I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Why another blog?

I've been enjoying writing my other blog for almost a year now, over at DJan-ity. But I've also felt a little constraint over there to keep my posts short and sweet, as well as relevant to my followers. I want to try a little memoir-type essay over at this spot, so I'm not going to limit myself in any way. I might write here a lot, a little, long or short, with pictures if I feel like it, or not.

A friend of mine, actually more like a sister, Maria Krenz, has just published her own memoir about her early life in Hungary (Made in Hungary: A Life Forged by History). You can order it from Amazon if you're interested, and of course I'll write a post about it, maybe here, or maybe on the other blog. Who knows? I'm allowing myself to open up in a way that I haven't felt since... well, ever.

My life has been filled with edges. I debated about the title of this blog for awhile, but I truly feel myself on the edge, often. Not only when I'm getting ready to exit an airplane (I've got a few jumps), or when I'm about to try something new, like this, but when life deals me with a real whammy. (I've had a few of those, too.) I want to write without boundaries about the edges in my life.

I hope you will join me here, but I will not allow myself to court followers. I did that on my other blog, because I wanted accolades, lots of people to love me, tell me how great I am. Before long I began comparing the number of my followers to others. (My blog is better than this; why does she have more followers?) Competition gets me every time. I am letting go of that need here, and I might only invite those who I think might be interested. But who knows? Once I get something on here I want to share with others because I'm really satisfied with it, I'll shout it from the rooftops. I know myself. (sheesh)

Already I feel the excitement of creation. I'm going to allow it to unfold and see where I go with it. I'm unsure of the reason I want to write these stories, but I do know I want them to have some things in common: to be real, true, and (hopefully) good.

7 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

Hope you don't mind that I came over a little early but your concept sounds very interesting.

What I hear is a writer talking, the stories are trapped inside your mind and need to be told. You are about to explore a new world and that is exciting. Enjoy, and write for yourself.

I have a feeling the two of us are alike in many ways. It's not so much that we compete with others as much as we compete with ourselves.

Judy

Far Side of Fifty said...

You go girl:)

wendyytb said...

Do you mind if I tag along on your new blog?

Whitney Lee said...

Writing is cathartic. For me it is often a release valve. There are times I don't know how I feel until I finish writing about it. Other times I am able to release negative emotions about a situation once I've written about it. Perhaps it's the same for you.
I'm looking forward to your journey.

The Retired One said...

I am just starting to read this other blog of yours in 2010, starting from the oldest post...I thought you hadn't started it yet, because I must have missed your announcement that you did..
so forgive me if my comments are a little late on the upcoming blogposts until I catch up.
I admire your unabashed effort to say with freedom whatever you want in this new blog and to revisit your past. It will be very cathartic for you.
I never stop admiring you for your courage and fortitude to explore and do the unknown.

Leave a Legacy said...

DJ, I didn't know you started another blog. I read the latest post and was glued to the computer. I am now starting from the beginning. I would also love to do a memoir some day but I'm afraid my life isn't as interesting as yours. And I have too much family around that I just couldn't let read all my inner thoughts and secrets. Maybe some day. You are a fantastic writer and a fantastic woman. I love the 3 pictures of you in the banner. Clearly the same beautiful girl to woman. We earn all those lines. I'm learning to appreciate my own lines more and more. They add to our looks, not the other way around.

CrazyCris said...

Wow, reading through all of these in one sitting (and backwards chronologically) has been pretty intense!

Sounds like your life has been something of a very interesting (and sometimes scary) rollercoaster... I look forward to reading more! ;o)