I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Long days and short nights

Last of the tulips
The time of the year that I go to bed before the sun goes down has arrived. We have days longer than 15 hours already, and by the summer solstice a month from now, the days will be longer than 16 hours. I am staying up a little longer than I do during the winter months, because when I snuggle into my covers at the the end of my day, it seems weird to see the sun shining onto my bed. For this reason, I have a sleep mask that I use to trick myself into thinking it's really dark outside.

I know there are people who love the extra-long days and short nights, but I am not one of them. After a good day's efforts, I must somehow get my eight to nine hours of rest, or the next day isn't much fun for me. I've always been an early-to-bed and early-to-rise sort of person. My best hours of the day start about 5:00am until early afternoon, when I begin to spend more time in my easy chair with a good book. Until then, I"m active and happy to be outdoors in my garden or at the gym working out, or out walking or hiking in the beautiful area I live in. As a retired person, I seem to find plenty to keep myself occupied, and the days fly by.

It's already Sunday again, which amazes me. Wasn't it just yesterday when I sat down in my bed with tea by my side, laptop situated on my legs, propped up and ready to write a post? No, it was a week ago, because here I am again, this time wondering what the heck to write about, since nothing much has emerged from the depths of my consciousness.

I've spent much of this past week reading. The library sends me a notice when books that I've got on hold arrive for me to pick up. Mostly they are books that fellow bloggers have recommended, or ones by authors I have recently enjoyed. By the time I get that email, often I've forgotten why I asked for that book, who recommended it, or what it's about. It's like a hidden treasure. Yesterday I picked up one by A.J. Finn, The Woman in the Window. It is new this year, and I have no idea what it's about or why I put a hold on it. I only get it for two weeks, because there are other people waiting for it. Apparently it's a thriller, so once I begin to read it, I'll be finished with it much sooner than that.

This week I also finished the final book in the Red Sparrow trilogy, not my usual fare, but my friend Judy had the first book in the series and lent it to me. Once I grew fond of the characters, of course I had to find out more about them. A movie was made about the first book, which wasn't well received, but the book was really good, about the world of spies and spycraft, which I knew little about before reading it. Some of the characters seem taken right from current events between Russia and the US. My only objection to the books was the amount of violence that I had to read about. There is enough real violence in the world that I prefer to read uplifting books.

Once I finished the last book, I perused the books I had previously read on my Kindle, and decided to re-read The Martian by Andy Weir. Although it was only a few years ago when I read it the first time, I had completely forgotten much of the events in the novel. It was almost like a first read. I enjoyed it thoroughly, so much so that I downloaded the movie yesterday and watched it again. The book is better, I think. If you don't know the story, it's about an astronaut who gets stranded on Mars when a six-person mission goes bad and he's left behind, supposedly dead, but he manages to survive in the Hab (Habitat) and figures out how to contact Earth. Although there lots of suspense and close calls, Mark Watney (the Martian) uses ingenuity and humor to help survive. Once Earth realizes his predicament, his survival becomes a worldwide rallying cry, with billions of people hoping and praying that somehow he would make it.

It made me wish that somehow or other we could have something like that to pull people together and concentrate on what we as humans share and not what makes us different. There is so much division and hate in the world today, enough to make me despair of any chance we might have as humans to one day live in harmony. Of course, anything is possible, and I wonder if I could make a difference in the world by simply living my own little life in as loving and caring way as I can. If enough people would do that, little by little, I believe we would begin to see a change in the world around us.

Albert Einstein seemed to think it would be enough. His words:
Nothing that I can do will change the structure of the universe. But maybe, by raising my voice I can help the greatest of all causes -- goodwill among men and peace on earth.
 Perhaps it's a pollyanna premise, but why not give it a chance? As Einstein says, nothing we can do will change the underlying structure of the universe, but we live and breathe on another plane of existence, too: that of like-minded people working to create a better world. We have instant communication these days, and although it is often misused, it can also (I believe) quickly create harmony and peace if we just knew how to begin. Maybe it begins now, right here, with each of us who read these words making a commitment to the greatest of all causes: goodwill among people and peace on our beautiful, precious planet.

I am reminded of the parable of the Hundredth Monkey. Do you know it? It goes like this:
The account is that unidentified scientists were conducting a study of macaque monkeys on the Japanese island of Koshima in 1952. These scientists observed that some of these monkeys learned to wash sweet potatoes, and gradually this new behavior spread through the younger generation of monkeys—in the usual fashion, through observation and repetition. Watson then concluded that the researchers observed that once a critical number of monkeys was reached, i.e., the hundredth monkey, this previously learned behavior instantly spread across the water to monkeys on nearby islands.
I lifted it from that Wikipedia link above, if you want to learn more about the history of this phenomenon. Whether or not there is such a thing as the hundredth monkey effect, it's quite possible that if enough people visualize world peace, we might actually make a difference. Who knows? What else do we have to do as we watch the world around us roiling in such turbulence and conflict?

Well, I'm starting right now. I'm looking over at my dear partner, sleeping contentedly, thinking of the sunny day ahead, my coffee shop friends, and putting a lovely circle of love and light around it all. My heart feels lighter already. I do hope that whatever you do today, you might imagine, just for a moment, that your loved ones and your world are beginning to merge with my own circle of light. Be well until we meet again next week, dear ones.

18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I didn’t know of the Hundreth Monkey Effect until you wrote about it. Interesting and curious. If each of us does our part, the world would be a better place. It’s hard sometimes to see the good but there are many positive things happening in the world. I make the effort to focus on the positive but it is easy to be pulled bavk into the depths. Refocus, I tell myself. Change is slow.

Linda Reeder said...

Your post has me reflecting back on the wedding sermon delivered by The Rev. Micheal Curry, a black man and the head of the Episcopal Church in the USA. He quoted MLK, "We must discover the power of love, the redemptive power of love. And when we discover that, we will be able to make of this old world a new world". Rev. Currry was quite dramatic and animated about the power of love, rocking some staid royals with a new experience from the pulpit. It was wonderful.

Tabor said...

I wish for peace for everyone every single day. I sure hope it is like a virus and spreads!

Elephant's Child said...

Echoing Tabor.
And longing for that day.

Anonymous said...

Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Everyone is angry, so angry...even drivers that drive like they are angry. Makes me want to be more of a hermit:)

Galen Pearl said...

The hundredth monkey--I love that. I have the same sleep habits that you do, but I seem able to go to sleep even before it's really dark. I love waking up with the early light in the morning instead of being up for hours before it gets light!

Red said...

I rarely reread anything but when I do I get far more out of it. I am always shocked when i make contact with some very obnoxious racist, violent people. I prefer working together. We won't get exactly what we want but things will be done.

Rita said...

Just call me a peace monkey! ;)

Trish MacGregor said...

Loved The Martian, book and movie. I've got his new one, Artemis, but haven't started it yet.

Arkansas Patti said...

Like in the Martian, sometimes I believe the only hope for us is to be facing a common goal or foe to make all of us bond together. But perhaps another way is the power of the pen. You may be on your way to creating the hundredth monkey. I'm sure at least that many have all ready read your post and are willing. I am.

Rian said...

My favorite color flower is pale pink... whether it be tulips, roses, or whatever. And I too go to be early (10pm)... and wake up (not as early as you) around 7:30. So my best part of the day is morning to about 3 pm. After that, I don't get a lot done (maybe nap or read). We saw the Martian movie. It was definitely interesting. You might enjoy watching "Passengers". On a routine journey through space one passenger is awakened from suspended animation 90 years too early. I found that one interesting too.
As far as the state of the world is concerned, I do believe that most people want the same thing... it's how we go about getting it that is different.

Deb said...

“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” ~ Albert Pine

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, This is a wonderful uplifting post and a great challenge for all of us. I’m going to try bringing world peace into more of my daily thoughts. Thank you, as always, for sharing and for your kind comments on my blog as well. Wishing you a fine week ahead. Take good care and be well. John

Dee said...

Dear DJan, you describe so well the Oneness that is basic to my belief system. Thank you. Peace.

Mage said...

What a wonderful entry.

Sally Wessely said...

You always have such thought provoking posts. I love that you read and think deeply and then share with the rest of us.

Linda Myers said...

I volunteer for a nonprofit called Do Your Part. That is all I can do: my part.