I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Compassion starts with me

Mt. Baker from Skyline Divide
I took this picture while hiking along the ridge on Skyline Divide last Thursday. Again, I lagged behind the others, suffering from the heat and the bugs, and I stopped for a lunch break before the rest of the group. Melanie stayed with me, I think partly because she was worried about me. The last few years I've noticed that the heat really bothers me when I try to hike uphill. Of course, what I'm able to do is still considerable, especially when I compare myself to other septuagenarians. There is something unpleasant that begins to happen to the body as it ages, and I sometimes forget that I'm no longer young.

Ten years. That's how long I've lived in the Pacific Northwest and have been going on these weekly hikes with the Senior Trailblazers. Many of the participants that were along back then are no longer hiking. One day, I'll be one of them who has to find other, less strenuous activities to enjoy. Truly, though, I hope that I can keep going for at least a few more years. That means I need to be kind to myself and forgiving of my shortcomings.

Yesterday I read a passage from a book that resonated with me. The author is trying to show how to be compassionate to oneself. He starts by asking why it is that we can be kind to others but berate ourselves and find it difficult to forgive that one person the way we do others. Here's the quote:
Compassion begins with self-acceptance. Self-acceptance first requires letting go of negative thoughts about yourself. And it requires being aware of the negative thoughts to begin with.
Awhile back I wrote about the Buddhist Five Remembrances, and in pondering them again today, I realize that I keep forgetting that life is change, nothing stays the same, and that the only true belongings I have, that I can keep, are my actions. "They are the ground upon which I stand. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions." When I forget to take care of myself, and when I extend my body past its limits, I pay the price. That's what I did a couple of weeks ago, and I regretfully acknowledge that I will never visit the top of Church Mountain again. Although I believe that today I am pretty much recovered, more than a week later, my knee is still bothering me and now I realize that I was deficient in self-acceptance. I wasn't taking care of myself.

Yesterday I walked with the ladies, my usual Saturday activity, and I was feeling strong and happily strode along with the others, not lagging behind, and being glad to be back in the swing of things. But you know I will forget, once again, that I must be kind to myself and will overdo it. It's my nature to overdo and push myself too far. But times are a-changing, and my body must be allowed to take longer and longer periods of recovery. Otherwise, I'll be falling over unable to get up. And all because I was unkind to myself, unrealistic in my thinking.

Some people are naturally compassionate to others but not to themselves. I'm one of them, I fear. It comes partly from having a competitive nature, and partly from being in denial about the vagaries of age. Yes, I know I'm guilty of this failing, but it's becoming evident that I must forgive myself and become more accepting of my nature. Otherwise, I'll continue to think if I just push myself a little bit more, I'll leave behind those aches and pains. Life doesn't work that way.

***

In the coming week, those of us who watch the sun make its way across the seasons will get to celebrate Lammas, summer's First Harvest. Although I've already been bringing in lots of vegetables from the garden, this is the time when the first grain is harvested and the first loaves of bread from the harvested grain are baked. It's also halfway between the summer solstice and the fall equinox.
August was considered an auspicious month for handfastings and weddings. But underlying this is the knowledge that the bounty and energy of Lugh, of the Sun, is now beginning to wane. It is a time of change and shift. Active growth is slowing down and the darker days of winter and reflection are beckoning.
 Soon the long days of summer will be but a memory, and I'll think back on all the wonderful days we spent in the High Country. And I'll also be glad to find ways to enjoy my favorite season, autumn. The equinox marks the Second Harvest, and the Third Harvest is at Halloween, when the nuts and berries are gathered. The circle of life reminds me to look around and enjoy it, not try to push the river, or pretend that it's a static condition. Every day that passes brings me closer and closer to a greater understanding of myself, if I allow it.

Now that I've written this post, I'm feeling like I've found a direction for the day's activities. I'll pay attention to how I treat that most important person in my life, me, and how much I can show compassion to myself. Not only that, but those around me will feel it, and it will spread out to the larger world. And we know the world needs all the compassion and kindness we can muster.

With that, I'm smiling over at my partner, still asleep, and finding myself ready to face the day filled with good feelings towards all. I hope that you will spend a little time today being kind to yourself, and that all will be well in your world. Until we meet again next week, I hope all good things will come your way.

18 comments:

justme_alive said...

I enjoyed your perspective today, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Linda Myers said...

I can see you sitting there with your laptop, your Sunday habit, and am grateful for your consistency and your good thoughts.

Linda d said...

Great thoughts and a wonderful way to start the day

Linda Reeder said...

When I woke, I checked to see if we had morning fog/clouds again. If we did, I was going to try to walk a mile or two. It has been over two weeks since I really set out on a good exercise walk. But it was bright and clear and already hot out on the streets, so I will have to postpone my trial run/walk. I am now reminded every day of my limits, as my arthritis progresses in my right hip, knee, and now, it would seem, my ankle. I joked yesterday at our garden club gathering that I need a new leg.
I will try to be kind to myself, but that will have to mean saying "no" to a lot of foods I like if I am not able to keep up my exercise walking. We'll see how it goes when the weather cools down this week. I want to push myself too, but pain is a warning.

Bonnie said...

I don't comment much but I just had to thank you. I am always kind to others but hard on myself. You help me to see that need to learn to accept and be kind to myself as well. Thank you and have a peaceful day.

Gigi said...

Very wise (and needed) words today. I am very hard on myself and my expectations of myself are high so when I fail I tend to beat myself up over it. The thought that I'm nicer to other people than I am to me is a sobering one.

Have a great week, DJan.

Arkansas Patti said...

I know the frustration of finding something you use to think easy, now takes much more effort or has to be scratched from my activities. Sigh.
Maybe find some of the past drop outs and form your own less challenging group.

Elephant's Child said...

I am much harder on myself than I am on others. And less forgiving. A work in progress. Always.
Thank you, yet again for your perspective.

Susan C. said...

It’s hard to carve out self care when everyone demands so much from you....you should be doing this or that...or the other! However you are correct in what you are saying, wether it’s climbing trails or rushing around caring for others we need to take the time to care for ourselves. But stilling the critical voices in our heads is a lifelong practice!

Galen Pearl said...

How wonderful to be reminded to be kind to ourselves. I've been feeling like I need a little extra care lately, so I've been very tender with myself.

About age and the heat, I am only a few years behind you, and I can tell the heat is hard for me to be out in for very long. On the other hand, I don't like to be cold, and I like the long days of summer, even if they are hot. But I'm sitting inside right now drinking iced chai tea and relaxing.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes be kinder to yourself! What happened to the other group of hikers...or are they all the same group now. You need a slower group that doesn't go as far especially when it is warm and it sounds like it is warmer than normal there. Take good care of you!

Red said...

I'm sure that people around you feel compassion. If compassion is on your mind , I'm sure it is experienced everyday. However, compassion is a good characteristic to practice

Trish MacGregor said...

DJan, you probably will outlive all of us who follow your blog!

Rita said...

Yes, how often are we more forgiving and kinder to others than with ourselves. So true. A good reminder today.

Is that hiking group the only group? Do they have a slower, gentler climbing group? You might have to check into that one day. I know you have said they have fast and slower walking groups? I know it would be hard to leave your usual hiking group and all the friends you've made, but you always seem to make new friends easily. Who knows who you might meet? :)

Rian said...

It's getting harder and harder to forget that we are no longer young... and unable to do all the things we used to do (or perhaps we can do them but our stamina isn't what it used to be).
Recuperating this week after 3 weeks of visitors and traveling, I know this is true for me. I love all the activity and comradery that is involved, but in truth, I'm exhausted at the end of the day. It irks me that this is so, but the fact is that at 73, despite being in pretty good physical condition - keeping up with everything is getting harder. So yes, DJan, we have to face the facts and be compassionate with ourselves - perhaps not stopping the activities we love, but possibly lowering our expectations. And in this extreme heat, it might also be the wise thing to do.

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Blessings.......
i agree with the quote on compassion.
I grew with a lot of older people as my friends. Part of my daily routine as a young woman was to have daily visits and sit downs with them. Coming from a community base society the elderly are well woven into the fabric of our daily lives/living into our extended families and are not cast aside live throwaways. I have seen the diverse told aging has on many of them and I dare say that a great attitude goes a long way in regard to the emotional and psychological quality of life. Some were angry as the passage became limiting in terms of what they can no longer do. Others range from depressed to acceptance. I have found that the ones who are more inclined to accept the aging process and are able to adapt to the limitations that naturally comes from getting older seemed happiest that the one who were angry and demonstrated that anger through abusive mean behavior. It often meant they became isolated as no one wanted to be the recipient of their verbal abuse.

I think it is wonderful that you are still able to hike despite of having to learn to paste yourself. My Tantie (aunt) at 79 loves to walk and she is just coming into acceptance that though her mind is willing her body is not as abled as it use to be. As an alternative she has adjusted and now take shorter walks remembering to consider the walk back as part of the total length of the walk.

have a great weekend.

Sally Wessely said...

Linda Myers summed up my thoughts. I so appreciate your thoughts and you consistency in sharing them with us on Sunday mornings. I am reading this on Wednesday afternoon, but I know that you always write on Sunday. I wish I had your consistency, yet as I write that, I realize I am not practicing good compassion towards myself.

When I first heard of practicing self-care as a regular occurrence, or on a daily basis, I had no idea even how to do such a thing. So often we really don’t take care of ourselves for reasons that don’t even make sense. Maybe we were brought up to think that doing such things was selfish. Now, I know that I care for others better when I make sure I have been honest with myself about my own needs and limitations.

Have a great week. I hope it isn’t too hot for you when you hike tomorrow. I just can not take the heat either. Me a former sun worshiper! Hugs.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, like you, I often fail to listen to my body and end up overdoing. Not so much with exercise as I am truly remiss in getting out side and walking. The heat and humidity here precludes walking during the day and I seldom get up early enough to enjoy the somewhat cool mornings. I overdo with my work at the computer--trying to write all that in my imagination. So thank you for these encouraging words about letting go and accepting change. I want not only to accept it, but to embrace the newness of aging and to find within it the lessons and gifts it offers. Peace.