I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Celebrating the equinox

Moonrise and Mt. Shuksan
I saw that several people who belong to another hiking group, the Mt. Baker Club, decided to take advantage of the great weather earlier this week and take an evening drive all the way up to the High Country in order to take pictures of the full moon rising behind the mountains, on the day of the Spring Equinox. It's rare for the moon to be full right at that time. It won't happen again for another 11 years. I think this picture was taken by Mark Wheatley; he is the one who distributed this picture, anyway. Isn't it stunning?

Yesterday I pondered what I might write about this morning, and for a while I considered writing a post about my son Chris, much like one I wrote a while back about my mother. So many of my loved ones are gone now, and although they still live on in my memories and photographs, thinking about them brings their essence alive again. That's when I realized that it was still painful to think about what to write, when it comes to Chris. He died almost two decades ago, in August 2002, and still I am hesitant when it comes to composing a post that would honor my long-gone child.

It has made me realize that I have a habit of burying unpleasant memories and thoughts that make me feel uncomfortable. Maybe everyone is this way, I don't know, but for me the sense of loss is submerged by everyday life, and it only comes up when I turn my attention in that direction. Mama died in 1993, a decade earlier than Chris, so maybe that's one reason why it's easier to think about her life. Or perhaps it's because it's not natural to lose and have to bury a child. Not that it doesn't happen every single moment of every single day, somewhere in the world we live in.

Coping mechanisms vary. I know several people who have lost a grown child, to accidents or illness or suicide. Some have almost defined their continuing existence by remembering and sharing memories, long afterwards. Others don't talk about it much. But I wonder how many are like me, averting their eyes and changing the subject. I am now in my twilight years, thinking ahead of how to spend the final decade (or two if I'm lucky) of my life. Longevity does not run in my family, and I've already outlived both of my parents. One of my sisters died in 2014, and the remaining siblings are all getting long in the tooth as well.

It's all happened so quickly! I sometimes forget my age, but not often, since age has also brought its share of aches and pains. I don't mind them all that much, but I know that there's not much reason for me to try to remedy them with doctor visits and even surgery, since they are as much a part of ageing as my white hair. And as I wrote last week, the Buddhist Five Remembrances is one way to keep in mind that everything is ephemeral and subject to change. But it isn't very uplifting to think that way; yes we know all that, but is it right to consider only the downside to being alive? That it will all end one day?

I have read many books during my lifetime, and some of them I have read more than once. It's my hope that my eyesight will last as long as the rest of me, since reading enriches my life so much. I'm always looking for another good book to read and appreciate, and since my interests cover the gamut from entertaining nonfiction to escapist novels, much of how I feel on any given day might be linked to the latest book I'm reading. My friend Judy gave me a book by Erik Larson, Thunderstruck, which I'm reading now. I didn't realize it until I began the book that I had already read another by the same author, Isaac's Storm, about the deadliest hurricane in history. He's a good author and is keeping my interest in this latest book, set in the early days of the twentieth century, in London, and it reminds me of how much our world has changed since then.

One of the best ways I've found to cope with difficulty, whether it's with the loss of our loved ones, or of youth, or any other cherished object, is humor. It comes with the territory of growing older, being able to appreciate the humor in just about everything that comes our way as the days and weeks and years pass. My friend John sends me emails filled with humor, and I find that as I laugh heartily at them, I feel ever so much better. Now that I have seen and felt so much of life, I think that I will choose to be a lover of all that makes us laugh. This brings to mind a poem that always makes me smile, written by Lewis Carroll in Alice in Wonderland (just a couple of stanzas here):
"You are old, Father William," the young man said,
"And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head—
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
 
"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure the brain;
But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again."
If you want to read (or remember) the entire poem again, I've linked it here for your enjoyment. That will be what I will share with you to celebrate the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere in 2019. 

Now that I've written this post and didn't get all maudlin as I was afraid I might, I'll start the rest of my day. My sweet partner is still sleeping quietly next to me, and my tea is long gone, so it's time to finish. As always, I wish you, my dear readers, a wonderful week ahead, filled with lots of laughter and light. Until we meet again next week.

17 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Like you, reading is such an important part of my life. One reason I love my Kindle. It will read to me almost any book I have purchased. Ok it is a bit mechanical but not unpleasant. Also my Echo Dot will read my Kindle books and while she is a bit more animated, she really reads as though it is a race. Still they are options should my eyesight fail.

gigi-hawaii said...

There have been 5 deceased members of my family - Dad, Mom, brother, sister in law, brother in law. My own nuclear family remains intact. Thank goodness.

Marie Smith said...

Reading has always been a big part of my life too. I just finished The Purchase by Linda Spaulding which I quite enjoyed.

I protected myself from confronting a great loss because it is just too painful. I did that with my father’s death. I had the ringer on the phone turned off so my family didn’t hear the hospital’s call when Dad was dying. I felt guilty about it for a long time. I finally let go of the guilt and let myself feel the pain of his death. It was such a relief really.

Linda Reeder said...

I am so enjoying spring! I know you are too. A Robin's song in the morning can soothe a sorrowing soul.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You should write about what ever you like, it is your blog. Write about Chris he was a very important part of your life....you loved him.
I like laughter too...and try to recall the good, fun times with those who have died.
I hope you have a week of good laughs...laughter is the best medicine:)

Rian said...

It is a strange feeling when you lose your parents and your siblings... and you're the only one left from your original family. It's kind of like being orphaned - but as an adult. Losing one's parents is hard, but different from losing your siblings. I would have liked to have them around to grow old with me. But I can't even imagine losing a child... at any age... and you've lost 2. It may be healthy to talk about it... or better yet, to write about it... when the time is right.

William Kendall said...

My mother died of cancer some years ago. Two brothers died, one in middle age, the other as a boy in drowning. Two nephews as well.

Grief is something, in my experience, that we learn to live with, but it stays with us.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, I love this ... "One of the best ways I've found to cope with difficulty, whether it's with the loss of our loved ones, or of youth, or any other cherished object, is humor. It comes with the territory of growing older, being able to appreciate the humor in just about everything that comes our way as the days and weeks and years pass." You are so right. This remined me of something my mom told me back when I was a kid ... Sometimes there are only two things you can do ... laugh or cry. It has always helped me to try to find the humor. Now, regarding those emails from John ... How about asking him to cc me? :-) Thank you for sharing this post. And one more thing ... you continue to give me kind comments on my blog even though I'm posting every day. You are amazing and I thank you for the encouragement! Have a great week ahead! John

Tabor said...

I have a son with the same name as your son. His life has been difficult and he has been very very sick a number of times in the past two years. My life has been a roller coaster and I cannot write about this. Trips up to the city with my heart in my throat and then back
home days later with a reprieve. He is the cause of his illness. Maybe someday I will be able to share with readers, but who needs sadness?

Gigi said...

You certainly aren't alone in burying unpleasant memories. I think a lot of us do that.

Humor is what helps get us through life. If we don't have humor what is the alternative? Crying? I'd rather try to laugh through life when I can.

Sending cyber-hugs, my friend.

Red said...

One of your key points is that we all have our own ways of coping and surviving. You try to keep a very positive outlook and humor helps with that. My parents lost an 11 year old daughter. My dad didn't cope well with it until the day he died. He went on with life but it was forever changed.

Rita said...

Humor is like a healing salve for my soul. I always know I'm in trouble when I can't find something to laugh about. I also find that focusing on how lucky I was to have the people in my life that aren't here anymore really helps, too. Kind of a blending of joy and sadness, I guess. Have an uplifting week, Jan! :)

Brig said...

We all handle loss in different ways, it is the nature of being human.
I have lost loved ones, and I've handled each differently. My way of coping is to try to forget the bad and remember the good. Wait, that is not true... I have forgiven the bad and remember the good. Some I can write about on my blog, others I can't. And I'm fine with that.

Trish MacGregor said...

As always, a heartfelt post.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, I just realized that in my earlier comment I forgot to mention the starting photo ... Moonrise and Mt. Shuksan by Mark ... wow, that is truly an amazing picture. Thanks so much for sharing it and please give congrats to Mark.

C-ingspots said...

I just love you DJan! :) Every time, without fail, when I visit you here, I feel blessed. You give me reason to ponder, question, wonder and especially smile. I so appreciate your wisdom from life. You my dear friend, are a treasure for which I heartily give thanks this morning! Thank you and may you also marvel and laugh as this (yet another) week draws to a close.

Won't it be a grand day when you hug your Chris again?

Galen Pearl said...

It has been a hectic week for me, so I'm just now getting to your post. I'm reading a book The Wild Edge of Sorrow that talks about different kinds of grief and how to embrace and integrate it into our lives. Poignant and sweet reflections from you in this post!