I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter Sunday

Our Easter finery
My father took this picture of Norma Jean and me almost seventy years ago, in front of what must have been his pride and joy, our family car. I pulled this picture up at the coffee shop last week, and we discussed what kind of car that was. I heard names of automobiles that brought back old memories: Studebaker, DeSoto, Packard. We were never able to agree on what this car might be, but it's got two cuties standing in front of it, Easter baskets in hand.

I think Mama might have made our dresses. Mine is pale yellow, and Norma Jean's is pale pink, and hers has more of a ruffle on the bottom, but otherwise they are identical. I have used this picture before on this blog, but I never thought much about the car before. At the coffee shop, we perused many different makes of 1950s cars online but never saw any that look quite like this one. You can also see our home in the background, believe it or not. We lived on Travis Air Force Base in a duplex tar-paper shack, which housed enlisted servicemen and their families.

I am hopeful that the military no longer uses tar paper to make these buildings, because it contained a high quantity of asbestos in those days. We didn't live there too awfully long, but I wonder about our exposure to it at the time. These buildings were constructed as temporary housing, I'm sure. It's interesting to see such a fine automobile in front of such a home, don't you think?

For many years, I have wondered just what we did after this picture was taken. We never went to church when I was growing up, so did we just get all dressed up for the occasion and then play with our Easter baskets? It's a mystery to me, and unfortunately there is nobody still alive to ask. Neither of us remember all these years later.

The reason for Easter was never discussed, either. I'm sure that the religious aspect of the holiday never occurred to me. It was a time for a new dress and a basket filled with hard-boiled eggs and jelly beans, with maybe a bit of chocolate. There was never any mention of Jesus or any of that. Being raised in a home without any religious instruction seemed normal, because I didn't know any different, but now I wonder if it was really a blessing in disguise. I know many people who have rebelled against their family religion, but since I was free to learn all about it myself, I was able to choose what fit me best.

When I was a teenager living in Georgia, I started attending the nearby Episcopal Church, and before long my sister had also joined. We went to weekly services, and Norma Jean even began singing in the choir. I don't think I did, but I do remember going to Midnight Mass at Christmastime and truly enjoying all the pageantry. I was hungry for religious instruction and read the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer all the time, alarming my parents. At one point as a young teenager, I considered entering a religious community. The important thing for me at the time was how attractive the religious habit was; Episcopal convents weren't all that numerous, but I did study which one I'd like to join.

Obviously, that phase didn't last. But what has remained with me all these years later is the realization that I need some kind of faith to be happy and fulfilled. I don't attend church any more, but I did join several more denominations in my quest to find my own place. I was a Unitarian Universalist for many years, and then I moved on to study Buddhism and Hinduism. Now, in my later years, I realize that much of these religions are now part of me, without differentiating how much comes from each. They all live in my heart and soul.

Easter is filled with new beginnings and comes at a time of year when the environment is coming alive again after the winter period of dormancy. The birds sing, flowers bloom, and green shoots sprout up in every corner. When I walk to the bus early in the morning, I see changes from day to day, with tiny buds becoming flowers overnight and raindrops glistening on the leaves. A smile comes unbidden, my steps become lighter, and the beauty all around me fills me with gratitude.
We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining - they just shine. —Dwight L. Moody
Today I feel like letting my light shine, all day long, while at the coffee shop, digging in the garden, or writing this post on Easter Sunday. My partner still sleeps quietly next to me, my tea had turned cold before I finished it, but it's gone too, and the day beckons. I hope this day will be a wondrous one for you, my dear reader, and that whatever you decide to do with this day, you will also let your light shine. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things.

18 comments:

Tabor said...

Religions should be about letting light into the world, but often they fight with each other. So sad. I went to church almost every Easter, but do not remember my parents going with us!!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I too have a basket of religions inside me and they are for my personal inner strength. I studied world religions at uni and my kids were raised in multi monotheistic religions and each has chosen their own path. We are really late with spring. As for the car, I think the placement of lights might help solve your riddle.

Linda Reeder said...

The sun is shining on our glorious spring morning. I will go for my Easter morning walk, and about noon we'll join our little family for dinner and an egg hunt and the celebration of two April birthdays. My light will be shining.
Happy Easter Day to you, too!

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Easter!

Terra said...

You two are so cute in the photo and the car does look like it was your dad's pride and joy. My mom made our dresses too, and I always had a little hat, purse and gloves to wear to church on Easter. I love being a Christian and having fellowship with other Christians in our church, and enjoyed how you explained your faith journey. My church cares for our members and for many people in need including people struggling with addiction; we recently started a new group called Widow Friends which I joined.

Arkansas Patti said...

How cute you were all dressed up and nowhere to go. My Dad took me to several different churches from Catholic, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, etc to see if one would appeal to me. He was agnostic but thought I should have a choice and if I chose none, he would have been content. I too eventually chose Episcopal as I liked the ceremony. Today, my faith is not organized but personal.
Happy Easter.

Gigi said...

Happy Easter, D'Jan. I loved that quote and, yes, I'm sure your light shines nice and bright to everyone who crosses your path.

Marie Smith said...

That picture is precious!

Hope you had a lovely day, dear Jan.

Elephant's Child said...

Like Marie I LOVE that photo.
Shine on, dear DJan. Shine on...

Linda Myers said...

I was dropped off at Sunday School as a child, sang in a choir as a Protestant, married a Catholic, left a church and now am a UU, but only by affiliation. I believe the best path is love and service, and I try to do that. When I emerge from a four-hour Saturday night shift at an asylum seekers' shelter, I feel like I've been to church.

Happy Easter to you!

Red said...

Interesting how you got to the conclusion of your post with let your light shine. Along the way the things you tried left you with influences. You live your life by what you've done.

The Furry Gnome said...

It was a wondrous day for me!

Corny said...

Perhaps a 1948 De Soto

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Easter... I will show Far Guy the car

Rita said...

You do shine, my friend.
Happy Easter. :)

Glenda Beall said...

The most important thing, I think, is letting your life shine for others to see. I like the quote Let you life be a lesson to others. That is what I try to do, but lately I'm not too good at it.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. So many things to like ... starting with that picture. So sweet! But best, to me, is the way you’ve incorporated aspects of various religious beliefs into your heart in a compatible way. Have a great week and take good care. John

Galen Pearl said...

That is so interesting that y'all were dressed up for Easter but didn't go to church. I grew up in the Bible belt so Easter dresses and bonnets were all about going to church. My cousin would have known what that car was. When were were growing up she could identify every single car on the road -- make, model, and year! I was in awe of her.

Like you, as I've gotten older, I'm less concerned about a particular religious doctrine. There is depth and beauty and spiritual enrichment in many traditions. "Light" shines without discrimination! And yours shines brightly every week!