I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 4, 2019

Finding a way to happiness

Walking into the mist
Is it possible to develop a stress disorder without ever having been exposed to direct violence? Sometimes I wonder if I have it. Every single loud noise at the gym or on the street makes me jump, tense up, and sometimes even emit a scream. I don't trust cars to stop for me when crossing the street, even in a crosswalk with proper lights and signals. I have become rather skittish when out in public. Perhaps my sister has it right: she avoids the news and doesn't watch anything on TV that tells about current events. Yesterday's news about two separate mass shootings has put me on edge. (Sorry, Norma Jean. I won't say anything more about them.)

Current events, especially gun violence, have shaken me to the core. When did all this start? I don't remember growing up afraid of people with guns on the street. It is definitely a growing problem, but I don't understand why. Of course I looked it up on google and found an article on Vox, written last month:
Gun violence in the US is often talked about as if it’s a single problem. But it’s really at least four different ones: suicides, urban gun violence, domestic violence, and mass shootings. Suicides are the majority of the nearly 40,000 gun deaths in the US in 2017. But urban violence is the second biggest category, making up a majority of the 14,000 gun homicides that same year.
 It's not just me, of course, who is upset about the proliferation of guns and the men who like to have them around. And it's usually men, it seems to me, that buy multiple guns and sometimes shoot up people in random settings. Why? Most of the time they die, too: are they suicidal and want to take people along with them when they die? I just don't understand it.

I remember the first time I saw a gun. I was maybe nine or ten years old, and my father, who was in the Air Force, had returned from a temporary duty assignment. He placed his gun on the top of the refrigerator, and my sister and I decided to get a couple of chairs to climb up and take a look at it. We didn't touch it, but I remember it was a handgun and looked very scary to my young eyes.

I was an adult and a young mother when President Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. Five years later, I remember Martin Luther King's death. They were both felled by guns. These days, I wonder what these two men would think of what is going on in this country right now.
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. —Martin Luther King, Jr.
Well, that quote from King pretty much sums it up, to me at least. Hate is busy multiplying in our country, as he says, "adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars." He does, however, give us a solution: love. As hard as it is for me to figure out how to do that, I know I can.

I can start where I wake this morning: by taking stock of all the wonderful parts of the surrounding world, including my country, my home town, my loved ones. Concentrating on finding love all around me is the only way forward, as I see it. Rather than concentrating on what scares me, I can look beyond to that which makes me smile, laugh, and gives me hope for the future.

Not everyone has the ability to find peace and happiness in their surroundings. Some of us live in desperate circumstances, but that is not me, not today at least. I see small acts of kindness around me every day. Why, I even practice them myself. Kindness feels good, too, both offering it to others and receiving it as well.

The choice is mine to make: concentrate on what I can offer to the world around me that will add joy and love, or let myself get pulled into the morass of hate. Nope, I won't do that, and I sincerely ask my readers to consider just one act of kindness that you might add to your world today. Each spark of loving kindness adds to the flame of happiness. Just writing those words feels good, and I know we are up to the challenge.

So, today I will make every attempt to make my world a better place. First, I'll start by finishing this post and getting myself ready to go out into the bright sunshiny day. Maybe I'll be able to finally spend some time in my garden, since my back is so much better, and pull out weeds and give the plants and flowers some room to spread out a little. I hope you will also find something that will add positive thoughts to your own small universe. I'll do the same, and we will have already made a positive difference in the world.

My dear partner still sleeps next to me; my tea is gone. Until we meet again next week, I hope you will find much to smile and laugh about, and that you will be well. I wish you all good things.

21 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

Thank you for this post

Rian said...

DJan, your post today reminds me of that saying, "it's better to light one little candle than to curse the darkness". And yes, I too wonder where all this violence is coming from? And I too find myself on edge these days. (Perhaps that's the plan someone is instigating? or possibly it's due to aging?) But as you said (in so many words) we can choose love over hate. It is a choice. Seems like such a small thing... to do a kindness and/or just make someone smile today. But it's a start.

gigi-hawaii said...

It is sad that men need guns in the first place. Why do they feel the need to kill people they don't even know?

Linda Reeder said...

While I am perhaps a bit more aware of my surroundings, I am not fearful. It is better to look people in the eye, greet them, and smile at them. It's surprising how often I'll get a smile back from a complete stranger.
Engaging strangers in conversation also is a pleasant alternative to being afraid. We always meet lovely people when we do that. Goodness abounds.

Linda Myers said...

"We are all in this together, and we are all the same." That's my mantra these days. I make a positive difference where I can, in the small things.

Marie Smith said...

I always tell our granddaughters to be kind. It is so important. An act of kindness every day is a small but important act for a better world. Have a great week, Jan.

Glenda Beall said...

DJan, you and I are on the same theme today. I wrote my thoughts on why we have so much hatred and killing in our country on my blog, www.profilesandpedigrees.blogspot.com and am asking for comments today. I am deeply troubled by these mass shootings and while I feel my little town is very safe on the surface, I know there is an underground of racism and prejudice and even hate but I never see it. This week I had a very nice example of kindness when I sat in my mobile cart at the grocery store doorway waiting for the downpour to stop. A woman asked if I needed help. I told her I was waiting for the rain to stop and I had asked a bag boy if he could go and get my car for me. I was awaiting his reply. The stranger said "Can I get your car for you?" You will get wet, I said. But she put a plastic bag over her hair and took my keys. She brought my car right up to the door and then helped me put my groceries into my car. I know there is plenty of love and kindness in our people, in our country, but I feel we must be aware of that underground group of people who do these terrible crimes. Our leaders must act.

Galen Pearl said...

I know. So much violence I can't even take it all in. And I'm not even much of a news watcher. But still I see the headlines on the computer -- hard to miss. My daughter called me a couple of days ago. There was a shooting near her home and one of the shooters got away. She said there were police helicopters overhead and police cars going up and down the street. With two young children at home, she was terrified.

I grew up with a gun in the house -- my dad was a duck hunter and he had a shotgun. When I was old enough I got a .22 rifle that I used for marksman target practice. I was taught to use it safely and properly. I never thought of guns as a source of danger like they are now. I do not have a gun in my house and would never consider having one.

We seem to be living in a time of chaos and violence. We kid ourselves if we think this does not affect our mental health. What can we do but what you are doing -- try to manifest peace in our little corners of the world.

Trish MacGregor said...

Three mass shootings in a single week, all perpetrated by white nationalists who may be emboldened by trump's racist comments. We have enough divisiveness and hatred in this country. It shouldn't be stoked by the president.

Elephant's Child said...

Kindness is a huge gift - to give and to receive.
As always I love your Sunday musings. Thank you, and I do hope your week is filled with beauty and love.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Mental Illness abounds in America. Everyone seems so angry and unhappy... as I understand the fellow in Ohio had no prior police problems and bought the guns legally.

What is the root of the problem? I am not certain but I have many thoughts...is it the 15 minutes of fame...or a movie deal...or troubled children from broken homes that grow up and just want to kill people? Drug or alcohol problems? Those a re just a few of the ideas that come to mind...some people just want attention...sad...very sad.

Red said...

Yes, kindness to each other is important. Thinking of others rather than yourself brings peace. However, with your alarm at loud noises, I wonder if you have hearing loss. People with hearing loss are often startled by loud noises.

Arkansas Patti said...

Love your kindness effort. One act will cause ripples that can spread quite far. Think I too will try to make that a daily goal.
I grew up with guns and own two today but neither is designed to kill only humans. People don't hunt any thing but humans with AK47s. Surely we have reached the last straw and will finally pass some legislation with teeth.

Friko said...

I think I replied to this post on the previous post, I hope I haven’t got messed up completely.
You are quite right, only kindness and goodwill to others can alleviate the pain of the world’s ills.

Rita said...

I get upset with our government where profits are worth more than lives in so many ways. I can only watch so much of the news at a time...but I can't turn away, either. To me the present brings back the turbulent 60s, assassinations, riots, and Watergate. I keep telling myself that our country survived all that so we should be able to survive this. :)

The Furry Gnome said...

Living in Canada, I am just astonished every time there is another mass shooting and nothing changes!

William Kendall said...

Among other things, the sort of person who does this is raging at their own mediocrity, and instead of doing something positive about it, they just give into the rage and take up something that is far too readily available- the gun.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you. Peace.

Madeline Kasian said...

I have a friend who has a counseling practice and says after the election of 2016, and since, she is seeing more patients with stress and depression related to their fears and stresses of the world around them. A malaise that many feel, due to the "bigger picture" out there.I feel it too.I fight it at times, but weeks like this last one sure make it hard. Sometimes the world just feels like a not very kind place anymore.

C-ingspots said...

That is truly the key to overcoming hate, violence and deep unhappiness...love. What each one of us as individuals can do, is spread love and kindness in our personal sphere. In the infamous words of Eleanor Roosevelt (I think), is to "do what you can, where you're at, with what you've got". We cannot change the world, unless each and every one of us spreads love and kindness everywhere we go, wherever we can. And it doesn't have to be something big, just a smile, a simple act of helping someone, an act of grace. To me, it all has to do with the teachings in the Bible. As a society, we have become so disconnected with Jesus and His teachings, that we don't know how to treat each other, we're distrustful and unkind. When we push God out of our lives, we get just that...He backs away and allows bad to happen. Why does everyone ask "why"? That is why! Our world and our lives are the center of a battle between good and evil. Evil is becoming more predominant, and people have no faith, so they lost hope. I can't imagine living life without that hope of a better life to come. Even that quote from MLK is straight from the Bible...
A lot of people want to blame politics, but it's so much bigger than that.

Frank said...

Yes, C, I agree. The only thing we can do now is love. Just little specks here and there will make a big difference. But, I'm afraid, it will not be enough. Countries are not caring or otherwise feeling anything. It's people who care and feel or not. The world has been going to hell in a handbasket as long as there have been people because people are not fundamentally good. As long as the Prince of the Air is in charge, that right, old Satan himself, though on some kind of lease, we will continue to fall. But We have hope, do we not.