I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Respect and disrespect

Misty forest
I found this picture, taken last month by Rita Eberle-Wessner on Flickr. I immediately started following her and simply love the feeling of this wonderful scene, first because it's in a forest, and second, the light coming through the mist. I'm not alone in liking it; I see it is cited in many people's favorites. The camera, a Canon EOS Mark IV is one reason Rita was able to capture such beauty.

But it takes more than a good camera to be a successful photographer. You've also got to be able to see the scene before you can capture it. Before the advent of the smartphone, I had a real camera, and I got some great pictures. Having the chance to take a picture and see it immediately has helped many fledgling photographers to change settings, try again, and improve the image. I wonder if anyone anywhere misses the days when you took a picture and had to wait until you got the prints back to see the results. Certainly not me.

Yesterday was the 4th of July holiday, and I didn't get much sleep last night. Although the city's fireworks had been canceled, and fireworks within the city limits are now illegal, it made no difference to the many people who decided to flaunt the rules and set them off. For hours! They didn't even begin to stop until midnight, and it was simply terrible to hear. I fell asleep several times, only to be awakened by an especially loud bang. Very disrespectful to others, in my opinion.

The idea of respect for others has been on my mind lately. It seems that as the world gets more and more populated, those who don't respect differences in opinion want to dominate and force others to change their minds. It happens in every aspect of life, but especially these days, in the middle of a pandemic. It never occurred to me that the simple wearing of a mask could become such a flashpoint. It's a measure of respect for others, it seems to me, and somehow it's now become a sign of political correctness. Some people see it as an infringement of civil liberty, but that makes no sense to me. You cannot walk around in public without clothes, and if you did anyway, you would be arrested.

When I look at other countries, wearing a mask is not seen that way, and we Americans are not making much sense. Our ability to keep the coronavirus contained has fallen apart, and the terrible damage to our economy, our lives, and our national standing is more evident by the day. Some mornings I wake up and wish it had all been just a bad dream. But it's not.

Yesterday I went for a nice walk in the sunshine and took a route that we had often walked during those days in the past when so many of us got together on a Saturday and took a brisk walk around town. The route took me up to the Western Washington University campus, and I ran into very few people along the way. Almost everyone, even outdoors, was wearing a mask. You could see people coming from a distance, and I saw they did the same thing as me: pulling up their mask as we got close to one another and then letting it fall back around the neck after we passed by. It shows respect, it seems to me.

As I left campus and grew closer to town, there were many more people out and about, enjoying the sunshine, and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. As I got closer to the boardwalk and people were everywhere, our masks stayed on our faces. Although the buses weren't running yesterday because of the holiday, I have noticed that when I pass one these days, the sign on the front has changed to toggle between the route number and a sign that says, "thank you for wearing a mask." Our governor has mandated mask wearing whenever you leave your home and cannot socially distance from others. And that order seems to be widely respected in our town.
Respect is one of life's greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don't have that? —Marilyn Monroe
 Today will be another nice day, with lots of sunshine. It's often said that in the Pacific Northwest, summer starts after Independence Day, and this year it has been borne out: a cool and rainy June, followed by clouds clearing and temperatures rising after the holiday. Not too much, I hope, since I love the coolness and have a more difficult time when the temperature starts to heat up into the eighties and nineties (that would be 27 to 33°C). But it is usually late July to early August before we get there. I will enjoy the summer months but once it begins to get hot, I'll start looking forward to fall.

My goodness, look at the time! I've been sitting here pondering what to write and two hours have slipped away. I woke at the usual time, I can't help it, but my dear partner sleeps away next to me. No tea left, and nowhere to go today. No appointments, no yoga, just whatever presents itself, once my obligation to write this post is finished. I hope wherever you are in the world, and whatever your circumstances, you will find some time today to give thanks for the blessings that surround you. Even if they are hard to find, I have no doubt they are there. And know that I send you my respect for the life that we share. Virtual connections have become amazingly important to me, and the one I share with you, my dear readers, is no different.

Until we meet again next week, be safe and search for the sometimes elusive Easter Egg of happiness. It's there, somewhere! I wish you all good things.

21 comments:

Rian said...

Love your post this morning, DJan. I've been thinking a lot about respect lately also... mostly that I want to say to people who refuse to wear a mask "Please understand... this is a VIRUS. It doesn't respect your rights". IMO we wear a mask these days BECAUSE we respect each other's right to life. It's that simple.

BTW, that picture is awesome!

Linda Reeder said...

Thinking about that beautiful photo, and about cameras and taking photos, I have realized how much I see so many things now as if framed in my camera. Digital cameras are wonderful. I also notice that I hardly ever use my big Canon any more, since I got my iPhone 8. Cell phone cameras are so good now for most things, and so easy to use. And when I get home, iCloud has deposited all my photos on my desktop computer, where I can edit and manage them in files.Love it!
I really like your post about respect. That's what mask wearing is. I guess I have to learn to respect the choice of someone not to wear one, but that may not be possible. I guess I will have to refrain from commenting though, since when I asked a lady in the grocery store where her mask was, she said I was being very aggressive and I should be careful because someone might hurt me. I guess I was not being respectful of her choice not to be respectful. Sheesh!
Friday night was noisy here. Things settled down last night fairly soon after midnight, but then we were still up then anyway. We expect the Fourth to be noisy.
Thanks for the great post. Today will be a slow day for me. Things hurt and I can no longer take my NSAIDS.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Yes respect is so valuable as we live in communities. It has been slipping away more in some areas than others and it is a global issue now with so much media . I am glad for the fact that I live in Canada yet here to the systemic issues of lack of respect are appearing. It is sad. The virus has lead to many deaths globally and while we need respect more than ever it is being challenged. My guess is humans will soon see robots managing many things and AI may not care about respect.
I love the photo you posted. Real cameras now have GPS and instant sharing if they are recent versions. It is all so different.
I am more blind now and Dee Ready too. Posting is a challenge. I wish you well.

Marie Smith said...

We have three new cases of Covid after being virus free for over two months. We haven’t been put on more restrictions again but we just opened the province to other people on Saturday. Everything could change again quickly. We’ll enjoy the freedom while we can and take precautions just the same.

Respect is so important. If we respect each other, we wouldn’t tolerate I’ll treatment of anyone. Wearing a mask is a part of it as you said. Respect for oneself and one’s family should be reason enough to wear one.

Those Covid parties where the first one infected wins a prize...There are no words...

gigi-hawaii said...

It's incredible that the cases have been increasing, not decreasing. Frightening. Yes, let's all wear masks to curb the spread of this awful disease.

Marty said...

I'm glad you live in an enlightened area. Massachusetts is a pretty good state to be in right now. I haven't run into many problems here, but then I don't venture very far. You can see from my posting today that all this has been on my mind, too.

Glenda Beall said...

DJan, I am encouraged that in your area, people are wearing the masks. I have two friends whose adult children have the virus or have been exposed. Now my friends are concerned about their own health. Sadly, one adult child has all the symptoms of the virus but cannot get tested until next week. "Only test once a week" she was told. She lives in Georgia which has been a state that has opened too soon and people there are seldom wearing masks. Another Georgia friend has a son who was exposed to a woman whose parents both have COVID 19. He is self-quarantined at the home of a friend, but his other friends are coming in to visit with him. The lack of respect by the younger people is appalling to me. Simply respect others and wear a mask. Don't be careless and expose others when you can help it. How do we reach the younger adults in this country who often say the pandemic is not real? They say it is a political hoax. If they can't see it, they don't believe it. Stay home as I do and try to make the best of our crazy world.

Friko said...

New cases are still happening although the increase has slowed down. Lockdown has been eased and people are able to go to the pub again. I wonder how soon that will show in the numbers?

If we all take care, respect each other’s health and wellbeing, life might yet return to a semblance of normal.

I must take my camera and go out. As I go on my own and live in the depth of the countryside there shouldn’t be any problem, but I will wear a mask if necessary. It’s seen as common sense here, nothing to do with freedom and political correctness. Silly fools, if they catch virus, so be it, but unfortunately they will infect the more careful people.

Patricia in southern Minnesota said...

I don't disagree with the things you said about respect. But maybe it's okay to let go this one night and ignore all the fireworks and noise. I like the idea of people and family and friends just letting go and once a year having a noisy time celebrating Independence Day. Just my opinion. I wouldn't want to deal with it any more often than that though. :-)

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for the serene and lovely photo you opened this post with. Heart balm.
I have seen discussion that mask wearing is an invasion of civil liberty and don't understand. Are restrictions about driving while drunk also such invasions? They both strike me as acts which show consideration of others. Acts which may prevent death.
Stay well and stay safe.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful photo! Hope you found something to do with your day! You sound at loose ends...sure hope you find something to cheer you up and make you feel good again!
Stay safe...we recycled yesterday that was our outing...but then the kids and dogs came...the dogs sure helped cheer us up! :)

Arkansas Patti said...

Love that picture. It beckons us to enter a quiet and peaceful place. You are so right about respect but sadly it is a missing gene in some folks. Liked your reference about wearing no clothes. Hey, people can go naked all they want in public. Just hope they take a towel to sit on in jail.

Gigi said...

Respect seems to be in short supply these days. *sigh* No, I don't pine for the olden days of taking pictures. Although, back then, I was prompt with the printing, labeling and putting them into albums. Now, I rarely have prints made.

Have a great week!

Red said...

Respect and disrespect are two sides of coin. We can make choices. I don't wear a mask because it's too difficult with glasses but I know I should wear a mask.

Rita said...

I have been thinking about that, too. People who claim it is their right not to wear a mask is--bottom line--them saying I have a right to kill myself and to kill others. Is it ignorance...denial...vanity...lack of compassion...a political stance...can't be bothered? Regardless, it's harmful and possibly deadly. Imagine how they will feel if they kill someone they love. It would tear me up. How can I not wear a mask and do whatever I can not to, at the very least, purposefully pass the virus on? You are lucky you live in an area where people are given that guidance and are being good citizens. :)

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, there are still some dedicated film photographers out there. I have no interest in returning to the past.

Yes to respect and consideration. Act as part of a concerned community rather than get all bent out of shape over a perceived limit on personal freedom.

http://peacefulheartopenmind.blogspot.com/ said...

Respect is sadly lacking these days but like you, I am always happy to see it when it happens. Perhaps if people showed a little more respect of others, things would get better rather than keep going downhill.

Tabor said...

Regarding hot weather, summer is my least favorite of seasons. We have July and August as being very hot. Our president made the masks an issue because he has such a fragile ego and thinks everything is about image. We have a year of this...although the young think it is over and they are safe.

Linda Myers said...

I try to be respectful in my life, and I think when that isn't reciprocated it's because the other person is afraid.

My husband and I raised eight kids in our blended family, and when they were teenagers and in their 20s they all made foolish choices. I think it's part of the age, so I don't usually take it personally.

Today it will be 108 in Tucson. I'm grateful to be indoors with good air conditioning.

William Kendall said...

Fireworks here got cancelled because of corona.

Margaret said...

I agree with you about masks and am glad that some people are wearing them. It seems like most city folk are OK with them, but it's in rural/suburban WA that they are refusing. It's mixed in Puyallup where I live; most of us wear the masks but there are also Covidiots. I'm always happy when the 4th is over. My cat dislikes sudden explosions.