I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 2, 2020

At the top of summer 2020

Lupine and Indian paintbrush
Well, here we are, already into the first days of August. This is probably my least favorite month of the year, since it's also the hottest (unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere, where it's the coldest). It's a month of extremes here in the Pacific Northwest. Unremitting sun, for the most part, with few clouds and little rain. Just about the opposite of the rest of the year. Last week Melanie and I went on a scouting trip looking for summer flowers, when she took the picture above. I have one almost the same, except there is only one lone paintbrush in mine. You might not be able to see how hot it was from the picture, but it was well out of my comfort zone.
The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color. ―Natalie Babbitt
That quote says it all for me. Yes, it's the top of the year, with the coming weeks and months taking me into fall, my favorite season. And this year, the strangest I've ever experienced, will be accompanied in the coming months with face masks, social distancing, more hand washing, and no gatherings of any size. It will be a year without hikes with the Senior Trailblazers, no visits to the gym for exercise class, and very limited face time with my friends.

Many of the regular hikers have broken off into smaller groups. We are allowed to gather in groups of five or fewer, but for us, it's been the same three people. On Thursday afternoon, our usual hiking day, we have a Zoom gathering that is visited by many of my dear hiking buddies, and I get a chance to hear what others are doing. There are a few who enjoy going fast and long; others that are more sedate, like me. Melanie could choose to go with the first group, and she sometimes does, but she also likes to slow down now and then with me. I've decided that I'm done with the hard hikes and will limit my outings to eight or nine miles, tops.

I have a nice four-mile walk in the neighborhood that I take two or three times a week, usually early in the morning these days, and listening to podcasts as I walk. I bought myself some Apple AirPods that I really enjoy using. They have a noise canceling feature that works very well, and with a quick tap, I can make it possible to hear other sounds around me. The only time I use them is when I am out walking in my neighborhood. On TV, I see that many of the pundits are using them also. Their distinctive look, like white earrings, is ubiquitous these days, since most of these people are not in a studio but at home and joining remotely.

In the six months or so since the world has been turned upside down by the coronavirus, I read and learn as much as I can about it, and how we and other countries are faring. We are not doing so well here in the US, but I am proud of how my county and state have adapted. We are still in Phase 2 of reopening, and our governor has paused any further openings until we have returned to R-0, or where we are no longer gaining new infections but are on the decline. We were there for a short while, but then restaurants and bars reopened (even in a limited capacity) and caused a spike. It's happening all over the country.

On Friday, I joined my friend Lily for a beer at a local restaurant that has plenty of outdoor seating. They have picnic tables set up outside, shaded with umbrellas, and a Plexiglass shield separating them into two seating areas. The menu is available through a smartphone: you point your camera at a sign and it magically appears on your phone. Many places no longer allow you to pay with cash; instead you need a credit card so that there are fewer interactions with money. Even the local ice cream shop doesn't allow you to pay with cash. When we return to our new normal, I wonder how many of these things will remain in the post-Covid world.

We are nothing if not adaptable. Most of us are able to have limited visits with friends, and my Zoom yoga classes have become an essential part of my self-care. I didn't think I would become accustomed to it as well as I have, and now I'm thinking that I just might continue doing remote yoga, once we are able to return to the studio. It certainly helped to have several years of in-person instruction before this all happened. Mostly I know what to do and how to correct myself, but the familiar voice of my instructor reminds me often. And she can see us through the Zoom interface and will sometimes correct us by name when she sees something not quite right.

Speaking of adaptation, I learned that one of those awful murder hornets that have invaded our state has been caught in a trap. Someone right here in Bellingham found one on her back porch, and the one trapped was also in our county.
Scientists have been trying to trap the invasive insects and prevent an infestation since they were first spotted in the state last year. More than two inches long, the hornets get their nickname from their propensity to attack and kill honeybees and potentially, people.
Since their appearance in our area, I have worried about seeing one and not knowing what to do. Our honeybees have no defense against them, but I learned that in Japan, where they have been around for awhile, their honeybees have learned to surround a murder hornet scout with hundreds of bees, and vibrate long enough and hard enough to generate heat and "cook" it. Talk about adaptation! Nature always finds a way.

Which makes me feel optimistic about our ability as humans to find a way to adapt to whatever comes. One thing I have learned over the years is that nothing is as difficult or daunting as it often first appears. There are silver linings to everything, and it might take us some time to find out what this coronavirus is bringing us, but I know for sure that we will prevail. I feel fortunate to be alive long enough to see what is ahead. At least, I hope I will live long enough; our days are not guaranteed, and I've certainly lived a good long time already.

But unless something happens that will keep me from being around to usher in the year 2021, I'll find out. And I am definitely happy to be able to surround myself with wonderful virtual friends, ones that make my days more delightful, and give me a sense of community that is invaluable. My dear partner still sleeps next to me, but he's beginning to stir around, so I'd probably better wind this up and start the rest of my August day. Until we meet again, dear friends, I wish you all good things, and don't forget to count all those blessings.

17 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Good morning. I have progressed from the couch to my chair, from a long night that did actually start with some somewhat decent hours of sleep in my bed. Such is how it goes with my recovery, where my back slowly heals and my digestive system goes from one extreme to the other. But I have hope that this too will pass. It has been a rough almost three weeks since my surgery. I mostly missed the lovely second half of July, but I am hoping to be able to appreciate the lazy dog days of summer. August is slow down time, and since I have no choice, I might as well embrace it.
I'm glad you have found ways to adapt to stay active and connected. You sound much more content now that you did a few months ago. I care about that.
Be well and happy, dear friend.

Marie Smith said...

If we don’t adapt, the future is grim. Adaptation keeps us going. I watched my mother adapt her life to her physical condition as she aged. Now I see her journey mirrored in my own. There are things I will never do again such as swimming or travel to exotic places around the world. My life has gotten smaller, lived in a smaller area with less activities. It has made the ones I do so much more important. Hiking and time in nature such as on a beach are major attractions.

We ordered new bikes, hoping to expand our physical activity together but have yet to receive them. Many other people have the same thought. We’ll do that until our world shrinks another bit. We are excited to try our bikes though, excited as you g children would be. Some things don’t change with age.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You sound more accepting...that is good. Be careful out there with your ear buds...we see joggers and bikers wearing them and they are oblivious to what is around them. With all crime increasing be extra careful!
Our numbers are going up ...people are so stupid. The latest was a Stampede/Rodeo where thousands were exposed in Grand Rapids MN...so I bet their numbers will really go up.
I cannot say I am getting used to the isolation...I cancelled the craft retreat that I usually go to in September...it pained me to do so...but it had to be done.

I like your quote...motionless and hot...sums it us but at least we have no hurricane warnings...our weather has been real nice the past few days...highs in the 70's perfect if there is lower humidity! We will warm up again before the week is over.

I am off to pick Chokecherries...Far Guy left to pick the bushes he was watching on one of our trails through the woods. I will don my red rubber boots and my funny sun hat and long sleeved shirt and get the bushes along the edge of the woods.
Take Care and stay safe:)

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting news about the honey bees cooking the murder hornets. I must say you walk a lot. Something I cannot do with my bum leg. Congratulations, DJan.

Rian said...

I think August is also my least favorite month - at least in Texas. It's HOT... and even though I don't mind heat or humidity too much, I do feel that one should not be in Texas in August. Last year we were in Hawaii in August... THAT was great! This year we will hunker down here inside the house and hope that the month will pass without incident.

And I don't look forward to all the cr...p (excuse my French as my mother would say) that the election times will bring. September through November will bring political tension that we really don't need right now. But hopefully, by December (or at least January - if we're still around) things will have calmed down some. Is that too much to ask?

Murder hornets? That's another thing we don't need. Please be careful, DJan... especially in your garden.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for yet another uplifting, thought provoking Sunday Post. How I wish that everyone adapted as well as you have.
We were doing quite well here in Australia until complacency set in. One State has now moved into a hard lockdown and I do hope it has a significant and speedy effect. I am grateful that the virus is being taken seriously here. Our country has just over 200 deaths in total which has been enough to scare those in power. As it should.
Your 'reduced' walks are more than I can manage. They are however a nudge to remind me to do what I can.
Stay well, stay safe dear DJan.

Friko said...

I too hope to be living to a ripe old age, for the first time for years. I read today that we can now count on living at least to 85, so that’s not bad, is it. we oldies need to continue to be sensible, let others not so vulnerable risk their lives if they wish.
Meeting like-minded friends at a safe distance is a pleasure and walking out in beautiful countryside should give us enough energy to last. Actually, your mileage is more than I an do, or want to do, so you are still on the energetic front.

Stay safe, enjoy your life to its fullest extent and see you next Sunday.

Arkansas Patti said...

At least your hot spell is brief, at least by our standards in the south. Interesting that your yoga instructor can critique your poses to make sure you are doing them right. Not what I thought would happen and much better.
Really interesting how the honey bees adjusted to take out the murder hornets. You go bees.
Keep adjusting and someday this will all just be memories.

The Furry Gnome said...

I think of August as the first month of early fall, though we'll still get some hot days for sure!

Gigi said...

August here is brutal! In Texas it was even more so...so I try not to complain...too much.

As a species we are, for most of us, adaptable.

I have a feeling the post-COVID world is going to look MUCH different from the pre-COVID world. And that may not be a bad thing.

Sending love and hugs across the internet. Have a wonderful week!

Red said...

Our experience with covid has already been long. We still don't know much about it and much of the world can not get their brains in gear to take it seriously. I think we're in a long fight with the covid. Too many people aren't pulling their weight.

Anvilcloud said...

Here's what I like about August -- the insect life will begin to abate before the end of the month. There are some woodsy areas that I would like to visit but won't until then. Otherwise, it is still hot but not quite as hot as July around here, especially and once again in the latter portion of the month. But yes, we can have some [pretty hot weather until we are about a week into September. Our first week back to school could be unpleasant in the classroom, but it soon changed.

William Kendall said...

It's the humidity I hate.

Today here is relatively cool, and rain off and on.

Margaret said...

Since I retired from teaching, August has become one of my favorite months. (unless we get wildfire smoke) It's great that you have continued to hike, even in smaller groups. So many of my groups like Book Club and teaching friends haven't been able to meet in person, and it certainly takes away from life.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, Once again you've said it perfectly, "Unremitting sun, for the most part, with few clouds and little rain. Just about the opposite of the rest of the year." For me, the unremitting sun becomes the issue when it's late in the afternoon and the sun in the west sky really heats up my apartment. The good side is it makes me appreciate the other months of the year when we have a few more clouds in the sky to moderate the heat. Another quote I love, "We are nothing if not adaptable." So true and it's interesting to read about adapting to these tough times. It sounds like you are doing well. Another great post here, thank you. Take care and stay safe! John

Tabor said...

You sound as if you are being super healthy. I need more motivation or to live near someone just like you! If you think you are in heat, I suggest you come down our way and learn what real heat is! Although today with intermittent clouds I think I smelled the tiniest bit of fall.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, in the many comments made by those who mourned the death of John Lewis--comments I heard on PBS Newshour and other newscasts as well as his funeral, which I watched for over three hours, and in the comments on the CBS program in his honor this past week, I heard again and again about his optimism. His hope that all really will be well. I trusted him all those years before his death. I trust him now in the legacy he's left us of hope and of taking action. Of making wonderful trouble! Necessary trouble. Peace.