I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, January 14, 2024

The coldest part is behind us

On Western Washington campus yesterday

I know it doesn't look all that cold in the picture, since the sun was shining and the wind was minimal. But while on a walk with Steve, I saw that lovely rose and went over to check it out, only to find that it was frozen solid! It felt like a brick instead of a rose. We got down to 5°F (-15°C) on Thursday night, and the wind blew very hard all night. We didn't lose power again, thankfully. (We lost it for four hours early on Tuesday morning, but the cold air had not yet reached us.)

By Friday, I was not willing to walk to the bus just to get some coffee in 5°F weather, and you know how unusual that is for me. Then John called me to see if I was going out, and I told him that I would go only if he would come by and pick me up. Which is just what he did, and we enjoyed coffee and a treat at the coffee shop, before he brought me back home, where I spent the entire day indoors, no desire to walk in that weather. The wind was less, but still there were occasional strong gusts.

However, yesterday (Saturday), we made it through the night without losing power, and the wind had pretty much stopped. But it was still very cold, not enough to stop me two days in a row, however. I dressed as warmly as I could and went out to my car, hoping it would start. My first problem is that I couldn't get the key to unlock the driver's side door. Finally I was able to get inside the car by entering through the passenger side door, crawling over to the other side (not all that easy with a manual transmission to navigate) and opening the driver's side door that way. Whew! I turned the key and the car started right up. I allowed it to sit for awhile and warm up a little before heading to the coffee shop. The roads were dry and the sun was just coming up when I arrived without incident. Steve was already there, so I pulled out my iPad and got the Wordle (in three!) and drank my own welcome coffee. 

I was in no hurry to venture out in such cold temperatures, but we agreed that we'd walk to Western University campus and back, which turned out to be around six miles. By the time we got to the waterfront, it had warmed all the way up to 11°F, and we saw three young people on a dock, getting ready to take a jump into the water! We stayed long enough to watch one young lady strip to her bra and leggings and ease herself into the water. She kept her winter cap on, and swam around for a bit. She was still in the water when we left.

Grace on ice

For those of you who don't know the story about Grace, she just showed up one day on that pile of metal shavings in Bellingham Bay many years ago. She then mysteriously disappeared from the rock, and the artist must have gone through the proper channels and then she appeared again. I've seen birds nesting on the rock and yesterday she was standing on icicles of salt water. I was able to capture this with the sun shining right on the statue. 

It's still cold, but this morning the temperature is in the low teens, not single digits, so we seem to be through the coldest and most difficult part of our cold snap. The rest of the country is not so lucky, though. In the Midwest today it will be horribly cold and windy. What do you do when you have no heat and you cannot go anywhere to escape it? I am so glad we are warm and safe here, but I worry about the others who are not so fortunate. If that might be you, or someone you love, please try to find a safe place and hang in there. It will get better, but it might be some time before that happens. It would be a good idea to stay out of the water, unless you are a young adventurer.

In this period of cold and ice, we need to take some advice from the birds: stick together and huddle somewhere out of the wind. Life is full of challenges, but we usually don't have to deal with such life-threatening situations. Until this passes, we must stick together and help one another get through it. 
It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.—Epictetus

And here I sit, in the dark January morning, with my dear partner sleeping next to me, the light of my laptop screen lighting the shadows, and enjoying feeling warm and cozy as I write. I don't have much to say this morning, it seems, as I cast about for some words of wisdom before starting my day. Every Sunday morning at this time I am usually wrapping up my post, but today I haven't been able to mine any great thoughts from my recalcitrant brain. Well, there's always next week, right? I don't have anything to prove, but I do want to give you, my dear reader, something to take away from this moment. Therefore, I will let Confucius say it:

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.—Confucius

So, dear friends, until we meet again next week, I hope you are able to stay warm and safe, and huddle together with your loved ones. I wish you all good things and lots of virtual (or actual) hugs and kisses. Be well.


14 comments:

Rian said...

It's 13 F here this morning. The ferals water bowl has frozen. DH just refilled it and fed the ones hanging about... using the straw we threw around to stay warm. At least 3 stayed under the heat lamps last night huddled together. Don't know where the others stay, but when they show up to eat, we're relieved.
I can't believe you walk in the cold weather. You are made of hardier stuff than me. I feel the cold even in the house and stay bundled. Praying for all those who don't have a warm place to be. Stay warm, my friend.

Marcia LaRue said...

At 8:15 this Sunday morning, it is currently -2° and hopefully warming up to 13° for the day! At least there is no snow ❄️ in the forecast just bitter cold 🥶!
Sweats, blankets, coats ... Whatever is handy to keep you warm! A good Irish coffee or other hot toddy to warm the insides, too!

Rita said...

It's 10am in Fargo and it's -14 with a -32 wind chill. I am definitely glad to be indoors safe and warm sipping on a cup of hot coffee with Allie cuddled between my knees--lol! :)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You are brave to venture out in cold like that.
I understand what challenge is. I understand there are people that benefit from cold water plunges. What I don't understand is why stay in the water! I'd leap out as soon as I was ankle deep.

Marty said...

I don't deserve to be posting, sitting here in Florida. Although, it's actually gray, rainy, and in the 50s, which for real Floridians (not me) is almost as dramatic as your weather.
Funny thing is, you can always spot the visitors because they're the ones who still march out in their shorts and Hawaiian shirts, refusing to admit they're cold because they're in Florida, dammit. Meanwhile, Floridians are wearing fleece.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Today and tomorrow are still below zeros for high temps then we get above zero anyway that is what the forecast is...sometimes they are not right. Stay warm!

Elephant's Child said...

Stay warm and safe dear friend. And of course you didn't let cold stop you walking two days in a row!!!

Glenda Beall said...

DJan, the only thing I did this morning was get up earlier than usual to meet the shopper who was bringing my groceries. But I am sick with viral bronchitis and on antibiotics and steroids. While it is cold in the Atlanta area and even colder at home in the western NC mountains, I am cozy here in my apartment and not going out. I am amazed how you can get out and walk in such horrible weather. But that is why you can live where you live, and I live down south. Stay warm and safe, my friend.

Linda Reeder said...

When I went out to the street to get the newspaper this (late) morning, bundled up, I thought it was glorious out there. So dry, not muddy, so crisp - yes, cold - and so blue. the birds were singing. I decided I needed to be outside, so in a few minutes we will bundle up and drive over to Seahurst Park, on the Sound, where the sun will be shining on the Olympics, and take a short stroll.
All is good for now.

Anvilcloud said...

Six miles in the cold is pretty impressive. Have a good week.

Red said...

When you have very severe weather , it's hard to talk about anything else. Everybody's talking about it. this cold snap is enough to get our attention and it's not over yet. So stay warm and dry and we'll leave the deep thoughts until next week.

gigi-hawaii said...

I had the exact same fuchsia colored jacket, which I purchased in snowy Vancouver B.C. in March 1994. I loved the color. However, it was too warm for Hawaii, so I donated it to Goodwill after I got back.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan,

Your post beautifully captures the essence of resilience and community during challenging times. Your discovery of the frozen rose to adventures in the bitter cold, serve as a vivid backdrop to the larger theme of weathering through a harsh cold snap. Your struggle with the frozen car door and determination to enjoy a simple pleasure like coffee, despite the biting cold, highlights the human spirit's capacity to adapt and find joy in small moments.

The anecdote about the young lady bravely swimming in frigid temperatures adds a touch of awe and serves as a metaphor for embracing life's challenges head-on. The story of Grace, the statue on Bellingham Bay, intertwines local history and the enduring nature of art, further enriching the narrative.

Your reflections on the current weather conditions, while acknowledging the hardships faced by others in different regions, shows empathy and a deep sense of community. Your quotes from Epictetus and Confucius are thoughtfully chosen, offering philosophical insights that align with the themes of resilience and wisdom through adversity.

I am, of course, sad that in your treatise on winter, you did not mention my latest post, “When Winter is King.” **Just kidding of course.** 😊 You did leave me a kind comment and I appreciate that!

I hope you and SG enjoy a warm and restful week ahead. Take care, my friend.

John

Marie Smith said...

Glad you came through the worst of the cold already, Jan. The western part of Canada is unbearably cold. Not so the east coast however. Have a great week.