I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, July 14, 2024

Being mortal

Peering into its purple depths

I love walking around the neighborhood and taking pictures of things like this beautiful poppy. It's also good to have the picture to enjoy since the flowers only last for a few days. Summertime is filled with so much beauty and I appreciate the ability I have with my camera phone to snap pictures and have them for as long as I might want to enjoy them. With my eyesight going wonky, I can still see these guys and will continue to act as though I will be able to continue on like this for a good long time to come.

But who knows, really, how long it might be? My right eye can still see everything except the central portion, and I think I might be able to learn to read a little with my peripheral vision. And I still have my left eye's central vision, but there is a section of missing vision just to the left of it, and I hope it doesn't slide over any further. I get my next eye jab in just over three weeks. I have not noticed any change in my perception since I received the first ones. Since they are only supposed to slow the progression, not fix the problem, I am grateful for any possible visual stabilization.

I didn't go on last Thursday's hike to Sauk Mountain with the Trailblazers, since I've been there many times before and realize that the steep switchbacks, slippery with soft dirt, are hard to get down without falling, even using trekking poles. So I reluctantly skipped it. Ten people went and had a great time, but I'm realizing that I am no longer able to be safe in all those circumstances, with my failing eyesight. 

This is my new reality. Hopefully I'll be able to continue on most hikes, but I'm no longer physically able to do what was easy a decade ago. I'm mortal, as we all are, and I must take into consideration that I might put not only myself, but my friends as well, into compromising situations if I don't pay attention and take care.

It's also hard to ignore the fact that our President is weighing whether or not he should run for a second term, being that he is already oldest person to have been in the office. I saw that awful debate, but he's shown that with enough ability to rest and recuperate, he can continue to hold up. I am worried; Joe and I are in the same boat, a week apart in age. I cannot fathom how he might fare for the next four years, but his adversary is only a few years younger and in the same situation, really. How did this ever come about? With all the young talent in both political parties, I am flummoxed and hope that something good might come out of this fraught situation.

The only person I can actually take care of is myself, along with my dear partner, who is also mortal and prone to physical infirmities. Not one of us is guaranteed even one more day of life, and we need to learn to roll with the punches, so to speak. And last night there was an assassination attempt on Trump at a rally. The bullet just grazed his ear (or maybe it was glass from a shattered teleprompter) but he was defiant and pumped his fist as they carried him away. This should invigorate his campaign and give him lots of sympathy. 

The shooter and a rally attendee are both dead. I saw a picture of a bullet whizzing by Trump's head, taken by a journalist who was just feet away from Trump. It brought back years ago when I saw the killings of so many of our leaders, from JFK, to his brother Bobby, to Martin Luther King. I was around during them all, and I was just as shocked and grieved by those assassinations as was the entire world. Sixty years have brought only more guns, more divisions, and more fear and hatred into my once beautiful country. It is the same everywhere across the world.

Mt Baker from Skyline Divide

Whenever I get really down about it all, I remember that there is still respite in the beauty of nature. It has its seasons, just like the rest of life, but during the summer months I am able to hike into such places and remember that I am just a small part of the enormity that makes up our world. Although I will probably not join the Thursday hikers next week, since they are going on one of the harder hikes in the wilderness, I will find some way to enjoy our incredible mountains, even if it's not the ones that were once so easy for me. Nope, this mortal being will find a way to stay within the boundaries that surface for the octogenarian that I have become.
I don't want to sound like a Hallmark card, but to be able to wake up each day with food and shelter, that alone is good. Forget aging and the fact that my butt is becoming a little more familiar with my knees than my tailbone. If you are six feet above ground it's a good day. So, give me more! —Faith Hill

It's a good quote, even if Faith is only in her fifties. She has the right attitude, and that is worth a great deal. It would be nice to see how she might fare as an octogenarian, but I won't be around to find out. Some time in the next decade or so I will be happy to lie down on my comfortable bed, surrounded by loved ones, and breathe my last. It's what happens to all of us eventually, and it shouldn't be resisted, in my mind at least. Just go with the flow, right?

Cultivating an "attitude of gratitude" is what I am focusing on right now, today, tomorrow, and in the coming days, weeks, and years. This past week I received an acupuncture treatment and a wonderful massage. I am doing incredibly well but realize that it's all temporary, and finding myself grateful for that realization, too. It makes every moment a precious one, worth paying attention to and giving thanks from the bottom of my heart.

My dear sweet partner still sleeps next to me and John will arrive shortly to take me out for our Sunday breakfast. I'll come home and go out for a lovely walk in the cool of the morning and then retreat into the comfort of my home and spend some time holding the hand of my beloved. Until we meet again, dear friends, I wish you all good things. Be well.


12 comments:

Rian said...

DJan, you mention your 'new reality'... accepting it and working on ways to handle it... all the while hoping that by some miracle things will get better. And of course, there's always that possibility. Thoughts and prayers are powerful. Miracles do happen.

And I think so many of us are just 'at a loss' as to what to do or say concerning the political climate ... especially after the recent shooting. And yet, it's where things were going, so... while both sad and stupid, not surprising. Hate breeds violence... and unless we can eliminate the hate, heaven help us (and the world).

But as you said, none of us are guaranteed even one more day, so we do the little things that hold us together... love our family and friends, enjoy nature while we can, and hope and pray that good will always triumph over evil (and if that sounds sappy or hokey, I'm sorry).

Marie Smith said...

My husband is up much earlier than I so when we see each other in the morning and I ask how he is, he says, “I woke up. The rest is gravy.” Enjoy each day. We turn off the news and enjoy everything while we can. Life’s too short to do otherwise.

Anvilcloud said...

I have a feeling that there will be more hikes in your future, perhaps even one this week.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Three deaths recently in our area, they hit hard to friends and neighbors of ours. Young, old, a lung transplant patient...life is hard for many people today. So I just told my daughter Jen...if no one else dies today it will be a good day.

Linda Reeder said...

As I approach my 80th birthday this week, I am very aware that I am mortal. I did get up early this morning and finally got out for a mile walk before it got too hot. I just can't take heat any more and this summer sun, while nice, is a little too unrelenting. I need some cool days to be able to work in the garden, I did work for an hour this morning after my walk and a light breakfast.Then the mosquitoes and the sun drove me inside.
I keep challenging myself to keep moving, just as you are challenging yourself not only to keep on hiking, but also getting every bit of eyesight you can. We will persist.

John's Island said...

Hello DJan, I appreciate your take on things this morning after yesterday’s gun violence. Cultivating an attitude of gratitude for what is good in this world is an answer. Thanks, as always, for Eye on the Edge. John

Elephant's Child said...

I am endlessly grateful for the beauty in this world. And your Sunday posts are just that. Thank you dear friend.

Rita said...

A lovely post.
I am grateful for you. :)

Red said...

The political situation was already bad and now this action thrown really makes things worse. It's unpredictable.

gigi-hawaii said...

When life seems bleak, remember to pause and Count Your Blessings!!!

Linda Myers said...

I am just beginning to age with grace. Before, that was just a hope.

William Kendall said...

Very well said.