I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Midsummer musings

Sunflowers against a blue sky

 I know that most people don't look forward to the end of summer and the beginning of fall, but I sure do. I love the feeling of abundance and good harvests that abound in the Pacific Northwest during late summer. And I have already begun to be reminded that fall is when my allergies begin to kick in. Trees in some parts of town have begun their first gentle color changes. Not many, but it is only the middle of August, after all.

Twelve people went on the long Senior Trailblazer hike last week. It turns out it was cloudy and cool for the entire time, while it was sunny here all day. I was still glad I didn't go, because a more-than nine mile hike is, I think, pushing my limits these days. I can't deny that there was more than a little regret about not being out there. Instead, I went on a nice six-mile flat walk. I have been pondering my future, and whether or not I have decided to stick to the Tuesday easy hikes and only go on the Thursday hikes only when I'm sure I can do it and not end up holding anybody back. It's a real change in the way I consider my abilities, along with losing my eyesight and looking ahead to even more restrictions and change in the future. But that's true for everybody, isn't it? I've just never been here before and am still trying to regain my equilibrium.

If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work. —Thich Nhat Hanh

That is just what I need to practice: smiling and being peaceful and happy. And that gentle Buddhist monk reminds me that this basic kind of peace work is where I need to focus my attention, not in some esoteric practice that is beyond my present ability. Yesterday, I smiled at strangers and sent plenty of good vibes out into the world. I like the way it feels, thinking that I am actually making a difference in my immediate environment, which radiates out into the larger landscape.

I haven't looked at the numbers on my Watch yet, to see how much sleep I got last night. We had a strong thunderstorm descend on our town in the middle of the night. I woke to seeing flashes of light through my eyelids, but at first the storm was far enough away that I didn't hear any thunder. That changed, however, as it grew closer. Just about the time I'd drift back to sleep, a loud clap of thunder would jolt me awake again. We don't get many thunderstorms at midnight around here, but we sure did last night. Sometime after 2:00am, I did get back to sleep, but here it is 5:00am and I am sitting here in the dark beginning my post. The only thing on my mind right now is managing my mental processes and trying to find something interesting to write about.

Bellingham Bay

Yesterday I walked along the Boulevard South Bay trail from Bellingham to Fairhaven, one of my favorites. The sea was calm with a few boats visible from the walkway. I've been here in all kinds of weather, but at the time I visited yesterday, it was calm and cool. The day did get on the very warm and humid side before I went to bed, and this morning it's still quite warm here in the apartment. Usually it cools down overnight, but I suspect that the thunderstorm didn't help much; it was around ten degrees warmer inside than usual when I woke this morning. Unsettled weather indeed, but I am not really complaining when I look at temperatures around the country. We are fortunate to be so close to open seas, with the normal nighttime temperatures being very conducive to good sleep. Very few homes in my neighborhood have, or need, air conditioning, other than fans.

Today is supposed to be cooler than yesterday, but not by much. It's the unusual humidity that I think makes it seem so much warmer. It reminds me of that Yogi Berra gem, "It ain't the heat, it's the humility." He had a very curious way of thinking, and his Yogi-ism are definitely worth reading again, just for fun. 

A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know. – Yogi Berra

These days, I am always looking for something to smile about, rather than sitting around feeling glum about the state of the world. I wish I could sit down with a good book and read like I once did, but now it's listening to audible books, which I find tend to keep me separated from my surroundings. I don't listen to them when I'm outdoors walking for that reason, but I suppose I will eventually get used to it and will get better at finding times and places to "read." Getting older means change for all of us, and I am grateful for every day I have to learn how to go with the flow. 

Sitting here in the dark, I hear rain falling on the roof, which helps to explain a little why it's still feeling so humid this morning. My sweet partner still sleeps next to me, and I can hear his gentle breathing, a soothing sound. My tea is gone, and John will be coming to pick me up in his truck and take me out to breakfast, being Sunday and all. I am hoping that you, my dear friends, will have a wonderful week ahead and look forward to greeting you again next week. Until then, I wish you all good things.

 

11 comments:

John's Island said...

Today I’ll comment on a couple of specific things you said. “I know that most people don't look forward to the end of summer and the beginning of fall, but I sure do.” That makes two of us. Fall is my favorite season and, the last few years, it has provided the best hope of getting away from summer heat. And, “I like the way it feels, thinking that I am actually making a difference in my immediate environment, which radiates out into the larger landscape.” You certainly make a difference in the blogosphere … I’ve enjoyed your commentary for over a decade. I look forward to your ability to put life things in perspective. As always, thank you for sharing! John

Rita said...

Fall is my favorite season, too! Yes, sending out positives in your immediate environment does radiate outward. Thanks for being you!

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy the early half of autumn too. It has been particularly hot and humid here this year though it is cooler the last few days. I am enjoying the lack of humidity.

Life is all about adapting. We adapt to each stage, as children into our teens and young adulthood. Work life brings changes, having families if we go that route, into middle age, then as seniors. We adapt as we go.

Adapting is a big part of our humanity and such a privilege. A long life of adapting isn’t afforded to many and those of us at this final stage have been truly blessed. We miss out on so much if we fail to enjoy that privilege.

You inspire me in that enjoyment, Jan. Have a great week.

Rian said...

Well, DJan, as much as I look forward to the first cool spell of Fall (after August's triple digits), it isn't my favorite season. Spring will always be my favorite when everything turns green and there's an abundance of new growth and baby critters everywhere! But... saying that, it would be great if we had an early Fall and that the hurricane season does not develop as predicted.
And I'm glad you're doing audio books. I tried an audio book once, but it put me to sleep. Somehow I do better with reading (so far). But I will admit that with reading as much as I do, my eyes do get tired.
As for adapting to changes, accepting them, and still finding joy in life (as well as trying to bring joy to others)... I believe this makes a big difference anytime, but especially towards the end of one's life.

Elephant's Child said...


Add me to those who love Autumn. Cooler temperatures make sleep much easier and better - and I love the arboreal fireworks too.
Yay for sending out positives - soooo much better than the alternative. Hugs dear friend.

Gigi said...

I can't say that I can pick a favorite season (I love them all for various reasons) but I am ready to be done with the humidity (and yes, I can confirm - it makes the heat feel even hotter!).

“I like the way it feels, thinking that I am actually making a difference in my immediate environment, which radiates out into the larger landscape" - you are making a difference out in the world and here in blog land!

Have a wonderful week, my friend.

Anonymous said...

By now it's after 5:00 pm and I am just getting aroung to checking blogs. It has been a full day, and that's good. We went garden touring much of the day, visiting open gardens with the Northwest Perennial Alliance. We have been members for a long tine but have not participated much lately. All five gardens, member gardens in private homes, were nearby in Burien and West Seattle. Back at home I had the Sunday paper to get through, emails to catch up on, and now blogs.
I got a little down lately, so I too am going to work on smiling, and bringing smiles to others too. The laugh I got from the busy Starbucks worker today felt good for both of us.

Red said...

I look at age a little differently than you. I decide to quit things before I end up with a struggle , disappointment or problem. I decided exactly when I would retire. I enjoyed my last year knowing that things I was doing were the end. I quit cycling on my 80th birthday. I stopped skating and cross country skiing in my late 70's. I resigned from boards at 80. I still have lots to do.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The sunflowers sure are cheerful! I hope you have a wonderful week and keep smiling!!

gigi-hawaii said...

That's what I strive for: To be peaceful and happy. Keep smiling, DJan.

Anvilcloud said...

You are doing so well to only do a 6 mile flat hike.