I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, October 27, 2024

Marcellus my new octofriend

Marcellus, white eye showing above his suckers

Yesterday, I went for a nice walk around the waterfront with my friend Steve. Although I am perfectly capable, for now, of going on these walks alone, I am really grateful to Steve for his companionship and conversation. We went more than five miles and, when we got to the Marine Life Center, we went in to visit the new octopus who is now a resident. He was picked up when some fishermen caught him in a net, and although injured, he has recovered quite well and is now eating and playing (as all octopuses seem to do) in a covered sanctuary. He can be viewed easily, as you can see from this picture, but signs everywhere remind visitors to talk softly and not to point at him. They are very sensitive creatures.

I first visited when Sherlock, another Giant Pacific octopus, had been captured and was available for viewing. When Sherlock was first captured, he was ten pounds and stayed for several months before being released back into the sea. He gained thirteen pounds during that time and made many human friends, who cared for him and probably still miss his presence. They can grow much larger, up to around 150 pounds during their relatively short life span.

Marcellus is much smaller, although another giant Pacific octopus, and he was given plenty of TLC when he first arrived and has gained a fair amount of weight in the short time he has been at the Center. He will also be released at some point in the future to return to his natural environment. It is fascinating to me to watch him, to wonder what is going on in his mind that allows him to settle into captivity and seemingly thrive. I was first enthralled by octopuses when, by chance, I watched a wonderful Netflix documentary about them. You can see it at My Octopus Teacher if you have a Netflix account. I've watched it several times and certainly will again.

Last Thursday, I almost decided to hike with my regular group, instead of working in the lunchroom at the Senior Center. But I finally did my usual volunteer session and ended up working harder than I have before. It was partly because they were serving Salisbury Steak, which apparently is a real favorite of the clientele. I ended up taking home a vegetarian patty, with mashed potatoes and green peas. There were so many people in line that some people had to eat and leaVe more quickly than usual to allow us to accommodate everyone. For the first time, there were still people coming through the door when we usually are finished for the day. Although I got very tired and ended up walking more than 10,000 steps during my shift, I found that when I tried to remember three or four requests in a row that I simply couldn't do it. 

I also learned that it makes a huge difference when people are appreciative of your efforts and don't just treat you like part of the furniture. An imperious snap of the fingers, pointing at an empty cup, didn't make me more likely to hurry to fill it. In fact, I found that when someone treated me like that, it made me angry and resentful. That was the first time in the lunchroom that I realized what a difference it makes when people are having a good time and pass along their appreciation to those around them.

I am also already seeing some regulars who must come for lunch every day, sit in the same places each time, surrounding themselves with the same companions and enjoying both the food and the camaraderie. I overheard someone telling another to be less judgmental of those of us serving them because we are volunteers, not paid staff.

The lunchroom before the onslaught

There are eleven round tables to set up, each with six chairs, which are stacked on the walls before we take them apart and put them around the tables. You can see the lazy susan in the center, holding ice water, glasses, salt and pepper, sugar packets, and a plastic flower bouquet. Everything except the flowers are wiped down carefully before and after we use them. Everyone works together, without anyone being in charge, helping one another.
'Thank you' is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding. —Alice Walker

I really enjoy being part of a team, and I have made more friends who will be there with me as we work to help others. Through example, many people help others just by being appreciative, and others by showing the best way to accomplish a task. Everyone is working together and it lifts everybody up. As you can see, there is a good reason why I am enjoying my new role at the Senior Center.

It also helps me to remain positive, to look past the news of the world towards a better future, towards a brighter day ahead. All of us here on this tiny planet can do something to make today better for someone, and it also helps us as well, to bask in the hope ahead for a kinder, more gentle world. We can only accomplish a little bit of that, each day, but it adds up. And there are plenty of helpers along the way, if we look for them and fill our hearts with love and gratitude.

That's it for today, dear friends. When we meet again next week, I hope that your days are filled with happiness and healthy thoughts. I must say that just writing this post has helped me. I think of Marcellus, my new friend, and Michelle, another new friend who has helped me learn the lunchroom ropes. And many others who surround me with good vibes. Until we meet again, I wish you all good things. Be well.


6 comments:

ApacheDug said...

What an enjoyable read--loved the pics of the octopus and your senior center DJan. I DID see that Netflix doc "My Octopus Teacher" and it almost made me turn vegan. We are eating some pretty thoughtful creatures. As for your center, I had to suppress a chuckle because if someone snapped their fingers and pointed at an empty cup at my center, said person would get their butt kicked! We have some pretty tough ladies, God bless 'em. Anyway, I envy and admire your pep and wish we could bottle it. Hope your week ahead is a bright & happy one.

Anvilcloud said...

The octopi are fascinating to me, and I like hearing of your volunteer experiences. Good points about treating others well.

Rian said...

I saw that octopus doc also. It was great and only goes to prove how critters are much more sentient than most people realize.
And I'm still considering volunteering at our Senior Center cafe... but haven't taken the plunge yet. And I can't imagine someone snapping their fingers and pointing to their cup... that's a serious faux pas.

Rita said...

Loved meeting Marcellus! I have yet to watch that documentary. It has been in my queue for a long time so I will have to look for it.
I was a waitress in my youth, so I know exactly what you mean with the snapping of the fingers. As a young girl...well, we put up with a lot worse than that. It was a different time.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are a helper and anyone that snaps their fingers out to be shown to the door! It sounds like you have found a good spot to volunteer:)

Elephant's Child said...

Octopus are incredibly clever - and fascinating. I am glad that your new friend will return to the sea in the fullness of time.
As you know my volunteering is hugely important to me. And yes, appreciation of the role is heart warming. I am so glad that you are enjoying it.