I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Waves of health and illness

Florida sky and palm trees
I took this picture after a rain of several hours here in Florida. Usually the sky doesn't look quite so dramatic, and I was struck by its beauty. I hoped to capture it during sunset, but by then the sky had changed completely. Usually Florida clouds resemble puffy cotton balls.

I'm sitting here in the early morning light, propped up with pillows in Peter's bed. He's been sleeping in the shed while I'm here, which he's fixed up with a bed and sound system. I could hear it when I woke last night, thinking I was hearing a faraway thunderstorm, but then it developed a beat, and I knew he must be awake in the middle of the night. I, however, woke with a severe case of nausea. The entire family here is going through what must be a norovirus attack, with my little grand-niece Lexie getting sick first, then my sister Norma Jean and Peter during the nighttime on Thursday, waking to illness on Friday. I was a little queasy and thought that whatever had felled them had missed me. Nope. Last night I spent many hours trekking to the bathroom and finally fell into a restless sleep.
From Barfblog

Since it's Sunday and I'm sick in sunny Florida, I only have one task that must be done today, and that is to write this post. Earlier in the week, I pondered writing about my days as a skydiver, and remembering the really interesting and unusual skydives I've made, but now that the time has come, that is NOT what is flowing out of my fingertips. The only thing on my mind is how my body is feeling, and wondering how long I'll be feeling so sick. Actually, now that I consider it, I'm already not as bad as I was last night. Google informs me that the duration is usually one to three days, and that there is little to do except wait it out. Food sounds horrible to me right now, and I've just learned from this link that eating anything is likely to make me feel worse. This is the same bug that caused many a cruise ship excursion to end early. Fortunately for me, I am surrounded by family (most of whom have already recovered from their own bout of this), and I don't have to be anywhere or even get out of bed if I don't want to.

Fine. Once I finish with this post I think I'll go right back to sleep for awhile. Maybe I'll feel well enough to read, but right now I just don't want to think about it. I am, however, thinking about my readers, who were expecting an uplifting post this morning and will just have to do without. It would make me feel better to know that everyone read the link from WebMD to find out how to keep yourself from getting infected with this awful bug. However, in my research I learned that it is highly resistant to over-the-counter disinfectants, so it was probably inevitable that I would get it, no matter how carefully I washed my hands and washed down surfaces with Lysol.

Well, I am obviously feeling somewhat better, as I feel the Florida sunshine coming through the window and bathing me in its healing rays, and I am resisting the urge to just pretend I'm not sick and get started with my day. But every time I get up and walk around, I realize the futility of that approach and decide I'll just wait for my usual healthy self to reemerge. Until then, I hope you'll be well and happy, and that I make an uneventful trip home so we can meet again next week at the usual time.

19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Feel better soon! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope you feel better soon. It is a nasty virus. We had it once when Savannah was little...first she then Far Guy and finally me. It was miserable.

I think this is one of the clues:
If you have norovirus, don't prepare food for at least two to three days after you feel better. Try not to eat food that has been prepared by someone else who is sick.

Linda Reeder said...

So sorry, DJan. Maybe this means you should do what most Florida vacationers do and just lounge around on the beach or by the pool, instead of doing laps. :-)
We are smiling here in Seattle because last night the Sounders won the MLS Cup!

Barb said...

Oh no! Rest and fluids until you feel better, which I hope is soon!

Anonymous said...

It's no fun being sick, obviously, but as long as it is not permanent, you can find some solace knowing that.

Rian said...

Hope you're on the mend by the time you read this. It's awful to be sick... and more son when on vacation. But sending good thoughts and well vibes your way!

Rian said...

that's "more so"... not more son???

Elephant's Child said...

Feel better soon.
It is always a pleasure to see a new post from you - even when you are not well. Your positive attitude is a joy. And a gift.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Just soak in the good, healing vibes and ignore everything else!!!

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh no!!! I was hoping all would be better now and that you would be spared. You were so excited about visiting your sister and now you are slammed with the miseries. I do hope you are able to salvage a few good days out of the visit when all are feeling fine at the same time. Take care and let the sunshine work its magic.

Red said...

Get well soon. It's bummer to have stomach flu.

Gigi said...

Being away from home when you sick is extra awful. Feel better soon!

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, I’m sorry to hear you’ve come down with the virus during your visit. Anytime would be bad but wouldn’t you know it would follow Murphy’s Law and strike while you are in Florida. If there is anything positive about it, I would say being there in the sunshine is the best place to be. In hopes that it will make you feel better :-) I did go to the link and read all about Norovirus and paid special attention to the part “How to Prevent Norovirus Infection.” Thank you for that! As always, I’ve learned something from reading your post and thank you for sharing. Also, thank you for your comments on my blog and I’m glad you like that quote today! :-) Take care, get better soon, enjoy as much of that sunshine as you can, and have a safe trip home.

The Furry Gnome said...

So sorry to hear you're sick on your holiday down there!

Jackie said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to read that the illness has swept through your family.
I am hoping that this virus is HISTORY by the time you are reading this.
From friends that I have been talking to who have had this nasty virus, many of them were in an airport terminal when they thought they were exposed.
Again, I am is very sorry that you all are sick.
Gentle hugs.....

Rita said...

I was afraid of that happening. Well, you'll be feeling better in a day or two. Relax and sleep and rest. :)

Sally Wessely said...

Oh no! I hope you are much better today. Take care.

Linda Myers said...

Nah, stay in bed and rest.

Glenda Beall said...

So sorry you are sick while visiting your sister. I hope you are much better by now. Just stay in bed and sleep as much as possible. I believe that sleep is very healing, letting our body rest while fighting the bug.

Thanks for keeping your schedule. We would really miss your blog post.
Get well, now.