I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, July 1, 2018

The wolf I feed

Yesterday's rally at City Hall
It was happening all over the country: rallies against the tragedy at the Mexican border and a call to reunite the children who have already been separated from their parents. I am not much of an activist, but I felt it was important to add my body to those gathered together in protest. I know that many of my readers might object to any overt political posts, so I keep my thoughts to myself and away from my blog. Mostly. Sometimes it leaks out a little, like today.

It was raining here in Bellingham yesterday. Pretty much the whole day a light rain fell, but we are used to it, and in the picture, I see only one or two umbrellas. I had my raincoat and rain hat and was just fine. You might notice in the picture that most of the attendees seemed to be little old ladies, just like me. White hairs prevailed, and I saw many of my friends from other activities were there as well. However, young children and their parents were also there in large numbers.

The speakers mostly talked about the injustices we face, but I was particularly moved by a Native American woman who spoke of the early days of this country when her people were systematically separated from each other, and either killed or relocated. It reminded me that our country has been doing this ever since the first settlers usurped Indian lands. This is not new behavior. But that doesn't mean it needs to continue.

As I wandered through the crowd, I was sometimes overcome with emotion, for many reasons, but mostly because there are so many people like myself who really do care about the fate of people we will never know in person. There was no sense of anger or rage, like I often see portrayed in the media, just sadness and solidarity, and a desire to make a difference.

The other day I listened to a podcast that spoke about the parable of the two wolves that live inside all of us. It goes like this, from Virtues for Life:
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. 
“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.” 
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?” 
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
 As I wandered through the crowd and looked at the signs, smiled at the children, and felt the mutual support and harmony among the crowd, I realized that it would do nobody any good, especially myself, to allow anger to overtake me about what is happening. The feeling of despair and misery I sometimes feel when I watch the news is also not good for me. Depression is just anger turned inwards, so I am actively looking for other ways to heal myself and my world.

My thoughts are a choice I make, just like deciding which wolf I will feed, and I choose to have positive thoughts dominate my mind. I found this interesting post on line: Think Positive: 11 Ways to Boost Positive Thinking. I will read it carefully and take some tips from it; I hope you might think about doing the same, if you think you might need it. It's not just our thoughts that matter, but what we say to others is important as well, and what we say about others.

I've also often used this short little mental note of three things to remind myself before speaking about others is helpful: First, is it true? Second, is it kind? Third, is it necessary? This applies to so many areas of my life, and it's certainly something that makes me feel better if I think of it before speaking.

***

This week I went to the movies with my friend Judy to see "Won't You Be My Neighbor?", a documentary about Fred Rogers, who had the long-running TV show for kids for three decades. I only occasionally saw the show, but I watched him enough early on to get the feeling he portrayed of innocence and sweetness. The documentary also has many interviews he gave over the years, and you really sense that here was a gentle soul who wanted nothing more than the best for kids. I didn't know he was an ordained Presbyterian minister, but it makes sense. He just ministered through television rather than in a church. He had two children of his own, and they are extensively interviewed in the documentary.

It was fun to see him interact with Koko, the gorilla who just recently died at the age of 46 and knew sign language so well. I learned that one of my coffee shop friends went to school with Penny, the woman who worked with Koko ever since she was a baby. Penny must be devastated, having lost her dear companion. The gorilla did live a good long life, and she knew she was near the end. I read that one of the last "conversations" she had with Penny, she signed "old" and "patient" with sad eyes. She knew; I think other animals often know better than we do when our time is up. In any event, I highly recommend the documentary and hope you might find the time to see it. Surely it will make its way to Netflix once it's out of the theaters.

Today I will make a special effort to look for the beauty around me, not only in the external world, but my own internal thoughts as well. As Mr. Rogers says, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood." The neighborhood of my mind is looking pretty good right now, since I am almost finished with my Sunday morning post, and I feel the happiness of heading to the coffee shop to hang out with my friends. Sundays are my days that I have regulated the least, and so the day stretches forward with my anticipation of joy. A little time in my garden, finishing my latest book, and another movie with Judy. Sounds good to me!

I hope that the coming week, with our Independence Day holiday right in the middle, will be filled with everything that makes you happy. Don't forget to give thanks for everything that is going right in the world, because I'll be doing that as well and it always helps to have a friend or two along the way. Be well until we meet again next week.

18 comments:

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I have heard that saying too and after a rather weird night of feeling a bit anious I resolved to be more poitive. Goota feed the good. Our world news seem to hit us with too much negative thanks to devices we opted to have. Have a fantastic week. We have our National holiday today. Time for lots of smiles.

Linda Reeder said...

And just when I was working up a good head of "I've had enough" anger, you hit me with peace and love and kindness. Well, I'll work on it.
As I read the list of traits of each wolf, I see that my wolves co-habitate in me - mostly the good wolf, but with a bit of the bad too. I will no doubt always have a bit if that edginess, but I am careful with it around others. I managed to spend a full day with my sister who seems to believe the opposite of everything I do these days, without a harsh or cutting word. I try.
Thanks for another Sunday morning food for thought post.

Marie Smith said...

I taken to a news boycott when it comes to you know who. We probablyy see as much about him in Canada as you do in the US. I always switch off that part of the news now. I still hear about his latest antics though. He is that powerful. Not actively seeking out that news, helps me focus on the positive.

Have a great week Jan.

Bonnie said...

That Indian Parable has always been my favorite. It is so true. I am at a loss with our government these days. It is so sad. But I always appreciate your positivity and I always enjoy your posts! Have a good week!

Gigi said...

I loved this post! That parable is spot on and your sharing it was the reminder I needed.

Have a great week!

Trish MacGregor said...

We went to a march yesterday in West Palm Beach that led to trump's mar de lago. It was uplifting to see so many people expressing themselves peacefully. Trump, of course, wasn't home.

Arkansas Patti said...

I love the parable and realize I have two wolves and lately the bad wolf has been kicking up the most sand. Realizing he(the bad one) will solve no problems but will probably attack my health, I am going to concentrate on feeding the good one the most. The bad one will still get some snacks but not enough to make him grow. Loved this post.

Rian said...

I've heard that parable before too. What worries me, DJan... is that somehow someone/something is deliberately feeding the wrong wolf in order to stir things up... and divide us. Sad thing is that it seems to be working. But I agree that if 'each of us' continues to feed the right wolf, perhaps there's a good chance that compassion, truth, and peace will prevail.
And Sundays are my favorite day also. I usually spend the day cooking, reading, or writing... and maybe a nap with the cats on occasion.

Elephant's Child said...

When I came across that parable a few years ago it resonated strongly with me. I do try and be careful which wolf I feed, and also watch its diet.
Hugs.

Red said...

Fred Rogers was one of my favorites and I watched it with my kids from time to time. I like the three questions to ask yourself before something is said. Yes, attend rallies. Rallies don't have to be angry mobs but people showing their presence in support of an idea.

Far Side of Fifty said...

True, kind and necessary...sometimes I am a bit quiet..."If you don't have nothing nice to say then don't say nothin at all"...I think that Thumper said that:) I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July this week:)

Rita said...

I hadn't heard that parable for years! Thanks so much. Just the mantra I need to remind myself not to feed the wolf that gets stirred up by current goings on. :) So glad you made it to the protest rally.

I am looking forward to seeing the documentary on Mr. Rogers. Ian loves Mr. Rogers so I have been watching him once again (Dagan loved him, too, when he was little). Just watched a couple episodes today with Ian, as a matter of fact.

Three questions is good, too. I hope you had a great day and saw another good movie. :)

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you for this peace-filled posting. And thank you, too, for the reminder to think about all this is right with the world--and with my world here in me home with the cats. Concentrating on the good brings forth more goodness I believe, not just from ourselves but from others. Your postings get to the heart of what being human means. Thank you for that. Peace.

Sally Wessely said...

Protests are so important at this point in time, but I wonder if we need to remember that they be done in peace and love. Mr. Rodgers was radical in someways when he began showing our children the way to live as a asset in the neighborhood rather than living as one which others would not like in the neighborhood. We can learn much from him. As Dee said, concentrating on good brings goodness.

Tabor said...

The world has become more dangerous and more careless abouot the lives of the disenfranchised. We must remain angry and involved, but keep civilized and in control. Those who opt out to not get involved are giving evil a pass. This will get much worse as they are predicting over one million refugees due to climate change in the future. Sadly, this is something we cannot ignore. This administration has realized that keeping the hate alive gives them power.

Galen Pearl said...

I love that wolf story and have told it many many times. It is a great way to check in with ourselves, to see what we are giving energy and attention to. I especially appreciate how you reconciled protest with an open heart. (I do want to see that Mr. Rogers documentary. What a remarkable man he was.)

Linda Myers said...

I fed the bad guy for the last couple of weeks, and my body responded with an asthma attack. No more of that!

I try to be kind and patient and loving. Where I get off track is when I read too much anger online.

Anonymous said...

Nice drawing and it has lot of meaning.
Kids are so smart to celebrate their birthday inside the cave. Gods grace that all are rescued safe.
Have a nice day!