I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, September 9, 2018

How quickly life can change

Me, Sue, and Al taken last Thursday
My friend Cathy took this picture of us on our hike into the High Country last week, and I like it for several reasons. First, it shows us in one of our favorite places, on one of our favorite hikes. Second, you can see how dry it's been up there, with orange colors predominating. That will all change this coming week, however, with rain in the forecast every day: it's the beginning of the fall changeover. We'll still have plenty of sunny days, if past seasons are any indication, but still.

It's a bittersweet picture for me, since I am finally taking seriously the need to stop hiking uphill in high temperatures. Although I will still be able to visit this incredible place in future seasons, I'll be going with the slower group. Once again, I struggled with the uphill part of this hike, climbing more than a thousand feet from Bagley Lakes to Herman Saddle, and with my new fitness tracker device, I saw that when I was feeling the absolute worst, my heart rate had skyrocketed well above where it should be. It gave me the excuse to slow down and rest more often on the way up. Out of the twelve of us, I was the only one having such difficulty. Another indication that I must start hiking with the "relaxed" Trailblazers, rather than the "half-fast" group.

It's not the end of the world, after all, to admit that I cannot keep up with the faster hikers any longer. And it was exactly ten years ago that I began my hiking career with the Trailblazers, on this very hike, when I discovered the joys of our beautiful wilderness area. You can read the Washington Trails Association description of this loop hike, Chain Lakes, here. I've been fortunate to have enjoyed the company of my fellow hikers for so long that I haven't wanted to lose their companionship, but the couple of hikes I've done with the other group makes me realize that there are a whole bunch of people I will enjoy getting to know better. Like I said, I can still for the moment continue to hike, just at a slower pace.

Yesterday on my usual Saturday morning walk with the ladies, as we gathered to begin our trek up the very steep Taylor street, I was glad it was cool and that I knew I'd be done with the hard part quickly. We always form a circle and Cindy, our leader, tells us what the route will be, and then we go around and state our names. There were fifteen of us yesterday, and Linda, a long-time friend, shared with us a terrible accident that Peggy's husband Lyle endured on Labor Day.

He was out at the end of their driveway gathering their bins after trash collection. The truck had just passed by, but apparently the driver had missed one of the cans and backed up to get it. Although the backup beep sounded, Lyle seemingly didn't hear it, and the truck ran right over him. He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital, and then transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle in critical condition. Although it's been almost a week, he's still in critical condition and has had numerous surgeries; they even had to amputate one of his legs. I cry just thinking about it, how terribly injured he is.

I did find out that he is conscious, even if heavily medicated. They were able to take him off the ventilator and now he can at least communicate with his family. Lyle has never hiked with us, but he has never missed a party, so I feel I know him somewhat. Not as much as Peggy, but over the years we learn a great deal about each other's family life as we hike along, and I knew that Lyle was hard of hearing but had not gotten hearing aids yet. I wonder if he didn't hear the backup sound, or whether it all just happened so fast that he didn't register the significance of the sound quickly enough. I know that I hear that sound often enough that I might not have responded, either.

When I got home I sent an email to Peggy, telling her I'm thinking of both of them and sending fervent wishes that he will recover. She wrote back that there's an old saying that "in every life some rain must fall," but in their case, it's more like a snowstorm that will drastically change the course of their lives. She said they are strong and made stronger by the caring thoughts of friends. We will be kept up to date over the weeks by Linda. Peggy will not be hiking or walking with us for some time to come. My heart just breaks for them.

It is also a reminder to appreciate our loved ones, every single day, because you just never know when an accident like this one will upend the course of your life. I have also thought of the driver of the truck, and how the course of his life has also been changed. He will have to deal with it every day as well. There were no tickets issued, and the accident has been chalked up to inattention by both parties. But Lyle is the one who pays the heaviest price.

I am doing everything I can to care for the condition of my own body, but something like this could happen to any of us. And then the climbing back to whatever semblance of wellness we can muster. I must remember to be thankful for every single bit of health I have, and something like this helps me to continue my efforts. Just last week I joined a 100-day challenge with the yoga studio I attend. First of all, I was just not sure I could commit to fifteen minutes of yoga every single day for 100 days, but after talking it over with other students, I realized that it is a perfect way for me to grow a home practice. I've been wanting to do that, and now I've got a perfect justification to get that going. It started on September 5, and I've now managed to get four days behind me. I found that setting a fifteen-minute timer on my phone lets me know when I'm done, and I've already learned how many asanas I can do in that time period.

The sun is just now rising, and I glimpsed the orange colors of the sunrise through the window, realizing that we are not far from the first day of fall in this hemisphere, and that we will begin our long journey into the dark and wet months of the year. Fall is my favorite season of the year, and I look forward to the brilliant leaves as we move through it. I have so many things in my life to be thankful for, and I sometimes need a reminder to appreciate and enjoy my day to the fullest, for we never know what the future holds.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present. 
I hope that the coming week will bring healing to all who need it (which is pretty much everyone), and that you will not forget to send love and joy out to the world from your own abundance. My tea is gone, the post is written, and the world outside beckons. I wish you all good things until we meet again next week, dear friends.

19 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Such a life altering calamity occurring out of such an ordinary event. Life can change quickly. Our hearts go out to Peggy and her husband.
I feel my ordinary life being restricted much more rapidly right now by my physical condition. I don't like it one bit.

Arkansas Patti said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to Peggy and her husband. What a tragic accident. I have always felt we are all just one breath away from a life altering event.
Hope you enjoy your slower group. Like you said, getting to know new people is not bad.

Gigi said...

I have tears in my eyes. Poor Peggy and Lyle. I am keeping them in my thoughts and prayers. What a tragedy.

Moving to the slower group will bring more people into your life that you will come to cherish their friendship as much as those in the other group.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my, I will say a prayer for Peggy and her husband, such a terrible accident for all concerned.
I think you are wise to hike with the "other" group on hot days...heat exhaustion can sneak up on you very fast. You will do ok with the slower group! It is better to hike with them than to have something happen to curtail all your hiking:)

Marie Smith said...

Reading about Lyle is heart breaking. I wish both him and Peggy all the best!

You will continue to hike though not as fast as before. Such a gift, Jan. Enjoy!

The Furry Gnome said...

Have to admit, I know all about your life changing in a moment!

Elephant's Child said...

I am so very sorry to read about Lyle's misfortunes. Sending oceans of caring for him, for Peggy and everyone who cares about him (including you, dearheart).
Life can and does change in a instant. I love that you will continue to hike, and hope to travel with you vicariously for years to come.

Trish MacGregor said...

Another beautiful Sunday post.Am sending healing thoughts to Lyle. That's so deeply sad.

Red said...

What tragedy for Lyle and Peggy. I wish Lyle a rapid recovery to whatever level he is capable of. Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and change gears to something which is more suitable.

Linda Myers said...

I have a hope that I will age with grace. I'm finding myself not so interested in trekking across airports these days, and I'm a little slower in the morning. Still, we are blessed with our lives. Glad you're taking care of yourself.

Rita said...

So very sad to hear of your friend's husband. Yes, life can change in an instant. I have experienced that a few times already and would gladly pass on any more but know I have no control over it. It sounds like they have a good attitude, a strong bond, and lots of good people around them for support. That is a blessing in itself.

You will obviously still get your cardio workout even in the slower group. They sound like fun people to get to know, too. :) I think you will be one to enjoy getting into a yoga practice at home. Have fun! Life is good! :)

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you for telling us about Lyle and Peggy. I am holding them and their need in my prayer of Oneness. Please do update us at some point about how they are doing.

I know that letting go of the vision you have of yourself as a faster walker is hard, but you have such a love of exercise and keeping your body flexible and strong that I do not doubt you will complete the 100 yoga days and then carry on with them. Your attitude continued to inspire and comfort me. Peace.

C-ingspots said...

So very sorry to hear of your friend's accident. So tragic!
I think you're wise in making the determination to slow down a little bit. Like you mentioned, there is no shame, no harm in joining the more leisurely hikers. New people to meet and new adventures to be had. And you're still out there in the fresh air, beautiful countryside and getting your exercise. Sounds like a win-win to me! Have fun with that, and know that you're just being more kind to your body. She has served you well, and there's no harm in paying that back.

Enjoy the changing of the seasons and all that entails! I'm excited to welcome fall once again. :)

Rian said...

I really like that picture too - and for no particular reason - I just do. Continuing to hike, but possibly with a slower group does sound like a good decision. Being mindful of our bodies and what they can and can't do as we age is sensible. Staying active and socially engaged is important, but with your hiking, walking, gardening, and friends, you certainly fulfill that need.
So sorry to hear about your friend's husband. That was really a freak accident. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Lillian Robinson said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's accident. Life can change quickly. Even though you are "slowing down" you can still run circles (quite literally) around most people your age--and mine! You inspire me to push myself. I will.

#1Nana said...

I love how realistic and truthful you are. It takes courage to recognize our own limitations and find a path to move forward. You are a role model for me...not that I'll climb mountains, but that I will learn to be truthful about the limitations of aging and move forward. Adapt and move forward is a good leason to learn.

Tabor said...

This post is significant as just yesterday my husband was cutting a huge downed limb of a tree into pieces and I kept checking on him from the house as he was pushing his limits in the heat and humidity, but determined to get the path to the dock cleared so we could move stuff up to shelter before this impending hurricane. I saw clearly in my mind how easily this could have been a life changing event. Keep those of us in the path of Florence in our thoughts as well.

Glenda Beall said...

What a horrible accident for poor Lyle. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and Peggy. We never know what can happen to change us in a mere moment.
I recently heard a blind man who had a terrible accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down say, "When we cannot change our circumstances, we face the challenge of changing ourselves." I find that to be true with ageing. I can't change the fact that my body can't do what I want it to anymore, so like you, Djan, I have the challenge of changing myself. Better to hike more slowly than not to hike at all.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

How unfortunate for Peggy and all. Yes blows to loved ones we all have some experience in our lives. And we need to be greatful for each day we can be together. I understand that climbing gets harder as we move up in age. Hope you have had a check up on your heart recently. I was of the impression you love all seasons. It surprises me to hear you say fall is your favorite . We are still in UK for 5 days.