I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, September 29, 2019

My favorite season

Me at Lily Lake last Thursday
Melanie took this picture of me last week, and I didn't see it until I checked her Facebook posting about the hike. Lily Lake is still pretty, but as the season progresses, all the brush in front of me will begin to change colors and thin out. I love this time of the year, when it's cool for hiking but not yet cold, and the foliage brightens the landscape. My favorite season.

I am so pleased to be able to join my hiking friends once again, feeling like I'm almost back to normal. But not really: I really suffered on the downhill section of the hike back down the steep trail. Without my hiking poles, I wouldn't have been able to do it. But once you're out there, you don't have a lot of choice about it, you need to get back down. My knee is still sore, but now I'm beginning to think this is as good as it's going to get. I'll manage. It's not the distance that gets me, but the elevation change, especially navigating the steep downhill.

Yesterday I walked with the ladies around Lake Padden, a trip we make at least once a month, and for the past few months I've only gone once around the lake, but yesterday I went twice around, so I am slowly making progress. At my age, I should be happy that I am able to see a positive difference, but I am still in denial about my abilities. Just because it was easy a decade ago doesn't translate to the present day. Why is that so hard to accept?

One of my blogging friends, a new one I just recently discovered, hosts a blog she calls Engaging with Aging. She just wrote her 100th post, which is pretty amazing, when you consider she started writing this blog only two years ago, when she was 95. Her writing is clear and concise, and she talks about ARCs and how she deals with them. ARC stands for age-related changes, and I find her optimism and mental acuity inspiring. Here's an excerpt from her 100th:
Looking ahead, I foresee postings that reflect my accumulating, progressing ARCs, their effects that are creating increasingly difficult challenges and the constant, conscious adaptations that fill the minutes and hours of my day. I’ll continue to share what I can of my ongoing journey.
When I begin to feel grumpy about what I can or cannot do any more, I find myself gravitating over to her blog and reading one of the previous posts. She has not lost one whit of her sense of humor or joy at being alive, and she rarely communicates dismay over her ARCs. I figure if she can do it, so can I.

The internet and the community it has created through the blogs of everyday people has truly changed my life. Doris (the blogger in question) says that her blog allows her to "wake in the morning, ideas churning, eager to start the day." As I sit here in the dark, writing to fulfill my Sunday morning meditation, I now think of her, waking up and raring to go. I discovered that she was an RN for much of her life, so she knows how to help people, and those around her are now helping her in much the same way as she did when she was working.

But Doris is just one person within the pantheon of the blogosphere. I also have so many others who brighten my days with their posts. And they are all over the globe: some are here on this continent, but I also share community with one in Australia. I keep forgetting when I mention winter or summer, that it's opposite for her. She displays spring flowers while I enjoy the bright colors of fall. Some of my favorites live close to the water, while others are urban dwellers. One friend in Canada had a serious brush with his mortality and almost died during an operation. He is now in a wheelchair and writes of the changes he faces, having been an avid hiker before becoming paralyzed from the waist down. And there are so many others who feel as close to me as family members.

My sister just sent me a text, wondering where my post for this morning is. She's three hours ahead of me in time, so I guess she forgot. This post is taking a bit longer than usual, because I'm thinking about what I want to communicate, and it's elusive. Sometimes when I sit down to write, it all just pops out without much effort, and other times I struggle to find a direction. I am looking forward to a beautiful day, but this part of it takes as long as it takes, there's no shortcut. Oh, I could just throw some words on the page, but then I would feel bad about not having done due diligence in composing this properly for my readers.

And so, I just went looking for a quote (I always like to include one) about aging, and I found this succinct one from Betty Friedan):
Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength.
I think Doris can attest to that. I encourage you to explore her world, and her incredible writing. And now, perhaps, I've gotten to the place where I can begin to wind this up and begin the rest of my day. My dear partner still sleeps quietly next to me, it's still dark outside, and my day beckons. The coffee shop awaits my attendance. Until we meet again next week, dear readers, I hope you will have lots of quiet adventures and happy times with those you love and who love you. Be well.

13 comments:

Rian said...

"Just because it was easy a decade ago doesn't translate to the present day. Why is that so hard to accept?" - your words. I wish I knew the answer to this, DJan. Several things have happened to me in the last few weeks that have made me realize that I also cannot "push" myself too far (physically) at this age of 74 without the possibility of debilitating results.
Also thank you for sending me to Doris' blog. I just came from there and began reading some of her back posts. She has a few years on us and can definitely be a wonderful guide in this journey into aging. Thank you again.

gigi-hawaii said...

I added Doris' blog to my blog roll. She inspires me to keep going. If she can, why can't I?

Marie Smith said...

I always take inspiration from my 87 year old MIL. She is active and healthy, adjusting to the transitions in life as she goes. Enjoy every day I say. Without regrets!

Linda Reeder said...

I have breakfast every Friday morning with a friend who is 92. Yes, she has age related limitations, but she thinks and acts young, and just recently returned from a cruise to Norway, her ancestral land, but one she had never before had the opportunity to visit. Now she is taking art classes - water color!
I am reminded every morning. when I get out of bed, of my increasing imitations, but I really don't like to dwell on them. So now I will get moving. After breakfast, exercises and a fitness walk are on the schedule, then a drive to West Seattle to watch grandson Isaac play soccer, them home again to watch the Sounders play their next-to-the-last game of the regular season on TV.
The sun is shining and the chill in the air remands us that autumn is here. Be well and happy.

William Kendall said...

Very well said!

Elephant's Child said...

I am off to visit Doris. I so often find inspiration here in the blogosphere - and thank you all.
ARC and Disability Related Changes some days outsuck Dyson, but the world is still jam packed with beauty and wonder.

Gigi said...

It IS frustrating to realize that you can't do easily what used to be so easy.

Red said...

I will be eighty next month. I still participate in active activities like cycling and skating. I have decided that on my 80th birthday I will stop these activities. I decided that it didn't make any sense to be a hero and ride until I'm 90 if the risk of accident and injury was high. So I will find some other things to keep me busy. I will certainly be walking much more. It was time for me to face some reality.

Rita said...

I will pop over to visit her blog, for sure. She sounds inspirational--as are you.
Have a great week. :)

Arkansas Patti said...

Smiled at all you carry on your hikes. You have a full backpack.
I will visit her when I leave here. Thanks for the link. Aging really is a constant process of adjustments. Our minds want us to be as agile as we once were but if we work at it, we can find a plan B that works and satisfies.

Galen Pearl said...

A friend asked me recently about my views on aging. I replied, "I highly recommend it!" Ha!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Ackkkk...I just do what I can do everyday...no more no less... and be happy with that!

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you for sharing with us the new blog you are following. After posting this comment, I'll go and read the latest posting there. It is so wonderful that at a distance our words and sentiments can touch the lives of others. Life is good. Peace.