I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Swans and more

Swans in the Skagit Valley
I found this lovely picture on one of my Facebook friends' page, of the migrating swans that show up in this area every fall. I had been seeing some queries about whether they have started migrating yet, and then this picture. They sure are beautiful! Then, after reading about their journey on this page from Nature, I also learned that we have other white-winged birds in our area. From that page:
Swans migrate from Alaska down to Washington every year. Two kinds of swans make this annual journey: trumpeter swans and tundra swans. Both can be seen at places like western Washington’s Skagit Delta, where they may mingle together.
Now, considering the other information on that page, I'm wondering if maybe these are snow geese, rather than swans as they were labeled on my friend's site. The reason for that is I learned that the snow geese congregate in huge numbers.
For many, Washington’s flocks of winter snow geese are a favorite spectacle. While these birds come here every year, they never fail to amaze. Why? Because they come to western Washington’s greater Skagit Delta by the tens of thousands! When these flocks take off en masse – say, because a bald eagle flies overhead – they are so noisy and dizzying to behold that it’s easy to lose one's balance. 
So, that picture is either of swans or snow geese. Maybe one of my readers is more familiar with them and can tell the difference. In any event, I sure love to see so many beautiful waterfowl all at once.

* * *
 Last night, we gained an extra hour of sleep; it's only 4:30am on the clock, but 5:30am to my body's clock, so here I am writing my post "early" because I couldn't sleep any longer. Tonight I'll need to force myself to stay awake past my usual bedtime or this problem will continue again into tomorrow morning. It's funny, I easily adapt to the time change in the spring, when we lose an hour, much more than I do in the fall. Perhaps it's my own circadian rhythm to have shorter, rather than longer, days.

Many people tend to get depressed as the daylight dwindles, but it doesn't happen that way for me. In fact, I find recently that I have unexplained moments of happiness well up several times a day. Although I do get dragged down occasionally by world events, mostly I just live in the smaller community of my home town, where life is pretty good. However, tonight the sun will set at 4:46 and will continue to set earlier and earlier, until we get to the winter solstice on December 21st, when it will set at 4:15pm. I keep track by using timeanddate.com for my area. I find very interesting to peruse the chart and consider how different it would be if I lived, for example, in Florida. While we are experiencing a fairly normal fall, my sister is still enduring abnormally warm temperatures there.

I much prefer having a real change in the seasons. And since we live so far north, we also get the long days in summer and long nights in winter. I am also fascinated by the fact that in the Southern Hemisphere, it's just the opposite: they are moving into summer, and their days are growing longer. What a wonderful planet we live on.

Sometimes I wonder whether I will live long enough to see real positive change in the world. Probably not, since I guess it will need to get worse before we come to our senses and begin to take care of Mother Earth. I try to do my part by using less plastic, recycling wherever I can, and reducing my carbon footprint as much as possible. I ride the bus almost every day. When I walk to the bus stop on my way to the Y, I also get additional exercise and never miss my step count for the day. I'm rather addicted to the way I feel after I've had a dose of physical activity.

I recently learned that we have a serious obesity epidemic here in the United States. I kind of noticed that, once I moved here from Boulder, Colorado, where the number of overweight people is not as high as here. It's been awhile since I was there, so maybe I would see more obese people if I visited today.
Over 70 million adults in U.S. are obese (35 million men and 35 million women). 99 million are overweight (45 million women and 54 million men). 2016 statistics showed that about 39.6% of American adults were obese. Men had an age-adjusted rate of 37.9% and Women had an age-adjusted rate of 41.1%.
That quote is from the Wikipedia link about obesity.  Does this mean that almost all those overweight people don't exercise? I notice at the gym that there are very few obese people. It might mean they are leaner because they are more active, or it might be that some overweight people don't want to dress in workout clothes. I know that exercise and diet are essential elements to my own efforts to maintain a proper weight. Although I carry a few more pounds that I'd like, my BMI (body mass index) places me in the normal category. And every extra pound means that much more stress on my vulnerable knees.

Going back to the beautiful birds at the beginning of his post, they sure don't have to worry about getting too much food to eat. It is rather amazing to think about what the problems are that cause humans to overindulge. Are we looking for security if we keep eating when we're not hungry?
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do people as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. —Helen Keller
Yes,  a daring adventure. That's from the experience of Helen Keller, who managed to lead a wonderful life without being able to see or hear. She read and wrote numerous books, graduated from a prestigious college, and is an inspiration to many, including me. When she writes that avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure, she speaks directly to me.

And that brings me to the end of this rather self-indulgent post. I just followed wherever my thoughts took me, and now it's almost time to get out of bed and begin a new day. My partner still sleeps next to me, the tea is long gone, and the coffee shop beckons. Although it won't even open for more than an hour, I'll get up and putter around a bit before heading out the door. Until we meet again next week, dear friends, I wish you all good things.

15 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

I am obese but not morbidly so. It just goes to show you don't have to be skinny to live to 73 as I have. Lol.

Linda Reeder said...

Yes, those are snow geese. Swans are larger and not as numerous in the Skagit Valley. It is worth the trip down to the valley to see them in the fields, both geese and swans, and eagles! Lots of eagles!

Tabor said...

I enlarged the photo and it looked like geese to me. We get swans that migrate and pause in the CArolinas somewhere. We saw them one November. I would like to repeat that. I am beginning to think that I need to be more focused on things that I do. I tend to drift through things and hurry to get onto the next thing. Your posts always help me pause and then consider!

Rian said...

My guess is geese too! We have a flock of about 2-3 dozen geese on the campus. They are everywhere... luckily they don't chase the students (at least I haven't seen any do this).

As for the time change, it doesn't bother me either way. Now that we've 'fallen back' - there's only 4 hours difference between my son in Hawaii and us (instead of the usual 5 hours)
This time difference is important when it comes to making phone calls or texting...

And I know that DH and I need to exercise more... we only walk twice a week and even then it only amounts to about 5,000 steps - but we don't have anywhere near the beautiful nature areas you have to walk in.

Elephant's Child said...

How I would love to see those geese.
I am having problems adjusting to our time shift. We moved forward a few weeks ago. The mornings are fine (I am an early riser) but the evenings less so.
Enjoy your day/week/life.

William Kendall said...

What a legion of them!

Arkansas Patti said...

I'm thinking geese also. We have the trumpeter swans in Ar in late November and not near that number. Swans are massive birds with 8 foot wing spans. Still seeing such a massive group of birds would be thrilling.
Me too. I do better in the springing forward than the falling back. Callie does also. Don't tell her she doesn't get fed for another hour.

Gigi said...

That picture is amazing! I usually don't have too hard of a time adjusting to the time change.

Have a great week.

Galen Pearl said...

I had no idea swans come to the PNW (although I agree the photo is probably of geese). How magnificent. I don't think they get as far south as Portland though. I've never heard or seen anything about them here.

But your post reminded me of a funny swan story. When my son was two, we were at a tulip farm that had a display garden complete with ponds and swans. Somehow his shoe fell off and floated off in the water like a little boat. A swan made a beeline for it thinking it might be edible and I had to race to get to the shoe first. Very funny if you were there. Mom vs swan.

The Furry Gnome said...

Those "unexplained moments of happinesss" sound wonderful! I think I need some more of those. Amazing pictures of those Swans/Geese. I think they're geese too, not long enough necks for Swans. We saw a huge flock of Sandhill Cranes today.

Red said...

Definitely snow geese. They go through here by the thousands....beautiful birds. Now the swans are much larger with much longer necks. Swans are in much smaller flocks.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Snow Geese is my guess...we don't see them here but we do have Swans mostly Trumpeter Swans.

That must be some sight to see! I hope you have a good week. My body hates the time change...it makes me a tad cranky:(

Marie Smith said...

They do look like geese. Such a huge flock. I love how geese travel in flocks. They need others of their kind. Like humans, most of them anyway.

Rita said...

Look like snow geese. Necks too short and bodies too small to be swans...but what a sight!!!

I always have a difficult time with the time change--either way. Throws me off for days. I've always thought it was funny that they say they created DST to help the farmers. Critters do not read clocks and there are only so many daylight hours in a day no matter what label you put on them. ;)

Dee said...

Dear DJan, I wonder if you have ever read the slim book written by Paul Gallico back in the 1940s or 50s. It's entitled "The Snow Goose," and the language and story were a great influence on me in my youth. The story is beautifully written, but poignant and left me crying for the depth of goodness in humanity. I reread the story last year--it takes about an hour--and even then I still wept for the sheer beauty of being human. Peace.