I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Nostalgia

Mt Baker from Chain Lakes trail
I woke from a dream this morning that was tied to my years of skydiving. One of the activities I enjoyed very much was working as a freefall photographer, filming people who were practicing for competition. I was filming a 4-way group when I broke my pelvis in 2000 after a bad landing. And although I recovered and went on to make many more skydives, I never again wore a camera helmet. In my dream last night, I wore one again.

In some ways, the fact that it all happened twenty years ago seems impossible to believe, but at other times it feels like it was more than a lifetime ago. I haven't made a skydive in five years, but it was such a central part of my life for so long (25 years) that it's still, and always will be, an unforgettable part of me. I spent more than 62 hours of my life in freefall, averaging 50 seconds at a time, during more than 4,000 leaps from airplanes. And helicopters and hot-air balloons. Not only my pelvis, but my entire being, is changed because of those years spent involved in the sport. So I guess it's not surprising that I would dream about it now and then.

In the dream, one of the resident videographers had been injured, and I was trying to decide whether or not I would take his place on the roster. As is the nature of dreams, it all seemed so mundane and my decision revolved around whether or not I could be trusted by those I would be filming not to fall on them. Here's the way it works: the videographer climbs outside the aircraft, holding onto the frame, and the team gets in position in the door, all holding onto each other so that they don't need to build the first formation from scratch. They give a count, and the videographer needs to see the count and leave a split second before the team, so that you can capture the exit for later scrutiny. They then begin to make a series of formations, while the videographer films from a position just above and to the side of them. (Maybe it's easier to see if I show you a picture, snagged from the internet.)
Videographer
What the videographer needs to do is get close enough to the formation to show all the grips, but not close enough to get into the disturbed air above them (called the burble), because then you would not have any air to fly on yourself, and you would take out the formation (I almost did that once). The videographer needs to trust the skydivers not to do anything unexpected, and when filming, you need to leave a bit before they turn and track off in order for each one to have clear air to deploy a parachute. I didn't mean to get involved in all this detail, but when I tried to explain, it became more and more difficult. Suffice it to say that it was a period of time in my life that I enjoyed tremendously, but it was decades ago. Now all I do is occasionally dream about it.

When I moved to the Pacific Northwest in 2008, I continued to skydive occasionally, but it was never the all-consuming activity it had been for so many years. Instead, I began to hike with the Senior Trailblazers and became a fixture in the group that went every Thursday on a hike that gave us plenty of miles and elevation gain and loss. In the summer, we would go on several favorite hikes. One of them is in the Mt. Baker wilderness area, a seven-mile-long loop up over a pass and down into the Chain Lakes region. I took that picture at the beginning of this post in 2018, on a clear day in August.

It's now been more than two months since we've been on any hikes together, because of the pandemic and the lockdown still in effect. Although I've tried to be positive during this period, I sometimes forget that while I am able to walk and occasionally even go into the local forests around here, I am losing my ability to walk long distances and climb and descend passes, like the one I had to climb in order to take that picture of Mt. Baker. Of course, it was beginning to be more difficult even before this pandemic shutdown took effect. For the past two or three summers, I would skip the more challenging hikes because it became impossible for me to keep up with the others. 

Now I realize that, just as I gradually lost the enthusiasm for skydiving, I will probably not be able to continue, after this is over, to continue my activities at the level that I took for granted before. Life moves on, and we don't get to stay in the moment; everything must be appreciated and enjoyed when it happens. I'm not saying I'm unhappy about it all, but it's obvious to me that these months away from the gym, away from logging step counts in the thousands, it will not be the same when I return to my usual activities. 

Last week I went on a rather strenuous hike on Thursday, with my friend Melanie urging me on, and I am still recovering from it, three days later. I had a Zoom yoga class yesterday, which helped me get over most of the real soreness, but I realized that the hike was more than I should have attempted. Some of us take awhile to accept changes in our lives, and especially in our bodies, while others adapt much more easily. Unfortunately for me, I am one of those who needs to be constantly reminded of my evolving circumstances. No one can take away those years of enjoyment in the mountains with my dear friends, and I can still continue to take pleasure in them in a more sedate manner.
There are a few moments in your life when you are truly and completely happy, and you remember to give thanks. Even as it happens you are nostalgic for the moment, you are tucking it away in your scrapbook. ― David Benioff
My own virtual scrapbook is overflowing with wonderful memories of times gone by, times spent with exhilarating activities and dear friends. Those memories are precious to me, and they will always be available to sift through, remember, and give thanks.

And of course I always remember to give thanks for you, my dear readers, who spend a few moments with me in our wonderful shared virtual room. It's always nice to be together. My tea is gone, my dear partner still sleeps, and it's time for me to begin the rest of my Sunday, make some coffee to sip in my favorite chair, and reminisce about the old days. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things and admonish you to stay safe.

20 comments:

ApacheDug said...

My gosh, over 4000 leaps--I'm surprised you don't dream of being in the sky more often! I'm sorry that the realities of life (and aging) are slowing you down some DJan, but it sure is awesome how you've taken such advantage of what life has to offer. And I appreciate the detail here in regards to what the videographer does, and 'burbles'.

Linda Reeder said...

I was experiencing some anxiety just reading about being a sky diving videographer. I would have nightmares, not dreams. But you are an adventurer, and I am not.
I am mourning the loss of long, peaceful, and contemplative walks. I long for the freedom of movement I had not so long ago. My limitations have come along slowly, but now I am crippled up enough by my back problems that I can't even enjoy a short walk, even though I try to do them when I am not hurting too much. I am not yet resigned to my new limitations.
You still have plenty of get up and go, so do get up and go, just maybe not straight up and down a mountain.
Peace be with you.

John's Island said...

Today’s post made me think about how fast time is going by. I was following you five years ago when you made your last skydive and wrote about it. I can’t believe that’s already been five years! The story about your dream is interesting. Coincidentally, my favorite Sunday morning TV show is CBS’s Sunday Morning and, yes, there was a segment this morning about dreaming and how COVID-19 may be affecting dreams. I’ll bet you would find it interesting and you can probably find it with a Google search. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead. Take care, stay safe, and be well.

Rian said...

DJan, you are very fortunate to have such wonderful memories of earlier adventures. Your new adventures may not be as exciting (as sky-diving or hiking long difficult trails), but there are still new ones out there. This Pandemic is an adventure... not necessarily one we will look back on fondly, but still an adventure. And some good may come out of it yet. More people are communicating, thinking of others, and realizing that we are definitely all in this together. The scary part is not knowing what the future holds (which I guess we have never really known but thought we did). So best to take it day by day and do what we can to help each other. And I think the 2020 graduates will always be known as the front force to life in the new normal.

Marie Smith said...

I imagine you will recover some of your strength and stamina when you get back in the gym Jan. Until then, stay safe.

Arkansas Patti said...

That picture of Mt. Baker is just beautiful.
I too remember when you took your last dive. That info about the videographer was really interesting. I always wondered how everyone stayed out of each others way.
Sadly this pandemic is forcing many to back off their fitness programs. I found years ago that the older I got the quicker I got out of shape and the longer it took to get back in.
Hope you find a way to satisfy your great spirit yet still scale back a little.

gigi-hawaii said...

It will be interesting to see what you will do after the pandemic is over.

Tabor said...

I find it easier to talk myself into giving up something that could be dangerous. I can no longer scramble over rocks and hiking, real hiking, is a difficult challenge. Hubby wants me to go on and he and I sometimes will argue over it. I know it is because he does not want me to age! I have been having some very strange dreams, but they are easy to interpret.

Galen Pearl said...

I know what you mean. I feel that way about martial arts. I have given up much of the more vigorous combat practices -- just too hard on my body at this age. However, I've found that working with weapons, and practicing tai chi as a martial art (most people practice it for exercise, but it was originally a combat martial art) has filled much of the same enjoyment. I also notice that I just don't generally have the physical stamina of several years ago, although I'm grateful to still be in good health and pain free. Adapt, accept, enjoy.

Elephant's Child said...

I suspect that when you can rejoin the hikers and go back to the gym you will recover some at least of your fitness. Take it easy though. Please.
I was fascinated (and awed) by your description of the work involved in videographing formation flying.
Your memory banks are INCREDIBLY rich.
Stay safe, stay well. Hugs.

Gigi said...

Time, does indeed, fly - it seems like only a year or so ago since you gave up skydiving. Before you decide to give up those more strenuous hikes, I'd wait and see what happens when you are able to up your activity levels.

That photo of Mt. Baker is amazing!!

Have a great week, DJan!

Sheila said...

As I recall, there are three levels of hikers at the senior center so hopefully you will feel comfortable going with a group of hikers that may be a bit less rigorous. The Y in my town offers online classes so we've been doing three strength classes and two yoga classes per week and walking daily. As someone mentioned, strength seems to leave easily, but it takes a long time to return. We're not comfortable going back to the gym when it reopens, but thankfully, they are planning to keep classes online, too.

The Furry Gnome said...

What a life you've lived!

Red said...

Don't tell me your hiking is over! You've done extremely well to make it this far. Yes, there are many other things to do and you touch on that.

Haddock said...

That free fall is a great thing. Once I had the experience of sitting in the co pilot's seat when my son jumped (in Chicago) and captured all the activities inside the plane. What an experience.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I didn't know that you took videos while in flight! Awesome! I hope you find some kind of walking/hiking to keep up with your steps. One day at a time and do the best you can! :)

Rita said...

I remember how you gradually decided to end your flying days. There had been some changes the past year or so with the hiking and walking groups. This pandemic has just pushed the issue. But once things open up again I would imagine you will find a level of activity that fits you and work your way along and up to more. Just know you will have to start a bit slower because you're out of practice but I can't imagine you not being out and about in nature. At the moment you might have to take it slower and easier than you used to, but that's okay. Just getting out there is the point. It's good for your soul. :)

Anvilcloud said...

I am not sure how old you are, but you are doing remarkably well compared to me and many others.

John's Island said...

When I left my comment here yesterday morning I clearly forgot to mention one thing … that photo at the beginning with Mt Baker in the distance. That image qualifies for one of those photo calendars. Just a gorgeous shot!

Glenda Beall said...

I am feeling nostalgic myself these days. I have been doing genealogy and reading about the 1940s and realizing we have come through so much harder times than having to stay home most of the time. We can still get food, and tires for our cars, and, unlike the Great Depression, we have so much more protection by government for those who can't work at this time. I am feeling the slowing down of my body during this time and feeling my age more than usual. But, I try to remind positive that this will pass and I am taking all care to limit my risks to becoming ill. We have so much more than we are losing as long as we have health, a home and food on the table. You have beautiful memories that will stay with you always and so do I. And you have your partner beside you. That is what I miss most - my husband to help me through this.