I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Smoke and memories

View from my living room
Yesterday the wind direction in Bellingham changed from easterly to southerly, and it blew in smoke from Oregon. From just gentle bits of smoke to this, we are now admonished that the air quality is "Very Unhealthy." No kidding. I looked up the AirNow.gov website to see just how bad it was, and I had to agree: it was bad. They have created a very cool dial on that link for you to plug in the name of your city and see what the air quality is right at the moment. 

At first glance yesterday, I thought the majority of the haze was caused by fog, since the air didn't hurt my eyes or lungs as I headed out to the coffee shop. Early on, the dial said the air was "Unhealthy" but had not fallen into the higher category. What is measured is particulate matter (PM2.5) of a certain size that is caused by the burning of trees and buildings. I decided to take a short walk on flat ground with my friend Melanie and then go home and hunker down as the day progressed. We went from a reading of 196 to 211, but just to see how bad it was in Portland, where my blogging friend Ronni lives, I checked to see what she is dealing with: 515! Unbelievably bad air! We don't have any choice of whether or not to breathe, but she has COPD and I truly hope she is able to cope with this awful air. What do people DO who have lost their home to fire and have no place to go? It's beyond cruel.

When I consider how many people are coping with the twin disasters of coronavirus and fires, it simply breaks my heart. I can stay inside, because I actually have a home that gives me shelter from the elements, and from the virus as well. This is the first time I wish I actually had an N95 mask, because they filter out particulate matter, but I suspect it would be impossible to find one now. Instead, I'll just stay indoors and read or watch TV. Maybe I'll watch Hamilton on Disney+ again, since I enjoyed it so much and it's rather on the long side. It also takes me away from the current situation and transports me back in time a century or two. If the library was open, I'd browse the shelves until I found a big thick book filled with plenty of distractions. But it's not: at the moment you can request a book and when it is ready, you can drive there and someone will deposit it into your car's trunk, with no actual contact with anyone.

What a strange world we live in these days. It's the same everywhere, I guess, but at least in Europe and a few other countries the virus is under control. Here, we are lucky to have some places that are relatively safe, but they still require stringent controls to keep it from surging again. Until we have a vaccine, I guess this will be the shape of our lives for months to come. And I am not jumping into line to be the first to get it, since I want others to take it and see how it works for them. That may seem a bit cowardly (and it is, really), but I am afraid it is being rushed to market for political purposes. I want to know if it's safe for old people like me before they jab me with the needle. I'll be getting my flu shot in a week or two, though, as I've done for years now. I feel confident that the worst I'll get is a sore arm for a day or two. I'm just hoping that we can get through this awful year in one piece.

Okay, enough about disasters and pandemics. There are still plenty of wonderful places that I can point my mind towards, and I'll just have to root around in the attic of my mind and look for something positive to focus on. Here I am cruising along, looking, browsing in the mists of memory...

And there it is: my skydiving years! What a wonderful time they were for me. For those of you who don't know the history of how I became a skydiver, it was a simple tandem jump in Loveland, Colorado, with a friend who had always wanted to make a skydive. I went along with it, because it seemed like a fun thing to do. Any of you who have ever made a tandem jump yourself know what I'm talking about. An experienced and well trained instructor straps you to his front, and the two of you travel up in an airplane until you exit together, with him or her in charge of the oversized parachute, while you experience the thrill of a lifetime! I can tell you, the long journey from the seat of the airplane to the open door is something nobody can forget. Then you dangle your feet out into space while your instructor sort of leans forward and you both enter freefall.

I certainly didn't know how much my life would change from that fateful moment until today. But the man sleeping next to me would come into my life because of it, and the thousands of skydives I have made since would become the center of my existence. I became an instructor myself, although not a tandem instructor but a freefall instructor, where you take someone out of the airplane who is wearing their own parachute. I was an active skydiver for more than twenty-five years before retiring at the age of 72. It will always be something I remember and reminisce about with joy and excitement, even today. My memories are filled with more than sixty hours of time spent in freefall, many of them with my dear partner holding my hand, gazing out at the world as we fell towards the earth. Ah, it is a wonderful time, something I will carry with me forever.

I suspect that you have times that you can recall in your past that bring joy when you remember, and you might reminisce about those days. It's also possible that you find yourself surrounded by family and friends right now, today, and that brings you joy. We don't have many choices we can make these days, but remembering and rejoicing is always available to us. In any event, we are truly a product of all we have lived through, including now.
It takes one thought, one second, one moment of positive memory to act as a catalyst for the light to gradually seep in again. —Fearne Cotton

 And with that, dear friends, I will again make my way to the coffee shop to spend a bit of time with my current coffee family, then come home to my dear life partner who sleeps contentedly next to me as I write. He is getting stronger every day, and we continue to spend our days together in gratitude for each other. Until we meet again next week, be well, my dear virtual family.

22 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

It's nice to have pleasant memories of prior exciting experiences. I have never sky dived in my life. But, I do like to remember traveling around the world, teaching English in Thailand, and attending Columbia University in NYC. These days, I find myself in the kitchen, making good food for us to eat. That brings much joy and fun into my life.

Linda Reeder said...

You have my mind searching for good old memories instead of dwelling on the pain I am experiencing. With that, I'll head for the shower and start my day. I have Seahawks football to watch this morning!

ApacheDug said...

I was thinking of you & SG yesterday, watching the news and seeing how the Pacific Northwest was being affected. This is beyond surreal and frightening, I have an old classmate who lives in Portland, OR and she says she’s ready to move home to Pittsburgh. (Funny, never thought I’d hear that...) DJan I enjoy reading of your skydiving years, it just shocks me you’ve done it thousands of times! It sounds like a pretty exhilarating thing, I’d love to experience it once at least—if I ever do, you’ll be the first to know. Hope you have a good week ahead & your skies clear soon. Be careful out there.

Far Side of Fifty said...

:) Glad you found something positive to perk up your day! No smoke here yet and the air quality is good but who knows. My husband has a N95 mask if need be. One day at a time is all we can do...Hi to your Smart Guy! :)

Gigi said...

You've been in my thoughts with all the fires. Stay safe, my friend.

Rian said...

"What a strange world we live in these days." This is so true.

Elephant's Child said...

I do love your upliftiing Sunday posts.
I well remember enduring weeks of 'hazardous' air during our fires. At least we didn't have the pandemic to deal with. And love that you have positive memories to go to - as I do.

Margaret said...

I'm not enjoyed being cooped up in my house, but as my late husband's oncologist told us, "The lungs are very unforgiving." I do have one N95 but I save it for plane trips to (hopefully) visit my daughters back East. I'm definitely not a homebody and love exercise and the outdoors, so this smoke situation is depressing. However, I do have a comfortable home and lots of good reading, for which I am grateful.

Anvilcloud said...

I dunno about clacking the keyboard right next to that guy. He is a sound sleeper, or maybe hard of hearing, or you clack softly, or some combination thereof. :)

I saw that remnants of the smoke reached Scandinavia.

I can imagine that sky diving would be thrilling. If I had had the opportunity at a young age, I would have been tempted, but my nervousness of heights increased greatly over the years.

Friko said...

Another Sunday, another post to gladden my heart. Yes, we live in dangerous times, yes, things are badly out of control, but we can still search for and find uplifting memories, even brand new ones which are only happening right now.

Take care, stay safe and cling to the good parts. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Marie Smith said...

I wondered about Bellingham and its air quality. Stay safe, Jan.

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you've got those memories! I have all kinds of great memories to rely on.

Red said...

Yes, as if covid isn't enough we get smoke. we have smoke here today. I know we need a vaccine for covid but like you I'm not taking the first think that comes along.

Tabor said...

The world is too much these days. It seems that we have earned this challenge with our disregard for eath in general and human life specfically. I have hopes that at least COVID will decrease, but that is months away.

Arkansas Patti said...

I remember once telling a friend who asked why I did some slightly dangerous things that I was building a bank account of rocking chair memories. Never got to sky dive but glad you have those to relive when necessary. These days when disease or in your case, smoke keep us inside it is nice to have those places to visit and smile.
Careful of that air, I heard it can be comparable to smoking.
So glad SG is still improving nicely.

Rita said...

Skydiving would be the thing of nightmares for me--LOL! My wonderful memories are a lot tamer than yours. ;)

William Kendall said...

It's been an awful year.

Linda Myers said...

We're having smokey skies here in Tucson, but not nearly as severe as yours. I'm scheduled to fly home to Seattle on Saturday. Hope it's improved by then.

During this multi-crisis time I've been lucky to be distracted by the basement-to-apartment remodel going on at our Washington home. I spend a lot of time online buying what we'll need, as all our stuff lives upstairs with our son and his family, who are renting that part of the house from us.

Take care of yourself, friend!

Dee said...

Dear DJan, it's so wonderful to learn that your partner is feeling better and better as the two of you share gratitude for what has been and what will be. As I've watched the evening news and then PBS Newshour, I've wondered about all the bloggers whom I follow who live in Washington, Oregon, and California. What is happening in so many places there is horrific. I can't imagine the fear and stress and desperation so many must be feeling.

There is a fine article in today's New York Times about how climate change is going to result in vast migrations in the United Stares away from the coasts--West, East, and Southern. The article explores all sorts of reasons for this--all related to climate change and how it exacerbates the aftermath of the weather conditions we've experienced for years.

Much of what the author writes about will happen after my death, but my nieces and nephew and their children and grandchildren will need to deal with this. I hope they will have more wisdom than my generation has had. Peace.

Betsy said...

I see you comment often on Connie's Far Side of Fifty blog but I've never checked to see if you had a blog of your own. And then I find out you also live in Washington, (I'm in Spokane.) I enjoyed reading your post today and learning about your skydiving and other things too. I hope to learn more about you as I follow your writing.
Blessings,
Betsy

Glenda Beall said...

I wondered if the fires were effecting you, DJan. Seems everyone is getting some smoke. Even in the mountains of NC, smoke has drifted however not so much as you have.
I am visiting my sister in the Atlanta area and we were lucky not to get bad weather from Sally, the hurricane that blew in from the Gulf of Mexico. Like you, find myself thinking of happy times in the past, missing my siblings, but enjoying my memories. Glad your life partner is improving.

Caitlynne Grace said...

DJan,
Not being American, I don't always know where a place is in the US. But when the news on the latest fires mentioned the Pacific Northwest, I immediately recalled that you lived there because you have written before that it is among the most scenic places in your country.

I'm so sorry about those fires and all that come with it. The poor quality of air might seem like the lesser of the consequences of the fires but I know how difficult it makes life. For an avid hiker/walker like you, it's not what you want. I hope some good rains come your way (and to the rest of Oregon too). This fire has wrought enough sorrow as it is.