I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Understanding the cosmos

Looking into the blossoms

When I was walking back home from the coffee shop, I looked across the street and saw the most beautiful blossoms on a tree. Right now many of them around town are in bloom, but this one looked particularly wonderful to my eyes, so I stopped underneath it, looked up and captured this picture. It was a couple of days ago, so what I saw then and what you see now doesn't exist any more. The blooms are already beginning to fade, petals falling to the ground. Nothing stays the same from one moment to the next.

Gradually, I am beginning to have a different sense of what time is, or at least what is measured by our conception of it. According to many sages, it doesn't exist at all. Our lives are so bound by the concept of time, that thinking of stepping outside of its boundaries makes my head spin. But I'm getting used to it. Sort of.
We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.—Stephen Hawking

Just for fun, I watched a documentary about Stephen Hawking today, made in the early nineties, which explores his theories about time and space. Fascinating! His mother thought that he would probably not have come up with his scientific breakthroughs if he had not been disabled, because his brilliance was hard to contain and channel. Once he learned that he would have to work hard just to communicate, his studies took off and we all know what his synthesized voice sounded like as he gave lectures and wrote books with the help of his computer. I think it's amazing he lived to the age of 76, even though he suffered from ALS. Most people with the disease don't make it nearly that long, but he was not willing to stop trying to figure things out. Diagnosed in his early twenties, he was only given two-and-a-half years to live. He lived for another half-century.

Now that I have managed to live almost to the projected average age of someone born in 1942, as I've said before: I won't be dying prematurely, will I? Without that magnificent brain that Stephen had, nobody will be mourning my passing, other than those of my immediate family and friends. Change is usually gradual, rather than sudden, so I note my aging body with some satisfaction, happy that I'm doing as well as I am. But nobody can tell me that age is just a number.

Old age can be broken into three stages: young old (55–65 years of age), middle old (66–85), and old old (85 and older). I don't feel my age, most days anyway, but there's no getting around the fact that I am moving from middle-old and approaching old-old. Looking back, I've had a very good life, and I'm not unhappy to still be able to dance, walk, and wrangle my old body into some yoga postures. When I wake up in the mornings, I stretch and feel where any aches and pains might be needing some attention. There are very few days I wake with no pain at all, but they are minor and can be dealt with just by getting up and moving around.

One thing that Stephen Hawking and I have shared is a fascination with quantum mechanics. He studied how it affects black holes and came to the conclusion (which of course can never be shown for certain) that some subatomic particles can actually escape a black hole, although it was believed for a long time that nothing, not even light, can escape the event horizon of a black hole. Stephen believed that there are probably as many black holes in the universe as there are existing stars. There is one in our own galaxy; they are formed when a star collapses into itself. It's all fascinating stuff, and my own fascination comes from thinking about time and whether it's something other than just a linear process. 

After all, when I read the other day about the Hubble telescope having discovered a star at the outer edges of the universe, the light of which takes more than 12 billion light years to reach our telescopes, it just boggled my mind and made me wonder what it is that we don't understand about our existence. How is that even possible? I am looking forward to the new James Webb telescope beginning to show us even more distant stars and maybe teach us something about the universe we don't already know. If I had my life to live over again, I think I'd like to have been an astronomer. The cosmos draws my interest like little else does.

I feel so very fortunate to have been born in the middle of the twentieth century. When I think of the world that existed at my birth and compare it to the world of today, so much has changed that I think an adult from 1942 who could be transported into the present would not believe so much could have changed in such a short period of time. But it sure has! I'm sitting here with an amazing portable computer in my lap, writing almost instantaneously to a virtual community, and I will soon finish this post and press "publish" and reach YOU, my dear reader. How cool is that?

And a little while after I finish, I'll get up and start my day in this wonderful world, filled with magic. My friend John will pick me up in an hour or so and transport me in his fabulous truck to where we will be graced with a wonderful breakfast, and I'll pull out my little iPad (another tiny computer) and play with it for a short while before coming back home to enjoy watching the rain from inside my safe and warm living room.

My dear partner still sleeps quietly next to me, my tea is gone, and the sun will be coming up soon, starting another revolution from dark to light, and back again. I'm hoping that your day will be a good one, filled with love and joy. Why not? If we can choose between realities, I choose a happy one, for me and for you, dear friends. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things.

21 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

I remember in grade school, my high school brother coming home to fill my tiny brain with the horrors of black holes and how our planet could be destroyed by one. Now that I am old old, that is no longer a back of the mind thought.
You are so right about all the changes and how someone who lived in the 40's would be disbelieving at our progress. I sometimes get astounded even having seen them all in real time. So grateful to have experienced all the advancements and wonder what is to come. It has been a fun ride.

Linda Reeder said...

While I am not there yet age wise, I am certainly feeling old old this morning. Too many parts hurt. But I'll get moving and that will help. I did quite a bit of yard work yesterday, which is adding significantly to my aches and pains, but I am also feeling very happy that I could be outside and get things done. Spring gets more beautiful every day. The dogwood flowers outside my window are now beginning to turn white. Easter must be near.
I don't know too much about our universe outside of the bounds of our earth, but I do know what a wonderful world ours is and I am so blessed to be safe and happy in it.

Rian said...

DJan, Stephen Hawking is/was an unbelievable life force (IMO). I heard in a movie last night "More Beautiful for Having Been Broken" that "Special Needs" need not refer to the broken victim, but to the rest of us. It isn't them that has the need, but us. We need them. Something many may know, but I hadn't considered this. He lived to be 76 (my age now)... and when I consider all he went through (and still contributed), it makes the aches and pains I have due to age so minor.
And yes, life has certainly changed... even from my birth year of 1945 (end of WW2) to now (Hobble and Web telescopes, etc.)! I wonder at what will be next - although I don't imagine I'll see it (from this earth anyway). Time travel? (Beam me up Scotty!) Trips to outer space (oh, wait, we may have that now), colonies on planets, etc.? As Patti said, it's been a fun ride. Hopefully the next generation (and those to come) will feel the same.

Galen Pearl said...

I was lucky enough to see Stephen Hawking in person. My supervisor and I both cut out from work to go see him speak at a nearby university (great to have a supervisor who also wanted to see him!). What an amazing mind housed in such a broken but tenacious body. I love your reflections on time and aging, and facing death with grace and equanimity.

By the way, since you and I have been communicating about commenting, I thought I would point out that my automatic Google link back won't go to my current blog when I comment here, so I have to use the "name/URL identity to comment, which requires me to type in my name and copy/paste my blog URL. Some extra steps that can be frustrating, but it only takes a moment. Since you were mentioning the wonderful gifts of technology, it reminded me that I don't need to quibble about these small inconveniences when the technology allows me to receive your inspiring posts and to join in the conversation. Thank you for reminding me of that. And thank you for your weekly doses of beauty and inspiration.

Galen Pearl said...

Ha! Joke's on me. I was so busy thinking about how much I like your blog, I forgot to sign in with the name/URL. Too funny.

Elephant's Child said...

We live in an amazing world don't we - and are discovering (some of us are discovering) more all the time. Which is wonderful.

Marianne said...

It amazes me how connected I feel to people I have never met and how much I miss them after they stop blogging or how sad I am when they pass away. I keep links to blogs of people who are gone and whose writing affected me. You do not have to be famous or infamous to be remembered. I love reading both of your blogs, thank you

Betsy said...

I am so grateful for the beautiful earth God has provided us to live on and the galaxies of stars that we can gaze upon in wonder. Creation itself is fascinating to ponder.
Wishing you a beautiful week my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Linda Myers said...

I do miss the spring blooms of the Pacific Northwest. But not enough to leave Arizona for another four weeks! We have wonderful cactus blooms down here right now.

Gigi said...

Technology has evolved so much and so quickly; it's astonishing. Just the changes since I was a child are mind blowing, if you stop to think about it. Now, if some of us humans could evolve just a bit more...but that is another subject for another day.

Have a wonderful, joy-filled week, DJan!

Marie Smith said...

My middle old age feels really old today. Such is aging.

It will be amazing to see the images from the new satellite. I always wonder what the world will be like for today’s children when they are seniors. The technology available then isn’t imaginable now. My father died in 1986 when computers were in their infancy. What would he think of it all today?

We are born into a moment in time and experience the world which evolves around us. One’s life is lived in a moment in history. It is incumbent on us to live that moment to the best of our ability and enjoy. Must get going…

Red said...

You make a great leap from human years to the time of the universe. Hawking was amazing in so many ways. Many others in his condition would have jus given up.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Middle old feels really old today. So many people are suffering with Cancer and old age...one day at a time is all I can do right now. I hope you have a good week, sounds like we will be snowed in again:(

Anvilcloud said...

Thiose are fine Sunday musings to be read on Monday for me. I guess that’s an aspect of time as well. Time is real enough, but it is vague in my head. I don’t perceive the length of my 75 years in a way. But I have flashbacks to some things that can seem as real as that long ago moment.

Rita said...

He was a brilliant man with a great sense of humor about himself.
Yes, I choose happy. :)

Mary said...

I share your love of the cosmos and love to read about it all. I follow a website called Big Think and has has some really wonderful articles. Like you, I’m looking forward to what the James Webb discovers. I find the immenseness and distance of the universe just mind boggling. Our observable universe is 93 billion light years across and there is much more beyond that, that we don’t and will never see.

Glenda Beall said...

Djan, I think we are all feeling the age thing today. My middle old age self has been through the mill lately, both mentally and physically. I wrote about it today on my blog. A friend and fellow writer and blogger wrote a post on how we no longer are relevant as we age in this world because younger people don't want to hear what we have to say. I think you are very relevant and I am trying hard to stay relevant. Your post today is most interesting and enlightening. Thanks for being there for us, your readers.

William Kendall said...

Astronomy has always fascinated me.

John's Island said...

I’ve been interested in astronomy since I was a kid. I finally talked my dad into getting me a telescope when I was about 12. If you were into science stuff when you were a youngster, you might remember the Edmund Scientific Catalog. That thing was full of cool stuff to dream about. And TIME … wow, you are really getting into the good stuff. I typed into Google “is time real” and what a great answer I got … “Time is a prime conflict between relativity and quantum mechanics, measured and malleable in relativity while assumed as background (and not an observable) in quantum mechanics. To many physicists, while we experience time as psychologically real, time is not fundamentally real.” I just get a kick out of how often we are on the same page.

Tabor said...

I saw the movie about Hawkings...a bit romanticized, but also enlightening. I also try to exercise regularly but still wake up with aches and pains and stiffness, which does go away once I start moving about. I still cannot get my mind about something being held in a black hole??

Dee said...

Dear DJan, this posting is inspiring. I'm eager to follow your journey into the realm of time/space/quantum physics. I have two friends--Judy and Rose--who, for years, have been talking to me about what "reality" really is. Whether it is at all. And I find myself often lost in confusion as they share with me their new discoveries of consciousness and alternate universes and realities and time.

Initially I found it all threatening--not sure why. And why both saddened and fearful of what they were telling me. Now, I find myself more open to possibilities. I so look forward to your musings and sharing on this. Peace.