I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Lilacs in full bloom

Sweet smell and blooms

 Lilacs bring such strong memories to me, from many years past, and remembering the strong unforgettable scent of the flowering shrub. It's a good thing the smell is unforgettable, since my smeller now only retains a faint hint of what I once enjoyed in abundance. But it's still there, at least a little. There are so many memories of experiences in the past that have changed in present days.

As a teenager living on an Air Force Base with my family, I didn't have the opportunity to shop in a store, but perused a Sears catalog to pick out my new school clothes each year. I saw a lovely shirtwaist dress that came in lilac flowers with green leaves, and I fell in love with it. My mother ordered it for me, along with some other clothes, but that is the one I remember the most. And once it came, I wore it over and over. The look of lilacs and green like in the above picture bring back memories of those days. It was sleeveless and had a small collar, I remember, and a flowing skirt.

Of course, in those days we also wore full skirts with lots of crinoline petticoats so that we swished prettily as we walked, and which allowed the skirts to fan out and give a glimpse of the petticoats underneath as we sat at our school desks. I have memories of spending long hours washing and treating those petticoats with starch so that they would continue to stand up with wear. Ah, those were the days when I actually felt that my world would crumble if everything in my outfit wasn't just perfect every day. How long has it been since I've even worn any dress or skirt? A very, very long time. But back then, I was quite the fashionista.

These days I care so much more about the water resistance of my jackets, most of which are either used for rain or misty cool conditions. Fashion doesn't even fit into my life anymore. What does fit into my life is waking each day feeling that only the weather will make a difference in what I do with my day. After fifteen years of experiencing retirement from the workplace, from the ritual of getting up every weekday morning and heading to the office, I realize that I have learned a new way of living, and I like it a lot! I decide what I will do with each and every day, not some schedule imposed upon me by others.  and

I have learned that I do need schedules, they make it easier for me to get what I really want out of each day. That, and having a dear partner who shares a life with me that is not imposed from without, but does what makes him happy while I do what makes me happy. I get a lot more exercise than he does, but his days are filled to the brim. We are both so lucky to have found a partner whose desires for happiness coincide. Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, and we acknowledged it, smiled and hugged, and went on about our day. No need for fancy restaurant food or flowers, just enjoying our togetherness. It's not for everybody, but it is perfect for this duo.

Six decades have passed since those halcyon days long ago when I worried about such things as having the correct clothes for school, or petticoats, or any such frivolous activities. I see the kids on the bus sometimes who are heading to school, and most of them are wearing shorts (even when it's cold) and everyone is dressed differently from everyone else. Not so when I was a teenager; you wore the regulation outfit so that you would not stand out. You didn't want to be teased or pointed out that you are not dressed properly. I think the teenage years are when one feels it the strongest, or at least that is my recollection.

I have been watching a delightful limited series on Netflix based on "Bridgerton" characters, and it has dovetailed perfectly into the whole Coronation of the new King of England (which happened yesterday). Although it's based partly on fact, the series also takes a lot of license with what actually occurred in the lives of King George III and Queen Charlotte in the 1800s. I didn't realize that the King was suffering from a malady that meant he was considered mad. Although the story is embellished and changed from reality, it certainly is fascinating to think of what life was like back then. Every society has its norms, just a wee bit different from what it was like six decades ago for me growing up. 

It was pouring in London yesterday during the Coronation, but the streets with filled with those who would not miss the occasion. And it was quite impressive to watch the crowning of King Charles and Queen Camilla. I am reminded of an Emily Dickinson poem that speaks to this time: Springtime in the Northern Hemisphere of our lovely planet, with flowers are sprouting everywhere among the Coronations and the rain.

A little Madness in the Spring
Is wholesome even for the King,
But God be with the Clown –
Who ponders this tremendous scene –
This whole Experiment of Green –
As if it were his own!

If you had the chance to go back in time to another era, where would you go? Sometimes I think it would be lovely to have lived during an earlier century, but then again, it would not be so lovely unless I was a privileged individual. And still I would have to deal with the lack of all the amenities I take for granted: electricity, for one, and modern bathrooms, too. When I consider all of those differences, I think I'll stay right here in the middle of the twenty-first century after all. It's given me so many ways to be grateful for all that I am blessed with, including sitting here in the dark writing on my laptop, communicating with others around our wonderful planet. No, I'll stay here.

In just over an hour from now, my friend John will pick me up and take me in his chariot to breakfast, one that would have been sumptuous in any era, and then later I will join my friend Lily to play in a bowling alley with her. I'm not good at it, but I do enjoy being with friends and trying to stay out of the gutter. I do hope you will have a great Sunday, and that you will remember to look around at all the trappings we have, those of us living today in what once would have been unimaginable luxury. Until we meet again next week, dear friends, I wish you all good things. Be well.

13 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

It seems there is always more to do than time to do it lately. I think it might be because it takes me longer to do things. I have managed to get to your post before 11:00 on this still cloudy Sunday morning.
I can identify with many things in your post: lilacs, spring full skirted dresses, worrying about how I looked, and now not caring so much about style as comfort.
I finally have my exercises done for this morning round, new charts made, a few blogs read, and I will get outside for a t least an hour before the next duty calls.
Have a good week. I'll see you on the trails.

Elephant's Child said...

If I could go back in time, the one thing I wouldn't want to relive would be being a teenager. I am endlessly grateful that 'what will other people think' plays a MUCH less important role in my life these days.
Happy (belated) wedding anniversary dear friend. Enjoy your week.

Rian said...

DJan, I guess I was lucky in that 'what people think' or 'how I dressed' was never important to me. I was never part of the 'in' crowd, but then didn't want to be. It probably made it easier being a teenager. But going to an all girl school and wearing a uniform... may have helped too. Had 2 close friends (as I do now) and was happy with that.
We didn't watch the Coronation... although saw parts of it later. Did watch the Kentucky Derby and was happy with the unexpected winner! If I went back in time, where would I go? Probably would enjoy living on a ranch out west... not too far back though. Life was too difficult back then. I too would miss our modern day amenities (AC, inside bathrooms, and hot running water).

Rita said...

Never been a "what if-er" so I have no desire to go back to any time in my own life let alone in other time periods. I am fascinated in learning about them--but from right here--LOL!

William Kendall said...

Lilacs are probably a week or two away here.

Marie Smith said...

Fashion means nothing to me these days either. Comfort is most important now. I love your anniversary celebration, similar to how we celebrate ours. Have a great week, Jan.

Gigi said...

Happy Anniversary!! Our celebrations are usually pretty low key too. That is, if we remember them!

Red said...

Teen age years are filled with doubt and insecurity of many things. It's a very difficult age for many kids. It's interesting how you start with the insecurity of the young and the peacefulness of older age. I would still like to be more of a recluse.

Anvilcloud said...

I am not sure if fashion exists anywhere anymore, at least not in the sense that it once did. Except, I guess if you’re a kid, you should own a pair of ripped jeans that look old and worn, even if they are new.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What no jeans with holes for you? I cannot believe that raggedy jeans are an IN thing...my daughter some. I like warm in the Winter and cool in the Summer and Crocs with socks and my snowboots with a warm sheep lining:)
I can just see that Lilac bush skirt:) I hated the scratchy crinolines:)

Linda Myers said...

I love to be comfortable in what I wear. I find I have fewer and fewer things in my closet and drawers as I downsize.

Happy anniversary to you two!

Tabor said...

While I might like to go back to the turn of the century when technology was just emerging, I, like you, have no desire to give up many modern amenities. Hubby and I do almost everything together, although lately I like stayng at home a bit more.

Liz Hinds said...

I adore the sent of lilacs - or maybe I should say I used to. My sense of smell which once was my pride has now almost gone. And I am so sad about it - and I'm writing a blog post here when I should be commenting on yours, sorry! The dress sounds lovely.
Retirement is great and congratulations on your anniversary.