I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Old growth trees and more

Two thousand-year-old red cedar

I found a truly inspiring story about this wonderful old growth tree in British Columbia, which is being protected by those who know where it is, in order to keep it from being logged. Just look at the person in the picture (lower left) to get an idea of the size of this tree. For me, it's unimaginable that someone might look at this ancient specimen and only think of acre-feet to be harvested. I thought that Canada was more enlightened than those of us in the US, but I was wrong to think that. Greed crosses borders without anybody being the wiser. But there is an organization in British Columbia, called the Ancient Forest Alliance, that is working hard to protect the remaining old growth forests in and around British Columbia.

Three years ago, the Canadian government passed a law that any old growth trees of a diameter more than 4.6 meters must be protected and nor harvested. But it turns out that this law has been ignored during the time since it was passed. You cannot just replant an old growth tree and wait for it to grow old. We are such ephemeral creatures. we only last for at most a century, and these trees were around long, long ago that in some places they are older than civilization as we know it today. 

I have seen some old growth myself, while hiking with the Senior Trailblazers, but nothing like the size of the ancient trees I've learned about lately. It is truly amazing to think that anything lives that long, and to think that some people don't find these ancient forests worth protecting just boggles my mind. Anyway, there is so much going on around these ancient forests, and I am hoping that the current initiatives to save them will be successful. They are irreplaceable.

I love forests of all kinds, old and young, and I've had to hike through clear-cut areas all around Bellingham, where the forest has been decimated in order to log the valuable trees, and then replanted with new trees. And I have been hiking long enough to see some forests begin to recover, with trees growing from saplings into ones almost as high as me. But they are just babies and won't be available to become lumber for many decades. I know some people think it's silly to love trees, but I am definitely not one of them. Although I am writing about them, I do hope that it will serve only to bring attention to their plight. It's not my intention to awaken anybody's desire to harvest them. So I write this and hope my readers will take into account their incredible value, and perhaps even donate to the cause. 

So it is with trepidation that I even bring them to your attention through this post. While it's important to be cognizant of the need to protect them, it's also important to retain their secrets and keep them from the public eye. Only then will I feel I've helped and not harmed these magnificent creatures. How about you? What's the biggest tree you have ever seen?

* * *

I am feeling pretty good after having caught my first cold since the pandemic began and I started wearing masks. I think I caught it last week while attending the strength training class. We were all fairly close to one another and breathing hard at times. I first felt a scratchiness in my throat, but it wasn't bad, and then I began sneezing and feeling a little under the weather. Within two days, however, all my symptoms were gone, and a covid test told me I didn't have the dreaded virus. Another one confirmed them, and then SG got sick last night with a sore throat. He took the covid test and it came out negative. We have both been vaccinated and boosted, and have gotten our flu shots, so if we do get sick, it's probably not going to land us in the hospital, even at our advanced ages. (Famous last words, eh?)

What I had forgotten is that feeling of being healthy and happy that comes after the cold recedes. I am feeling better than I did before I got sick, and sniffles and congestion are long gone. And it's been less than a week, so I am heartened that it was just a regular old cold. Today is a new day, and I'm looking forward to seeing my friend John, who will drive us to Fairhaven for breakfast, just like we've been doing for years. I like routine and familiarity, but you probably already knew that about me. Writing this Sunday morning post, for instance, has been going on for many years now. This is my 735th Sunday morning post, which translates into an impressive number of years. I've not missed a post, even while I've been traveling. In 2015, I remember writing one propping up in my bed in Istanbul, listening to the call to prayer outside. Also I've written them while visiting my sister in Florida, surrounded by cuddly dogs. It's been awhile since I've been anywhere other than in my own bed, with my dear sweet guy sleeping quietly next to me.

What is my sense of adventure? It's still there, even as an octogenarian. I have put behind me the chills and thrills of skydiving, but I still dream of those days when I climbed outside an airplane, holding on until it was time for me to let go and join the others who jumped with me. I now find chills and thrills by going on a hard hike and climbing to places with cliffs that show what distance I've covered. I am still an adventurer, but my adventures have changed as the decades have passed. Emotionally I am still young and unchanged from the passage through life.

I am running out of time to finish this post. When perusing brainyquote, I found a quote that struck me with its relevance, but I cannot seem to find any way to build the words around it to make it fit. I thought about deleting it, but I won't, because each time I read it, I feel myself resonate with it. Here it is:

If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down. —Ray Bradbury

I can feel myself building my wings every single day that I awake with a new day ahead, with happy moments in my future. That's because I can imagine whatever I want, and hopefully it will all come true. I do hope that the coming weeks will bring many wonderful new adventures in whatever flavor you choose: big or small, but in any event delightful and fulfilling. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things, dear friends.

 

12 comments:

Rita said...

I love that quote by Ray Bradbury! I've done a lot of leaping in my day...just believing that whatever choice I was making was the right thing to do even if it was the scariest & hardest and that, therefore, it would all work out somehow. It always did. My leaping definitely wasn't from planes like yours--lol! Have a wonderful day. :)

Elephant's Child said...

Your wings are strong - and powerful. Fly well dear friend.

Marcia LaRue said...

I have seen the old growth redwoods in N. California many times! We lived in Eureka, so it was a natural thing to see!

Linda Reeder said...

I actually used my intellect to choose my life partner, and it worked out just fine. Some of us are just cerebral.
I have seen many ancient trees. I "collect" them. Giant cottonwood in Oregon, world record spruce on the Oregon coast, ancient cedars on the Washington coast. ancient Doug Fir near Mt Rainier, ancient spruce with hanging gardens in Olympic National Park. And of course, giant redwoods and sequoia in California. They are all treasures.

Rian said...

OMG, DJan, I guess I must be naive as I can't imagine anyone not loving trees... especially those huge old ones. That picture is fantastic. I 'stole' it and kept it to show DH. I may also pin it to my desk wall. Thanks for sharing it. They are definitely irreplaceable. I have never seen any that old, but I have seen some beautiful old oaks in Louisiana.
Sorry about your cold, but glad it wasn't Covid. Our grandson was sick with a cold last week. He tested and it wasn't Covid... and luckily (so far) DH and I didn't catch it (he did wear a mask in the house around us).
As for adventures, I think as we age we still have them... they're just 'different'. And I have to admit that most of my adventures these days come from books. But that's what's great about reading - books can take you anywhere! And blogs from friends can do the same. IMO imagination is a wonderful gift.

Red said...

I like your comments on old growth forest. As a naturalist we say, "they aren't making it any more. What micro organisms are in these trees that haven't been discovered?

gigi-hawaii said...

I could use some cheering up. Glad you and SG are over the cold.

Linda Myers said...

Regarding adventure, I heard a quote twice last week that I'd never heard before. Pay little attention to the religious part:

God does not call the equipped.
He equips the called.

Marie Smith said...

The skydiving shows your spirit perfectly. I love how you embrace adventure at this stage of life. Be prepared and let go…

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad to hear "only colds" were experienced. Yes, save our old growth forests. I went to the Joyce Kilmer Forest here in North Carolina once. It's so wonderful to be with the giants. I would love to visit the ones out west sometime too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Trees, love them, wish we had room to plant some but our Oaks are mighty and surround us with their wonderful shade in the Summer and millions of leaves in the Fall. There are some very old White Pines at Itasca park but nothing the size of your trees. Connie

Tabor said...

Beautiful quote and a reminder that we all must be more adventurous. I also love trees and think that they talk to me, but I fail to understand. I even buy bamboo toilet paper these days to protect trees.