I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, May 12, 2024

A turbulent week

A pink trillium, almost gone

In the middle of this picture is a pink (dying) trillium, captured last Thursday on our hike to Lookout Mountain. They are pretty and white, these three-petaled flowers, until they are on their last legs, and they turn pink, then purple, and after that drop those petals onto the ground, waiting for next year's springtime to rejuvenate the next batch of three-petaled flowers. It takes a minimum of seven years for a trillium plant to finally flower at all, once they begin their journey to reproduce themselves, and each plant has only one flower each year.

It was truly a lovely week hiking in the wilderness this past week. On Tuesday, we went on a five-ish mile hike in the Hundred Acre Woods and over to the Chuckanut Falls overlook, in mild temperatures and in great company. Then, on Thursday, I joined the Senior Trailblazers Happy Wanderers group to hike around at least eight miles on Lookout Mountain. Both hikes did two things for my health: one, some elevation and exercise, and two, wonderful companions to visit with, enjoy and (in some cases) commiserate with. Both nighttime sleeps afterwards allowed me plenty of deep sleep to repair my aging body for yet more exercise in the late springtime environs around town.

I am happy and content in my life, although the world news brings me down if I let myself get too wrapped up in it. I try to keep myself engaged in positive pursuits so I don't lose perspective of all the wonderful moments I can enjoy every day.

And you know what today is? Mother's Day! Although my mother has been gone for more than thirty years, she is still very much present in my daily life. I think of her often and sometimes feel like I can even hear her voice, her laugh. And sometimes I realize it's just me laughing in the same way she did.
I want to say a little something that's long overdue, the disrespect to women has got to be through. To all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends, I wanna offer my love and respect till the end. —Adam Yauch

My mother was a force to be reckoned with. She bore seven children and took care of us all, over the years, and must have read almost every book in every library we lived near. She literally would bring boxes of books home after each visit, and she would then sit down and go through each one, sometimes reading just a little of it (if it wasn't all that interesting) and other times read every single word and absorb every picture. I learned to appreciate how important reading is to one's education.

These days, my reading is mostly on my Kindle, because as my eyes age with macular degeneration, I can only spend a short time reading before words blur and I must stop for awhile. I can read on laptop and computer screens for longer, because the bright light behind the letters seems to help. Even then, I must stop for longer and longer periods of time to let my eyes recover. This is not a complaint, just an observation. I am an octogenarian, after all. The fact that I am still very active and my brain seems to be intact are causes for celebration.

Last week, I discovered a glitch on my other blog. Apparently I have a "corrupt post" that has caused my right sidebar to navigate to the bottom of my posts. I read everything about how to fix it, but so far I am unsuccessful. If you are reading my DJan-ity blog and want to "fix" it for the moment, you can click on the blog's title and the sidebar will magically appear where it's supposed to be. I will get this fixed, but it's not high on my to-do list. If anybody has any ideas, I'm listening. In the meantime, it's just another one of those little nuisances that tend to crop up when you're least expecting it.

And then there is that magnetic storm from the Sun that has caused incredible auroras to be visible much farther south on the continent than usual. I went to my favorite Facebook page, Seeing Bellingham, and marveled over the pictures that many regular readers captured of the last two nights of magnificent auroras. I didn't even try to stay up myself, because I was busy catching up on my sleep! And I figured that others would be up snapping pictures to share; I was right.

My mama and me

And on this wonderful, sunny, beautiful Mother's Day 2024. I can say that I am so happy to be alive right now, relatively healthy and active, and know that without a doubt the world will one day settle down into peace and tranquility. Until that day comes, I will do my best to facilitate it, from my own little corner of the world. And that world radiates out to so many places through this post, into your own little corner of the world, and we can surely feel the love we share. Dear friends, I wish you every good thing and hope to "see" you here again next week. Until then, be well.


12 comments:

Rita said...

Wow! That's a lot of hiking you did this last week. You are an exceptional woman. I'm very glad you are here this Mother's Day, too. I'm also happy to be here today. It's a beautiful, sunny day...warmer than usual for May...and I am going to try not to think about the world issues, either. ;)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Mother's Day DJan! Were you able to see the Northern Lights? I slept through them. Hope you have a wonderful week!

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Mother's Day, DJan.

Linda Reeder said...

After a week of hard work in the garden I am taking it easy today. With the sun shining I intend to just enjoy my garden and being in it. Then there's a Sounders game on TV this afternoon.After that my two adult "kids" will be joining us for a grilled dinner on the patio and Jill is making a rhybarb dessert.
I wish you a lovely day as well.

Marty said...

Now there's something for me to look forward to: hiking in my eighties. You've shamed me out of my chair and into my sneakers for a stroll around my 'hood.
Happy Mother's Day to you.

Anvilcloud said...

Great pic of you and your mother. She was a good looking woman.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you (yet again) for this beautiful inspiring post.

Red said...

You cover a wide range of topics in this post. PEOPLE WHO SPEND TIME OUTDOORS HAVE FAVORITE FLOWERS. For me it's three favorites: tiger lily, prairie crocus and brown eyed Susan. Hang in there with the hiking as long s you can. We don't spend enough time thinking about our parents.

Glenda C. Beall said...

Good post. So glad you can hike and enjoy it. Walking has become difficult for me now but I hope to do more work on that once my shoulder heals enough I can stop PT for it.
I had a visit from a niece I helped raise this past week and so enjoyed our time together. I plan to go down to the farm where I grew up soon. Although I am not driving yet, my niece and my sister will take me down there. Turn off the news. You and I can do nothing but worry about it and that is bad for us.

Marie Smith said...

The world news makes me feel helpless and the only thing which helps is time in nature. That time is magical and gives me encouragement!

Have a wonderful week, Jan.

Rian said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day, DJan! We have been out of town for granddaughter's Texas A&M graduation and Mother's Day. Spent it at our daughter's in the Hill country. Just back and catching up on blogs. Beautiful pic of your mom and you!

tz_garden said...

What a beautiful memory of your mom. Being outdoors long enough to help with good sleep is just about the best. And only taking in small bits of world news at a time.