I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, September 15, 2024

Our Senior Center activities

Me with two other volunteers

Last year, I decided to help at the Senior Center and along with many others, we created an assembly line to pack 1,200 lunches to be distributed the next day, at the Senior Day in the Park annual event. I actually had a really good time, and this week I have decided to join the volunteers at the Senior Center who help serve lunch to dozens of senior citizens who receive a good meal for a donation (or not) every weekday. I will try to schedule a couple of days every week.

Friday was my first day to see if I am interested in doing this on a regular basis. It was different from being on an assembly line, like the one pictured above, but I found out how the process is managed. I felt a little bit like a fish out of water, not knowing where or what to do exactly, but I was mentored by Tom, a fellow volunteer and after a taxing three-hour initiation, I decided that this is going to be my next task: learn how to become part of this team of volunteers and do a really good job. I was on my feet the whole time and working hard, my favorite way to get exercise.

I was really impressed with the coordination and dedication of the volunteers. I learned where everything is stored, and how to help set up the eleven round tables that occupy the lunchroom, and how to keep my hands sanitary (with gloves) and how to make sure that I am not touching any part of the setup that comes into contact with the clientele's hands or mouth. I had to change gloves three times, but I eventually learned the ropes. The seniors come in several times a week, I suspect, for a good meal.

The lunch hour begins at 11:30 and runs until 12:30. The volunteers arrive at 10:45 to get everything set up and ready for the onslaught. Only people who have gone through suitable training handle the food itself, but the rest of us were busy getting everything ready. The large room was transformed from a place for exercise classes to a very well-thought-out place for a lovely lunch. I wish I had taken pictures of the transformation, but I was, well, busy. I helped to bus the tables when one person was finished, so that another patron could sit down and enjoy a spotlessly clean space and nutritious meal.

I was also taught how to help those who need assistance in getting their tray and finding a place to sit. Then I would ask if they wanted coffee or tea (glasses and pitchers of water were already on the tables) and bring that to them. This was the only place where I noticed my eyesight was a hindrance: unless I have full light, I cannot see well enough to pour liquid into cups. I found some places where there was more light, but I still think I'll have to find someone to help me. Otherwise, my vision was quite sufficient for the tasks.

During the lunch hour, I walked between the tables looking for anyone who needed anything, and cleaning up after people were finished. Since these are seniors, there was plenty of variation in ability throughout the room. I feel very happy that I am in good enough shape to assist others, and I found myself feeling very good about the whole day.

People are allowed to stay and visit with others until 1:00pm, but as the time passed, more and more people left and we were able to clean the tables and utensils (like salt and pepper shakers) until everyone was gone and it was time to put everything back. Nothing was left undone, and I have to say it works like a well-oiled machine after years of perfecting the lunch hour routine. One lovely lady (who is perhaps my age, but who knows for sure?) thanked me profusely for my assistance and after everything was wrapping up, she pushed her walker towards me and again thanked me for doing this task. It was the first time I could see what a difference it makes to acknowledge people for their assistance. I still can see her face in my mind's eye, and it makes me smile with happiness to think of her.

In the woods

It is a pretty big change from my usual activities, such as the one in the picture above. It's time for a change of scenery, I guess, but the woods will always be there for me to enjoy for as long as I can continue to hike and walk. It's awfully nice to think of what I have in store for the future, which will entail indoor activities more often, but I will continue to be surrounded by wonderful seniors who inspire and inform. As the days continue to shorten and we move into the fall season, I will be stepping lively in the hallways indoors and the byways of the outdoors, all in the company of my fellow seniors. Life is good!
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. —Edmund Burke
And this morning I am sitting here in the dark, once again, noting that the sun won't rise for another hour or two. My sweet partner sleeps quietly next to me, and I am careful not to wake him as I tap away at the keys, grateful that I can still see well enough to write a post. Grateful for my many blessings, which also include you, my dear virtual family members. My cup runneth over. 

Until we meet again next week, I wish you health and happiness, and a fervent wish that all good things will come your way. Be well.

10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Such a great way to volunteer! You will be trained soon and enjoying every minute. The people are really appreciative by the sound of it! It will be a rewarding way to volunteer.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Way to go!! You found a great place to volunteer! If you have a food shelf in your area that may be a place you would like also, I know my parents spent lots of time volunteering there:)

Rian said...

Volunteering at the Senior Center is a great idea, DJan. I've thought of doing that myself, but have yet to jump in...

Rita said...

sounds like this was a really great place for you to volunteer! Just let them know you can't see well enough to pour the liquids and I'm sure someone else can do that part for you. How exciting! :)

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for volunteering. I get so much more from mine than I am able to give. I do hope you have found yet another niche that is right for you. Have a wonderful week dear friend.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Volunteering!
You are a good source of inspiration to get out and do something for the community.

Gigi said...

What a worthwhile way to spend your time! Have a great week, my friend.

Linda Reeder said...

My mother worked at her Senior Center well into her 80's, well past her ability to do much, but in the last years she could at least load and run the dishwasher.
When you describe being on your feet for four hours a realize that that is something I can no longer do. I think it's wonderful that you can.

Anvilcloud said...

You keep perking along. You're probably older than many whom you are serving.

gigi-hawaii said...

This is all for a worthy cause, and I praise you for it.