I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter 2018

Lovely sunrise
This morning I woke to see if perhaps there would be an Easter sunrise like this one, but it's cloudy and there is not likely to be sunrise service anywhere near us. The sun rises at 6:48am and I'll be looking (that's about an hour from now). I've attended a couple of sunrise services in Colorado, but I've never gotten involved with a congregation since we moved here ten years ago.

Many years ago, when I worked at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, I would take a personal retreat at a nearby convent, the Convent of St. Walburga, during Holy Week. The Benedictine contemplative nuns allowed a small number of women to spend four days there during that time. I don't know how I heard about the convent, because I wasn't involved in a church community at the time, but somehow I found that much-needed experience to allow myself to have nothing to do but pray and contemplate the direction of my life for four whole days. I would get very frazzled and needed someplace to go where I wouldn't hear a phone or be available for work at all. The convent fit the bill perfectly.

I arrived on Wednesday afternoon and settled into the small retreat cabin that I was assigned for the next few days. At first it was strange to have absolutely nothing I had to do and maintain silence, as the nuns did. We retreatants gathered three times a day for meals in a small room off the kitchen. Each of us (I think there were maybe eight or ten) had her own place setting and we would be served by the nuns. We didn't see where the nuns ate, and the only time I was allowed to see them at all was when they went to chapel to sing the liturgical offices, seven times a day (I think).

It was a very small community, and I enjoyed the complete difference from my regular life during that time. On Thursday, the nuns washed the feet of the retreatants, a very profoundly moving service. On Good Friday, the nuns began their withdrawal into prayer, which continued during Saturday as well. And then on Sunday morning, everything was joyful, and I found a small Easter basket outside the door of my cabin, filled with eggs and homemade cookies, a real delight. It's the only Easter basket during my life that I remember with such happiness.

For the following three or four years, I enjoyed the same Easter retreat with the nuns, but then life changed, and the convent stopped providing the service and I had only the wonderful memories of that time in my life. For a brief period, I toyed with the idea of spending every day like the nuns, but I realized that it was not for me. The whole idea of taking a vow of obedience and the rigidity of one's days from sunrise to sunset was enough to deter me. I wouldn't have lasted very long.

Nevertheless, it is a favorite Easter memory from long ago. Today I spend my Sundays taking a day off from my usual exercise, and this Easter I will follow my habitual routine by going off to the coffee shop to join my friends there, and then I'll return home to spend some time transferring the flowers I bought yesterday into pots on the front porch. If the weather allows and it's not raining too much, I'll also start the process of preparing my garden area for planting.

I am reading a very good book by one of my blogging friends, Dee, about her time as a Benedictine nun. She spent more than eight years in a Benedictine convent similar to the one I knew. She recalls in this memoir her life during that time, and it resonates with me. The book is called "Prayer Wasn't Enough" and is available in both electronic and hard copy. I have it on my Kindle and will probably finish it today after I spend some time getting my hands in the dirt. Her book gives me the ability to imagine how I would have fared in that environment.

Today I am as far from that world as I am from my skydiving years. I was an active skydiver for twenty-five years, and it amazes me that it has faded from my consciousness as much as it has. I still follow all the exploits of my still-skydiving friends on Facebook with pleasure and find enjoyment in their achievements. But the strange thing is that looking back, it's with the same detachment that I feel from any need to have a life of prayer and retreat from the outside world.

I keep thinking about that quote from Madeleine L'Engle I left you with last week: "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been." Although I may not lose all those other ages, do I lose all the other lives I've lived? These days they seem no more solid than a dream. Perhaps that's the way it is for everybody, but how can I know?

The interesting thing is how one morphs from one life to another. One day I am a third-grader playing with crayons and learning to spell, and the next I am an old woman sitting in her bed with a laptop, tapping away at the keys and thinking about what the day will bring. And all the lives in between blend together to become the person I am right now, at this instant in time.

And now it's getting to be time for me to wrap this up and start the rest of my Easter Sunday. Tea is gone, partner is sleeping, and I found this quote from Dr. Seuss that will give us something to think about for the coming week:
How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?
Ah, yes, that sums it up nicely. I hope your Easter Sunday is a good one, and that you will not forget all the worlds that encompass your past and future days. Be well until we meet again next week.

23 comments:

Trish MacGregor said...

Beautiful post! Happy Easter, DJan!

Linda Reeder said...

My Easter Sunday ritual in recent years is to go for a walk in the nearby parks, and appreciate all the changes that early spring is bringing. Easter is especially early this year, and That April Fool is bringing us some rain, but the latest updated forecast looks much brighter for this afternoon than the previous forecast of last night. Light rain may not deter me from my morning walk. It is my time of reverie and my honoring of the pagan goddess Eostre.
I am not really a worshiper of anything, but nature comes the closest to being that thing. My Christian family will pray for me.
Jake is in charge of the Easter egg hunt that follows our family Easter dinner at Jill's house. We have a load of stuff to bring with us: twice baked potatoes and key lime pie I made yesterday, the table centerpieces I always contribute, Easter bags for Jill and the kids, candy for the little egg bowls in the dinner table, and of course, my camera to try to capture some of the event. It occurs to me that the photos will look almost exactly like last year. The only thing that changes now is the weather and the height of the grand kids.
Tradition! Or at least the tradition we have established at this stage of our lives.

Rian said...

DJan, I too used to do silent retreats at Monserrat, a retreat house on Lake Lewisville... about 30 minutes from home. It was a 3 day silent retreat where you were basically on your own to walk the grounds, sit by the lake, listen to talks, or go to daily Mass if desired. I did this for about 10 years and loved it. It gave me the One on one experience that I needed (just me and God). What I remember most is the sadness I felt when leaving to go back to the real world. I loved my life, but with a husband, 3 kids, multiple pets, and a full time job, it was hectic and having this time was a special gift I always remember.
And I too plan to read Dee's book. I love the Title, "Prayer Wasn't Enough" - it's perfect.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, A Happy Easter to you. I continue to be impressed with how insightful you are. I love the concept of looking at all those days gone by as lives. It is absolutely true because every single day is different and something changes, even if ever so slightly. And yes, each one of those days formed us into what we are today, at this very moment. Quite a wonderful way of looking at things. It is also so neat the way you wove the time with the nuns into the post. I think my next stop will be the Kindle Store where I’ll add Prayer Wasn’t Enough to my Kindle. Thanks for writing and sharing with us each Sunday morning. Until next time take good care and be well. John

Gigi said...

Happy Easter, DJan! I loved hearing about the times you've spend with the nuns. And that book sounds intriguing.

This week's quote is quite apt.

Have a wonderful week!

Bonnie said...

Enjoy your Easter! Thank you for both of your blogs!

Elephant's Child said...

On this side of the world it is just after 5am as I read your post. In gratitude. Your gentle Sunday posts are always thought provoking and often return to me again and again during the week.
And I too have Dee's book to look forward to. Not a life I could have lived, but one which fascinates me.
I am looking forward to seeing your plants and planting as well.

Tabor said...

Once again a beautiful contemplative post. I spent the week finishing reading "Endurance" by the astronaut, Scott Kelly and then followed that with a re-watching of the movie "Gravity." Both have made me realize how important being conscious and maintaining calm when the rough seas of life toss you about.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Easter! I know a convent wouldn't be a place for me:) I might make it one day of quiet.
I am anxious to see your flowers:)

Marie Smith said...

I don’t think I am suited to the contemplative life. I’d need to talk to people. I can see the need for wuiet contemplation on occasion though.

We are a sum of all the parts or roles we’ve had I guess. I find it so interesting to get to know fellow seniors because you never know what life experiences they’ve had.

Happy Easter, Jan.

Red said...

I like the metaphor you use for the different stages in life we go through. One blog I read this week was on memory. What makes us recall what we do recall? What memories are actually lost? For you the major parts of your life figure prominently in your memories. You put tremendous energy in some of your experiences. These changed your life forever.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

How interesting to learn you did some introspection days at a nunnery. I too will read Dee’s book on my iPad kindle app. Yes time and memories of our days gone by blend to make us what we are now and I sense we in our senior years also speculate about what furue we have yet to live. We are the Elders now. We have a wisdom that comes with our many days. Thanks for sharing yours. I wonder when the concept of Easter baskets came about? I do love that tradition.

Arkansas Patti said...

As I was reading about your retreat, I was going to recommend Dee's book that I am also in the process of reading but it seems you are reading it also. Like you, so far her interesting book has made me realize I could never have lived that life.
It really has been just a long blink from crayons to keyboards hasn't it?
Hope you have had a fine Easter.

Rita said...

I plan to read Dee's book, too. Your retreat sounds wonderful, but I would only be able to handle a short visit myself.

I feel a lot like you do. When I think back over the many different "lives" I have lived they could almost seem like dreams or movies or books I read. But they are mine--those layers of lives--and they have built and formed the me I am today. I'm contented to be me...and was all along through all those incarnations--good and bad. :)

Linda Myers said...

I love your Sunday posts. I can see you with your tea, tapping on the keys of your laptop.

Mary said...

So many good points here. Each stage of life, I've found, fades away in our memory with a few poignant scenes remaining. It's is bittersweet. And I think it depends on overlapping connections that stay or go. Childhood and my teenage years seem like someone else. Then I was married 30 years and my husband passed about 5 years ago and now I have a whole new life and that past is too beginning to fade. Now I enter my next to last stage in life...the still healthy and active, but older and more alone with other widowed or single women friends and I know in time through attrition, that stage will end too and then comes the final one. All the past ones, I've enjoyed and loved, but not this final one. Ha! But there is still time yet. But oh yes how quickly it moves.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, first, of course, thank you for reading "Prayer Wasn't Enough" and for your kind words about it in this posting. I'm glad the book resonated with your Colorado experience.

Saint Walburga was a Benedictine nun in, I believe, Germany, many centuries ago. One of the nuns in the convent where I lived was named after her. The Sister Walburga whom I knew had come over from Germany right before WWI, and she had a kitchen obedience. She was a great cook and fed us so well. Besides that, she had a great sense of humor and when the novices and postulants would come to her kitchen to peel the potatoes for Sunday dinner and help her with other food preparations she would always make us laugh! I so appreciated her. In the memoir I changed all the nuns' names, but she is there.

The life certainly isn't for everyone or even for many "ones." But it is, as it was for you, a life that can become just a few days of absolute contentment and reflection that can inform all the rest of our days. I am so glad that you experienced that retreat for several years.

As to life and its many stages, I feel that there have been in my life--long now--many manifestations of the wholeness that ultimately will become the essence of Dee Ready. All is working out to good. Take care. Have a good week in your kind and gentle way. Peace.

C-ingspots said...

Happy Easter DJan, and Happy Spring! As is usually the case, I enjoyed reading your thoughts today, so much. Interesting this aging and constant changing that we do in our "lives". It really does feel that each life was in many ways, unique to itself. I enjoy my memories of each one so much, but realize that there are many that have slipped from me, for when I reminisce with family members, many times they remember events that I don't, and that always worries me just slightly. For me, my memories are like beautiful jewels that I can pull out whenever I want to admire them. Losing them doesn't bother me, except when I'm reminded that they exist. Funny how that works! The book sounds very good, but I've always been too much of a rebel and a free spirit to mold myself into that kind of life - although I can see many advantages as well. Be well and have a wonderful week my friend.

I loved the Dr. Seuss quote! It rings with truth and I can relate.

Terra said...

I like your thoughts about aging and changing and former pursuits, and how wonderful to spend those Easter days with nuns as you did. Maybe I will find a retreat house and try something similar.

troutbirder said...

There is something about the reflections of memoirs that appeals to me. So I think about it. And writing. I could. But I shouldn't. Then the thought drifts away....

Sally Wessely said...

Thank you for your lovely Easter reflection. I love quotes you had in last week’s post and in this week’s post.

It is strange our live cycle continually, yet while in each cycle when life seems so different from what we knew, experienced, and did before we find that so much of who we are is consistent.

Galen Pearl said...

"Although I may not lose all those other ages, do I lose all the other lives I've lived? These days they seem no more solid than a dream. Perhaps that's the way it is for everybody, but how can I know?" It's that way for me! Who were all those people who lived in this body? Some I barely remember. Others I remember vividly, but it's like remembering someone else, not me. I've never heard anyone describe this quite as perfectly as you just did.

Glenda Beall said...

It seems life doesn't travel in a straight line from childhood to adulthood and old age. It is a journey that takes us in many directions. I often thought I had the most boring life, but looking back I find so many interesting turns and experiences. I remember, vividly, first grade and fourth grade. I feel the pain of Junior High School just as if it were yesterday. But I also feel the joy of caring for my mother and the two of us laughing together. Tucking her in at night, making sure her oxygen cannula was in place and hearing her say, "night,night, I love you."
Now I am almost where my mother was in age and recognize the infirmities she had that I could hardly fathom at the time. Each part of life's journey has a lesson for me. I learned them all, but can't teach them to anyone younger. They have to make their own journey. I love your quotes in this post. Thanks.