I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Living memories

Me and my son Chris in 1962
Lately I've been thinking about all the memories I carry around in my head, a whole lifetime of them. So much has happened to me in my life that I think I've completely forgotten, until something jars an old memory and I think about the many different lives I've lived. I was once long ago the mother of a fine son who gave me endless joy. The young woman in the picture has changed into an old woman, and the baby grew into a man.

So many memories surface when I gaze at old pictures like this one. We were in Puerto Rico, where my first husband, who took the picture, was stationed. It was a sunny day, but then again almost all the days were sunny. I was a happy person, and it shows in the picture. I recognize that blouse from my memories; I sewed it myself, from a pattern. Back then I made a lot of my own clothing, something I haven't even thought of for a long time.

I'm not sure why I've been thinking lately about times past, people long gone, and decades of life lived and forgotten. Perhaps it has something to do with a book I just finished reading: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. In the story, Alice hits her head and loses a decade of her memory. She wakes up and thinks she is twenty-nine and pregnant with her first child, only to discover that she is thirty-nine, has three children and is getting a divorce. The book reminded me of how much we change in ten years, as well as the crucial part memory plays in our current existence.

Then on Friday I went into an ice cream shop while waiting for my yoga class to begin. I indulged in one of my favorite things, ice cream, while sitting next to a young man with his daughter. She is four and very outgoing. I watched her eat an enormous sugary fried fritter while her dad scrolled through his phone. I asked her how old she is and whether she knows her ABCs. Promptly she recited them to me, and it brought back a memory of raising my own child. The three of us started a conversation and I learned not only her age, but that the family recently expanded to include an infant. Dad was taking care of his lively daughter so that Mom could have some quiet time.

Since Chris died without having a child of his own, I will never have grandchildren. I appreciate the stories of them that my fellow bloggers share in their posts, and look at their pictures and remember my own days as a young mother. Sometimes the memory of a smile comes unbidden to my mind and I can almost feel the moment return. The joy of children laughing never stops being a delightful memory. The little girl I met the other day, with her wide-eyed chatter about her new baby brother, gave me a little twinge of regret about lacking grandchildren. But that's silly: the little girl shared her life with me and has given me the gift of remembered childhood. It's everywhere around me. Just because I don't have any grandchildren myself doesn't mean I miss the chance to enjoy the company of young people. And I truly enjoy the pictures and stories about the grandchildren of many of my blogging buddies.

When I think about it, if my son had fathered a child at the same age that I had him, that child would now be grown, too. Great-grandchildren and even great-great grandchildren would be more like it. Wow! How time flies when I'm not paying attention; then something happens to remind me of how long ago it was that I was a young mother myself. That young mother still is a part of me, however long ago it happened. My activities these days don't give me much chance to be around small children.

I have a coffee shop friend, Leo, who was not even a year old when I first met him. We played together in the coffee shop, he let me read to him and we enjoyed each other's company. But Leo grew up, too: now he is almost ten and no longer plays with me but instead sits and reads his own books, sometimes not even acknowledging me other than a polite hello. It makes me a little sad, but when I look at the young man he's becoming, I realize that it is the natural progression of life. I enjoyed the toddler much more than I would enjoy hanging out with the young man he's becoming today.

Instead, I'll hang out with friends my own age, John the farmer and Gene the fisherman. We'll have our devices in front of us and share funny things with each other that we find on Facebook. As I age, they are aging along with me, and the years pass without that much difference. When you're young, change from year to year is much more pronounced. I look forward to being with them several times a week. John will be getting up soon and going off to the coffee shop. He's the first to arrive. On Sunday mornings, we share a bagel, something I want but not the whole thing. He will have already had one himself, so he gets three half bagels and I get one, which is perfect for both of us. And a quote from Helen Keller to wrap up this post:
So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good. 
Yes, life is good. I have so many memories to cherish, and I'm glad I can share them with you, my dear reader. It's almost time for me to get up and start the rest of my Sunday. Partner is still sleeping next to me, and I can feel the growing desire to get off to visit my friends. I hope you will be here again next week, when I'll sit with my laptop and think about a lovely week ahead for us. Be well until then.

17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

You sound peaceful Jan which is a wonderful way to be, i strive for it. It hasn’t been peaceful here for a few months now.the stress of it is taking a toll. At least we can get out and enjoy the outdoors now.

Take care my peaceful friend. Have a great week.

Linda Reeder said...

You do sound peaceful, which is good for me to hear this morning. I just finished writing a post on a special garden visit, that I will publish tomorrow, that also left me feeling peaceful.
Later today Tom and I will begin hosting our grandchildren as their mother goes to Colorado to be with her former sister-in-law as she under goes another cancer treatment. We will have the kids through Thursday morning. That means getting up early to get them to school, picking them up after school and activities, delivering them to other activities, and of course feeding them and making sure they are doing what they need to do. As teens now, they are much less interested in talking with Grandma, and as you said, not as much fun as little ones are. But it should be a good experience for Tom and me, and hopefully good enough for them.
And then we get to give them back! We can also appreciate what Jill does all of the time, with only one of her.

Gigi said...

That quote really resonated with me today. I think I need to print it out to remind myself when I get down about the losses I've had.

Toddlers are SO much fun - but exhausting, I remember. Have a wonderful week, my friend!

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another beautiful and poignant post.
No grandchildren here either. Which part of me mourns, despite being privileged enough to share with others. My life is full.
I hope the rest of your week is filled with love, laughter and precious friendships.

Hilary said...

I think it's our age.....because I do it, too. I remember people from long ago, people that are gone, times that have disappeared.......some days it seems too much to bear.

Arkansas Patti said...

Wonderful post and loved the picture. Yes, that quote is so true and I have many souls living in my memory that keep my life good.
I find that sad about Leo and I am sorry that sunny little face we all grew to know has grown into more distant friend. Sigh.
That book has an intriguing premise. I will look it up. Thanks.

Rian said...

Love the pic of you and Chris. It makes me wonder what the next 10 years will bring. Up until now (in our 70's), it didn't matter much... but the next 10 years may matter a lot.

But memories are the gift of old age. They bring us joy. Some are bitter-sweet, but even those are good.

Children and grandchildren are a joy. I thank God for mine every day. They can wear you down and wear you out, but it's still good. And it is the natural progression of things that as children grow up, they turn to other things... but if you remain constant, they will turn back to you as time goes on. Don't give up on Leo.

We need friends of every age... not just our own. It's one of the things that puts me off about retirement villages. I like being around youth... being around old people (as much as we all have in common) can sometimes get depressing.

I love sharing your thoughts, DJan. I even love reading the comments and sharing everyone's thoughts. Despite all the troubles in the world, it's still a great time to be alive.
Life is good... and I truly believe that most people are too.

Red said...

I enjoy memories of my life experience. You remind me about my children who are almost 50. I sometimes wonder how selective our memory is. How much do we actually remember? Yes, there are pleasant triggers like photos. I know I've lost memories or never made some memories when My wife and I talk about the past. But then how accurate are her memories.?

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a beautiful photo! I am so glad it brought back good memories for you.
I enjoy spending time with smaller children too..like our Mikey...but we don't see him very often. Teenagers and Tweens are too busy to spend much time talking anymore they always have their nose in a device:) I hope you have a wonderful week! :)

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

You look so lovely in your self sriched blouse. Thanks for reminding me of my many years of sewing. I loved it a lot. Memories are on my mind too. I just pray my mind remains well. Watching others struggle with memoeies and get confused is sad ,

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you for this thoughtful reminisce about your life as a young mother and your experiences with children since moving to Bellingham. the quote from Helen Keller spoke to me so deeply because I, like you, have such good memories of all the friends and family members who have blessed my life. We have both been given so much love. Peace.

Anonymous said...

That's a nice photo of you and Chris. I think you have a good life, DJan. Wishing you continued joy and happiness.

Rita said...

I never expected any grandkids at all and am now I am doubly blessed! What a surprise!

Looking back, there are times that in only a few months I was living a new life and the past seemed unreal. A life of layers and chapters--like the worn pages of a book. Aren't we lucky to have lived so long--to have covered so much ground and sampled so much that life has to offer?

I have a picture of myself holding Dagan as a drooling baby--precious and surreal. Almost like seeing pictures of myself as a baby but, with me and Dagan, I do remember being there--LOL!

Have a fabulous week! :)

John's Island said...

Hello DJan, I thoroughly enjoyed this post when reading it yesterday and was just about to leave a comment when something interrupted me. Since that time I’ve continued to come back to one key phrase, when you were telling us about What Alice Forgot, “the crucial part memory plays in our current existence.” That is such a powerful thought! For example, having a great friend from youth that took the opposite road politically as life has gone by and now causes me agony about how to communicate with him. It’s the memory that causes the agony. What if we could simply erase that? And what if I, like Alice, hit my head and forgot all about that time of life. This is just fascinating to think about. Thank you for sharing this excellent post, as always, and also for leaving such encouraging comments on my blog … I sure appreciate them! John PS I’m putting What Alice Forgot on my Kindle!

Trish MacGregor said...

A beautiful post!

Laurie Larson-Doornbos said...

Oh my word. Just lovely. I, too, have forgotten how much I've experienced ...
I am so honored to read your posts, Djan!

Sally Wessely said...

I looked at the photo of you and Chris and the blouse you made from a pattern and thought how we would have probably connected in much the same way as young women as we have as old women. I too sewed flowered blouses from patterns and held my babies in the sunshine. Those days do seem so long ago, but they come back to bring us joy and sadness both, but mostly I appreciate that we have those memories and they are a part of us. Thank you for reminding me.

Love to you as you go about your week.