I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, January 17, 2021

The lost year

Me and Lily at the 2019 Tulip Festival

Yesterday I rummaged through my photos looking for something to write about this morning, for my usual Sunday morning post. I loved looking at the tulips during our last visit to the Tulip Festival. Where are the ones from last year, I wondered. And then I remembered there was no festival last year, because of the pandemic. You know, the one that is still raging through the country?

Then I began to wonder whether there will be another lost year, another year when we will not be able to visit with each other, when there will not be a beautiful and delightful riot of colors and flower designs in the Skagit Valley. That is just one thing that I missed last year, but being able to hang out and have coffee with my friend Lily (among others) is another favorite activity I've really missed. Although we've gotten together maybe half a dozen times during the past year, it's nothing compared to our usual visits. I miss her so much.

And here we are, beginning the last week of the Trump presidency, with our nation's capitol looking like a war zone, with more than 20,000 National Guard troops garrisoned inside its halls. I never would have believed we could be here, in this strange limbo, unable to travel far from home because of an out-of-control virus, and being unable to count on our country being able to inaugurate the new president without such awful precautions. What happened to my country? I am in mourning for what was and what might never be again.

Will there be any sort of return to normal once the vaccine is distributed to most of us? Of course, this is not only happening in America, but all over the world. I watch the news and look for slivers of light in the darkness. The UK is in strict lockdown right now, as is our neighbor to the north, Canada. The border is still closed and will be for the foreseeable future. In fact, I'm wondering if we will ever be back to a semblance of normal times, or is this what the world will look like this time next year? I'm hoping not, I'm truly hoping that we will be hanging out in our local coffee shop, and going out to dinner with friends, and even going to movies together. 

As I moan over how much has changed, I also must stop and take stock of what has not changed, what has actually become better than before. For one, our national carbon emissions, and those across the world, have fallen to levels not seen for decades. That's a good thing, and I hope we can find a way to keep them down. I know I sure don't drive as much as I did before, and much of the world's economic activity has slowed because of the pandemic. If the new president is able to enact much of his agenda, we might have a much better country than before. But that will be a big lift, with everything that has happened and with extremists still threatening more mayhem and destruction. I am hopeful, but also fearful of the immediate future. 

It's been almost a year since we entered lockdown here in Washington state, and nobody would have believed that the virus would still be rampaging out of control like it is today. It's not only here, but most countries are in worse economic shape than at the beginning of the pandemic. The lost year, indeed. I am old and have seen much change during my years, but this is unique and a situation I would not have believed could exist here today. When I write next week, we will hopefully have begun a new era, the Biden era, and that his efforts to get all Americans vaccinated and the virus under control will have begun. I am hopeful, but also anxious about it all. You probably are, too, no matter where in the country, or in the world, you live.

We have a few more months to go before it will be decided whether there will be another year without a Tulip Festival or not. It's mid-January, and after a mild fall and winter so far, we are beginning to see signs of the light returning and spring flowers emerging from the ground. Whatever else happens, the seasons keep their inevitable turning from one to the next, a good reminder that change is inevitable and to be rejoiced in. Soon we will reach Groundhog Day, February 2, the marker between the winter solstice and the spring equinox here in the Northern Hemisphere. Then there will be more light in the sky, and the natural world will respond with lots of new growth, and a new and hopeful time will expand from the darkness we are experiencing today. It's the way the world has always been, and will remain long after we are gone. One thing I know for sure: nothing stays the same forever, and if it looks like we are in terrible trouble in the world today, it will evolve and change.

When I think about how much my life has changed in the past year, I realize that I have adapted in some ways quite well. Although I no longer can hike with my Senior Trailblazers every Thursday, I am able to hike with my friend Melanie and one or two others, keeping our distance outdoors, staying masked when we encounter other people, and spending time with others who are willing to take the necessary precautions with the pandemic. There is a new coronavirus variant that started in the UK and has come here, nobody knows how much, but I saw a news report yesterday that it will probably become the dominant strain in the US by March. It's more contagious than the original version, but apparently no more deadly and can be transmitted with smaller amounts of the virus and in a shorter period of time. Fortunately, the vaccines they are rolling out seem to be just as capable of keeping us from getting infected from the new virus. I can hardly wait for my own vaccine dose to become available.

Vaccines and antibiotics have made many infectious diseases a thing of the past; we've come to expect that public health and modern science can conquer all microbes. But nature is a formidable adversary. —Tom Frieden

I feel optimistic that the coming year will bring many happy moments for us all, and that the worst of the pandemic is behind us. I'm hopeful that I will once again be able to tiptoe among the tulips with my dear friend Lily, and that the world will once again be free of this virus. And I am hopeful that I will once again be able to travel to visit my sister in Florida, and that the political situation in my country will heal and be even better and more stable than before. If it's possible to make a difference through an attitude of gratitude, well then, I'm determined to make a difference that way. With the vaccine against this virus in my arm, and with my mask firmly on my face, I'm going to march forward into the future with love and hope filling my heart.

And with that, dear friends, I will leave you once again with hope for better days ahead, and with certainty that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Until we meet again, I wish you all good things. My dear partner still sleeps next to me, even though I'm later than normal today, I'm feeling happy to start the rest of my Sunday. Be well.

23 comments:

Marty said...

Good morning to you, DJan. Thanks for the picture you've left in my mind of a sea of tulips to combat these dark days.

gigi-hawaii said...

It is neat that Lily is a flower name and tipping through the tulips is appropriate for her. Lol. Hope you do get to see your sister in Florida this year.

Betsy said...

Profound thoughts this morning as we all try to make sense of the things that are happening ourside our doors. Who would have thought this in the USA? Not me.
I pray for peace to return, the virus to be suppressed, the vaccines to roll out in a more orderly fashion and for God to bless our country once again.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

ApacheDug said...

I think (and I am not trying to be funny) that my new Sunday mantra will be “Eye on the Edge... Eye on the Edge...” as I always feel a calmness in my center when reading your weekend entries, DJan. Gosh I loved all those tulips surrounding you & Lily, what a great photo! I know this pandemic has been difficult for people like yourself (who lead such active lives) but it’s terrific how you seem to take it all in stride. Anyway, I look back at not just the past year being the lost year, but the past 4 years. How in the world did the United States allow one man to inflict the damage he did? I don’t blame him for this awful virus, or his lack in controlling it. But I sure do for everything else, including that Civil War re-enactment in the Capitol building right now. I think it’s awful, all the concessions Joe Biden has had to make for his inauguration because of dangers like Covid & Trump extremists. Anyway, I don’t mean to go there—I’m just happy that there was enough of us in our right minds to elect Joe, and that modern, progressive women like yourself finally—FINALLY—see a woman vice president, at least. Please forgive my windy ramble and I’ll be thinking of you this week, and just think—when your next ‘Edge’ column is posted, we’ll have a REAL PRESIDENT IN WASHINGTON. Take care and have a good & positive week ahead.

Rian said...

"I am hopeful, but also fearful of the immediate future." I think this echoes my sentiments exactly. DJan, IMO you have a good concept on how things are today and how (I hope) most of us feel about what is going on in the world today. It is a strange combination of feelings; hopeful, fearful, and angry... hopeful that people will want to come together and lessen this division, fearful of what the future holds is this doesn't happen, and angry at the extremists who want violence and destruction. And possibly I feel a bit 'helpless'... outside of voting, avoiding watching the news, and taking myself off Facebook (so I don't have to read all the toxic rhetoric), it seems like all we can do is sit and wait... and hope that our democracy is strong enough to heal itself.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I feel so sorry for those Service Men sleeping on the floor...too close together...certainly not six feet apart...why could they not have cots? Where do they shower?? Are they eating those horrid MREs?? What a mess for sure. I am certain there will be protests just like there were four years ago...all the protest crap divides the nation more than ever.

On the positive side Far Guy has an appt for his Vaccination but we have to drive 100 miles for it...keeping my fingers crossed that the roads are good. We are happy at home, it is the new Normal I guess...I don't see much changing for us after we both get the vaccination. Hermit life agrees with us. :)

Anvilcloud said...

I guess we'll have to keep plodding along. I don't expect to see much light at the end of the tunnel until the fall if not longer. Let's hope once the vaccines get into high gear that they really do get into high gear.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that you started your day hopeful and happy - long may it continue. For you and for the world.
Our Tulip Festival was not cancelled precisely last year but certainly changed. The jury is still out on what it will look like this year.
I watch the news from your side of the world filled with anxiety - and send my hopes and wishes to add to yours.

Linda Reeder said...

When we think back over history with its plague's and pestilence, I realize how impatient modern man has become. We are not used to waiting for a fix, but this time we might have too. I don't expect enough herd immunity by tulip time, but with safety limitations we just might get to tip toe through the tulips in April.
It was announced yesterday that the Blue Angels are planning a return to Seattle for SeaFair this year in early August. Will that happen? Will big crowds be allowed outside by then???
We will just have to wait and see, and be patient, and continue to be careful. After most of a year already, we can't blow it now.

Gigi said...

Last January NONE of us could have predicted that we be in this position a year later. But here we are!

I'm ready for next week to hurry up and happen. Hopefully, it will be a peaceful one. Again, NONE of us would have expected the violence in the Capitol. What disturbed me the most was how many people felt that was the way to react. I suppose the antidote to that kind of hate and rage...well, I don't know.

I'm hoping that by sending gratitude and love into the universe is the answer.

Have a peaceful week, my friend. And I hope you are vaccinated soon!

Marie Smith said...

I am sad much of the time but it is common for me anyway this time of year. The pandemic hasn’t helped. I keep plugging at hope for the future and sometimes it helps. I pray that we will come through this pandemic this year, Jan.

Best wishes to the in-coming president. It looks like he has great people to advise him which says a lot about who he is too.

Take care.

Red said...

I like the way you bring in how the seasons have not changed. Many other things have changed in our life. How many of these changes will be permanent? How many things will change that we don't even know about now. With Biden , I don't think there will be many improvements. The problem is too big. However, I'm hopeful that it will not get worse. Enjoy your week. the days are getting longer and warmer!

Arkansas Patti said...

When this all started almost a year ago I can remember thinking that we might have to be very careful for a couple of months at least. Now we are approaching a year and at my age, I really hate losing any time.
Your phrase "I am hopeful, but also fearful of the immediate future" summed it up for me also. Right now we need to badly to just get through the next few days with no more violence. Then maybe we can move forward. Stay safe and well.

Galen Pearl said...

I just read today's post as well as last Sunday's. I am sending you encouragement and support as you enter this year of "uncovering." I think you will find it liberating, although I would expect some of it to be painful. And yes, what kind of year will 2021 turn out to be? I think about the places and peoples in the world, now and in history, who lived through prolonged periods of devastating challenges. A year ago we did not realize the seriousness or length of time of this pandemic. We expected a sprint and found ourselves running a marathon. So what can we do? Stay connected. That is what your blog does, and I'm grateful for it.

Glenda Beall said...

DJan, it is hard to realize that we had Americans storm our center of government and realize there is so much hate among those people. I have hope that Joe Biden will help to heal this divide, but we all know that the forces behind these hate groups will still be out there spreading lies and anger among those who are not happy with their state in life.
I will get my vaccine on Jan 25 and will be so happy to get that process started. We had an outbreak in our county recently when the Care Center had about 80 infections among residents and staff. Thanks for your post that is hopeful and inspiring.

Rita said...

I think it will take a good year or more for us to start to see a real change after the vaccines get around more. Going to take a long time to get to herd immunity, as they call it. I have regained my patience and optimism for positive change in the long run. But, like you, I'm leery of the immediate future. We'll get through this all somehow. I keep reminding myself that we made it through 2020. Humanity has survived a lot of terrible and disastrous events when you look back. I am hopeful we shall get through this, too. :)

John's Island said...

Hello DJan, I get a kick out of reading Eye and all the comments before writing my own. As I was reading your post I kept thinking how your life experience and my own have been so similar. The details are different, of course, but the overarching feelings have been the same. Then, I enjoy reading the comments and noticing the reactions to the post. In addition, being a long-time follower of Eye, we basically see the same people leave comments, week after week. In a way, we get to know them and how they might be expected to react. In recent months, perhaps due to the pandemic, I’ve been stepping back and trying to get an overview of how social media is affecting everything, with special attention to my own perceptions. January 6 is being called a “day that will live in infamy” alongside December 7. I think I can be confident in saying, without social media there would not have been an assault on the Capitol as there was on January 6. So, you see, I’m having fun here just reflecting on life as it exists today. And Eye on the Edge was the spark. Thank you, DJan. Have a good week, take care, and be safe.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm feeling a bit hopeful this morning too...but there's a caution to it. That's because I've added and subtracted so many activities to my life in the last year...most of which are for improved health. Have a great week!

Linda Myers said...

It's been quite a year, and I, for one, am looking forward to the possibilities of 2021. I've thought for about 20 years that there would be a revolution in my lifetime, and here we are.

You know the old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times"? As a dyed-in-the-wool optimist, I'm hopeful we will come through this as a better world.

Tabor said...

Sadly I do not think this next year will be filled with much more freedom. We will have to accept the gray days and be patient as there will be better times ahead, just not soon!!

Dee said...

Dear DJan, I'm trying to live in the present moment. I do not do this well, but it is worth the effort. If 2020 taught me anything, it was that. So I'm trying not to think too much about the future. I am, like you, concentrating on finding that for which I can be grateful. And truly I have been such a fortunate human being all my life that I have bushels and heaps and mountains and valleys for which to be grateful. And if, at times, I find myself in a turmoil of dismay about what has happened and is happening in our country, then I try to think of other times when as Eliot said, "the center" did not hold. I think often of Kent State and the students who died and the national guard. That all happened when I was in grad school and I remember the turmoil and the rhetoric and the fear of that time. And then I let go and say my Meniere's mantra: "And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceedingly well." That belief comforts me. Peace.

William Kendall said...

I have to admit, I'm exhausted of Covid. I want something resembling normal back.

Margaret said...

I think we'll end up at a hybrid isolation/normal for a while; it will take years to get back to what used to be normal. (if we ever do go completely back which may be by design) I would love to travel again, see my daughters and grandson and spend more time socializing. My world has gotten so small, and yet in a strange way, also precious.