I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 13, 2023

Keeping my head above water

Beloved old favorite, the maidenhair fern

I am quite stunned by what has happened to a place that I always thought of as Paradise: Hawaii. Although I've never been, I know several bloggers who live and make their homes there, and also some friends from the islands who have family there too. It brings me to tears every time I turn on the news and learn about the incredible loss of life in Lahaina. If more than ninety people have died, then the number of nonhuman creatures that have perished must be enormous, too. I looked at pictures of the beautiful 150-year-old banyan tree that is damaged but hopefully will survive, while just about every single house in the town of Lahaina is simply gone.
That tree is just amazing, even now. From an article in the Insider: 
To understand why the banyan is so special to residents, it's important to grasp the scope of the tree. Its 16 trunks stretch over almost an acre. Green leaves and branches reach over 60 feet in the air, offering dappled shade for the park below.

Well, the park is gone, the building that sat in front of it (the old courthouse) is now nothing but a shell. Everywhere you look, only burned-out cars and flattened homes are all you see. For a town that has 12,000 residents (or did), it is heartbreaking to contemplate. How can they rebuild and, if so, how long will it take? I really hope I live long enough to see it rise back up, like a phoenix. And most of all, I hope that some part of the tree will be saved, even if much of it dies, and that it, too, will rise up to give hope to all who mourn their losses.

 The banyan tree is a rather unique tree. Did you know it is a fig tree? I found this information about it:

A banyan, frequently written “banian,” is a type of fig that grows auxiliary trunks from accidental prop roots, enabling the tree to grow endlessly. It sets banyans apart from other trees with a strangling habit that emerges from their seed in a crack. The term “banyan” is frequently used to refer exclusively to Ficus benghalensis, also known as the “Indian banyan,” which is the national tree of India. However, it has also been used systematically to refer to the subgenus Urostigma (housing.com).

The Banyan represents growth, strength, and self-awareness through reflection. meditation, and a quieting of one's mind. It is said that Buddha found enlightenment after sitting under the Banyan tree for seven days. In Hinduism, the leaf of the Banyan tree is said to be the resting place for the god Krishna. So it's a very sacred tree to many people. And now it is a symbol for the people living in Maui for resilience in the face of tragedy. I really hope this symbol of hope survives.

We here in the Pacific Northwest are just getting ready to face several days of hot weather. We have been spared the awful heat that most of the country, indeed most of the Northern Hemisphere, has endured during the past months. Summer isn't fun when you cannot even go for a walk without suffering. But then again, I never found summer to be easy, since I wilt when the temperature gets above 80°F. Yesterday I walked from the coffee shop with my new pal Steve, and we went east on a trail that was mostly new to me. We covered five-and-a-half miles in sunny conditions, but it was still cool. We ended up back at the Farmers' Market, and I had another Shave Ice, a staple of Hawaiian culture. Steve will be going there in a couple of weeks to celebrate his mother's ninetieth birthday. She lives on the eastern side of Maui and has not been affected by the fires.

The last few weeks I have struggled to find something positive to write about on this Sunday post. Strangely, it's been fourteen years that I've been writing, and I've not yet run out of topics, but lately it's been harder to find uplifting things, and I don't think it's just me. The entire world seems on the brink of some major catastrophe, and everywhere I look there are grumpy or anxious faces, not many spontaneous smiles. Nope, this is a particularly tough time we're going through, I think. It certainly helps to stay away from the news, but I want to know what's happening and not pretend everything is fine. I hope this period passes without anything serious happening in my neck of the woods, although that seems selfish. Perhaps the feeling I have is appropriate, and unbridled happiness is not. I am indeed struggling.

When I read my virtual family's posts, it seems I am not alone in this, because several of you have told me of your own difficulties, and I empathize. But I especially feel good when I go for a "walk" through the lovely surroundings that many of you have, and I commiserate when you talk about coping with the heat. We are all in this together, and frankly, it helps to know I am not alone when going through unsettled times. I picture a time in the near future when I will be filled with joy and happiness, just for being alive and still moderately healthy. That means I won't go into my own bodily ills, since the ones I have are pretty mild, compared to what others are going through.

Another Rose Garden beauty

Today I will go for a walk in the neighborhood, and I'll stop to smell the roses once again, because they always bring a smile to my face. I'm usually alone in the Rose Garden, but I welcome all others who decide it's a good idea to stop and smell them, take in their beauty, and share the loveliness. It's a much better thing to do than to sit around and mope. 

Well, dear friends, I fear I haven't done a very good job this morning, but it is what it is. I will enjoy going to breakfast with my friend John, come home and visit with my dear partner (who still sleeps next to me at the moment), and finding the peace that eludes me at the moment but still exists. Some words of wisdom from one who knew that well.

Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye. —Helen Keller

And with that, I will sign off on this sunny and warm Sunday, giving you a virtual hug, and a pat on the back. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things.

 

15 comments:

Marcia LaRue said...

Sadly, there are now 93 deaths and that count will probably continue to grow!
The heat, the threat regarding Trump is unsettling to so many of us; the up-coming election in 2024 is also worrisome to so many because Thing 45 is still in the picture there, as well!
Yes, the News is disheartening, but you can't live at this time with your head buried ... we have to stay aware of what's going on!
Plan to Vote 🗳️ blue🔵!

ApacheDug said...

DJan, I'm sorry (but not surprised) you feel overwhelmed with the recent tragedy in Hawaii. This week's news about it has felt so surreal. I honestly don't know what to say about it, as the more I learned of Lahaina, the more heartbreaking it became. I think that wondrous banyan tree is in a lot of hearts and minds right now. Anyway, I always look forward to your Sunday thoughts and yours this week are just fine. You're honest, caring & hopeful. Sure am glad you found a new friend in Steve and don't wilt this week. :^)

Rian said...

DJan, like everything else in life, we try to find balance. And that goes for being aware of what is going on in the world without dwelling on it disproportionately and filling us with worry and anxiety. Each of us must find our own balance. The thought alone of what has happened in Maui is devastating. This morning was the first time in weeks that I've watched the news... and that was 'Face the Nation' so I could be more aware of what was happening in Maui. I've never been, but have been to Oahu and fell in love with the place... and our kids have been to Lahaina and can't believe it is gone. It's pretty certain the death toll will continue to climb. Unbelievable. The fact that the Banyan tree survived is also hard to believe, yet somehow hopeful.

Rita said...

I hear you. I don't want to have my head in the sand, either, but lately just dipping your toe in the news is actually painful. Thank goodness we are complex creatures that can experience sorrow and joy at the same time. Enjoy the roses and do not feel guilty. They are just as real as the fire...and the banyan tree.

Elephant's Child said...

I hear you. Watching,listening to the news is incredibly painful. I ration my exposure. And make a point of seeking out beauty (like your maidenhair fern and the rose garden) as a partial antidote.
Stay well dear friend. And stay as cool as you can.

Marie Smith said...

It is hard to see what’s going on in the world and not get depressed. Eastern Canada hasn’t escaped floods and fire this year. Nova Scotia, our neighbour to the south has been hard hit the last several months. I escape to nature, but it is threatened along with us. I fear for every creature I see, every tree and wildflower. I will focus on the here and now and enjoy what is, in spite of the intrusion of the fear for our world in general.

Anvilcloud said...

We've been so wrapped up in our onw problems here that we are only dimly aware of what is going on elsewhere. We have improved a lot in the last week, thank goodness.

Gigi said...

It is easy to give in to the despair looking at all the bad things happening around the world; just this morning as I was skimming the local paper (just dipping in and out - otherwise I'd quickly be overwhelmed) I started to notice how it was affecting me. But, taking a cue from you, I started to look for things that bring me joy - like your rose...

Sending hugs and much love from the East Coast. xo

Linda Reeder said...

We went on our garden tour excursion to Vashon Island and are now back home listening to the news, finishing the Sunday paper, and relaxing. We took the Sunday Seattle Times with us to read while waiting for and riding the ferry. Political news is disturbing. The Maui disaster is heart breaking. My garden touring was sometimes arduous but there was amazing beauty. And that's the way of it, the good mixed with the bad. Thankfully here in the PNW we have been very fortunate with an extra helping of good, so far.
Be of good cheer. It's the small pleasantries that sustain us.

Red said...

The Maui fire is unbelievable. We had our fire in Ft. MacMurray a few years ago. We do have lots to care about at this time. there are too many very large problems brewing at this time. I don't have to make a list, You know them. I'm not sure which of these problems is the worst.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Some days it is very hard to step to the sunny side of the street. I am thankful for the cooler temperatures here now and some rain and for AC when it gets too hot! AND blog friends:)

Betsy said...

It is difficult to watch the news these days. We've been to Maui three times in the past few years and Lahaina was a special place for us. Two years ago I bought Christmas ornaments made by the local elementary students. It was at a craft show held under the Banyan tree. That tree was wonderful. Each trip we took a photo of ourselves sitting under it. I actually cried when I saw the photos of it. But...at church this morning a good friend told us that he talked to his aunt who lives on Maui yesterday and she told him that the tree is already showing possible signs of recovery. That would be such a wonderful sign of hope to the Hawaiian people. My heart just breaks for them. All of the special places we visited over and over again when we returned to Maui are now gone. How much worse for the people who made Lahaina their home over multiple generations.
I keep my hope in the Lord and that keeps me sane on these days of bad news everywhere.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Prayers to the people of Maui

Happy 90th Birthday to Steve's Mother!

The world will feel better to me when a good candidate enters the next presidential race. One who doesn't have baggage that they in many ways, pack to excess all on their own. I think many folks don't realize how very depressing it is that so many support a person that is proven to be unworthy.

Linda Myers said...

Yes, it is what it is. I am still an optimist, though I wonder why so many people are not playing nicely in the sandbox together.

Glenda Beall said...

I, too, have such pain when watching what happened in Hawaii. I have been there a couple of times and loved it. So sad. I take the news in small doses because as a highly sensitive person, I have to protect myself and not subject myself to the horrors I can do nothing about.