I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Wishing for peace and love everywhere

Hikers with Boundary Peaks on the horizon

I didn't go on the hike last Thursday, but Julie (who did) took this lovely picture of the Boundary Way peaks, with a couple hikers in front. I'm not sure who they are, since I wasn't there, but I do recognize the peaks from my own hike there many years ago. While we change and grow a little older every day, the mountains look the same for many millennia. These peaks form the boundary between Canada and the United States on its northern border. I enjoyed hearing about their hike, and I had a shorter one of my own.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. —Jack Layton

 Yes, let's do that: can we be loving, hopeful and optimistic? I believe we can, if we just set our minds to it. Nothing is gained by wishing things could be different than they are. Realism might be uncomfortable, but it's not useful to sit around and let yourself despair. I admit to having fallen into that state now and then when I look at the world's woes. But I'm going to change that.

It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be. —Isaac Asimov

Although there is plenty of vitriol to focus on, there is also plenty of altruism in the hearts of those around us, as well as in ourselves. Love is stronger than hate, and it sure feels better to be in love than to be angry and bitter about life. We do get to choose where we focus our intention. Plus, although it seems impossible to imagine when we're feeling down, this too shall pass. This moment, this sadness, everything that makes us feel bad will change, just like everything else in life. Nothing stays the same. Now that might not help you feel better in the moment, but I have to admit that it does help me. I have a few "happiness tricks" that I deploy when necessary and I'll share them with you.

  • Hang Out With Smiling People.
  • Be a Smiling Person Yourself.
Who would think that smiling would be able to change one's mood? I was surprised to learn how effective it is. And it's easy to try: just paste a smile on your face and watch how other people react to you as you walk by. Smiles are contagious, much like a virus, but a benevolent one. Grumpiness is also contagious, I've learned, so I try to stay away from grouchy people when I'm feeling down.
  • Do Something Nice for Someone Else.
  • Volunteer for a Favorite Cause.
I was taken by surprise by how much I enjoyed volunteering at the Senior Center, making lunches in an assembly line for a senior picnic. (We created a thousand!) I was encouraged to do it because of some new hiking friends, who volunteer regularly at the Senior Center, but I had never done it before. It uplifted me in a way I didn't expect, so I'll be doing more of that. Volunteering also got me out of the doldrums and gave me some new and interesting people to interact with. 

There are plenty of other tricks I use to stay positive, but the one that emerges above everything else is practicing gratitude. Making a list of all the things in my life for which I am grateful always helps to bring me joy. And there are so many ways I can be grateful: for the day, for my relative health, for my friends and family, for my ability to write and ruminate about life, and on and on. 

Now this is not to say there aren't many events and situations we find ourselves in that make us sad. It's not a bad thing to be sad about, for instance, what has happened in Maui, but it doesn't help anybody or anything to continue to read constantly about all the misery people are experiencing. There are always bright spots in every tragedy, but of course the news media doesn't tell us about them. I was very encouraged to learn that the big banyan tree is beginning to show signs that it will survive the fire, but I had to sift through lots of bad news to find that positive information. It is absorbing water and beginning to produce sap. The roots of that massive tree are very deep, and it makes sense that it will survive, even if it's not going to be the same tree we know and love. Change is inevitable.

I am also struggling to come to grips with my diminishing eyesight. There are days when I forget how much AMD (age-related macular degeneration) has taken from my life, but I can still function much like I always have, although the world looks very different. I am fortunate that I still have my central vision, but it's much different than it once was. I can no longer go down steps without a railing, because my depth perception is impaired. And there are large sections of vision that are just no longer there. Fortunately, the vision in each eye compensates somewhat for the other. I wish I could describe what it's like, but I am not very good at it, even though I try. I will be attending a Senior Center monthly meeting for people with low vision, and I expect I'll learn how others are managing their own AMD. I'll tell you about it once I have attended the meeting next week.

Someday soon I'll stop driving and rely on the bus system and special transit to get around, but for now I can still drive short distances that are familiar to me. I never drive at night or even when it's dark and rainy, but when it's sunny and bright outside, I can see well enough to be safe. And I can still get around easily!

You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world's problems at once, but don't ever underestimate the importance you can have. History has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own. —Michelle Obama

That's right: courage is also contagious. Going through life will also test each of us, but we can be smiling and hopeful, even through the hardest moments. Prayer and contemplation also help to change my attitude, and writing this Sunday post, which often challenges me to find joy to share with you, it also helps me focus on what's really important: friends, family, and love. They are always there, all I have to do is look for them. 

And yes, it's time for me to enter into the rest of my morning routine. My tea is gone, my dear partner still sleeps next to me, and I am ready to spend the day in love and joy. I do hope, my dear friends, that you will find ways to spread happiness around. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things. Be well.


13 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Yes, smiling works! It makes other people smile. It lightens up my own mood. I discovered some years ago that if I just make myself smile, for no reason, the act of using my facial muscles to smile improves my mood. I practice it often.
It's hard sometimes to find joy. I woke this morning still thinking about what I went to sleep thinking about last night: what would I grab in the five minutes I might have to escape a fire racing up the hill from a brush fire gone wild from the freeway below us. It's now a real possibility. The blue sky of yesterday is gone, now smoke colored. But thinking positively I am grateful that I am not sensitive to smokey air. I still have good lungs.
I can barely get around some times, and yet I worked outside for two hours yesterday, cleaning out another bed, trimming back the spent and browning plants. The spring and summer blush and greenness are giving way to tired sagginess. But eventually rain will come, and then we wiil be wishing for it to stop.
Change is hard sometimes, but change is also necessary. Change is good.
Peace be with you.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have some wonderful positive thoughts! Keep smiling!

Rian said...

"Yes, let's do that: can we be loving, hopeful and optimistic?" Yes, we can. It isn't always easy, but it is do-able. And yes, it helps me too, DJan. Hope instead of fear especially. Our minds (like the news media) tend to want to dwell on the negative, but we have the ability to override that. And smiling is a good start. I personally find it hard to smile at strangers.. but I'm going to try. And I love your volunteering at the Senior Center. I might just do that too. Enjoy your Sunday!

Anvilcloud said...

Jack Layton was a left-leaning Canadian politician who died almost now in 20011 (but Aug 22). He was a well-respected good guy. The political party that he left behind has not done quite as well without him. I was glad to be reminded of him.

Marie Smith said...

A smile is contagious. I can see how other positive qualities would be too. May as well do what we can for our little part of the world!

Elephant's Child said...

Love and joy are excellent places to spend our days. With a generous smattering of gratitude. As you know, my volunteering is an important part of my life and I am endlessly grateful to have found it.
Have a beautiful and happy week dear friend.

Gigi said...

A cheerful attitude and a smile not only improves my day; it improves the days of others around me. And every week, you remind me of this and gratitude; for despite any difficulties, I have much to be grateful for - including you!

Rita said...

I have been rather down this past week but I still had a great time chuckling with the nurse who took my stitches out Friday. I totally agree with smiles and looking for the positives and being grateful. I do have times I have to remind myself of that. I know how chronic issues can wear you down sometimes--like your eyes. Hang in there and keep smiling--yes! :)

Betsy said...

This is such a positive and uplifting post today. I thank you for it. I choose not to watch too much news on television because it's just too depressing. I go online and read just enough to keep me fairly informed on happenings in the world.
I love to volunteer and over the years have done a lot of it. I'm still trying to find out my new "place" here in Nebraska. Washington is still "home" to me after 30 years there and that is my most depressing thought these days. How I miss Spokane and our dear friends there. I'm sure you're very aware of the fires there right now. We have several good friends that have been evacuated from their homes. We just heard of three more in the last hour or so. We're definitely praying that rain will fall or the fire-fighters will be able to contain this blaze.
Blessings,
Betsy

Red said...

Staying positive and upbeat takes effort. You've got a good list to help yourself and others. I enjoyed volunteering after retirement. I volunteered at the local Arts center to do front of house work. It was great . You met the crowds who were happy seeing some kind of performance. Losing sight is hard. You are preparing yourself to deal with that loss.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, in college back between 1954- 58, I minored in philosophy, math, and history and majored in literature . Now, all these years later--65!!!!!--I find they all help me stay positive when I can feel my spirits drooping and my mind becoming bemused and bewildered and battered by, as you say, the "woes" of the day.

The professors taught us about philosophers--all of whom were men--dating back to the Greeks. Now, in this year of 2026, we can find women whose treatises and philosophical musings by women--like you--of deep and profound intellect and heart and will. In these months since I've read any blogs, I've thought of your Sunday ones, knowing I'd find wisdom, and yet not going to the computer because of vertigo . And so it is such a joy to read these words of yours about gratitude and change. During my forties I became aware of the deep and abiding mystery of life. the fifties brought within myself, a longing for change--change from self-neglect and loathing to an embrace of who I had become. the sixties, seventies and eighties have brought realizations that have enriched all that I hold dear. And yes, Gratitude is so essential as you've said so beautifully. Gratitude and the realization that we can control only how we respond to the vicissitudes of life--to joy and sorrow, tragedy and triumph, birth and death. Since 2011, each week that I've been able to read your posting on Sunday has been a gift from you. Your sunday posting is a gift from you to all of us--to the Universe since goodness spreads out in circles as does the pebble thrown in to the pond of life. Take care. Know how much your words touch us all and lead to healing. Peace from Dee and the cats. PS: like you, i have vision concerns so i'm not proofing this--please excuse mistakes.

William Kendall said...

Jack Layton was an inherently decent man. More should be like him.

tahoegirl.blog said...

What a heartful post. I think your attitude is brillant and hopeful. i don't have AMD but i do have a macular pucker in my right eye which means I don't really see anything out of it except kind of a blur. i don't drive at night and I always use a rail because of depth perception. I took a fall off a step ladder last week and wrenched my knee so no walking for me. I realized how much my daily routines are important for me when I couldnt do them. Cheers to getting older!