I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Revolutions

Trekking across snowfield
This picture was taken four-and-a-half years ago. It's hard for me to realize how many more revolutions around the sun have occurred since we headed back that June day, after having made it to Excelsior Pass. By the time we get back up there, it will be five full revolutions, five years ago.

What has changed during those five years? For one thing, I've gotten older but am still hanging in there with my exercise routine. That day, Linda and Ward were celebrating their fiftieth wedding anniversary, meaning that this coming June it will be 55 years! (That's Linda at the end of the long line.) I've worn out a few pairs of hiking boots since then, and am considering whether it's time for another pair. Some people think you should replace your boots annually, but I find that about three years of use is about right.

Today is Groundhog Day, meaning that we are halfway between the first official day of winter and the first day of spring. We are gaining three minutes of daylight with each passing day, and after today we will be closer to spring than to the dark days of winter. When I leave the house in the mornings before sunrise, there is now some faint light in the sky, rather than pitch darkness. And we are finally through January, one of the wettest months I remember since moving here twelve years ago. I think today is one of the first days without rain in the forecast; there are puddles everywhere, with the saturated ground unable to absorb any more water.

Since I always try to see all the nominated movies before the Academy Awards ceremony, which this year will be early, next Sunday in fact, I've fallen behind in my movie viewing. Yesterday I rented Rocketman, a musical about the life of Elton John, and still this morning several of the songs are rolling around in my head. "Your Song" just won't let go, and "how wonderful life is while you're in the world" and the tune is still reverberating in my mind as I write this. I didn't realize that song was one of his first big hits, written in 1970, since it seems so relevant today, fifty years later. Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie and think the actor who plays Elton did a great job, although he wasn't nominated. Elton has been sober for 29 years now, which I didn't realize until I saw the remarks at the end of the movie.

There are a few movies that I guess I just won't be able to see before the ceremony, but if there are a few outliers that end up winning, those movies will be brought back to the local theaters. It amazes me that it's already time for the Oscars. In previous years they were held in March, so early February does seem a bit unusual. I will be watching, at least the first part, since I can't stay awake much past 8:00pm these days, and they always run into overtime. The winners are always on the front page of my local news the next morning, so it isn't like I won't know the results almost immediately.

What else has changed in the past five years? Well, we are gearing up for another national election, which sure seemed to roll around fast. Of course, four years isn't all that long a period of time, is it? I guess it depends on how you look at it. When I was a young woman, it seemed to be an interminable length of time, but now it seems like time has been accelerated so much that the march of the seasons is like a revolving door. No sooner do we get to winter than spring is right around the corner. In fact, primroses and daffodils are peeking up through the ground already! It seems way too early, but it really is right on time. It's only my perception that has fallen behind. It's already Groundhog Day.

I like Sundays. They always start the same way, with me getting up to make a cup of tea, open my laptop and begin the process of writing this post. Sometimes it really does seem like a mystery, since I have no idea what might be coming out, and I've begun to realize that it's part of the process of getting from Point A to Point B: just plop those fingers on the keys and starting moving them. When I went to bed last night, I thought I might be writing about the phenomenon of shame, since the movie triggered some old memories that relate to it. But that's not what happened. Instead, I got caught in the revolutions of the seasons, revolving doors, annual awards shows, and more.

And with that, another post has been written. I just looked up the lyrics for that song, and I would like to give you my favorite stanza. Here it is:
And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world
That is how I feel about my blogging community. I am just so happy that we are all sharing this time together, and that you know that my gratitude for your presence in the world is boundless. Until we meet again next week (Oscars Sunday!), I hope you will have a wonderful and fruitful week. Be well until then.

19 comments:

Glenda Beall said...

Good morning, DJan. Time does seem to past too quickly these days, but to me, the last four years have been a decade here in the US. In my own life, time flies and I can't get all the things done that I need to do. Good on you, that you are hiking, keeping fit and enjoying your life. I like those words in Elton John's song that you quoted. His music will be missed when he retires but at least we will always have his music available.
On a bright sunny day here in the mountains of NC, it is cold but not too cold. I might even venture outside today after being inside for a week due to illness.
Have a great week.

Marie Smith said...

One of the best concerts I ever saw was Elton John and I loved the movie. Saw 1917 yesterday. Great movie.

Have a great week Jan.

gigi-hawaii said...

I saw Elton John's musical "Aida" here in Hawaii years ago. It was okay, but different from Verdi's opera "Aida."

Frank said...

Your hiking experience made me want to share my adventure from last night. I'm a hunter and I hunt with dogs though I'm long past killing anything. Last night the dogs got after a raccoon that lead the dogs beyond my tracking capability. I drove around to get closer to them. They decided to hunker down and wait for me to come get them. I walked over 6 miles, in knee high rubber boots and chaps, in the dark. I was so thankful that I have stayed in good shape. I had planned to hike with a hiking club today but after last night, I knew there was no way I was going out again. Every night I go out I ask my dogs what kind of adventure they have in store for me. I'm glad they can't talk. I probably would have stayed home.

William Kendall said...

Groundhog Day: that one time of the year when millions of people decide to flagrantly disregard science and pay heed to the prognostication skills of a rodent who's irritated at being woken up.

Anvilcloud said...

I have those fie years to be quite a change. I find a difference from later 60s to early 70s. But it's different for everyone.

Elephant's Child said...

Enjoy your day/week/life.
The Oscars will largely pass me by as they do every year.
Time is a flexible beast isn't it? Some days take a lifetime and some years whizz past in a heartbeat.

Gigi said...

That song is one of my many favorite songs of Elton John's. I saw him and Billy Joel in concert years and years ago. It was such a good show. I keep hearing such good things about Rocketman; eventually I'll get around to seeing it.

Have a great week!

Friko said...

I am so glad to see that your Sunday morning meditations are still here, waiting for me to read and feel fellowship over. I have said it many times before, you are a wise lady and you have much to teach me. Thank you.

Red said...

I'm always surprised at how much you have to write about on each Sunday Today you have touched on many different topic. I forgot to count them.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I love that song too, Elton John is one of my favorite singers. I hope you have a wonderful week with maybe a bit of sunshine instead of rain...and then send the sun on over this way!

Linda Reeder said...

It's now just past half time at the Super Bowl as I am finally getting around to reading your Sunday post. We had a great Sunday morning, breakfast out with Jake in the city and then a stroll through the gardens at the Ballard Locks in the sunshine. there will be post at some later date.
We this afternoon dealt with WiFi issues today, a now modem, and then Comcast help to get our land line phone working, but now it's all good. I even got a little time outside here in the yard. It's Ground Hog Day, Super Bowl Day, and a palindrome day 02/02/2020. And since I don't really care who wins the football game, all is good. Oh, I just saw a fun commercial!
I'm glad you enjoyed Rocket man. I did too.

Linda Myers said...

Always good to see your Sunday reflective post. You're right about the passage of time.

I've watched your disciplined approach to staying in shape and I envy you. I'm working on it now myself. Yesterday my friend Ellen and I rode 38 miles on our e-bikes, and today I went for a two-mile hike in my never-worn second pair of hiking books. I was relieved to find that my left knee and my right hip, troublesome at times, were willing to go along without complaint!

Tabor said...

I try not to think of how fast time goes these days. It means that I have more time on my hands as I notice the seasonal changes more closely. Tiny crocus tips are just poking up, and I hope I get to see a few blossoms, as squirrels can sometimes do so much damage.

Trish MacGregor said...

Love the post!
And thanks for the reminder about next Sunday as Oscar night!

Arkansas Patti said...

I really enjoy Elton so I will get the DVD for sure. I love that song also and am quite happy to be in this world of blogging also. I was talking to a friend about the speed of time these days. I always felt it was a thing about aging and she did also till her grandson who is 8 years old was complaining about how quickly time was passing.
Oscars all ready?? Thank goodness I record the show or I'd never see much of it.

Rita said...

Love your Sunday chats!
Five years ago I was still living in the West Winds apartments and dealing with fire alarms, trash in the hallways, and loud parties. Life is good! ;)

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Lovely Sunday thoughts feeling positive and that is the best way to feel.

Steven Linda said...

’ve noticed I’ve finally been able to work through some OLD trauma of poverty that I’ve had to endure over the years. My hubby and I would vent because there was no money to pay bills and take care of the kids. But I used a lottery spell and gave the lottery numbers to LORD SAN, I ordered a spell a lottery spell from this MONEY TEMPLE and LORD SAN gave me the real winning numbers just few hours after i gave him the numbers. Then i played and won 58 millions dollars. I have bought a house and so many other things and also dedicate some of the money to the motherless babies. I have Played 3 lotteries and won the 3. LORD SAN has brought joy to my life and my family. we now live in peace. moneytemple@outlook.com, WHATSAPP MESSAGE/CALL: +447482854279 for more information Website; https://thetempleofmoney.com/