I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 5, 2020

I think I have it

Lilacs on the fence
It took me awhile to find a picture to open this post, since I sure didn't want to put a picture of the coronavirus that we have seen everywhere, constantly. I found this picture of lilacs, taken a few years ago, and when I compared it with the same date this year, it shows how far behind our plants are. That's what happens when you have a very cold March, which we did. Right now the same scene looks like this:
Lilacs this year
However, it looks like we should have a bit warmer weather in the near future, which makes me very happy. I haven't felt much like getting out since I took that lovely walk on Thursday. I've been very tired and suffering from what I fear might be a case of the Covid. Last week I wrote about how my hubby started exhibiting signs, and although he still has the cough, he's feeling much better. However, I developed the cough and fatigue and have felt really under the weather, with little to no desire to do much else than sit in my easy chair and binge-watch a series or two.

My symptoms have been mild enough that I haven't felt the need to call the doctor, and I won't unless I start getting shortness of breath. Neither of us have had that worrisome symptom. A sore throat comes and goes, body aches are in the background but go away after a good night's sleep. I am not sure whether or not I've had a low-grade fever, because our thermometer is unreliable, and it's impossible to buy one anywhere. I've watched Chris Cuomo battle the virus on his show, and it makes me wonder if I really do have it. I'm nowhere near as sick as he has been. And I think I'm getting better as the days go by.

Part of the horror of this disease is the uncertainty we are all feeling. Our lives are on hold, everyone is hunkered down and just trying to get through this period intact. My lifeline, other than my dear partner (who felt well enough yesterday to shop for some groceries) is a connection with friends through the phone, FaceTime, and blogs. Seeing how others are coping has been a great help.

When I was in my thirties, my father had a severe heart attack and ended up in the hospital. He was in Texas, and I flew back home to see him during the three days he was in the hospital before he died. That was in the days before we even knew about advance directives, letting others know ahead of time what kind of care we want, in case we cannot speak for ourselves. After all of his children had seen him, the doctors decided to put him on a ventilator, since his lungs were filling with fluid because of his weakened heart. Had I known then what I know now, I would have tried to stop the procedure. It only made him live for a few more hours, and getting on a ventilator for any reason is no picnic.

I found this article on the New York Times, which I read through twice before deciding to put it here. I think you can get it, since they have opened up their pay wall to allow people to get all the information about the pandemic. It's entitled "What You Should Know Before You Need a Ventilator." It's written by a doctor who wishes she could have talked to these patients before they were put into an induced coma before going on the ventilator. You may know that I worked for the Whatcom Alliance for Health Advancement for four years, helping people to write their Advance Directives for what they wish to have happen, if they are unable to speak for themselves in their final days.

I have written one, twice now, and it's on file at the hospital. My family knows that I have decided not to have any heroic procedures if I should get very sick and can't speak for myself. That means no ventilator, don't resuscitate me, just let me go. I went through quite a bit of training to become a facilitator, and I learned a great deal from my clients over the years. I feel very fortunate to have lived such a long and varied life, and who knows how much more time I will have to enjoy on this planet? No one does, and many of our loved ones who are going through this period, watching the terrifying numbers of people dying of the virus, hoping that we will make it through, along with our loved ones.

The main thing to remember is that the vast majority of the people who contract the virus make it through unscathed. Eighty percent, to be exact. And of those who are sick enough to be hospitalized, only a small percentage of them end up on a ventilator. And only a very tiny percentage of those people ever recover. Read the article and think about it for yourself.

In the midst of all this, there are little moments of grace and hope. So many people have been so kind to one another. I keep reading about stories of kindness and allowing unbidden tears to flow. Today's editorial on the Times listed some of them, which I share here:
Behind each of those statistics are untold stories of compassion and sacrifice and heroism that may never be fully recorded. But we do know some: Dr. Mary Krebs, a middle-aged family physician in a farming community outside Dayton, who treated her patients via telemedicine from her own bed even as she battled fever, shortness of breath and a dry cough — telltale signs of coronavirus infection. The Dogfish Head brewery, which stopped making suds and is now turning out half-gallon growlers of hand sanitizer. Mario Salerno, a New York landlord, who said he would not collect rent from his 80 apartments this month, to alleviate stress on his financially struggling tenants. The 29 health care workers who flew from Atlanta to New York City last month as New York began to buckle under the weight of the pandemic. They posed for a photo that went viral, each holding aloft their fingers in the shape of a heart.
This morning, as I finish this post, I am hoping that when we meet again next week we will have been through the worst of the fire and can begin to find a life after Covid. But if not next week, then the one after. Next Sunday is Easter, and there will be no Easter egg hunts, no church services (in person, anyway), but we know that we will get through this, with a little help from our friends and God. And I hope to be able to relate my own journey through. Be well until then, dear readers.

21 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope you get over this bump in your healthy road. I am encouraged to hear that Smart Guy is better....you will be too!

Too bad you cannot have the test...maybe the antibody test after you are all over it.
Take good care of yourself and each other!

Yes ventilators are scary, the only good thing is that they medicate you IF they have enough meds to go around.

My advance care directive says three days on the vent and if no improvement pull the plug. I have been thinking about that...I will leave it as is and put God in charge:)

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Sorry to learn you have this. Is your smell and taste gone? That makes it different from flu. My dough tee and all her family in UK got it too. No testing but confirmed by MD over video chat. Her worst symptom was severe muscle pain around day 7. Today is day 10 for her and pain has eased. Hubby and kids all got better. Wee ones had it very mild. Both are under 4.
Hubby was on a ventilator in 2013 after a head injury that happened while I was in Cuba with Buddy. It was done in my absence though he does have DNR and I am his power of attorney But was out of reach. It was tough to witness him that way but he made it back and I guess we can be grateful for thr 7 years till now. He is 80 and dementia does pose issues but so far we are still coping.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

The hubby part of my comment may be confusing. Sorry. Daughter’s hubby had Covid. My hubby had ventilator not Covid related.

Rian said...

DJan, it is possible that you have a mild case of Covid-19, but also that you have another virus (so many around). My DIL who works in hospital ICU was sick with fever, cough, pains, etc. for a while... but she tested negative (thank god). Worry and exhaustion are not good on the immune system. Take care of yourself and hubby. You are in good shape and should be able to get through this - whatever it is. Don't let 'fear' get the best of you. I find that this is the real enemy. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for that link. I fall firmly into the 'no heroic' measures camp myself.
I do hope that if you and SmartGuy do have Covid 19, that you recover quickly and develop an immunity.
Oceans of caring are flowing your way.

Arkansas Patti said...

It is so hard to tell today just what is ailing us and we can't help but fear the monster lurking outside our homes. I so hope what you have is not Covid but either another much tamer virus or even possibly seasonal allergies. Your good health will be money in the bank for you which ever it is. A test would sure be handy now so you could know for sure. If negative you could relax or if not you could let anyone you have been in contact with know. Do take care of eachother and let us know how it goes. Sending prayers and virtual hugs for you both.

Galen Pearl said...

Glad you are not seriously ill with whatever it is. (Does sound like Covid symptoms, but who knows?)

I agree with you about the DNR and advance directive. Good to have an official one and also let your close ones know what you want.

I just finished a book titled "The Last Town on Earth" about a town that quarantines itself to stay healthy during the 1928 influenza pandemic. Written before the current situation, it is uncanny in how it sheds light not just on containing the outbreak, but also on the psychological effects of not only the flu itself, but also of the quarantine. I wonder, once this crisis has passed, what the long term effects will be on us psychologically. I guess we'll find out.

Take care.

Linda Reeder said...

I am not happy that you probably have the dreaded virus, but I am happy to hear that SG is recovering and that you are not severely ill. I hope SG wore a mask when he went out grocery shopping, to prevent his spreading it to others. No one really knows how long contagion lasts. Jill really wants to have Easter dinner and egg hunts at her house, but I am going to have to tell her to delay any family gatherings until the peak has passed. I don't look forward to making her sad, but we have to be careful.
We have advanced directives, but I can't read about ventilators right now. It's just too much of the same subject. Maybe later.
Please be careful and take good care of each other. You are important to us.

gigi-hawaii said...

I am glad that your symptoms are relatively mild. Blessings.

Linda Myers said...

I suspect you have the virus and and am glad to know it's a relatively mild case for you and SG.

I told my medical power of attorney people(husband and sister) that if I get the virus and they want to put me on the ventilator, to say no. In this illness, they appear to do little good. Now, if I get pneumonia - the other kinds - and they want to put me on the ventilator for three days or so - they should do that.

Red said...

Look after yourself so that you come through this without damage. Stay away from others.

Glenda Beall said...

Lie you, I don't want to be kept alive by machines. But, unless I am beyond hope, I am Okay with being put on a ventilator. Recently, In late January, My 90 year old brother, in good health usually, came down with a horrible virus. He had to go to the ER and his son as asked if they should try to keep him alive. His son said yes, unless it looked like he could not get well. They put him on a ventilator and he recovered, but had a week in the hospital. He is active and loves life.
But, for myself with no children or anyone to look after me, I don't want to be kept alive if I have a debilitating stroke or am unable to care for myself. Nothing would be worse than being in a nursing home with no family nearby and unable to care for myself. I would rather die. I think it is a dis-service to family for an older person to neglect having a will and an End of Life Directive. I have my wishes written down and I have a Power of Attorney named. My biggest fear is being left to suffer pain and misery while I wait to die. I hope you and your man are safe and if you do have COVID 19, it will be a mild case and you both will be back up and running soon. Stay safe.

Marie Smith said...

I pray your symptoms continue to be as they have been Jan. I will be thinking of you this week.

Anvilcloud said...

If you have it, it looks like you won't be part of the statistics. I don't know if that part is good, but I can see the point. I hope whatever it is, it doesn't get bad for you.

Yes, people are being helpful.

Rita said...

I hope both of you remain okay and recover quickly. Afterwards at some point you should be able to be tested to see if you had it. You are in my prayers. Love and hugs!! :)

jo(e) said...

Thanks for opening with the photo of the lilacs! What I needed to see today ....

Gemma's person said...

I am over from Far Side of Fifty's blog to see how you are doing and what your symptoms are...I think we all need to know as much as we can so we know what to expect.

Gigi said...

Sending prayers and love your way. I hope you are feeling better soon!

John's Island said...

Praying for you and SG. Continuing your posts here on Eye while you are possibly dealing with the virus is inspirational. Take care, get lots of rest, and know that there are lots of us out here pulling for your full recovery!

Tabor said...

So really sorry you are both ill. This is such a stressful disease with such a range of illness. I have had a dry cough for years which comes and goes...agrivated by pollen and sometimes my blood pressure nedicine. Thus each coughing spell might make others think I have the virus. I could also have the virus, but would not know unless I felt more ill. Stay safe, drink a ton of fluids, mild exercise, and you are a great one for a Buddhist attiude.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, so sorry that you and your husband are experiencing the virus symptoms. My hope is that your breathing will not be compromised and that you will recover quickly. All of us are probably living with fear--for our family members, friends, and other loved ones and for ourselves. And that fear can, I think, affect our resistance and our immune system. The fear is so all encompassing for many--not just about health but about finances, rent, food, utilities--all that our money goes for (when we have money). So I keep thinking of what FDR said way back in 1933--"We have nothing to fear but fear itself." Is that still true? Can we let go of our fears and trust that all shall be well? This is testing my basic optimism and philosophy. And yet, I continue to believe that out of all this desperation and disruption and yes, death, shall come some good for the world and for each of us. Peace.