I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Twelve years later

Cherry tree in bloom
It was twelve years ago, on April 17, that we finished our journey from Boulder to Bellingham, with our U-Haul and Honda Civic to begin our new life in retirement. I saw this lovely tree in bloom in front and was introduced to our new apartment. SG had come here in February to find us a new place to live, and this one was not only available, but pretty much ideal. Twelve years later, we're still here. Although we are still in the same 26-unit complex, we've moved once, from a two-bedroom on the south end to one on the north side, but otherwise, we have not changed our residence during this time.

Many other residents have come and gone, some moved away and some died, but one other couple who were here when we moved in is still here and have become good friends. I can't visit them at the moment, since we are all still in lockdown in our own homes, requiring six feet of distance between us, but we text and talk to each other on our phones now and then. It has been a good place, but I must say I am getting very tired of being unable to go anywhere, since nothing is open and the streets are still pretty much deserted. Now that the weather is getting warmer, it seems that everyone is restless and wanting to change the status quo.

In our county, we have had 25 deaths, mostly people in nursing homes, and fewer than 300 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. That doesn't include many of us who believe we contracted the disease and had mild cases. My doctor believes we did have it and have now recovered. She said there was no reason for us to get one of the scarce tests, unless we got worse. Fortunately, we both no longer have coughs or any of the other symptoms that we experienced earlier. I was very tired for what seems to be a long time.

It did give us both a chance to use telemedicine to "see" our primary care physicians. Using our PeaceHealth portals to discuss our symptoms and a course of action, it was very comforting to realize that I can have a chance to interact with my doctor without having to go into the eye of the storm, so to speak. Hospitals are not places I like to visit, especially now.

I have given up trying to get my usual step count every day, and now that I am getting stronger and want to get outdoors, I have had a few solitary walks, much shorter and slower than usual, but it's been a tonic for my mood and helps me feel better overall. The only actual thing I've done regularly are my Zoom yoga classes twice a week. I've actually enjoyed them, even if it's just not the same. I get to see my instructor and when we first sign in, I can see who the other participants are. We can say hello before we start the class, but then we get down to business and it's just me, my yoga mat, and the screen on the iPad.

There is the pesky problem of putting on a few pounds, just like probably much of the population. Not getting as much exercise and being home all the time, I spend a fair amount of time looking for something to eat, even when I'm not hungry. I smiled at the thought of gaining the "Covid Fifteen," although for me, so far, it's been the "Covid Five." And I am trying very hard to keep those numbers down. I still weigh myself every morning, trying to keep myself honest, and I was doing pretty well until I added a fairly generous glass of wine to my diet every night. I had gotten away from it being a nightly thing and only indulged when I'd had a particularly strenuous day. That changed when I stopped being able to have any semblance of a schedule and felt like I was dragging myself through the day. There seemed to be no reason not to treat myself, but now I'm feeling better and want to get back to a healthier "new normal."

We received our stimulus money, although since we are retired and living on Social Security, we haven't actually had our income shrink much. That may change dramatically next month, though, when our annuities are recalculated for the year. When I retired, I chose to receive an annual monthly amount, rather than having the amount fluctuate with the market. It made no sense to me to have one's monthly income vary, since our expenses stay the same or increase. I am spending a fair amount less, since there's no place to go: no restaurants, no movie theaters, no haircuts, no shopping for clothes or even shoes. Surely all that will begin to change soon; I'm hoping that by midsummer perhaps some places will begin to reopen. I feel for all the people who have lost their jobs and worry about how our economy will recover. It will take a long time.

There is much to be thankful for, however. This is a global pandemic, and all over the world there are so many places that are in far more dire circumstances than we are here in the US. I am glad to learn that Europe is now past the worst of it, but Africa and India are just beginning. Now that people are no longer traveling, perhaps they won't be hit as hard. I simply have to believe that we will one day see a silver lining come from this dark period. I wonder if I will be around then, since I'm in my twilight years and no longer measure the future in decades, but year to year and month to month.

Since I consider this blog post each Sunday morning to be part of my gratitude journal, it's important to concentrate on the good in my life every day. The one that stands out is my dear partner, who has been on this journey with me now for more than a quarter of a century. After a few failed marriages, I would never have believed that I would be so fortunate as to have found a life companion who would take such good care of me. And I am also very fortunate to have relatively good health, which I must not allow to slip away through inertia and laziness. I've worked hard to stay in good shape and will regain my prior activity level eventually. I have good friends, past and present, who surround me with love and light. Some of them are ones I have never met in person, but that doesn't make them any less precious to me. That would be some of you, dear friends of my heart, chosen family members who buoy me up when I'm down and celebrate with me over my achievements. "At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person."

And we are at the beginning of a new season, just past the equinox and heading toward the solstice, the time when the light overcomes the dark in the Northern Hemisphere, and when the darkest time is past in the Southern Hemisphere. Nothing stays the same, we are not static creatures, and our world is not static, either. This too shall pass, and while we wait for better days, we are not alone. Until we meet again next week, dear friends, I hope that you too will rekindle the light in yourself, and I intend to do so for my own family, near and far. Be well and stay safe.

13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We are all in this together is a common theme right now. When I feel frustrated, I remind myself that and it helps. Take care, Jan. Before long, we will be on the trails again and enjoying what we love to do.

Rian said...

DJan, DH and I just celebrated our move to Texas 49 years ago on the Ides of March. We moved here with 2 little babies after the shutdown of the Space Program and layoffs in Florida... no job, no money, 2 babies. But that too passed. Life finds a way. And we came to love Texas. Our county now has about 1,700 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 32 deaths. But we are staying home and following guidelines. We can't go to the mall to walk these days as the malls are closed as well as almost everything else. So exercise has to be sweeping, mopping, dusting, and walking around the neighborhood. I tend to bake something special about once a week... keeps the guys (DH and grandson) spirits up. Today I will make a peach pecan dump cake. DH is almost finished his radiation treatment so that is something to celebrate! Even as the world recovers, things will not be the same... but we will adapt. Stay well and stay safe!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good morning my friend! You sound more positive this week! I heard this week that we are all in the same boat...I thought yes were are but some are life rafts and some are yachts:)
WE won't see that stimulus check until they mail them out as we don't do the direct deposit. We have saved some money over the last month on gas and eating out which we enjoyed once a week. I just saw a report on our retirement investments and it wasn't pretty, I hope it will rebound in the next two years before Far Guy has to draw some at 72 :) It is what it is I guess.
Will you get checked for antibodies? Now they are saying that many more people may have had this. Thinking back Far Guy was real sick at New Years...so if the antibody tests ever becomes available here he will take it so if he has had it that will take away a worry.
Hope you have a great week!!

Tabor said...

I have been eating more...usually carbs and exercising less. Today I will begin again and see if I can stick to a regimen. I am also trying to give up coffee and see if my blood pressure responds. I have no excuse now not to really study this!! you have motivated me.

Linda Reeder said...

Good morning, DJan. It looks like another beautiful day in the PNW.
I won't walk today, since my back is very angry with me again for pushing too hard in the garden, but that garden is also what keeps me going, even if it is just to stroll around in it and listen to the birds sing. I will be able to do a work out on the stationary bike, where I can read and finish my suspenseful mystery novel.
WE are trying hard not to gain weight, but we did finally treat ourselves to Papa Murphy Pizza yesterday. I resist baking because of the calories. We are out of salad greens so I will have to get back to the grocery store, probably Tuesday, early for senior hours.
My appointment Tuesday at the medical center for an echo cardiogram is still scheduled, so we will have to drive into the city and enter a medical facility. The process itself will be painful. I might need ice cream.
Stay well, stay happy.

gigi-hawaii said...

This is a nice reflective piece, and it is one filled with hope and joy. I don't really feel socially isolated, because I do have a husband and I do see one of my daughters periodically when she brings us groceries from the store. Other than that, there are phone calls and the internet.

Anvilcloud said...

What a nice tone to this post. I like how you worked in the real light and more metaphorical light at the end. Nice job. You seem to be in a good place as the saying goes.

Gigi said...

I'm more or less settling into this routine now...not loving it, but settling into it. So far, knock wood, I haven't noticed weight gain but I have to be very stern with myself.

Stay strong, DJan - we will get through this.

Elephant's Child said...

Some areas in my country are lifting restrictions. Too early I fear since the areas they are focussing on are 'hot spots' in my country.
I know that we are all in this together but this is NOT the kind of world unity I had hoped for.
I am gardening, and gardening some more, while revelling in the simple joys brought to me by nature (which neither the lockdown nor the virus have affected).
Stay well, stay safe, and know that you are valued across the world.

ApacheDug said...

That's a nice photo, it looks like a lovely place to live. You do sound better DJan, but I find it interesting that you worry a little you're not being active enough and your blogs are precisely what motivate me to get more active like yourself. Best of luck with your annuity-recalculation, I'm still a couple years from social security & live solely on my investments (which as everyone knows has taken a real turn south). I'm not worried though, as you said "this too shall pass". Hope your week is a healthy & active one.

The Furry Gnome said...

A very encouraging message DJan.

Rita said...

We will eventually come out the other end of this virus tunnel. I heard in some country (can't remember now) they are issuing cards for people to carry that say you have antibodies and have had the virus so that those people can go out and about or back to work. But in China and South Korea they have had people who had the virus test positive again later on. I wonder if that means they actually get sick again, are carriers/infectious again, or the tests are faulty. We'll find out. I would hope that if you have been through the virus that you'd be immune after that like with other viruses. I figure you'll be out in the garden soon. :)

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you are feeling better. I like the idea that your Zoom yoga class lets your visit a bit in the beginning. You have good health because you work for it. I wish I had half your drive.
"At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person."
Love that quote. You have often been the spark for me. Thank you.
Got a smile from Far Side's yachts and rafts reference. I figure I am in something like a pontoon boat. Not fast or flashy but comfortable.
Keep staying safe my friend.