I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, October 31, 2021

One week later

Whatcom Falls after lots of rain

After last week's embarrassing fiasco, losing my post and trying unsuccessfully to recover it, I've checked to make sure I am in the right place as I begin this morning's writing. Not that I have any confidence that whatever pours out of my noggin will be interesting, but here goes.

Yesterday Mel and I walked to Whatcom Falls Park and saw the most amazing roaring water coming over the falls. You could hear it a long ways away, with all the rain we got during the last two days: almost three inches. Then the skies cleared and it got cold enough yesterday for me to have to scrape ice off my car before heading out. Bundled up against the cold, we had a lovely walk and I captured this picture. I was sort of amazed when I studied it closely to discover there is a man photographing the falls from above. Do you see him? That is a very dangerous place to be, and a few people have lost their lives by slipping right there and being carried to the rocks below.

You can see that our fall colors are still around, but beginning to fade as we pass the halfway mark from fall into the winter months. The long-range forecast is for lots of wet and cold weather ahead, with La NiƱa making an appearance this year. But for us, it's a relatively mild winter anyway: most of the snow should stay in the High Country and spare us. Although I well remember a winter when we got as much snow as we expected in Colorado, it was still short-lived in comparison.

We'll see. In any event, I am happy to have a warm and cozy apartment to live in as we move through the seasons. I have finally grown accustomed to the 20% hike in rent, and I guess almost half of it will be covered by the increase in our Social Security. It's the only bright spot in the economy for me right now: we will get a 5.9% increase for 2022. Everything has become so much more expensive, and I suspect it's the same for our landlords, so I am reconciled to it. It's no different anywhere else in the region, so where could I move to avoid it?

It's Halloween, the last day of the month of October. It's been a good transition month around here, with the rain returning and the days shorter and colder. Soon we will return to Daylight Standard Time, and it will be very dark around here about the time people get off work. Fortunately I am retired and won't venture out much in the evenings. I've also got a head lamp that I use to see my path ahead in the dark, which I need right now in the mornings as I walk to the bus.

I got a call from John yesterday. He had the massive shoulder surgery accomplished last Thursday, and he's in quite a lot of pain right now and is sleeping a lot, eating very little, and just trying to get through these first few weeks. He says he didn't remember last year's surgery on the other shoulder being so painful, and I can only imagine what it must be like. The doctor said the surgery went well, but that the right shoulder was worse than the other one, so it makes sense that the rebuild was more extensive. His left shoulder no longer hurts and he has full mobility in it, so he's hoping that it will be the same in a few months. We sure miss him at the coffee shop. Everyone sends their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I am still meditating every morning after I exercise for ten minutes on the front porch. This time right now is when I would normally be getting out of bed and starting my day, but Sundays are different because I write this post. Since there is no reason to rush to the coffee shop, with John not there, I'm going to add the meditation time after exercise, just as if it were any other morning. Hopefully it will help me get used to a regular time to meditation every day.
Mindfulness helps you go home to the present. And every time you go there and recognize a condition of happiness that you have, happiness comes. —Thich Nhat Hanh

It's interesting how much it has helped me with the stress of daily life. That, and I am definitely watching much less news than I once did. After all, I can learn everything that is going on within a short time on my favorite news channel and the internet; everything else is just commentary and repeat information. Sometimes I wonder if the news is designed to raise my anxiety level and make me worry more. That would be counterproductive for me, since worry is one of those aspects of thinking I don't need more of. I love to spend my time reading other people's blogs and sticking to books that are uplifting, rather than listening to more doom and gloom.

Plus it's that time of year when everybody seems to concentrate on scary stuff, and I don't find that good for me, or anyone at all. But everyone gets to live their own life; I won't try to fix them, or the universe, for all the good that would do. Trying to find peace, contentment and happiness in my own life is enough of a project for me.

And there are so many aspects of my life that I am grateful for. SG has had a bone marrow extract and a CT scan to try to discover the source of his low blood counts, but so far nothing seems especially scary. He's got no symptoms of lymphoma, which is what the doctor suspects, but from what I've read about it, he either has a very mild case or it's something else. He trusts his doctor and doesn't return for another visit for a few weeks, so in the meantime we are being hopeful that all will turn out well. Of course, this business of getting older means that we are all susceptible at some point to illness. 

Buddha's Five Remembrances help me to remember all this. Do you know them? Now that I am studying Buddhism, I remembered learning these five remembrances long ago. Maybe I should tape them to my bathroom mirror so I won't forget them.

  1. I am of the nature to grow old; there is no way to escape growing old.
  2. I am of the nature to have ill health; there is no way to escape having ill health.
  3. I am of the nature to die; there is no way to escape death.
  4. All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.
  5. My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

In some ways, this reminder is helpful to keep me grounded in truth and giving me plenty of reasons to give thanks for every day that I am alive and remain a healthy old woman. And every morning in my meditation, I end with a prayer that all living beings will one day be free from disease, pain, and suffering, that we will all eventually attain enlightenment.

Although I only sit for fifteen to twenty minutes, at the end of that time I am really surprised at how centered and grounded I feel. Just following my breath and keeping myself focused on the moment, letting any thoughts that come up pass through, like clouds passing by. And I find myself, after only a short few months of this, craving those moments of peace. That I can find anywhere at any time, if I just go within. I recommend giving it a try. You don't have anything to lose, and much to gain. But then again, everyone has a different path to wholeness. Forest bathing is one direction I love to go in my quest for serenity. 

And you know what? I've managed to finish this post and have every confidence that this week I will be able to publish it without any glitches. It was a good lesson last week to pay attention to what I'm doing and stay out of ruts. I do hope you will have a wonderful week ahead, and that all good things will come your way. My dear partner still sleeps next to me, breathing so quietly that I cannot hear him, but I know he's there. And life will continue to bring us all chances to spread joy and happiness to others. I wish you all the best. Be well until we meet again next week.


20 comments:

Tabor said...

I am amazed your husband can sleep through your typing...but then my husband could easily. this was a good post with lots to think about. We, elders, have made it through one more fall and move into winter trying to keep all the broken bits together. I really should start a meditation practice.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Halloween, Samhain of the old times. Thanks for reminding me of the joy from meditation. I have been haphazard at my practice, but just realized I have moments of looking out the windows and feeling a lot of gratitude...thinking sort of fades away, and for that moment I think I've connected with the universe of all and dropped my own consciousness. It gives me the same feeling that you mentioned from meditating! But I do want to have a more regular practice, as well as exercise. Sigh. Each day new challenges. I'm ready!

Far Side of Fifty said...

My best to your Smart Guy, sure hope they find the problem with his low blood counts, that is a bit scary. Poor John but I hope that the pain is worth it and he makes a full recovery. I am certain you do miss him as he is a constant in your life.
The waterfall is beautiful! Minus the stupid photographer.
I hope you have a wonderful week:)

Arkansas Patti said...

Looks like last week was just a learning curve. So glad to see you here today, I missed your Sunday thoughts.
I had to click on the picture to see that man. He was really hidden and it was almost spooky.
Glad John is out of surgery but so sorry about the additional pain. Hope that fades quickly. Also hope you get more positive results for SG, they find the reason for his low count and it is a simple fix.

Rian said...

I had to enlarge that pic to see the man over the falls too. Looks like he was crossing over..
Probably not a good idea. I'm glad that John has his surgery over and done, and hopefully the pain will go away soon. And certainly hope they find out why SG's blood count has been low.
As for prices - yes, everything has been going up. But I guess we just have to accept it and move on. And I don't meditate... but would like to. Not sure exactly how to start, but may look into it. Happy Halloween!

Anvilcloud said...

Oh my! That guy! It is crazy what I see photographers doing (the pros on vlogs) to get the pic. I, however, drowned my camera in a foot of water in the flat bottomed river. So I stay where the footing is good and water-free.

Galen Pearl said...

Your lost post from last week fits very well with the five remembrances. Great example of impermanence -- right?! I love those five remembrances and will copy them down for myself. A little version of that is a morning remembrance or prayer I picked up somewhere -- As I wake up or as I begin to meditate, I remind myself, "I am one day closer to my death. How do I want to live this day?"

Elephant's Child said...

Whatever falls out of your noggin IS interesting. Slap yourself (gently) for even wondering whether it is.
I love those five remembrances which make a heap of sense to me. I believe that the world would be a better place if we all remembered them.
I do hope that both SG and John come out of their medical woes quickly and easily.
Have a great week ahead. And all the weeks to come.

ApacheDug said...

"Everything else is just commentary and repeat information." I appreciated your thoughts on watching the news, I liked what you said (including wondering if they were trying to raise your anxiety levels). I went from an hour or so daily to several hours daily these past 5-6 years that I finally let go of this summer (when I quit cable tv). I have a whole new appreciation for the quiet. Well DJan, I'm hoping your friend John recovers from that painful sounding surgery quickly, and they figure out what's going on with SG's low counts. Reading these other people's health issues helps remind me that for any problems of my own, things could be worse. Hope you have a good week ahead.

gigi-hawaii said...

I read your paragraph about John to David just now, as he was thinking of having shoulder replacement surgery too. He keeps postponing it because of the inconvenience and pain. Good luck and speedy recovery to your friend. Hope all goes well.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, I enjoyed what poured out of your noggin this morning. Great photo of Whatcom Falls and, yes, I do see the crazy out there on the edge trying to get that special shot. Sure hear you about the rent increase and the SS boost as well. Yes, Standard Time will be here at this moment next week, and you are right again, darker earlier in the evening, but good news for my morning walk … earlier daylight makes me happy. I do hope that my other namesake has a rapid recovery from his second shoulder surgery. It’s amazing what we have to go through in this aging process. Loved your thoughts on meditation. I’m so with you in finding that to be a wonderful part of my day. I hope SG soon sees results from his tests and discovers the source of his low blood count, and that it all turns out well. Love Buddha’s Five Remembrances and thank you for reminding us of them again. And now, I just couldn’t wait for today’s Eye, and my chance to comment and just let me start with one word: Bellingham! Yes, I just spent 2 days with my SG (Smart Girl) in Bellingham. We stayed at the Chrysalis Inn near Fairhaven. I got 3 walks in on the South Bay Trail … I’ll bet you know it well. On my walk this morning the ramp from street level down to the bridge-like trail was icy! Yes, I stayed right by the railing just in case. The bridge part was no problem at all. I went just over a mile and then turned back and stopped at Woods Coffee. What a delightful coffee shop and I had to wonder if that is where you meet up with John on Sundays? My next blog post will include pics from my walks in Bham! I got close to sending you an email asking if you would like to meet up for coffee with a fellow blogger, but, hey, unexpected visitors are not one of my favorite things. :-) Maybe another time. Bottom line, I thought about how you and SG discovered Bellingham and chose it for a retirement location. I’m thinking I may be at the same point. :-) Bellingham is just a wonderful small city! If you want to reply feel free to email me or leave me a comment on my blog. Wishing you and SG a happy week ahead! John

William Kendall said...

The falls are beautiful. That guy is reckless.

I get my news from the newspapers. It gives a refreshing distance, I find.

Red said...

Well, here's your post! I hope that SG's health issues are resolved. Have a great week .

Betsy said...

Such a beautiful waterfall and I hope the man was okay who was so close to the edge.
Praying for good health for all of you and that all will be well soon.
Blessings,
Betsy

Mary said...

Enjoyed this post, especially the five remembrances. I wish I could learn to meditate, but I have difficulty focusing for more than a few minutes. I’m sure it would help me as I have some anxiety. I wish I personally knew someone who did or that there was a learning center here where I live. But I’m in a fairly small town in the South and It would never "fly" here.

Marie Smith said...

I will try meditation again. Nature keeps me balanced. After the bike accident and I was confined to home, I missed the walks and picnics we always have. A huge part of my life was gone!

I definitely don’t need the news more than 15 minutes a day, that’s for sure. Not listening and watching more than that really helps me.

Sending only good thoughts to SG for the test results. Take care you two!

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you for more than I can say or share. Peace.

Margaret said...

Hoping for good news about the counts. I used to sail through my doctor's appointments and now I'm nervous every time about what could be wrong. I feel fine but who knows? Aging isn't always kind. I like the idea of meditating but am not a very relaxed or still person. It's something I need to work on.

Linda Myers said...

Now that we're in Tucson for the winter, and nearly unpacked and settled in, I'm thinking about changing up my morning routine. Just this morning I did half of my PT before I got out of bed. For news, I believe I'll just read my email subscriptions to the NY Times and Washington Post, avoiding the scary clickbait stuff on CNN. And maybe Facebook only in the morning and at night. That will give me more time to read for pleasure.

And it's sunny here, and pretty flat, so I can walk every day as my hip continues to heal.

Glenda Beall said...

As we age and face our own illness and the death of our loved ones, stress is always with us, I think. Like you, I am working hard to meditate more. You have interested me in Buddhism and I want to find the time to read more about it. I am doing better. Yesterday, I just played quiet soothing music all day. And I slept many hours of the day.

"everything else is just commentary and repeat information," This quote says it all. I don't want to hear the opinions of reporters or anyone else. So I filter what news I watch on TV or on the computer. You would think with all the news centers in our country someone would cover more than one or two stories each day. The world is filled with happenings that we never hear.
I hope SG has no serious illness and that you get good news. And sorry poor John is having so much pain. I know you miss him at the coffee shop. Have a wonderful day.