I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, November 7, 2021

After the storm

From  the Seeing Bellingham Group

I found this picture on my new favorite Facebook group, and although I neglected to note the photographer, I simply couldn't resist sharing this optimistic and beautiful picture with you. It was taken last Thursday, when Mel and I walked in the rain during the morning, and I got home soaked and a bit miserable from all the rain. As I sat down in my easy chair to compose my last post, the rain lessened, and then I looked outside as the sun was going down and saw everything lighted up, just as in this picture, although I didn't have a rainbow to enjoy. 
I'm continually inspired by nature, and the rainbow is one of nature's greatest optical phenomenons. The sighting of a rainbow never fails to bring a smile to people's faces. They signify optimism and positivity: with them comes the sunshine after the rain. —Matthew Williamson

Our walks lately have all been wet. The onset of normal fall precipitation seems to be going a bit crazy lately. The weather people are blaming it on La Niña, a phenomenon that will bring wetter and colder weather to us in the coming months. It's a lot easier for me to appreciate wet conditions when I am dressed for it. Unfortunately, I've been resisting, believing that the rain will stop before it does, and not realizing that I've got to be wearing more effective rain gear. 

Yesterday we walked twice around Lake Padden, one of our favorite places to go when we might not want to venture far because of the weather. Once around is 2.6 miles, and the rain was predicted to begin around 11:00am. So I wore a rain-resistant jacket and stuffed my raincoat into my backpack. A light rain started almost immediately at 9:00am, and I believed it would stop soon, so I didn't put on my raincoat. At least not until I was completely soaked through and had gotten a little bit grumpy. In any event, we did make two complete turns around the lake, which did help my mood a little, and I came home and changed into nice dry clothes.

We gained an hour of sleep last night, but of course I awoke at my usual time, and there was nothing for it except to get up, make my tea and start this post. So I think it will be posted sooner than it usually is, and I can get out to the coffee shop earlier than I normally would. It's not the same without John there, so I toyed with the idea of taking the bus instead of driving, but it is supposed to rain again today. Never mind: I'll drive.

I'm realizing that it won't be that many more years that I will want to drive my car anywhere. Now that it will be DARK so early in the evening, I'll take the bus most places, or let someone else drive (like Mel in her lovely SUV). I'm not sure if the macular degeneration I've been dealing with for years is the reason, but I seem to be losing my depth perception. That's not good for driving. Full sunlight sure helps, but as we venture into the late fall and winter months, there's not much of it around. Fortunately for me, I can walk or take the bus just about everywhere I need to go, thanks to the great bus system we have here in Bellingham.

I'm still meditating every morning, and the peacefulness and joy that I experience much of the time is spreading out from that short period of following my breath into more and more of my day. It is a little amazing to me to think that learning more about Tibetan Buddhism would have such a profound effect in my life. Just yesterday I got a new Kindle book from David Michie about the Dalai Lama's Cat (this one is called Awaken the Kitten Within), the fifth in the series about HHC (His Holiness' Cat), and it deals with her life as she begins her senior years. I've only just begun the story, but everyone who has already read it gives it a great review.

I had just finished re-reading the fourth story in the series about the Dalai Lama's Cat and the Four Paws of Spiritual Success. The characters in the stories all come to life in Michie's writings, and anybody who loves a cat will appreciate learning all about HHC's life. What surprises me is how much I am enjoying reading these books more than once, and rather astounded at how much more I glean from them about Buddhism with each reading. I feel like I've found a treasure trove of books to keep me grounded and peaceful. David Michie has found a new admirer (me), and I intend to study Buddhist philosophy for a long time to come.

Although to some people it wouldn't seem like a blessing, I think it truly was for me to be raised in a family that had no evident church upbringing. My father was an agnostic, and my mother was raised a Catholic. When she married a nonbeliever, she stopped going to church and we, her children, never ventured inside one until we became old enough to do so on our own. When I was in my early teens, I discovered Episcopalianism and began to attend a local church, and before long my siblings had joined me. I was so enchanted with the liturgy I would read the Book of Common Prayer all day long and thought about becoming a nun. 

That didn't last long, but my life was changed because I was no longer without a faith, and it stood me in good stead for many years. When I was a young woman, I began to study different religions and was drawn to Buddhism even then. Living in Boulder, Colorado, I was able to learn a lot about it, since Boulder has the only accredited Buddhist university in America. Well, back then it was anyway; I'm not sure about today. Since there were so many local avenues to learn more about it, I took advantage of classes open to the public, and I learned to meditate as well.

For many years, I meditated morning and night, and somehow it fell away without my noticing. But I wonder, since I have picked it up again, whether all those years had changed my mental processes somehow, because every morning I do feel like I've come home to a place that never left. All I know for sure is that I feel more centered and willing to see compassion and loving kindness in neglected places surrounding me.

I ran across an article not long ago that theorizes that much of the empathy that we feel is due to a genetic trait, rather than learned. You can read more about it in this article from Medical News Daily, which suggests that many of us are more empathetic because of our genes.

Some people are more empathetic than others, and the new study revealed that a significant part of how empathetic we are is down to genetics. In fact, 10 percent of the variation in empathy between people is due to genes, according to the research.

Well, I must have been born with plenty of that gene, because I tend to feel other people's pain and joy more than most, and I am happy that is the case. Of course, it makes it really hard when someone I love is hurting, but I'd rather feel bad for them than not to care at all. How about you? 

Well, here I am with an extra hour to spare, and I think I might actually spend a little more of it in meditation than I usually do. Why not? And then it will be time to head to the coffee shop, my usual routine, to quaff my usual latte. Maybe I'll be able to get a quick walk in later, in between raindrops. It's just not the same at the coffee shop without John around, so I don't spend nearly as much of my time there without him. Of course, there are other people to interact with, before coming back home. 

I do hope you will have a wonderful Sunday, no matter where in the world you are, I am so grateful for your presence in my life. My dear partner just turned over and is still sleeping quietly, but I am beginning to feel the pull to get out of bed and start the rest of my day. Until we meet again next week, dear friends, I wish you all good things. 

15 comments:

John's Island said...

Thanks for introducing me to David Michie. I'm also enjoying the HHC series. Re the mountains from Boulevard Park ... I'm still working on that one.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Rain seems to be in your everyday life! Dress for it! I drug out my snowboots...and hat and mittens...and an in between coat but will find my parka soon enough. One real cold day will make me search it out!
I believe you are more empathetic than most people, you have good genes. I believe I am empathetic to a certain degree...that came to light with the vaccinations...those who refuse the jab I am not empathetic for...sorry I just draw the line...:(

Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks for the heads up about HHC's voyage into senior hood. I enjoyed the first one and will look for this one.
You really are getting hit with some ugly weather but as the old saying goes, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing." And you certainly have the suitable clothing. Enjoy.

gigi-hawaii said...

You seem to be a spiritual person, which is good. I am glad that meditation and Buddhism give you much peace and joy.

Tabor said...

I love the fog and rain when watching mystery on TV, but not happy about it for long periods of time in real life. I have an Italian heritage and we do love the sun!! An empathy gene...that scares me because it means those idiots who want to slaughter people of the Muslim or Christian religion cannot be re-programmed.

Elephant's Child said...

Empathy is a double edged sword as you say - but I wouldn't be without it.

Rian said...

DJan, I'm sitting here drinking my allowed 1/2 cup of Irish tea and reading your post. I read the article you mentioned on empathy... interesting. I wonder if that's what makes some people 'not care' about others (the homeless, the poor, the uninsured, the number of people who have died from this virus, etc.). I'm guessing that we all have various degrees of empathy - some more than others. But if one has 0 empathy, that would be a problem.

I've read the first and second book from the Dalai Lama's cat series. They are good. Will continue with them.

And I find Buddhism something I understand too. I was brought up Catholic, but as I age, find that I'm not too sure about organized religion. I find it best to keep it personal - One on one. I've read C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity and he had some interesting thoughts also. I'm used to do yoga and loved it... and may try meditation as I do think it's something that helps one find peace.

Hope you had a good Latte - even without John there.

Gigi said...

I read this thinking, I wish I had time to mediate...then I realized, I need to make the time - particularly now that my work has been insane; hopefully that is only temporary!

Have a wonderful week and stay dry!

William Kendall said...

Our days are clear but cool at the present.

Marie Smith said...

It is interesting how you found Buddhism initially and then found your way back to it later.

You have lots of rain there but it doesn’t stop you from time outdoors. I would like to be more like that, Jan. The weather often keeps me inside.

Have a great week.

Red said...

You bring up an interesting point bout compassion and other feelings. Are they learned or inherited. I definitely know that part of it is learned. we have may experiences in life that call for empathy. Slowly we learn to use empathy. But do we inherit some empathy? I don't know. Have a great week and don't get too wet. Send some of your moisture here . we are very dry.

Anvilcloud said...

I had tor reread this, "I'm still meditating every morning," because I thought Iread "medicating."

Buz said...

Empathy causes me to suffer while reading Kristin Hannah novels or watching episodes of shows like Call The Midwife, but it's also the reason Hannah and Midwife are among my favorites. As much as I hate trying to watch or read through my own tears (and sometimes suppressed sobs), I have come to recognize those tears as a life-affirming balm, and I guess I'm addicted to whatever chemicals are coursing through my body as I share in the joy or pain (of even fictional characters). At least that is what I'm telling myself these days as I continue to suffer.

For us younger kids, Mom and Dad seemed to employ a non-interventionist style of upbringing. They never discussed things like race around us, perhaps trusting that we might develop a healthier outlook without any direct influence from them. And they offered no objections when Peggy Clements offered to pick up us kids every Sunday morning and take us to her Episcopal church. Of course it meant quiet time for Mom and Dad, so they also benefited. I think Dad's agnosticism, although not expressed outwardly, continues to shape my own doubts about various religious doctrines.

Obviously, this nice blog post succeeded in provoking some of my own thoughts. Each of your new posts is a brush stroke, and more and more I see a painting of the beautiful garden of peace and happiness that you have been cultivating within your own life. My sister, the beautiful Buddhist gardener of life.

Linda Myers said...

Empathy is something I've been given, but only in the last decade or so of my life.

Galen Pearl said...

Always good to catch up with you. Yes, it's been raining here too. Very wet weekend at the cabin. But after so much drought this summer, I'm glad to see the rain. But you are right -- it makes for soggy walks!