I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Sweet air of spring

Freeze, thaw, repeat

 A friend of mine sends me interesting collections, and this one of frozen scenes that generate natural beauty is filled with icy creations. This beautiful "hummingbird" enchanted me, and I had to share it with you. It only has one wing, but otherwise, it seems perfect, don't you think?

It's the first day of spring 2022, past the last full moon of winter, called the "worm moon" as it's the time when the sap in the trees begins to flow, and little worms come out to feast. 

The Old Farmer's Almanac says that the name refers to beetle larvae that would come out of winter hideouts as spring arrived. Northern Native American tribes, however, lived among forests without native earthworms due to glaciers having wiped out the species, according to NASA. Some of these groups instead referred to the moon as the crow moon, as a nod to the birds whose cawing would signal the end of winter. (CNN)

I think I prefer the worm moon name, even if it's not exactly accurate. But one thing I do know it's sure getting to be spring around here. Yesterday I thought Melanie and I would be walking in a downpour, but instead the sun came out, shining brightly, lighting up the sky (and my mood) and reflected in all the puddles that are everywhere. Yes, it did rain all night long, but we were blessed with a fine day.

And I see that Congress has decided that we should remain on Daylight Saving Time permanently. Frankly, I much prefer standard time, but it sure would be nice not to have that silly changing of the clocks twice a year. It has never made sense to me to figuratively snip off a piece of blanket and sew it to the other end. Makes absolutely no difference, except in disrupting the sleep cycles of so many of us.

Today it looks like the sun will shine again, although it's early in the morning. After the time change, I wake up in the dark again and as the days lengthen, I'll have as much sunshine as I wish. If only the sun didn't set in the middle of the night (for me) in summer. Around here, it is long after 9:00pm when the light leaves the sky, and I can hardly wait for the shortening of the days to begin again. I know this makes me an oddball, as most people really dislike the dark days of winter, but I would take them over the endless daylight in summer. Fortunately, our seasons are only three months long and the days and years pass quickly when you get to be my age. Every day is a precious gift, and I'll enjoy them, rain or shine.

I am still working my way through the physics book, which most of the time I am enjoying very much. Did you know that quantum mechanics is responsible for the invention of the MRI device? And I am still trying to come to grips with the concept that things can indeed exist in two places at once! I've learned about superpositioning and entanglement, which I won't even try to explain, but if you do have any interest in knowing more about quantum physics, I highly recommend the book. I've linked it in my previous post, but today I need to move on. Nothing is static, including my mental processes.

Every day lately when I wake up, I take a look at the headlines to see what is happening in the world today. Of course, much of it is about Russia's unprovoked war on Ukraine, and the suffering of the people there. So once I've read them, I can get on with my own life. How fortunate I am not to be in a war zone, with bombs falling all around me. Not a day has gone by since it started that I haven't been moved to tears by the news, so I've become aware of my need to take care of my own mental health. It helps no one to allow myself to be dragged down into sadness and despair. Therefore, I watch for a short while and then turn away to more uplifting pursuits.

I am still doing yoga three times a week on Zoom, and now I'm so accustomed to it that I wonder what it will be like to go back to the studio. Our state has lifted its indoor mask requirements, and now it's possible to attend classes in person. Masks are optional everywhere, but I find that at least half of the people in grocery stores and other crowded places are still wearing them. I'm one of them, and nobody seems to think that's unusual, which I hope continues. We are still required to wear them on the bus. Ridership is still very much down from pre-pandemic days. Most elderly people are masked in public places, not just me.

 But let's take a quick look at what's ahead of us during the coming months of spring. Starting today in my part of the world, green shoots are emerging from the trees, on the ground, and everywhere around me the feeling of possibility of new adventures abound. Winter is behind us for the time being, and new life is evident everywhere. The birds are singing, the clouds part and the sunshine warms my face as I walk. 

When all the world appears to be in a tumult, and nature itself is feeling the assault of climate change, the seasons retain their essential rhythm. Yes, fall gives us a premonition of winter, but then, winter, will be forced to relent, once again, to the new beginnings of soft greens, longer light, and the sweet air of spring. —Madeleine M. Kunin

It's time for me to finish up this post, so that I can be ready to leave a little after 7:00am when John will pick me up for our usual Sunday breakfast in Fairhaven. Before that happens, I need to do my morning exercises and meditation practice. I've got an hour to get it all done, and if I finish now, I'll make it. 

 But before I go, I must take a few moments to bask in gratitude for all the wonderful digital family and friends who join me here. My dear partner still sleeps quietly next to me, and the day beckons, but you, dear friends, are never forgotten in my daily prayers. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things.

18 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Happy Spring. I don't mind eternal daylight savings. If it's one or 't'other I'll take it over standard time. I trust that you are enjoying your breakfast abnd coffee about now.

Rian said...

Love the iced hummingbird! That is really neat! As for daylight savings time - don't care either way. But I do like waking up to sunshine. I have been watching them do tai chi on Roku. Love the way it looks. Don't think I could ever do it and look that graceful, but love watching it. Wonder if I could get my yin and yang in balance just watching... so peaceful.
Hope you have a great breakfast and a wonderful Sunday!

John's Island said...

As one who loves hummingbirds, I agree, that ice formation looks almost exactly like a hummer. Very interesting! Sometimes I am fascinated by how we are so often on the same page. For example, daylight time. I am with you and we are, I believe, in the minority who want to stay on Standard Time. For anyone who doesn’t know, ST was originally designed to solve the problem of every little town having its own time on the clock. That made it really hard for trains to print a schedule. ST was setup to make the middle of the day … noon … the middle of the day’s sunlight. That way, there was approximately the same amount of daylight before noon as after. Leave to humans to think they could tweak that and move a chunk of daylight from morning to evening, simply by changing clocks. Of course, in nature there is no change at all when we change our clocks. So, we just fool ourselves. In the 1970s we had permanent daylight time for a few years, due to an energy crisis, and people hated it. It was way too dark in winter mornings and kids had to go to school in the darkness. We will see how it goes. Perhaps a few years of this silliness and we will get back to Standard Time forever.

Dianne said...

I agree with you and John.... Permanent standard time...for all the reasons stated above.

Elephant's Child said...

Love that icy hummmingbird. We are moving into autumn now - which I love. Like you, I have to ration my exposure to the news and I so often turn to nature for its beauty and its calm.
Enjoy your week dear friend.
And don't get me started on daylight saving time...

Marie Smith said...

The ice hummingbird is pretty incredible really. I too limit my exposure to the world news. It serves no purpose for me to be upset. I’ve done what I can and will continue to look for new opportunities within my power. Otherwise, I focus on my immediate world.

Have a great day and week, Jan. Take care.

Rita said...

I was wondering about Arizona. Aren't they on permanent regular time? So if the rest of the country is on permanent DST that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Will Arizona have to switch after 40 years? Whichever way they decide I will be glad to not shift the time anymore. I hope it passes into law.

Linda Reeder said...

I would prefer permanent Standard Time also. We don't really need 10:00PM daylight but 9:00AM darkness can be dangerous as well as depressing.

William Kendall said...

I would really prefer only standard time.

Arkansas Patti said...

That really does look like a hummer. Think I would have put him in the freezer to preserve him before he melts.
Since I no longer work, the time change doesn't affect me much but I am OK with it being just one all year. Would probably prefer Standard Time if I had a choice.

Gigi said...

Daylight Saving Time or Standard? I kind of think I would prefer Standard - but I'll settle for one or the other and figure out work-arounds as needed. But, as someone who is constantly trying to figure out what time it is in the UK, etc. - I need for the rest of the world to get on board, as well. Currently, as I understand it they also switch back and forth but NOT at the same time as we do. That can create havoc with schedules and I am OVER that nonsense.

Have a great week!

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a beautiful ice formation! You would think our Congress would have better stuff to work on than the time change...the bums. How about poverty or wages, or gas prices or hungry school children or drug trafficking.
I hope you have a wonderful spring like week:)

Red said...

I think you might be one of those people who would like equal day and night all the time. In June the sun sets here just after 10:00 Pm. I like the changing seasons and most of the time, time change doesn't bother me.

Galen Pearl said...

I'm with you about standard time all year round rather than daylight savings time. Laughed at your blanket analogy.

That ice formation is gorgeous! A couple of times over the years when the temperature has stayed below freezing long enough, amazing ice sculptures form at the creek in front of my cabin. The water rushes so fast that it splashes up on rocks and branches and freezes. As the water continues to splash and freeze over several days, it forms beautiful designs. But none that I've seen rival that bird. Wow.

First day of spring here in Oregon has been chilly and rainy, with a gusting wind to make it colder. Doesn't feel much like spring, but certainly looks like spring with all the trees blooming and the daffodils and hyacinths. Tulips not far behind.

Betsy said...

I think I'm in the minority here because I much prefer that we stay on daylight savings time. It's very nice to have a few hours in the evening after work that are still light outside. I do know what you mean about how light it stays in the evening up north. When we lived in Spokane for 30 years, (until last year,) it was light well after 9:00 and I loved it. I got so much more accomplished after work than I did in the winter when it was dark at 3:30!
Take care.
Blessings,
Betsy

Margaret said...

I too prefer standard time especially since we are so far north. I like dark evenings; it throws off my body clock somehow to have it still light near 10 pm. (my bedtime) I'm still wearing my mask in public, but most aren't here in the more southern regions of WA. :(

Glenda Beall said...

Love the ice hummer. I can go either way on the time, but just wish it did not change. I have fibromyalgia and the changing time is not good for me. Like you, Jan, I can only take this horror in the news in small doses. I worry that we will be drawn into this war and who knows what will happen when the two nuclear powers go to war? Scary. I cannot make a difference in what will happen, so I have to do my best to take care of me. I like spring and look forward to getting outside more in the days to come.

Tabor said...

So glad not to be changing the clocks. I have enough to do in the spring and fall. I saw the ice sculpture on Facebook a few weeks ago. Amazing nature art...all we have to do is pay attention.