I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Light and shadows

Me, Mama and our family car

While I was looking for something to write about today, I ran across this picture. It was obviously taken by Daddy, since many of our photos from that era also have our family car in the background. I think Daddy was as proud of that car as he was of his wife and daughter. What really stands out to me, though, is that cheeky grin on my face, as if the world revolves around that magnificent person. And indeed, at that time of my life, I was as privileged and as well loved as anyone could ever be.

I do sometimes wonder what my life would have been like without having been so well loved as a child, but you can always take on the feeling of having been a happy child, even if you weren't. Remembering what I wanted to do when I was young, I realize that now, since I have become an elder in the twilight of my life, I've done everything I wanted, and then some — many things I  never expected to accomplish. Take skydiving, for example. 

It came into my life in a coincidental sort of way when a friend decided he wanted to make a skydive and had learned about tandem skydives, where you are strapped to the front of an instructor. He asked me to join him in the adventure. We called the local Drop Zone and made reservations for the event in a few weeks' time.

This is how it works: an instructor is wearing an oversized parachute, and the two of you jump out of an airplane hooked together (passenger in the front), with the instructor opening the parachute at the right time and guiding you both to a safe landing spot. For my friend, it was enough to do it just once, but I was most definitely hooked on the sensation of freefall. Why? Well, it's almost impossible to describe what it feels like to be in freefall, feeling gravity pulling you towards the distant earth, with the rushing of wind in your face and feeling pretty much unmoored from reality. If nothing were to happen at this point, you would plummet to the earth and die. 

My mind must have realized that on some level, because I became paralyzed and unable to process anything for a few seconds. Then, after what seemed like a lifetime, I saw the instructor's hand appear in front of my face, and he was pointing toward the ripcord (which I was supposed to activate). Oh! Right! I managed to make my hand grab ahold of it and gave it a strong pull, and suddenly with a whump! we were no longer in freefall but under a brightly colored parachute. My instructor released the brakes and we took a few wonderful turns under the canopy. He also pointed out our landing area, which looked quite far away, but we made some nice sashays back and forth until we landed, unhurt and right where we were supposed to be. I was transformed! I knew I had to do that again, so in another couple of weeks, I repeated the experience (my friend was not interested), and after that I signed up to take a weeks-long course to do it on my own.

The rest is history: I made several hundred skydives during my first year. I learned how to control my body in freefall, open the parachute on my own at the right time, and ended up buying my own gear within a few months. Now I am retired from skydiving, but before I finished, I had accumulated more than 60 hours of freefall time, 50 seconds per skydive (you get a certificate from the US Parachute Association for every 12 hours), had become a freefall instructor and taught more than a thousand students, and set a couple of freefall records before hanging it all up. That little girl in the picture didn't know she would do such a thing, but it is one of my lifetime achievements. 

After landing

Along the way I met my life partner (who also has thousands of jumps) and although we don't skydive any more we have a very definite vocabulary that only skydivers share. Between us we have more than 8,000 jumps out of airplanes and many of them with each other. Just thinking about it, I can recall times when we held hands in the air and looked at the horizon and ground as we fell. We were definitely bonded by skydiving, and we ended up getting married in freefall. That was almost thirty years ago now. It's part of our journey together and always will be.

The things we do during our lifetimes shape who we are today, and I am happy to say that I never did end up living another person's life, just my own. Some people never break out of the mold that someone else puts on their life, with women often becoming wives and mothers and never finding out what they wanted to do with their own lives. I wonder if having lost both of my children contributed to my personal path opening up my future. Certainly taking up skydiving changed my life's trajectory, and I look over at my dear husband and am glad things turned out the way they have.

One thing that I never did was attend college long enough to graduate from anything more than a community college in California. I am convinced, however, that had I been able to matriculate at a good college, I would have become a scientist. Maybe a theoretical physicist who discovers the mystery of quantum mechanics. Who knows? I think my fascination with it shows an aptitude that might have taken me onto a completely different life trajectory. Maybe in another parallel universe I've figured out quantum mechanics, which doesn't allow us to make absolute predictions about the future. It only predicts the likelihoods of different outcomes to happen. It doesn't say anything about which one will happen. I love the uncertainty of it all.

In many respects, I've lived a charmed life, even though it's been filled with loss. But learning to live with disappointment, to find alternate ways to be happy, has actually helped me become a more unique individual, don't you think? As I ponder all the different directions I could have gone, other than the one path I have followed, I wonder if I could have become anyone else other than who I am today. It makes me wonder about predestination and the well-known "predestination paradox" that many science fiction stories use to great effect. For a fascinating concept, read Wikipedia's page on causal loops. I never tire of considering whether what we know as reality is, well, real. Maybe all that time in freefall has altered my sense of self. 

The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature. —Joseph Campbell

I hope you will have fun today, and I do believe that we are all striving to understand who we are on this beautiful ball we call Earth. I had fun writing this nonsensical post about light and shadows. I'm standing in the light and creating my own shadow, which is filled with possibilities. It's time for me to get up and begin my day, and finding my way towards happiness and joy. I wish you all good things until we meet again next week, dear friends.

17 comments:

Debbie V. said...

I do wonder, off and on, how my life might have been different had I chosen not to take on the role of wife for the last 51 years. It was very much what I wanted when I was 19 in 1971. I very much wanted to be a homemaker and raise a lot of children. But I was young and ignorant of the fact that my husband and I were two very different people with different visions of their future.
It has been a very rough road for me at times.
However I am a person whose #1 "strength" in the Gallup Strengthsfinder assessment is Responsibility. Once I have committed to something, it pretty much becomes a part of who I am and I am extremely uncomfortable letting it go.
It is easy for me to imagine what other road I might have taken and the possible outcomes - both good and bad.
Currently, at 71, I do make time for myself and do the things I want to do whenever I want to do them (as much as my body will let me). I seek out fun.

Linda Reeder said...

I never jumped out of airplanes, but I did jump out of my nest. At 18 I went from being a Oregon farm girl to being a Seattle college student. While I went home for summers, that small farm in Oregon with my big family was never really home again. I found myself as a city girl, my life as a teacher, and eventually a teacher's wife and mother. As an extreme introvert I never thought I would find someone to love me and marry me. I never pictured myself as a mother. I never dreamed I would have the life I have. While that farm girl is still there inside me, I became so much more.
Your life has had some extreme ups and downs, pun intended, and you have survived them all. We are both fortunate to have landed in a comfortable, peaceful old age.
I am struggling a bit physically this morning, which means I am also struggling emotionally, so now I'll get going and work on that peace, joy, and happiness. Sometimes we just have to make that happen.

ApacheDug said...

This was excellent, DJan! I gobbled it down then went into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and stood there thinking about it for 10 minutes. Came back and read it again. First of all, love the photos--you have such distinct features, I can tell that's you. Second, I always enjoy your skydiving memories. You put a fresh spin on them and for newcomers to your blog, they get to enjoy them too. A great read. But I've always had a passion for sci-fi and especially time travel, the "serious" aspects of it. (And if you WERE able to travel into the past--were you meant to in the first place?) I used to ponder such questions a lot, until I read Stephen King's 'Tommyknockers' in the mid-1980s. Through normal erosion, an ancient alien spaceship is slowly being unearthed in the woods near a small Maine town. It's radiating an energy that's slowly turning the townfolk into geniuses. The closer you get to the craft, the smarter you become. A traveling salesman comes upon it, and suddenly realizes time travel is possible--right before his head explodes. Something to think about, my friend! :^)

Anvilcloud said...

You have led a unique and interesting life and continue to be an interesting person

I don’t believe in predestination, but I don’t believe in libertarian free will either.

Galen Pearl said...

Love your parallel universe musings. I joked the other day because I like the shows Vikings and Game of Thrones, that in some other lifetime, I was a thug marauder...with a dragon! Ha!

Rian said...

DJan, your description of your first tandem sky dive makes me so want to do that. I felt that way watching my daughter do her one and only skydive. She was like your friend - it was great, but once was enough. I watched and thought, 'how wonderful... how freeing! I want to do that!" But the chance hasn't come again (DH definitely wasn't interested), so perhaps it wasn't to be. But I did watch a show about some paragliders soaring up with the eagles, catching the wind currents and thought, "Wow! That has got to be a great feeling!".

So, have I done everything I ever wanted to do? No, but it's OK. I've lived a good life and come close for the most part. I wasn't an over achiever and didn't make a lot of plans - just let life take me where it led. Like you I grew up in a loving home, but was the youngest, not the oldest. And I too love reading or watching shows about science, time-travel, and infinite possibilities. Watching "Frequency" now on Netflix where a daughter and her 20 year dead father connect through an old ham radio. And how her knowledge of those 20 years causes him to make changes that affect the future. Interesting.

Marie Smith said...

I had a distinct choice to make and at twenty-one and this is the life I chose. I wonder about the other at times, mostly since I’ve gotten older. It’s been a good life and I have no regrets. That makes me happy.

I love your stories of free fall. The little girl in the photo with the great spirit is alive and well all these years later.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great post, not just about your life, but inspiring others to think about their own lives, and choices. For me, I moved away from the expected definitions and had various adventures, all while maybe raising my sons...they would question that I'm sure. But now we all love one another, and I'm so proud of them as men with wives and families. I'm the odd one out, happily alone most of the time.

Elephant's Child said...

I love that small girl and her cheeky grin - nearly as much as I love the woman she became. Whether you know it or not, you are inspirational. Thank you so much, dear friend across the seas.

Arkansas Patti said...

Your description of freefall almost made me hit Google for the nearest skydiving center but then I remembered my fear of heights and realized I would do fine till about 600 feet from earth when I would try to climb up my instructor's frame.
You have lived your life your way and even the pains have helped you grow. You did not become a scientist but that was probably meant to be. I didn't become a marine biologist but regret none of the turns I took. Oops, except taking up smoking as a teen but glad I quit 50 years ago.
Keep doing what you are doing--it is just right.

Red said...

I'm sure many people have looked at a picture of themselves when they were very young and wondered why or if. I'm the only one of a family of farmers who left the farm. I often wonder what my life would have been if I had stayed on the farm.

Judee said...

There was a time that I thought about sky diving with a friend, but I just didn't have the courage to try it. When I was young, I wanted to jump off the high diving board at the local pool, but as many times as I got up there, I just couldn't jump and would backtrack down. I'm not a risk taker by nature -and it is something that I've felt bad about many times - not having the courage to try exciting /risky things. It's funny early this morning I was just thinking to myself - what have been my greatest accomplishments in this lifetime? Great post.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting thoughts! I hope you have a wonderful week!

William Kendall said...

Wisely said.

Glenda Beall said...

You always give me so much to ponder, DJan. Great post. I like the description of the free fall. I would never consider such a thing as I have always had a fear of heights, but I think so much about my life and how it turned out now that I am close to your age. I would have chosen some different paths, but I would have married my best friend and dearest companion. His presence in my life was just what I needed. However, I would have pursued writing as a career, I think, from early on. I discovered talents and passions within me too late to accomplish what I want to do, but I will continue to do what I love.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, your mind fascinates me. Peace. Dee Ready

John's Island said...

Last Sunday I got really busy with one thing and another and never made it to Eye on the Edge, which, normally, is a regular part of my Sunday. Today, almost a week later, I enjoyed reading about how you got into sky diving. I think it is neat that you and SG met via sky diving. Lately you haven’t said much about SG and how he is doing. I recall he had some issues a while back. I hope he has recovered and doing well. Looking forward to see what tomorrow’s post brings. Thanks, as always, for sharing.