I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, December 25, 2022

Christmas Day 2022

Linda H. Williams on Seeing Bellingham Group

Looking for just the right picture for Christmas, I found this one taken by a local photographer, with Christmas lights shining behind branches covered by freezing rain that kept most of us in the region stuck inside during the last few days. It was right before the biggest economic holiday of the year. And today, as everything is now closed down to allow us to recover, I'm finally able to get to the coffee shop with John this morning. Not our regular one, which is closed, but one of the few we have found that is open on Christmas morning. He will be here in his big truck, which was completely frozen solid under a sheet of ice yesterday morning. He tried everything, but then, almost like magic, the severe cold broke and a warm rain began to cover everything. Of course, it fell on icy snow-covered streets, and it was treacherous to even try to make it down my apartment steps to see how bad the sidewalk was.

The warm rain continued to fall all morning, and as I looked out the front door in the dark before dawn, it felt almost balmy in comparison to the subfreezing temperatures we've endured for days. I listened to the ice cracking and falling from trees and nearby structures. Right now, before dawn, it's 45°F (8°C), while 24 hours ago we were in the deep freeze. Most of the country has endured some truly memorable weather during the past week. Here's hoping we are turning the corner on this day, the last Sunday in the calendar year, and the day when Christmas reminds us that the true meaning of the day is LOVE.
The festival of Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ and conveys his message of love, tolerance and brotherhood. It is a celebration of humanity and mankind. Though Christmas is a primary festival of the Christian calendar, it still has a special significance in everyone's life.

 When I was a kid, I always hoped to find a special gift for me under the Christmas tree. I knew in my heart that my parents were the ones who found just the right gift (actually, my mother), not Santa Claus. I was never much of a believer, but played along because it was expected. In all the years of my childhood, I must have received hundreds of gifts, but only a few stand out in my memory. When I was around ten, I really wanted a bride doll, and I can still remember seeing it in the store and wanting it so bad. I guess I received it, but it was the wanting that I remember to this day. I suppose I would be wealthy today if I had kept it, pristine and unloved in its original box, but I'll wager that she was loved until she was used up and eventually discarded.

Far more precious treasures were given during those Christmas festivities: family memories, the closeness I shared with Mama and Daddy and Norma Jean, and then eventually the rest of my siblings as they showed up in my life. But especially my sister who was both my playmate and constant companion. As I grew from a toddler to an adult who went off with my first husband, she was always there. We were a very happy family, as I recollect the memories that still emerge when I think of that long-ago time.

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. —Richard Bach

 What do I remember from my childhood Christmases? There was always a well-decorated tree, covered with lights, ornaments and tinsel. I remember liking to lie down with my head under the tree so that I could look up at the beauty of it, and smell the pine scent, which seemed more intense from underneath. And I was also at eye level with the prettily wrapped presents, even imagining myself being one of them.

As I sit here writing this, in my dark room with my dear partner still sleeping next to me, I think of all the Christmas mornings we have shared together in the three decades we have been together. Since we met as skydivers, we would often spend our Christmas holiday in Arizona jumping out of airplanes. But that was then, and now we are both elders who marvel at what we did when we were young, with no real desire to return to those days. That is actually pretty amazing when you think about how central to our lives that activity was. Today, we will wake up and spend the quiet day together with little to differentiate it from other days. 

We no longer exchange gifts; we have no tree standing in the living room surrounded with presents; sometimes we have a lovely salmon dinner, but since the pandemic we haven't even done that. Instead, I will get in John's truck and we'll head off for coffee, much as we do every day, and SG will remain in bed until he's ready to start his day. When I come home, we'll spend some time together, perhaps reminiscing over past Christmases, but in reality just being grateful for our being together during these precious days in the twilight of our lives. 

Every year for the past several, I have received a wonderful Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar from a dear friend as a Christmas gift. Advent is finished today, after a month of wonderful videos and games to play every day, I'll miss it. I just watched the video from the final day that marks the beginning of the Christmas season. I took a picture with my phone to share it with you:

Until next Advent season, Merry Christmas!

My virtual family, my friends from around the world who visit me on my blogs, whose own blog posts keep me apprised of what is going on in their lives, and those who like to read and don't comment, to all of you I wish you the best of Christmas days on which your future memories will be formed. Until we meet again, dear friends, when we will begin another trip around the sun, I wish you all good things. Be well.

15 comments:

ApacheDug said...

Merry Christmas DJan! I very much enjoyed reading about your bride doll, and I'm glad you really enjoyed it instead of keeping it boxed and pristine. It reminds me of a 'Limited Edition' Frank Sinatra record collection my brothers & sisters went in together on for my dad one year for Christmas. For years we'd ask him "When are you going to open that thing?" and he'd remind us of its worth in brand-new condition. Well, he passed in 2001, my mom in 2004 and now that Sinatra collection sits in my sister's upstairs closet. Anyway, I'm glad you have your friends like John, and SG of course, and memories & such to look back on. Hope your day & week ahead is filled with love and joy. :^)

Marie Smith said...

Your Christmas Day sounds perfect to me. We have a tree but only for the grandkids to decorate. We hosted our family dinner last weekend and made lovely memories with the children this past week. The tree will come down early this week.

Have a lovely holiday season, Jan. Take care.

Elephant's Child said...

Your Christmas sounds lovely. You would have to travel considerable distances to find an open coffee shop here. Ours was quiet, peaceful and also lovely. Today is Boxing Day, celebrated in Australia with massive sales. The shops will be packed. Without me.
Happy holidays dear friend, and many happy days to follow them too.

Arkansas Patti said...

Merry Christmas my friend. I hope you were careful navigating your way to John's truck and you had a fun coffee with him. I imagine you are now enjoying the rest of the day with SG.
I envy you that same calendar. I use to get them as a gift also but my computer is now too old to handle it. Sigh. They are such fun.
May you and those close to you enjoy a wonderful 2023.

Rita said...

Merry, merry Christmas to you and yours!
I remember how special those Christmases were growing up. Even though I've spent the past two decades alone (with or without a cat) the season of love is still special to me every single year. :) :)

Red said...

Your Christmas is like ours...in name only. We did talk to both kids . The weather has moderated so things are good. You've got me thinking about past Christmases when I was a kid. I'll probably post something. Stay warm. Stay safe.

Gigi said...

Merry Christmas, my dear friend! We had the kids last night and for a bit this morning before they headed to her parents. So today was a quiet (but good) one. I never even left the house today; I thought about it and then decided it is still too darn cold here! The Husband tells me the temperatures are supposed to break and warm up some; I can't wait.

Have a wonderful week! xo

Far Side of Fifty said...

Merry Christmas! We made the trip back to the woods today for visitation on Monday and funeral Tuesday. I am ok, sad it will be different without my Dad around. My Mom was weepy today, she will be okay eventually. It all takes time.

Anvilcloud said...

I don’t have many specific memories of my early Christmases, but I have a lot of general ones, and they are good enough. In fact, I suppose that almost all of my Christmas memories are general and sort of bundled up together.

Rian said...

Merry Christmas DJan! Sounds like you had a good Christmas. We did too. Quiet for the most part... texted, talked, and sent pictures back and forth with the kids that couldn't come due to the Arctic freeze, but did get together in the evening with youngest son, DIL, and granddaughter. Drank coffee, ate rum cake, talked, and played games. Now it's time to get ready for 2023. Hope and pray that it's only going to get better for the world... and yes, we have a lot to be thankful for, but we also have a lot that needs work. Thanks so much for sharing your life and thoughts. I so look forward to hearing what my blogger friends have to say... and you dear lady.

gigi-hawaii said...

John is definitely a loyal friend. A keeper.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, “almost like magic, the severe cold broke and a warm rain began to cover everything.” I have to 100% agree … it seemed like magic! Friday, about mid-day, I looked outside to find everything coated with ice including the sidewalk. Those clamp-on cleats were essential just for taking a short walk. It seemed like no one was venturing out … there was no traffic in the neighborhood. Then, Saturday morning, it was 50F when I got up. I could not believe it. I decided I better get to the grocery early to get stocked up for Christmas Day. It’s a good thing I went early as the store was packed and the checkout lines were long! Thank you for another fine Eye on the Edge! Wishing you and SG a fine week ahead. John

Anonymous said...

I am doing all of my blog reading and responding on my iPhone, which is tricky and this form doesn’t really know me so it is probably going to say that I am anonymous. This is Linda Reeder. Our power was out for quite a while this morning and our cable is still out so we are lacking Internet but I am able to do some communication With our data service. as you can tell from my Christmas report on my blog, we had another good holiday. Tom and I are back to being quiet now at home. Jan has gone home and my kids and their kids are at Whidbey Island for a little vacation. I think we created a few more memories again this year. I hope so. Happy holidays to you,, Jan.

aurora said...

Wishing you the Merriest of peaceful Christmas'!

Tabor said...

What a pleasant Christmas you have. You are the spirit of Christmas and the fires you light throughout the season with your kindness will bring that energy of peace to others.