I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Putting the birthday to bed

All those milestone reminders
 
I have been incredibly moved by all the friends who have reached out to help me celebrate this big milestone, turning eighty. My friend Lily and her significant other feted me Friday night with a fabulous birthday cake and signs and portents everywhere that remind me that I am starting my ninth decade of life. I took home the gifts and a generous portion of the cake, but I refused to carry out that big balloon shouting "Eighty"!! What does one do with those enormous balloons?
All birthdays are good. You're getting closer to death. You're getting older. You can smile and laugh at it. It doesn't have to be bad. —Randhir Kapoor

Yeah, right. I thought so, too, until I hit this big one with a zero on the end, probably the last one like this I'll see in this life. I don't actually expect to see the age of ninety, but you never know. If I do, I'll most likely be blind from my ongoing macular degeneration, and more hard of hearing than I am now, with other bits and pieces having stopped working very well, not to put too fine a point on it. It's what happens as we age, and there's no getting around it. I recently filled out a form that asked for my age, and when I put "80" in that spot, it startled me and I realized once again that time continues to flow from age to age, and the only way it stops is when you get off for good.

However, that doesn't have to be bad, as the quote reminds me. Aging is not a choice we make, no matter how much our society tries to convince us that there are plenty of ways to avoid it. Nope. You cannot, and I am reconciled to being in my eighties, even if I don't have to like it, I won't hide the fact. But I ask you again, what does one do with those huge balloons shouting out your advanced age? I'll let other people figure that out.

It sure has been good to receive many thoughtful gifts as I have for this momentous birthday. I traveled to a warm climate and enjoyed the company of my siblings and their families. I received a wonderful package from Minnesota, one of my blogging family members, with six jars of chokecherry jelly. Oh my is it good!

I think I need some more right this minute!

I had to stop just long enough to make myself another piece of toast with chokecherry jelly on it. I had never before tasted this fruit, but it is a bit like cherry with a different tang. I have to say thank you once again to my dear blogging friend for giving me a little more knowledge of the world and letting me taste this delight.

I have received much more than I expected, and now it's time to put this enormous birthday to bed. I'll have more in my future, most likely, and I don't want to use up all my future birthday karma quite yet. It is the most significant event in my current world, but it's not the only one. I'm also trying to keep up with current events, and learning a bit about soccer and, after having watched my first match, trying to figure out how the game is played. Those penalty kicks have me baffled, but I'll figure it out sooner or later. Soccer is fun to watch, especially when your team wins. All that running, up and down the field, with no time outs! I guess you must be incredibly fit and talented to play at the level of the World Cup. Only four teams are still in the running, as the US was eliminated a while back. I'm rooting for either France or Argentina, who are the two favorites still standing. Croatia and Morocco are the two underdogs. Do you watch or play? I can see why it's the world's most popular sport.

My task for the next couple of weeks is to find another yoga studio, as mine has closed for good. It's very sad; I walked by there yesterday as Melanie and I were finishing our Saturday walk. I still have half a dozen Zoom classes available for the next few months, thanks to those who are helping us make a transition to a new studio. There are no Iyengar studios left in Bellingham, and I am not a fan of classes that include music. I'm looking for a serene, although challenging, studio. I have a few more to check out but have already eliminated a couple located nearby. It's not like I don't already know how to do the poses, but having the community helps me in my practice.

We are in the last days of the current year, 2022. It's been momentous and quite interesting to follow the news, but as I wind down into more reflective activities, such as reading and watching favorite series on TV, I find myself settling into the shortened days and long nights, enjoying the season as it flows from fall into winter. We only have a few more days before we experience the longest night and then they begin to shorten just a bit each day. By the end of January, I'll begin to see more light in the sky as I walk to the bus. Right now I couldn't do it without a headlamp, since the sun rises a full hour after I leave the house. I saw a young man with a headlamp both on his head and on the head of his dog: two little bouncing lights as they crossed the street.

How about you? How are you spending your time these days? I know that at least one of my blogging friends is getting ready for summer, as we approach our winter months. I will continue to play Wordle every day; I'm on a long streak and want to see how far I can take it. And I will finish the final episode of a favorite program today, and just about all the others I've followed are done for the season too. Time to pick up a new one; there's so much to watch that I occasionally get bogged down by all the choices. Any favorites?

It's a quiet time of the year around here. Although we do get some sunny days, it seems like the sun barely makes it over the horizon before it begins to slip away again. We are far enough north that our days are less than eight hours long at this time of the year. I'm glad I don't live in Canada where the days are in the dark for the entire time. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy the change of seasons and would never want to live close to the equator again. The world quiets down as we approach the first day of winter, and that means I too become immersed in quiet activities and serenity. 

And we continue to have our health, which is a great blessing. My dear partner has makes me laugh at least a little bit each day, and as we stand in front of the heater, holding hands, we are both filled with love and joy to have each other for the near future. You just never know when it might change, and I don't want to find myself wishing that I had acknowledged our good fortune while we still had it. The world is a beautiful place, and I'm so fortunate to be in my own little corner of the universe, surrounded with love and peace. My friend John will be coming by in a little more than an hour to transport me to Fairhaven for our usual Sunday breakfast. 

And I again find myself at the end of a Sunday morning post, this one a little poignant but it matches my mood, as I look around at the world I've found myself in, one that includes you, my dear friends, souls that reach across the world to touch my heart and fill me with gratitude. I am hoping that the coming week will find you surrounded with all that you desire, and that you will join me here once again next week. Until then, I wish you all good things. Be well.


16 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy 80th birthday. Quite a milestone. You must be doing something right. Take care and God Bless.

Linda Reeder said...

I am pleased that you enjoyed watching soccer and saw the skill and fitness in the players. So many non-soccer people say it's boring because nothing happens. Scoring is all that matters to them. The world calls it the "beautiful game".
Now that your birthday pageant is over (that's what we call extended birthday celebrations) you will hopefully find your self settling into the new reality of 80, and give yourself credit for reaching that "ripe old age" in such good shape. I am just a year and a half behind you.
Connie from Minnesota sent you six jars of choke cherry jam! Wonderful. Thanks for showing it to us. She is such a generous soul.
Have a good week. I'll be checking up on you on your other blog. We are all in this aging thing together.

ApacheDug said...

I felt the need to really take my time reading this. I'm glad that you're in such a positive place right now in the grand scheme of things DJan, but your "now 80" perspective is intriguing as well. That cake looks sooo good--and I really do admire (and maybe envy a little) your youthful zeal. There's no rule book for going into your 80s and you are very much proof of that!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

So glad you survived to see 80! How wonderful to celebrate with Lily and all the others that love you! Including me! Birthday surprises are just the best. Enjoy the taste of Minnesota.
I do not watch Soccer but I do watch a little Hockey I cannot say it is my favorite sport to watch... it is a "family" thing:) Hey Mikey is our newest player and I will go to his game next weekend!

Rian said...

Happy Happy Birthday DJan!! Love the pic and the cake. Aging may or may not be a choice but how you handle it always is... and you do it very well. As for watching the world cup, DH and sons do... as well as most soccer and football games. I don't watch, but am generally aware of the outcomes. Right now my time is spend baking Christmas goodies, doing Wordle, and watching British Baking shows and all the holiday Christmas shows (mostly Hallmark - simple, mostly same themes, but always a good ending that makes me smile). Again... Happy 80th!!

Tabor said...

Happy happy 8th and look back if you find looking forward too challenging. You must have tons of memories to ponder and smile about. Flying to Florida was a big one. I have not traveled on my own for years and even with hubby's dementia, I would rather have him for company when booking a flight.

Elephant's Child said...

Like your other devoted readers I love your attitude to this significant birthday. And am very, very glad that you were suitably feted.
It is summer here, but so far a much cooler one that usual (which is lovely). I am enjoying the extra light and am smiling at the image you have given me of the man and his dog both sporting headlights. Thank you.

Marie Smith said...

I am glad you had a wonderful birthday, Jan. You deserve it!

The shorter days will soon be done and we will notice the return of the light soon enough. The damp cold and wind make it hard to enjoy the outdoors but we continue to persevere. We live in hope and enjoy the coziness of our hearth and home!

Have a great week!

Arkansas Patti said...

I was like you on the big 80. No milestone birthday affected me like that one but it has been 3 years now and it wasn't too bad. When I think how I abused my body in my youth, I am just grateful that against all odds, I have made it this far.
You have managed to celebrate the day with your friends and family who have made it all special. Cool picture with the cake and who would have thought a jelly with the word "choke" in it would be so good:)
Keep enjoying all your blessings.

Galen Pearl said...

I'll add another birthday wish to your long and loving list. I really enjoyed all your reflections on this new decade. You and I are a decade apart since I turned 70 earlier this year. I remember years ago wishing a friend a happy birthday on his 70th birthday and saying something about it being special. He quipped, "At this age every birthday is special." So true, right?

Even though I'm a few years behind you, like you I'm reflecting on the fact that I'm in the home stretch. We begin the series of "lasts." The refrigerator I just had to buy when the old one broke down is likely the last refrigerator.... Little things like that. And big ones. I'm okay with all of that. It's poignant and bittersweet. I feel grateful and blessed.

So good for you for celebrating this milestone with joy and gratitude. Congratulations!!

Red said...

No doubt about it . 80 is a very important birthday. You have enjoyed your 80th. So let the good times roll as you move through the 80's. I'm 83 and I'm starting to wonder where the 80's went.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, 10 years and 7 days ago (December 4, 2012) I left the following comment for you on DJanity …
“Hi DJan, Sure enjoyed finding your blog. I did that by seeing that you won TexWisGirl's Run*Around*Ranch November giveaway, the beautiful heron drawing. I was hoping to win but I'm delighted to see it coming to the Pacific Northwest. :-) Wow, what a nice job you do with your blog. Excellent photography and interesting write-ups. I am south of you down in Seattle and have been trying to develop some blogging skills for the last couple of years. Hope you will stop by and check out John's Island. I find the comments that folks leave for me is encouraging and fascinating, so please do so if you like. Now, congratulations on 70! Hope you have many more and will look forward to following your posts. John”

http://djanstewart.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-big-milestone.html

So here we are again, 10 years later, still bloggin’. It sure has been an interesting decade. Of all the bloggers I know, I will have to say you win the award for dependability. Every Sunday morning with Eye and every Tuesday and Thursday with DJanity. Another interesting aspect of following you is reading the comments of your other followers … it’s like a little community of friends who show up at almost every one of your posts with a few words of reflection. Here are a few I really enjoyed today …
“birthday pageant”
“ripe old age”
“youthful zeal”
“Enjoy the taste of Minnesota”
“Happy 80th!!”
“look back if you find looking forward too challenging”
“am very, very glad that you were suitably feted.”
“We live in hope and enjoy the coziness of our hearth and home!”
“who would have thought a jelly with the word "choke" in it would be so good:)”
"At this age every birthday is special."
“let the good times roll as you move through the 80's.”
Happy Birthday DJan!
John

Anvilcloud said...

Congrats on your milestone. I hope to get there too, but I still have a way to go. We shall see.

Now, we need to talk. This Canadian lives south of you and has more daylight than you right now. So thanks that. 😀

aurora said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Your sage observations of life are always thought provoking.

Buz said...

First things first: You're beautiful and I love you and I'm betting you'll be a centenarian someday. Next, a few good TV series: Three Pines (just started on Amazon Prime, and we enjoyed the first two eps); Bad Sisters (Apple TV+); Annika (on Alibi, whatever that is, but we saw it using the PBS app); Shetland (BBC One or Amazon Prime); The Bay (ITV Hub or Amazon Prime); Unforgotten (ITV or Amazon Prime); "11.22.63" (Hulu, almost seven years old now, based on the Stephen King novel); Mare of Easttown (HBO or Amazon Prime); Ordeal by Innocence (the 2018 series on Amazon Prime starring Bill Nighy; if you don't think you're an Agatha Christie fan, this series will test that contention); The Tunnel (starring Stephen Dillane and Clémence Poésy, on Sky Go or Amazon Prime)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your 80th birthday! That, indeed, is a milestone! I hope you are able to find a new yoga studio. The chokecherry jam looks delicious.