I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Remembering when

Midsummer flowers

 It's a different world when you can't sleep. Or worse, when you can't get back to sleep after a trip to the bathroom. This is happening to me more and more often, and I'm beginning to think I am being punished for having been so smug about my ability to sleep well every night. The last few nights I have only slept five hours or so, none of it very restful. Why, I wonder, is this happening to me? My mind is busy and doesn't seem to want to shut down. Perhaps it's partly because I'm not getting my usual amount of exercise, because it's rather hot outside for me to have any extended periods of exertion. I need to remind myself that nothing stays the same, and I should listen to my body instead of grousing about what I don't seem to be able to accomplish today.

Last week I went to the garden store looking for an organic pesticide for the bugs that have begun to appear on some of my front porch flowers. While I was at the store, I stopped to smell the beautiful roses in the entryway, and I just loved their incredible odor, as they had opened and released their perfume into the sunshine. I also learned that many roses, hothouse ones in particular, don't have any smell. I wondered if it was my nose or what the story was. The ones I was smelling are bred for their scent, however, so it was very strong.

Knowing that memory is tricky and smells can trigger recollections of prior events,  it's really interesting to remember how faulty memory can actually be. Some researchers have shown that people don't remember events in the same way as time goes on. Memories are not stored in the brain like photographs or audio recordings of events; memories are recreated when they are accessed. And when we access old memories, they are modified in subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) ways. I know when my sister Norma Jean and I compare memories of our childhood, our recollections of the same time period can be wildly divergent. I used to think it is because we were different people experiencing the same event, but now I know that time has altered my memories, as well as hers.

It also makes me realize that eyewitness testimony in criminal cases is particularly useless. It's put innumerable people in jail for crimes they didn't commit, because the eyewitness was convinced their memory was correct, and it simply wasn't. Thank heavens for DNA evidence, which has cleared many innocent people. But I never considered how altered my own memory of events and people must be. I know that memories of my mother have altered through time, because I was never as fond of her in life as I am now. All the old hurts and resentments are gone, and all I have left are the wonderful memories, and even some hurtful memories are now affectionate recollections. The sting is gone, and the love remains.

I cherish the memories I have of rest of my departed family and friends. Now that I realize that my memories of them are fluid, not fixed, it doesn't make them any less valuable, but after having been recreated within the chambers of my own mind, perhaps I can forget all the old hurts and resentments I've carried around by concentrating on the good parts and letting the rest be gently massaged into oblivion. Why should I haul out old grudges? They don't do anything but upset me.

Perhaps I can do the same thing with memories of shame and embarrassment I sometimes recall. In a way, I feel like I've stumbled on a technique that might give me peace and contentment about the past that I never before considered. If memories are recreated every time I access them, I must also have some control over their effect upon me. When people get to enjoy something together, it's very exciting for both of us. One of the reasons I love my dear partner so much is all those wonderful years we spent together in skydiving, and all the memories we share. Skydiving has given me many enjoyable memories, along with a few moments of discomfort. It's time for me to let all of that go; it's been almost a decade since I last made a skydive, but the memory of freefall still remains fresh. After all, I've accumulated more than three days there, one minute at a time (61 hours in total). And I don't want to forget the good parts.

I can still enjoy the recall of the days when I taught the First Jump Course to those wide-eyed students who clung to every word, knowing that their lives might depend on whether or not they paid attention. Those were the days before everyone's cellphones became practically extensions of one's arm. I don't know what it must be like to be a teacher these days, when people's attention has been hijacked by their phones. Do teachers have a right to tell students to turn them off? (I think they should.) Let's create a world where paying attention is the most important thing we can aspire to, shall we?
A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows. —Francis of Assisi

Also, I like to think that a single positive thought can drive away many disturbing moments that still remain in the corridors of my mind. I can actively rearrange my memories to shine bright sunlight in those places and drive away the shadows. Why not? Bringing love and joy into those forgotten passageways seems like a happy and productive activity for me, with the only problem being that I need to take out a psychic broom and start clearing out the detritus. I'll take the attitude that forgiveness and love can replace all of the bad stuff, and get started with the easy ones and move on from there. Will it work? You'll probably be the first to know what I uncovered. It seems like great fodder for blog posts.

Well, this post has been a little bit all over the place, and that might be because that's the current state of my consciousness. Once I get a good night's sleep, it might all look very different. But right now I'm still a bit sleep deprived. I am getting ready to start creating some new and exciting memories, as I move from my creative mode into reality and spring up out of bed. My dear partner still sleeps quietly next to me, and the day begins with a look forward into a new day. Until we meet again next week, dear friends, I hope you have a wonderful time ahead of you. Be well. I wish you all good things.


12 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

I can do with 5 hours of sleep. If I sleep less than 5, then I just take a nap later. As for memories, I so agree with you. It's time to let go of old hurt and resentment and be more forgiving. You would want others to forgive you, too.

Rian said...

DJan, this was a great post. This morning both DH and I are 'sleep deprived' as he woke up to watch a soccer game on TV at 3am and I awoke about the same and couldn't get back to sleep... still can't and it's 9:45. Hope to take a nap this afternoon.

As for memories, I do think you are correct in that our minds must re-create them as our 3 kids memories are all so different (yet raised together in the same house). And even DH and I recall events in the past differently. Actually a close friend I grew up with and I were recalling something that happened when we were both about 13 and her memories although basically the same, had things that stayed with her... that I had no recall of... and vice versa.
And I have 'my ways' to drive away bad/worried thoughts... forgiveness and love works, so do my 4 angels (clarity, kindness, healing, and strength). Have a wonderful Sunday! (and do take that nap!)

Rita said...

My sleep has gone haywire for the past couple months off and on. No idea why. Could be some other body adjustment from the treatments, I suppose. It does throw you off--a lot. I wish it would stop. I have days I get 3 hours or less and then days I collapse and sleep for 12 or more hours. Such is life, I guess.

Memories are a fluid thing, yes. I have different memories grown up than my brother and sister, too. I think that is pretty common. People tend to remember what is important to them at the time. So, I agree with you that they have found eyewitnesses are anything but reliable. Totally believe it is nothing to rely on in a case. Too many have.

I think your plan is a good one. We often need to forgive ourselves first of all. Sounds like a wonderful project. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I sleep about six hours and then get up an hour or two and go right back to sleep for about two to three hours...sometimes more. My sleep is all bladder related:)
I hope you have a good week and remember to be kind to yourself:)

Elephant's Child said...

There is a reason that so many cultures use sleep deprivation as torture. It is. I hope you can return to a more normal sleep cycle soon.
Fluid memories? Oh yes. And another big yes to leaving grudges behind.
Have a great week dear friend.

Marie Smith said...

The amount of exercise I get affects how I sleep for certain. I hope you solid sleep returns soon, Jan.

Letting go of old grudges and hurts can be hard but so worthwhile. It gives peace for sure. We could all use peace of mind!

Linda Reeder said...

I got about 6 hours of sleep last night, and got up to watch the US Women's soccer game that I recorded, avoiding any news because I didn't want to know the outcome before watched it. It was a disappointing outcome but a well played game.
6 hours is actually an ok night's sleep for me. I never sleep more than 7, and often have a bad night.
I do have unpleasant memories of my childhood, but I am not a person to hold grudges. It is what it is.

Red said...

This post takes a very honest and realistic view of memory. Like you , I find my brother's memories are sometimes very different. As we age Our sleep patterns get quite miserable. I don't very often get 5 hour of sleep.

Judy from Maine said...

I have discovered an ap called Calm. It is a guided mediation ap, but more important for me, it has a selection of bedtime stories. I set myself up with a bedtime story, set the sound on my phone low and poof I fall asleep. I haven’t heard the end of a story yet. Maybe this type of thing will help you fall back to sleep.
Memories, yes, they evoke so many feelings.

Anvilcloud said...

Welcome to my sleep world. Last night I needed a decent sleep after that close to sleepless Friday. But, I was awake at 4:22 checking on Sue. I think I would have been awake anyway. If I wake uo after about 5 hours, I usually can't get back.

Buz said...

I have a document (from near the very end of his military career) that says Dad had accumulated just over 6,100 flight hours. It's wild to think that your time in freefall was a full one percent of that time.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I hope your good sleep pattern returns, soon.

Thank you for the lovely and thought provoking post.
My brain needed to read your words about memory.