I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Pondering the moment

View of Mt. Shuksan

I took this beautiful picture while on a hike in the High Country more than a decade ago. Still today I can visit these places, but it's a lot more effort for my aging body to get there. But it's still there, even if I'm only able to reminisce about those days. I didn't go on last Thursday's hike to Yellow Aster Butte, not because I couldn't have done it, but because I was afraid I would need days or weeks to recover afterwards. As time is passing, so many things I have long taken for granted are changing, some rapidly, and others more slowly. That mountain and the meadow in the foreground are much the same today, I suspect.

We here in the Pacific Northwest have been spared the intense heat that much of the country is experiencing, spreading throughout most of the Northern Hemisphere and  adding to our summer of discontent. I recently read an article that  unequivocally stated that the climate we grew up with is gone. When we moved away from Colorado fifteen years ago, it was partly because, even then, the summers were getting hotter. It's nothing compared to today's incredibly changing climate. And the ocean waters are heating up way past anybody's nightmare scenarios. Take a look at this chart from the Washington Post:

Source: NOAA and Washington Post

My mind at first simply struggled to take in the import of this map, and then after I read the article, I couldn't help it; I burst into tears and took in the fact that it's true: the worst is yet to come, and there's very little that I can do to change it. All those years I sat in meetings at work and listened to the stuffy scientific conversations about mitigation and adaptation to climate change now have so much more imminence.
The more we reduce emissions right now, the easier it will be to adapt to the changes we can no longer avoid. Mitigation actions will take decades to affect rising temperatures, so we must adapt now to the change that is already upon us—and will continue to affect us in the foreseeable future.

That quote is from an article by the World Wildlife Fund. It's all about the difference between climate change mitigation and adaptation. We all need to adapt, those of us who can, that is. The coral around the southern coast of Florida has all died in the last few weeks, as the water temperatures rose to hot-tub level: 101.1°F. That is astounding to me, and more than a little frightening for what it portends. It's only late July and we have all of the summer to get through before things might begin to cool down a little. 

Yesterday I walked with my new hiking companion, Steve, down to the waterfront and all around, making it about five miles; the area has been on my radar since I first started walking there with the Saturday ladies many years ago. Steve is a Bellingham native and pointed out what has changed in recent years, and how he used to listen to concerts in the park where people now sit in lawn chairs or play frisbee with their dogs. It's a very pretty place to hang out when the weather is nice, like it is right now. Again, I am feeling very lucky to be able to live in a place where you might need a light jacket to be comfortable in midsummer, rather than the searing heat that many of the population is currently experiencing. We need to find a way to live with our situations the way they actually are, and not pretend that the change is not happening.

There are many things to be grateful for, even if the  world around us has evolved to become something different than what we might prefer. Life is change, and I must find a way to enjoy it for what it is, since it doesn't do any good to lament my current life and wish it to be like it once was. This is an old person thinking, and I've got decades of experience to look back on, to look to find ways to spread joy and love into the world, rather than to concentrate on all that's wrong around me. Even if climate change brings us pain, we can look beyond the pain to what is good around us. I think I need an attitude adjustment.

Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained. —Lao Tzu

 After perusing the website brainyquote.com, I found this quote from an ancient sage to help me find a better way to deal with my anxiety. Do you know who Lao Tsu was? He lived in China thousands of years ago, yet here I find many quotes from him are still very relevant today. Lao Tzu's Taoist ethics of “letting things take their own course, yet everything is accomplished” points us toward learning how to correct our subjective state of mind. He wrote the Tao Te Ching and that's when I also learned about the I Ching, which I used as a guide for years, by using stones to cast my fortune and then read what it described as the correct way to approach the current moment. It's been many years since then, and I guess I outgrew it, but it helped me find my way through life when I was a young woman without any strong philosophy of my own. 

And now here I am, living each day as it comes, looking for peace and serenity much as I did when I was young. Reading the news of the day, and looking for a spot here and there of happiness among the moments of existential dread that permeates most of it, I realize, thanks to Lao Tsu, and all I really need to be happy is to change my focus towards goodness and honesty. No matter what else is happening in the world, those two aspects are everywhere, if I look beyond my fear toward the light. 

And with that, dear friends, I realize that it's getting late, and that it's time for me to change my focus from writing this post to the day ahead. My dear partner still sleeps quietly next to me, and my tea is long gone, and John will be here to transport me to our Sunday breakfast spot before I know it. So here goes, I'm gathering my energy to find a way to finish this and get going. I've got my exercises and vitamins waiting for me. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things. Be well.


14 comments:

Tabor said...

I remember years ago when some used to make fun of that nerdy Al Gore. I also sat in conferences and meetings with scientists as they predicted this.

Marie Smith said...

Fifty years ago, when I was doing my Biology degree, climate change was discussed more than once. Living to see it is a sad accomplishment.

Have a great week, Jan.

Rian said...

I sometimes wonder if anything we do will make a difference... not that we shouldn't do our part, we should... but it seems so insignificant in the great scheme of things. Climate change will happen. Nature will win out. But if there is a possibility of us slowing it down or helping in any way, I agree we should try. But as that article said, we also need to be aware that we must learn to adapt to the changes.
Wishing you a Sunday full of goodness and honesty!

Rita said...

I have seen many quotes by Lao Tzu that I really love and relate to but I have never found out who he was. Just knew he lived long ago. I should do a google search.

Yes, climate change is upon us and has been for some time. I read that due to the changes in the ocean temps the ocean currents are beginning to alter! Talk about changing the earth! We will have to adapt.

Focusing on goodness and honesty is a wonderful way to live. :) )

Linda Reeder said...

It has become very clear to me in recent weeks that climate change is here, and it's too late to stop it. I like your emphasis on adaptation. We will either learn to live with it or not survive.
Sometimes I'm glad that I'm old. But then I remember my kids and grand kids.

ApacheDug said...

DJan, I hope (if I'm able to live close to what you've lived so far) that I still have all the feelings of gratitude and hope and wanting to learn (and even the worries about humanity's future) that you do.

Elephant's Child said...

This post spoke very loudly to me. Many, many thanks.

Marcia LaRue said...

Like spoiled brats ... when admonished not to do certain things, did the World 🌎🌍 listen? Some places did, but mostly not! So now look where we are and the battle is a hundred times worse!
Yup ... Shoulda listened to ole Al Gore!

Gigi said...

It is utterly shocking to me, despite all the evidence, some still think "everything is fine" and that climate change isn't real. It makes me despair for the future. But then I remember there are a great many of us willing to do our part to try to fix the situation.

I truly appreciate your weekly messages about seeking out the good around us, DJan. It always uplifts me. Have a wonderful week!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Everyone has to come together to make changes...and that is just not happening there are too many divisions in our country. Heard some of the local here talking about moving more North where the summers are cooler:)

Anvilcloud said...

Those of us who are old are perhaps lucky to escape runaway climate change.

Linda Myers said...

I'm grateful we spend our summers in the Pacific Northwest with its moderate temperatures. We are flying to Tucson for the funeral of a dear friend this weekend. The high forecast for the weekend is 103 to 110, with lows in the upper 70s. I can do it for three days, I think. But two months past knee replacement surgery, we're opting for wheelchair assist at both airports and premium seats for the extra legroom.

I'm disappointed that our species could do something about climate change, but doesn't. Perhaps we're hard wired in ways that makes it too hard. Still, I'm an optimist at heart.

Barwitzki said...

Oh yes, I'm an optimist at heart... too.
And that is urgently needed.
I love the mountains and especially the high mountains with their mountain meadows and alpine pastures.
Hug - we do what we can.

Glenda Beall said...

We human beings are a stubborn lot. If we don't like it, we just simply ignore it. I never had that mindset and have been concerned about climate change for many years. Remember when Jimmy Carter put solar panels on the White House and Reagan promptly took them down? Carter warned us when he was president that we had an energy problem we needed to be concerned about. My last car was a Hybrid and I loved it and felt good about driving it. I could not afford a Hybrid this time I bought a car, but I am driving much less now. I advocate for clean air and promote leadership that works for regulations to prevent climate change from destroying our planet, but feel sad when some I know scoff at anything we might do individually. If everyone did all he/she could, then we could feel like we are making a difference.
Thanks for all the info in this post.