I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Feeling grateful for my life

Mel on our Whatcom Falls walk

It's the end of an era. My friend Melanie and I went on our final Saturday walk together yesterday. She will be moving away, in just over a week, to a new home in Oregon, five (or more) hours away from here. Every Saturday for the past several years, we've gone out together, sometimes with a few others, but always the two of us. We hiked every Thursday and walked every Saturday through the pandemic, and now I'll be needing to find another companion, or maybe spend more of these days walking by myself. I've certainly gotten into the habit and don't want it to end.

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. —C. S. Lewis

Although she won't be in my usual weekly activities, she will always be here in my heart. I don't know what exactly brought us together when she joined us and started hiking with the Senior Trailblazers, but I know when the pandemic hit, she and I would continue to go out on walks together when everybody else either stayed home, or they went out on small group walks, like we did with each other. Mel is a retired law enforcement officer, and I've learned a great deal about how her experiences have caused her to see the world with different eyes than my own. She would tell me about situations she's encountered over the years, and now I see the world differently, too. Perhaps the two of us have blended our memories and both of us have changed a little in response. I know I will miss her presence in my life.

I know that I owe a great deal to her in terms of my current activity level. She always would push me to do a little more on our hikes, go a little bit farther, and consequently I think I am stronger and more likely to continue to improve as I age, instead of slowing down and stopping. It's always easier when you have a friend who is younger and more fit who is willing to accommodate you and encourage you to keep going. That's what Melanie has done for me, and I will continue to keep hiking and walking, even without her around.

Last week I purchased a new pair of hiking boots, since the Hoka version of a shoe I had been using for awhile, although very comfortable, wasn't adequate for a long mountain hike. I tried on several pairs before deciding to buy a brand that is new to me, Obōz. I tried on several different ones, and finally settled on the Sawtooth Low version. There is a waterproof version, but I wanted one that felt good on my feet from the first moment I put it on, and this one fit the bill quite nicely. And I bought the pair from REI, which gives me the option to return them if for any reason if I'm not satisfied with them. Yesterday I gave them their first test, when Melanie and I went on our 6.5-mile walk over varied terrain. So far, so good: no sore spots, no blisters, and my feet don't feel the worse for wear. I've had many pairs of boots that need to be "broken in," but I'm past those days and now only want good support and less pain. I'll let you know how they are faring in a couple more weeks. For now, I'm happy.

And I am seriously considering doing a hard hike this coming week in the mountains with Group 2: Church Mountain. I am only contemplating going to the meadows, a shorter hike, around three-plus miles, but those three miles also have an almost three-thousand-foot elevation gain. Although I have done this hike many times in the past, it's been since before the pandemic hit that I have been there. I enjoyed it many times and never had much of a problem getting to the meadows, but that was then, and I am older now and not sure of being able to accomplish it without embarrassing myself. But I think I have to try. You will know more next week whether I went and how the adventure played itself out.

I hate to gloat, but I am thrilled that we are experiencing just about perfect weather, while most of the rest of the country is sweltering. Yesterday we got to a sunny 69°F (20°C) and today it will be a few degrees warmer, but I am not seeing 80°F in the forecast for the rest of the month. July in the Pacific Northwest has never been better. Maybe it's a gift from the weather gods, or maybe we will pay the price in August, which is traditionally the hottest month around here. I don't do well in full sun and hot temperatures. My favorite hikes are cloudy and cool, especially when we need to gain a good bit of altitude. Thursday will be sunny and in the mid-seventies here in Bellingham and should be a little cooler in the mountains. Church Mountain is in shade until you get to the Meadows.

For someone who has always been a bit of a risk taker, with more than four thousand skydives under my belt, I'm realizing as I am aging that I am trying to maintain some semblance of that adventurous spirit. But it's different now, my body tells me to take care of myself and not try anything too foolish. It's been almost a decade since I've had my "knees in the breeze" on a skydive, and even contemplating one today makes me queasy. I could probably do it, but as I've said to others, "been there done that." One day I will feel that way about hiking in the mountains, but not yet, not quite yet. I may be losing one hiking companion, but I am gaining quite a few more in Group 2. 

What else is on my mind? I am still enjoying my latest new toy, my new MacBook Air, which has a quiet and responsive keyboard, plenty of speed, and a wonderful screen on which to enjoy some streaming series and movies. My hearing aids have made a huge difference in my life, too, and I put them on every morning before the teapot whistles. Recently I realized that one side was no longer working as well as it did before, so I went off to the audiologist's office to have them examined. They needed a good cleaning, and just like that, they are as good as new. They have a three-year warranty, and I figure after that time I will be wanting some new ones with the latest bells and whistles anyway. Right now I am happy with what I have, and I know they will continue to enrich my life. Anyone contemplating getting hearing aids, I highly recommend the bluetooth-enabled versions. It took some getting used to when the phone rings and I hear it inside my head, but now it feels just right. Oh, and I also love that they can be charged at night at my bedside rather than having to worry about batteries.

Well, that about wraps up my current world, other than my dear sweet partner who still sleeps next to me and keeps me entertained during the day, with an endless supply of puns. He laughs as hard at his jokes as I do, and sometimes harder. It sure makes me happy to watch him slapping his knees and guffawing when he tells a good one. He is a joy in so many ways. We do have our moments of annoyance with the other's foibles, but what the heck, they pass and then we are both laughing together again. I cherish every moment we have together.

And I cannot forget to give thanks for my vast virtual family, of which you are part. It enriches my life so much to know you are there, and to have your blogs to learn what is going on in your lives right now. As is true of all of us, there are good and not-so-good moments, but we share them and that makes them even easier to get through. Or enjoy together. Living through this moment in time, I could not feel any luckier or more grateful for it all. And I wish you, dear friend, all good things to come to you in the coming week. Until we meet again, be well.


13 comments:

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

ApacheDug said...

That was a very nice send-off to Melanie, your readers will miss her too. I know you've always had an adventurous spirit DJan, and I'm sure Mel complemented that well. I can just imagine the stories she must have shared with you from her career on those long hikes. Well, you're moving on of course and I very much hope we hear from her again soon.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wishing you more adventures, and friends that enrich your life

Rian said...

DJan, 5 hours away isn't really bad. My daughter is 5 hrs away and comes often. She can leave in the morning and be here for lunch. So, I'm sure you and Mel will be getting together despite the distance. As for the hiking shoe, that looks so much more comfortable than the hiking boots I have (that I haven't used since daughter moved from Colorado)... but they are "boots". As for your altitude hike, I think I would have trouble with that as lately when we do the mall walk, the escalators aren't working, so we have to walk up the escalator stairs. When we do that, it takes me a while to get my heart to slow down (going to tell my Cardiologist that on the next visit... tho possibly normal for my age).

So glad to hear that you are happy with both your hearing aids and your new lap top. And any advice concerning buying hearing aids would be appreciated. I'm still holding off, but won't be able to do so for too much longer.

Have a great Sunday... and know that communicating with you through our blogs is an important part of my life (and others I'm sure). Hugs! Rian
(don't think I show as Anonymous on yours, but do on some... and some lately go to Trash ??)

John's Island said...

In the story that is Eye on the Edge, something will be missing without Mel. As one who will miss her positive influence, I wish her the best in Canby. And now that we know about SG’s ability to entertain with humor, perhaps you’ll share a few of those LOLs with us. 😊 Thanks for the latest and have a great week ahead.

Rita said...

I hope your new shoes continue to work well for you and your hike with the group gets you to the meadow and back without issue. :)
Laughing together is the best! More precious than people often realize. :)
Have a fabulous week!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have a pair of Sandals from that same company and I like them very much...one of my few pairs of shoes that are not Crocs:)
My best to Mel I know how much you enjoyed the hikes with her!
Life goes on...hope you find a like minded person to hike with:)
Hope you have a wonderful week!

Marie Smith said...

What a wonderful friend you have in Mel. Maybe you will visit each other in the future. Meanwhile, enjoy every hike! Every minute is precious! Have a great week.

Gigi said...

Be sure to give Mel our best and tell her that we will miss her as well - I know she is dear to your heart and that you will stay in touch.

Partners - they can drive you crazy at times and then turn right around and make you laugh or do something thoughtful and that's when you realize, despite their leaving dishes in the sink (ahem!) they are your person.

Have a wonderful week!

Linda Reeder said...

I'm trying to think if Canby, Oregon is five hours away. It's a drive I have taken many times over my life. I think it is closer to four hours. Anyway, it's not a jog in the park. Now that Mom is gone and my family have dispersed I have no reason to go there anymore.
I'm impressed that you could hike six + miles in shoes right out of the box. That's some good fitting shoes!

Red said...

All good things must come to an end. someone like you will always find more good things in your life and carry on.

Anvilcloud said...

It’s a wide-ranging post written in a good spirit

Barwitzki said...

It's really a pity that you no longer have your hiking friend because of the move... I also like to walk alone, but talking to a good friend makes the joy twice as great.
So have fun on your tours... and of course... stay tuned :-)))
By the way, we also have wonderful weather this spring and summer... I'm so happy.
hug