I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, July 16, 2023

A new era begins

Trailblazers in Church Mountain Meadows

Last Thursday, I was actually thrilled to have made it all the way up to the Church Mountain Meadows with my new hiking companions. There are nine hikers in this selfie, with Karen's head barely peeking out from behind Barb (in the front) and Gertie, the gnome, in Barb's pocket making us nine in total.

I didn't know, really I didn't, if I would be able to make it all the way up the steep trail to our lunch spot, but I did it without any complaint and truly enjoyed myself the entire time. The only problem was when my back began to hurt on the long downhill, but it was easily dealt with. It makes me feel more confident about joining other long hikes in the wilderness with this group. I might be investing in a new backpack that allows me to have a good waist belt. I removed it from my current one, since it didn't help and seemed to make it harder to carry more weight.

Yesterday was my first Saturday walk without Melanie. I was grousing about having to hike alone, when my new friend from the coffee shop, Steve, asked if he could join me. I readily agreed, and we walked five-plus miles from the coffee shop to Fairhaven and back. He's an interesting guy: a real dog lover, who asked everyone we passed with a medium- to large-sized dog if he could pet the dog. Of course everyone said yes, and so he got his dog fix, while we together chatted about our lives. He's a chemistry teacher at the local technical college, and we met by me noticing his constant stream of test papers to grade. He has three classes a week for eight weeks. Sounds horribly intense to me, but he is enjoying it. I am feeling so lucky to have found another kindred spirit to walk with. Hope it continues, but I'm not counting on it. His elderly dog passed a few years back, but now that he's divorced, he thinks it would be hard for a dog to be alone for so long, so he gets his dog fix from other dog owners. If this continues, rest assured, you will get a photo.

Today, three days after our hike, I am still feeling some discomfort in my hip joints, but less than I expected. I'm hoping to find out more about next week's trip before deciding whether I can do it or not. I have some unpleasant memories of going up the first part of the Chain Lakes hike in full sun and melting down. But hopefully I'll learn more before making that decision. I am confident that one way or another, I'll have more good hikes with my new friends. Even if I might have to skip a few here and there during the hot summer months.

I had forgotten how absolutely gorgeous it is in the High Country, and thinking that those days were behind me, I had not allowed myself to really miss the activity. Now my desire to go there has been reawakened, and I'll do whatever I can to keep myself in good hiking shape. Here's another picture of that meadow.

Bear country, but we didn't see any last week

As an old person, I know that every single moment I can spend in the wilderness is worth the struggle to get there. We only travel one direction in life, and that's towards infirmity, but these old knees and joints seem to have some life in them still today. I was the only octogenarian on the hike, and I didn't want to make a fuss, so I kept my discomfort mostly to myself. Now I can tell you about it, and I know you won't judge me too harshly. I guess my daily walks are making a difference in my fitness level; I've got Melanie's influence to thank for that. I am going to miss her presence in my daily life. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, she won't be totally out of reach, at least.
So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good. —Helen Keller
Although the temperature here in Bellingham reached 80°F yesterday, it was nothing compared to what many others around the world are experiencing. My family in Texas and Florida are stuck in triple-digit heat, which would mean, if I were there, that I wouldn't feel safe outdoors; even their overnight temperatures are too hot for me. Hoping that this awful heat will break soon and we can enjoy a more normal summer. The sad thing is that our climate is definitely changing, and not for the better. More weather extremes of every sort will become more constant as time goes by. We will need to adapt, but as I've said before, there are some upsides to being old: I won't be around to experience the worst of it. I'm hoping for at least another decade of  active life, but nothing is guaranteed to any of us, ever, so taking stock every Sunday of my many advantages makes sense to me.

As I sit here writing on my fancy new laptop, I can first thank the universe for having allowed me to have enough monthly income to buy such trinkets. I really didn't know what a difference I'd experience with a new laptop, and now I cannot imagine going back to my old one. I've got lots of electronic toys, such as my iWatch, my iPad, this MacBook Air, and of course my iPhone. I guess I've become one of those Apple aficionados, since all of my gadgets are thanks to Steve Jobs. How did I ever function without them? There was a time when I couldn't even imagine the level of connectivity we enjoy today. It causes the world to shrink until I can find out what is happening in every corner of every continent, with just a bit of time browsing the internet. 

Yesterday I ventured out in the heat of the day to buy some more flowers for my front porch garden. It was beginning to look a little sad, with several of my flowers either done blooming, or not being happy with their soil and water, so I spruced them up a bit. Then when I came back inside after being out in the heat, it was so lovely to feel the coolness of our living quarters. We don't have a/c, but most of the time we don't need it; a few well-placed fans and a clever husband who knows how to maximize the airflow helps a lot. We do have all of August to get through, and we will probably have a few days of uncomfortable indoor heat, but drinking lots of liquids and wearing light summer clothes will help a great deal. 

My friend John will pick me up for our usual Sunday morning breakfast, and we'll spend some time together enjoying each other's company. I'll share with him what I learned about Steve, our new coffee shop buddy, as well as find out how he's faring in the summer heat. He's recently installed a/c in his home, so he can be more comfortable. John's health isn't the best, but then again, he's 83, going on 84, and he takes all sorts of medications for his breathing difficulties. But he's doing okay, and I give thanks every day for his presence in my life. Between him and my own dear life partner, I've got a fair amount of masculine energy to deal with and enjoy in my daily life. Friendship and family are both incredibly important for my mental health.

Oh, and I cannot forget the wonderful virtual family that I've garnered over the years, and I do spend a fair amount of time every day reading the blogs of my friends and finding out how you are all doing. The world is much smaller when I can simply click on a link and find out what's happening with my friend in Canberra, or the one in Fresno, or Seattle, or my many Canadian friends. Yes, life is good, and I am feeling very happy to be spending another Sunday morning counting my blessings, and gazing over at my sweet partner sleeping quietly. My tea is gone, it's getting close to time to change venues and starting the rest of my morning routine. 

I sincerely hope that you will enjoy a wonderful week ahead, and that by the time we meet again, you will have had many wonderful experiences and are finding ways to enjoy life in all its richness. Until then, dear friends, I wish you all good things. Be well.

13 comments:

ApacheDug said...

Gee I like Steve already, just from what you shared here. I hope we hear more from him. These hikes of yours that go on for miles are unreal, sometimes I envy you greatly DJan. And I'm glad you're enjoying your new Apple laptop so much--I have no idea why this is, but I never got into that brand. In fact, just recently (after my budget tablet from 2020 started acting up, they never last more than a couple years) I decided to go with a Samsung Galaxy Tab and ouch on the $370 price tag, but I've never had a device work this great. So I get your devotion to all things Apple. :^)

Marie Smith said...

It sounds like you are recovering nicely from the hike on Thursday, Jan. Such a challenging walk but you can still do it! You inspire me, my friend. Take care! Stay cool as I know you are!

Rian said...

DJan, I can't imagine living without A/C (but we did and in N.O. heat & humidity) when I was small). But not now... triple digits are too much. It's one of the reasons we put in a house generator. I was more worried about summer time heat, than the cold in winter. And I've a feeling that it's just going to get worse due to climate change or whatever.

Glad you found Steve to walk with... hope he can continue to join you. And happy to hear that you're good with the new laptop. I have an iPhone, Dell laptop, and an Apple iPad (which is just like a big iPhone - without the calling aspect). To be honest, I don't use it that much. Granddaughter uses it to play Minecraft and Roblox.

We celebrated DH's BD yesterday. Youngest son and family came over for dinner and cake/pie.
Today is Sunday to relax. Hope you have a great one. Love hearing about your life. Don't overdo with your back. Take care!

Elephant's Child said...

As I finish this post I am smiling so broadly that my face is starting to hurt. Your determination and resilience are inspiring and I love that you may have found a new walking partner.
I echo your final sentence - right back to you dear friend.

Rita said...

I'm so glad you made it to the meadow and will try some harder hikes. You know the area so well, you will know what to try and what not to on a hot day and the degree of difficulty.

So nice to meet new hiking friends and a new walking friend from the coffee shop, too. He sounds like a nice guy.

The weather has been more noticeably different the past decade, to me anyways. Hotter and colder--longer and faster shifts. Take care hiking in the heat, my friend. :)

Red said...

It's a great feeling of success for you to be able to meet the challenge of a tough hike. It pays to be conscious of your health and follow the rules for good health. Enjoy your week.

Authors with Advice said...

Awesome that you enjoyed the hike and the challenge.

Anvilcloud said...

You just keep on keeping on. Good for you, and keep it up. Maybe you’ll do Everest yet. 😉

Tabor said...

Thanks dear blogger friend fof bringing a balance to my Blogger reading and writing. My bucket list is to visit your world for more than a brief time.

Linda Myers said...

I am proud of you for taking that longer hike and seeing that you can do it! And will again!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for finding a new Saturday hiking buddy! I hope he keeps on hiking with you! My husband and I do the same thing with other peoples dogs. We always ask what the name is and if we can pet them. Most dog people are pretty friendly! I hope you have a wonderful week. I have a Rheumatologist now...he is running all kinds of tests. Not a definite diagnosis yet, but soon I hope. I hear that there are new meds...we shall see:):)

William Kendall said...

Quite a hike.

I am thinking of a new backpack, but of the sort that one just takes around town.

Glenda Beall said...

You are a wonder. Like my sister who is 80 and dances three times a week, you impress me so much. I can't walk far on flat ground and you hike. Good for you. Keep going as long as you can. I have not read or commented lately, but hope to be back on a regular basis now.