I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, November 5, 2023

November is here

Boulevard Park walk yesterday (picture by Steve)

I love these leaves, big leaf maple that lined the trail as Steve and I walked from the coffee shop to the Taylor Dock before turning around and heading back. He got both the flu and Covid shots on Friday and wasn't feeling a hundred percent. I also wasn't anxious to be outdoors in the wind and rain, as we kept having frequent squalls of rain and bouts of wind, but then it would calm down again. We didn't go far, but it made me feel so much better just to get in a little exercise. These pretty leaves won't look so nice once the rain pounds us, as it's forecast to do.

John is back at the coffee shop, too, but he's still recovering from the aftermath of Covid and the treatment he was given. He'll pick me up this morning, however, and we will make our way to Fairhaven for breakfast. It's amazingly warm right now, but that is also expected to change soon. November is famous around here for extremes in weather. When you see that the forecast says to expect "rain with partly sunny skies" you know you need to be ready for anything.

When I got my latest massage on Friday, my therapist scheduled the next session for one month from now, and it turns out that will be on my birthday! How did that happen, where did this past year go? It makes me realize that the older I get, the faster the days, months, and seasons seem to rush by. And there are so many fewer ahead of me than behind. But I cannot complain: I've lived a full and event-filled life, with lots of thrills and chills, with good times and bad times, as every one of us who gets to become an octogenarian can attest to. 

I woke this morning at the usual time, according to my sleep cycle, but the clock says I got up an hour earlier. During the night, the time changed on all our clocks (except for the microwave); our devices and electronics didn't even seem to notice. It will take me a week to get adjusted to the time change, but it gives me an extra hour to write this post, just for today. For whatever reason, I slept well and feel quite serene and happy with life for the moment. The news of the day hasn't been dealt with yet, and I might just keep it that way for awhile. Nothing is making me anxious to find out and spoil my mood. The only thing that changes when I read the news is me.

People who are kind and good hearted all feel the same right now, I suspect: wishing there was something that can be could to make things better. My technique is simple and effective, which is to spend some time in following my breath and then making a gratitude list. Who would have thought that paying attention to something we do unconsciously most of the time could be helpful? But it is. We breathe from the moment we are born until we take our last breath when we die. Most of the time we are completely unaware of that essential element in life, and paying attention to it is rather calming. It also makes me aware of those times when I have difficulty concentrating, but bringing my mind back to my breath without judgment is also a gentle way to train my "monkey mind," the ever-present mental processes, into serenity.
Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens. —Khalil Gibran
And then there is gratitude, such a wonderful addition to anybody's life. I am grateful for the ability to think, to contemplate, to move through my days with the ability to grow. Even as an elder, the expansion of one's horizons never really stops, unless you choose to allow it. All around every one of us are myriad possibilities for growth. Today I'm going to see if I can infect others with the benign virus of love. Why not? It seems like just the thing for a windy, rainy November day.

Well, will you look at that? The hour that I gained last night has just been spent in happy contemplation of the day ahead. It's now time to think about getting out of bed and starting my usual activities. My dear partner still sleeps next to me, and I can hear the wind moving through the trees outside my window. John will be here soon, and we will climb inside his chariot and transport ourselves to Fairhaven for breakfast. I do hope you will have a truly wonderful week ahead, with plenty of company in whatever form suits you best. Two-legged, four-legged, winged, wild or domestic, I wish you and your world all good things until we meet again. Be well, dear friends.

13 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

"Benign virus of love" is quite a phrase. 👍

Tabor said...

Kindness to others makes a ripple and that touches others and produces more kindness. I do have to work on that (not that I am mean to people, but more distracted these days.) I love your carpet of leaves and am thankful they were not wet and slippery!

Linda Reeder said...

I love that golden photo!
My trees have gone to brilliant colors now, the glorious final act before the leaves start to fall. I'll enjoy the bursts of sunshine now and then that light them up.
November always surprises me. Already?! But at least this year the autumnal glory was delayed, giving November a beautiful start.
Have a good week, my friend. I'll work on a love infusion too.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Those leaves look beautiful. I think even in the rain, leaves have a story to share.
Beautiful post.
The quote says so much about life, it will be remembered well.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good morning. I detest the time change as my body hates it. I have threatened not to comply...but my husband changed all the clocks anyway. Hope you have a great week...spread the love:)

Rian said...

DJan, I love the leaves too! Wish they could stay on the ground forever. As for the time change, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. And I feel the same about the time... it seems to fly by these days. And I too am grateful that I've gotten to this age - despite some of the 'inconveniences' that accompany it. And I believe that 'attitude as well as how we handle things' is extremely important when it comes to appreciating the life we've been given.
So I too wish you (and everyone) all good things this Sunday morning... and every morning.

Rita said...

I am all for spreading that love virus!
Happy birthday ahead of time. Maybe you should celebrate for a whole month!
I hope John is feeling himself again soon.

Elephant's Child said...

Gratitude (and love) are gifts that keep giving and giving aren't they? Good to hear that John is back on deck and I hope that he and Steve are back to themselves quickly.
Happy forthcoming birthday. It is amazing how fast the days/weeks can go isn't it? Time is a flexible trickster.
Have a wonderful week dear friend.

Marie Smith said...

Focusing on gratitude has gotten me through some rough times in my life. I totally agree with you, Jan. Have a great week.

John's Island said...

First of all, the starting image is great … you are looking good! 😊 IMHO, a human’s attitude toward life can make a difference in the way they appear and I see happiness in your face. Thanks for sharing another Eye and enjoy the week ahead. John

gigi-hawaii said...

Hope you enjoyed your breakfast. I had my usual carby breakfast, low in cholesterol. The weather is warm in Hawaii. I don't envy your cold weather.

Red said...

You cover a lot of territory in this post. It's like the little guy in the cartoon where they trace where he's been. It is difficult to concentrate on the positive when there is such horrible stuff going on in the world. You are doing the right thing by being physically active and active with people.

Gigi said...

What a great picture! I love it.

Thanks for the reminder to focus on breathing when I need to come back to center. It's something I always forget to do.