I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Thanksgiving just around the corner

Cornucopia of veggies

Yesterday I ended up walking by myself from the coffee shop. Steve had company from out of town, Don had a plumbing problem, and John is back in the hospital again. Not because of Covid this time, but he began to feel really woozy and called his son to take him to the hospital, and they admitted him. He was barely able to walk. They discovered that his potassium level, for one thing, was highly elevated. Last week he started taking a different medication for his heart, and the doctors thought perhaps that might have caused his symptoms. He stopped taking it and feels better, but he'll be there for another day or two to be sure he's out of the woods. Plus they will start him on another medication and will monitor his progress closely.

He is, you know, elderly. He'll be turning 84 in a couple of months, and I remind you what they say about aging: there is only one way to keep it from happening, and hardly anybody is looking forward to dying. It will eventually catch up to all of us, but I, for one, am in no hurry to take that final journey. Sometimes when I'm relaxing quietly in the dark, waiting for sleep, I take stock of my day's activities and look ahead to tomorrow, realizing that my considerable good health makes me happy to be alive. Although I'm not immune to various aches and pains, I seem to be hanging in there for the moment, and for that I am grateful.
Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy. —Joseph Campbell

I am also working hard to stay positive and not overwhelmed with the awful news of the world. I was very pleased last Tuesday to see how well the Democrats did in the off-year elections, although I was disappointed by some of the local Bellingham races. And by the fact that only 44% of eligible voters participated in Whatcom County was discouraging as well. You could hardly make voting much easier than it is here in Washington State: all you need to do is fill in the ballot that was mailed to us and mail it back. You do need to figure out who and what to vote for, but that is not too hard.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get on my soapbox. It's not what I really want to spend my free time doing. I have stopped watching the news channels in the evening that were once something I wouldn't miss. It seems like it only seems to grow more dire, and there is nothing I can do about it, except distract myself with other activities. And the holidays are right around the corner! Less than two weeks before Thanksgiving, which has already occurred in Canada. This year I once again ordered our Thanksgiving dinners from the local co-op, and on Wednesday I will pick up our dinner rather than fixing it myself. It's a good way to support our local grocery store and not cook. I did it for the first time last year and was quite pleased with the quality and quantity of the Thanksgiving feast.

Red leaves

The beautiful red leaves in the picture above are now fallen, after we had a windstorm that pretty much took the last of the deciduous tree leaves down. But we still have many evergreen trees that never lose their lovely branches, although many bits were strewn across the lawns and streets after the storm. We didn't lose power, so once it was over without much damage, I was feeling quite lucky.

Just watching what is happening in so much of the world is difficult enough, but it sure feels hard to find joy in the day-to-day life I lead. I am figuring that as the years pass and I get older, I look at the world news knowing that many of the situations that dominate the headlines today will not be resolved before I die. So, it behooves me to find ways to increase my own equanimity and stay positive. There are a few tricks I've found that work for me.

  • Perform regular aerobic physical activity. 
  • Dedicate yourself to others. 
  • Connect with your spiritual side. 
  • Discover something new. 
  • Give yourself permission to take a few moments of pleasure, especially when you are feeling low. 
  • Pay attention to the good. 
  • Conversely, limit negativity. 
One of the ways that I limit negativity is by watching uplifting shows on TV and turning off the news. That doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what's happening, but you can let yourself get dragged down, which does no good for anybody. Also, I have found that letting myself have a good cry really helps sometimes. I watched Diane Nyad in the recent Netflix movie about her attempts to swim from Cuba to Key West. She tried five times before finally accomplishing it, and she was 64 years old when she did it, in 2013. That movie really gave me a chance to have a good cry, all right.

And now it's almost time to get up and begin my unusual Sunday morning. John will be having his own breakfast in the hospital (I don't recommend it) and I will find somewhere else to enjoy a solitary breakfast. My dear partner never eats breakfast until around noon, so I will be partaking of a simple breakfast, maybe at the food co-op, maybe somewhere else that catches my eye. But first is my daily routine of exercises and a few moments of meditation on the breath. And then I can really start my day, reading your blogs and commenting, as well as hopefully solving today's wordle.

So, with that, my friends, I am wishing you a wonderful week ahead, and that you will find some joy in your daily life. Until we meet again, I wish you all good things. Be well.

16 comments:

Rita said...

I hope they get John's medications sorted out and he gets back home quickly.
What beautiful leaves. The trees are pretty bare here now from the wind, mostly.
I hope you found a wonderful little breakfast and had a joyful day. :)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your list is perfect to take heed of, and practice for ourselves.
Prayers for everyone's health

ApacheDug said...

I was sorry to read about your friend John, I hope his recovery is fairly speedy. And I liked what you said about our only alternative to aging, a good reminder to be more accepting of these various aches & pains when rolling out of the bed in the morning. I also liked reading about the votes in your neck of the woods (and the dismal turnout). Please don't worry about being on that soapbox, most of us (me included) enjoy reading your take on things.

Anvilcloud said...

My breakfast today was a homemade breakfast sandwich at 6am. I had consumed my first coffee at 3 and the second at 4:30. It was a l o n g morning.

Rian said...

You mentioned the elections or I would never bring it up. But although we always vote, this time we didn't. We're 78 and usually vote by mail since the Pandemic, and we waited and waited to get our ballots and never did. When I checked into it, it said many Texans didn't get their ballots due to some new Texas voting rules??? Not sure what they are, but aim to find out as we will DEFINITELY be voting next November.
Also I'm watching "Life on our Planet" on Netflix. It makes you wonder if our time here is nearing an end... and whether we're contributing actively to it's demise. Us older folks may not see it, but just makes you wonder how much time humans have before the next cataclysmic event (just helps put our problems in perspective).
Have a wonderful Sunday, DJan!

Linda Reeder said...

I have to work on staying positive and upbeat too. I mostly just try to keep my brain busy.
Speaking of which, I am off now to go have a brain MRI. We want to see if there is any change since the last one, over a year ago. We want to confirm, or hopefully, rule out, Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. At least I hope they'll find a brain, a functioning one.
See you on Facebook.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope John feels better soon. We watch a bit of local news and some National news but I can tune it out quite successfully:) I hope you have a wonderful day, looks like nicer weather here, so I can soak up some sun! Yes two weeks til Thanksgiving and after that we move North...I already started a pile of stuff that has to go along!

John's Island said...

I enjoy reading the comments left by others. Thanks to Linda, I learned about Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Had never heard of it and, of course, looked it up on Google. Isn’t it great to have so much knowledge available at the click of a few buttons? Anyway, NPH symptoms include several things that seem to attack seniors and, usually, they wonder where the problem is. I recommend reading up on it. Next, I am with you about cutting back on watching the evening news. We have recently switched over from ABC to NPR and find the News Hour more palatable. They don’t seem to focus on the radical and, of course, skipping the overload of commercials is nice too. Yes, we should send them a contribution to say thanks for that. Let’s hope Bellingham John gets out of the hospital soon. Happy week ahead to you.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like your list. It helps to be in touch with your spiritual side and limit negativity.

Elephant's Child said...

Poor John. Over the years through your blog he has become very dear to me. I hope the medicos are able to settle his medication.
I too step away from the news. I can change nothing and dwelling in it grinds me down.
I hope your week is packed with joy and beauty.

Tabor said...

After reading your posts, I realize that flexibility is your strength. Your spirituality is important, but your ability to adapt is what makes you great.

Gigi said...

Sending hopes that John is back on his feet soon! That is very discouraging to be sick, get well and then get sick again!

Have a wonderful week, my friend!

Red said...

We have to watch news . we have to be informed in some ways. I know there's lots of very sad news. Like you, I don't think it's going to get much better before we die. With that dark comment I wish you a good week.

Nellie said...

I am not sure if I have ever commented, though I have read your posts in the past. I love your attitude! We were once avid watchers of the news, but rarely watch any longer. I’ll stand with you on that soapbox anytime!!

Rebecca said...

I think I could've written this post. I too quit watching the evening news because it's too depressing. My husband still watches Lester every night, I leave the room and go read a book.

I live in Virginia and was VERY HAPPY with the outcome of our elections...it gave me a little hope for 2024.

I also only like to watch uplifting shows and I really enjoyed Nyad. I also enjoyed Beckham...I never knew much about English football. I'm looking forward to The Crown and the new season of All Creatures Great and Small.

You are so well for your age because you exercise and have a great attitude. I'm 71 and walk 5 miles everyday and attend a yoga class 3 times a week. So far so good, I hope I can keep it up and maintain good health.

And lastly, I'm having 4 guests for Thanksgiving dinner so a total of 6 of us and I ordered the dinner from Whole Foods. I have never done this before but I'm tired of cooking a big turkey and meal. I hope it goes well.

I read your blog regularly but never comment but this post spoke to me.

Take care and keep doing what your are doing!

Ratings said...

Your post addressed exactly what I needed. Grateful for your relevance.