I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, January 12, 2020

A change in the weather

Rain is easily dealt with
Today we are under a winter storm warning, with extremely cold air coming down from British Columbia, and lots of wind to go along with it. Right now, however, the situation is pretty normal, with rain and relatively mild temperatures. That is all supposed to change this afternoon. We've got not only cold and wind on the way, but it looks like our familiar rain will turn to snow.

I know that many of my blog family has been dealing with situations much worse than what we've got ahead for the next few days, but we are quite spoiled, with the usual Pacific Northwest mild temperatures in retreat and subfreezing temperatures expected for the highs every day. Yikes! My friend Judy and I are heading off to the theater to see Little Women at noon. If the forecasts are correct, we'll come out of the theater to a much different world than when we enter.

We try to see all the movies and performances that are likely to be nominated for Oscars, and there are quite a few that we haven't seen yet. Some are available for streaming and not in the theaters: I've already seen The Irishman and Marriage Story online and have a few more to see that way. The world is definitely changing, and I suspect that every year there will be more and more movies available right away for streaming, rather than needing to head to a theater. It's a little sad, in a way, because I really enjoy the community experience.

But there's no stopping progress, the changes that are coming every day, every week, and every year. Maybe it's because I've seen so much change already during my lifetime that I have become a happy traveler through these upheavals. Well, maybe not "happy" to see what is happening around the world today, but reconciled to the world under my feet no longer feeling quite so solid. I often use books and movies to distract myself from the world situation, and I have a daily routine that comforts me and keeps me busy.

That is not to say that I am not engaged with current politics, but there is just so much I can tolerate before it begins to drag me down, which does no good for anybody, especially me. My yoga classes have begun again after the holiday break, and they help a lot. It's interesting that I have purchased all the necessary props for me to have a daily practice here at home, but I just can't seem to do it without the impetus of a class, with a teacher and fellow students. Maybe one day that will change, but for now I have two classes a week that I look forward to.

My back problems have receded, with help from the talented bodywork professionals that I have discovered over the years. I actually have days when I have little to no discomfort anywhere. I went on a nine-mile hike last Thursday, and although I was exhausted at the end of the day, I was pleased that my knees and back held up passably well. Today is my rest day, where I don't try to reach my usual step goal of 10,000 (although sometimes I do inadvertently), so I won't be heading to the gym or yoga studio, just to the movies with Judy. That, of course, is after my excursion to the coffee shop, which does so much more than just give me a chance to ingest caffeine; I also interact with the staff and my coffee shop friends. The same people show up and sit in the same spots we usually inhabit, giving the beginning of my day a reassuring shape. I do hope this community will continue for a long time to come.

Once this cold snap passes, we should return to our usual winter fare of rain, with snow piling up in the mountains and leaving us alone here at sea level. I am not looking forward to the need for plenty of warm weather gear, and I just remembered that I have run out of Hot Hands and need to order some more. (I just clicked over to Amazon and ordered some.) These are invaluable for our winter hikes. Some people also use toe warmers along with hand warmers. These ingenious little packages last for up to ten hours and are nice to place in pockets or even inside mittens to keep us warm and toasty. Although they only are good for one use, that one use makes all the difference. One more item I don't think I want to go without.

Well, it's about time for me to think about making my way to the coffee shop. I'll pull out my down jacket, warm gloves, hat, and muffler to wrap around my neck. I hope I enjoy the movie this afternoon, since I've heard mixed reviews from friends who have already seen it. And then, once I'm home, I'll hunker down with a good book and hope the change in the weather will come and go quickly. Tomorrow I'll be riding the bus and not taking a chance on driving, so that someone else will be at the wheel.

My beloved lies here next to me, not asleep at the moment but on his way back to slumberland, while I make my way up and out of bed. Tea is gone, my willingness to brave the weather gearing up and catapulting me into the day ahead. I do hope that you, my dear friends, will stay safe and comfortable until we meet again next week. Be well until then.

21 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Enjoy your snow and the Movie! It has been years since I went to the Movie Theater. Adam and I used to go together! I am so glad that your aches and pains are gone! Have a great week stay warm!

Marie Smith said...

We are having a milder winter than usual. They harbour hasn’t frozen yet.

Gear up for the cold and venture forth, Jan. Don’t let the cold keep you back. If we allowed it to keep us back we’d be stuck in the house for months.

Linda Reeder said...

We really liked this new version of Little Women. Let us know what you think.
We watched Marriage Story this week on Netflix and plan to watch The Irishman, in several sittings since it is so long. Then we;re waiting to see which movies are nominated. I'm sure we will not make it to all of them, since we seldom keep up with movies throughout the year like you do.
We're off soon to a celebratory brunch in Tacoma, celebrating Isaac's birthday. Then I'd like to be able to walk off some of that over eating before we come back home. We;ll have Seahawks to watch later this afternoon.
I'm sure all of the kids are wondering if they will have school tomorrow. Grocery shelves are emptying. Will it be another Snowmageddon? Or a fizzle? Or somewhere in between?

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

So flag health is back and your daily busy life is on track.Enjoy the movie and don’t get stuck in the snow

Rian said...

We had "severe weather warnings" and "possible tornado watches and warnings" all day Friday here in North Texas. Lucky for us, all we ended up with was thunder, lightning, and rain. They even closed schools and closed the zoo, etc. But better safe than sorry, yes? It was 70F Friday and 31F Saturday morning with a light snow. Strange.
Really glad your back issues are handled successfully. And you seem to know what you need to get you through the cold (hot hands, etc.). Have a wonderful Sunday and enjoy your coffee and your movie!

Glenda Beall said...

So glad your back issues are better. I am still dealing with mine but my knee is much better and I am walking on my own - no cane, not chair, just being careful. We had a storm last night that scared my little Lexie for hours, but today is beautiful. I think the high will be near sixty. In January? Climate change is showing up in a big way, I think. Have a great day. Stay warm.

Bonnie said...

It's good to hear your back is better. I hope you enjoy the movie and stay warm while you are out. We had snow yesterday with temps in the teens. Our weather changes so much here in Missouri we never know what to expect. Enjoy your day!

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elephant's Child said...

I am thrilled to hear that your body is playing nicely.
Enjoy the movie. And the snow.
I chuckled to read that you reach your 10,000 steps even on a rest day. Your active self fills me with awe.

William Kendall said...

Here today we've been having more snow.

Gigi said...

What odd weather we are all having - today was near 70 in NC...practically unheard of - we get some mild days during the winter but shorts weather?!

I hope you enjoyed the movie and I would love to hear your thoughts. The odds of me seeing it in the theater is slim to none, sadly.

Have a great week.

Red said...

Your rain looks cold and miserable. We had a high of minus 29 C today and windy. I was out. It was ok except for the wind. It was hard on the face.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, One of the things I love about Eye on the Edge is the way you are able to put into words the way I'm feeling and do a better job of it than I could. :-) For example, today you said, "Maybe it's because I've seen so much change already during my lifetime that I have become a happy traveler through these upheavals. Well, maybe not "happy" to see what is happening around the world today, but reconciled to the world under my feet no longer feeling quite so solid. I often use books and movies to distract myself from the world situation, and I have a daily routine that comforts me and keeps me busy." That is so absolutely true for me too! I look forward to every new edition of Eye. Well, the week ahead may be challenging for us. It's now Sunday evening, 7:15 PM and I see no snow outside altho they are predicting up to 3 inches by morning for us here in Seattle. I do think I'm prepared and hope the same for you. Take good care and be safe. Your blogging friend, John

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Hope the movie was fun and storm held back. Glad you continue to be so. busy with a strong routine. I am way lazier now. We have another move this spring . Ugh,

gigi-hawaii said...

That sounds like bad weather, but you are prepared for the worst. Those hand warmers sound good.

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you have your back and knee whipped into submission. You go girl. I kind of envy you the snow and know you won't let it ground you.
There was a time when I knew all the Oscar movies also but since I am so far from a theater here all I can say now is that I have seen all the trailers. Nothing like the theater atmosphere.
Stay safe and warm.

Annsterw said...

Rain rain go away! UGH! We are having the same weather here and it is getting colder. Barre class helps me too just like yoga is helping you.

Rita said...

I'll be waiting to hear how you like the new version of Little Women.

I still remember the amazing transistor radios you could carry in your bag with you! And the shift from records to cassettes you could play in small portable players or even in your car! When phones could be disconnected from the wall! When we suddenly had more than 4-5 TV channels! When personal computers could be right in people's homes and not take up an entire cooled room! The amazing assortment before your eyes at the local video store! Netflix could mail you a movie! The Internet still boggles my mind. It's all magical and dazzling and amazing! What does the future hold?

Linda Myers said...

I'm watching your weather with some envy; I love snow. Very glad your back issues are resolving. Mine are too, thanks to physical therapy. My yoga class starts up again this week also.

A nine-mile hike! and 10,000 steps! I am IMPRESSED!

Galen Pearl said...

Hot Hands--a winter essential! I have them at my cabin for hikes, and in my car in case of emergency. My hikes, however, are a lot tamer than yours. I can walk a four mile round trip from my cabin without driving to a trail. I don't like to get in the car while I'm at the cabin, so this little walk suits me fine. I always enjoy your Sunday reflections.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, I wasn't aware that movies could be "streamed" on the computer. And I really don't know what that means or how to do it so I think I need to start using google to find out about that. Because I don't drive and only one person I know likes to go out to movies, I seldom get to see them in theaters, although a year or two after they're released, I can get the DVD from our wonderful library.

I'm going today with my sister-in-law (the one movie goer) to see Little Women. I'll be interested in what you thought about it. Peace.