I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Winter sunrise

Outside the coffee shop
On Friday, I decided to walk in the wind and rain to the bus to get to the coffee shop. I knew that otherwise I probably wouldn't make my step target for the day, since I was scheduled for a massage and needed to skip my usual aerobics class. This pretty winter's morning picture caught my eye and I snapped it with my cellphone. Since it's always with me, I sometimes get pictures I would otherwise miss. I am a fan of all the lights on the trees that my town puts up during the holidays. They will all be gone by the end of the month, and I'll miss them.

At this latitude, we are gaining more than a minute of daylight every day which, if you add it up, makes for ten minutes a week more light in the sky than we had on the darkest day of the season, December 21. We are in the midst of a mild and windy (and wet) period, but the temperature is supposed to fall and the rain will become snow in the High Country. That should make skiers happy; it's been a slow season so far.

This past week was one of plenty of body work: I saw the chiropractor on Monday, as I hoped; Tuesday was an acupuncture treatment, and Friday was a wonderful massage. My back is almost 100% better, with only an occasional residual twinge after having been in such pain for a week. I think the chiropractic adjustment was very helpful. I've now seen Russell Maxwell three or four times over the past decade, and he always helps with the sacroiliac joint pain. This latest time was no exception, and I smiled when he handed me the teddy bear to hold while he made the adjustment. Such a sweet little gesture and completely appropriate for patients like me who are a bit squeamish about the whole ordeal.

I am definitely still in a phase shift about posting on my other blog. In taking a break from my three-times-a-week schedule, I find that I'm truly needing to let myself be more spontaneous and not so rigid. I almost wrote a post out of duty yesterday, but somehow the day slipped by and it never got done. This morning I realize I feel relief but am still not liberated from the decade-long task I've set for myself. On Thursdays I always write about my Senior Trailblazer hike, so that's still happening, and I'm wondering why I don't just allow the rest of the week to flow naturally. Once I'm through this phase, it will be different, I just don't know how quite yet.

I have other blogging friends who are changing up their schedule or deciding how and when to post. One dear friend has stopped allowing comments on his posts, and I find myself feeling frustrated, because I want to communicate with him and cannot. To me, comments are an essential part of blogging; I can read what someone wrote and let them know what I think about it immediately, whether they live in Australia or just down the highway. The community aspect of blogging is part of what I love about it. Although I'll never see most of you in person, it's not an important aspect of our interaction. The sharing of one's daily life with me enriches my own immeasurably. And we are all so different! It makes me aware of how many ways there are to be in the world. Right now I am terrified for my Australian friend who lives in Canberra and is seeing her entire country go up in fire, with so many homes and lives lost, both human and animal. Somewhere I read that up to half a billion wildlife are probably gone, with no end in sight. Knowing my blogging friend makes the headlines personal. How I wish I could send her some of our rain!

Today I should finish a 720-page novel that has gripped me by the shoulders and won't let go. This is not a book I would recommend, but I care so much about the characters that the author has created that I cannot help but finish it. The book is A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, and it's probably the saddest book I've ever read. Because I am so invested in the characters, I decided to read reviews of the book before finishing it, and I discovered what's yet to come. In a way, it helps me to know so that I can decide whether to just put the book down (which I won't, having gotten through 500 pages), or now that I am braced for the rest of it, lay it down once it's finished, having come to love all four main characters that Hanya created. I will soon be released from her world.

Today I'll also find some light and cheerful movie to stream as I come back into the other side of life, the happy and optimistic side. Yes, I know that life is complicated, it's certainly that way for most of us. I've dealt with loss, and perhaps that's why I know that the characters and the lives in the book are doing the best they can in horrific circumstances. In most cases, things get better with time, and there are always ways to cope with trauma, if one can make it through the hardest parts intact. I am praying for our glorious blue planet and hope that we can find the rich joy that is possible in our everyday lives.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. —Havelock Ellis
And with that quote, I leave you for yet another Sunday, looking forward to what the coming week will bring. As I listen to my dear partner sleeping next to me, I know that I am truly blessed, and on this day I will not forget to look around at everything and give thanks for all that I can hold onto, and let go. Until next week, dear friends, I wish you all good things.

21 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

So glad you are feeling better! Yes the lights are so welcome in the late night or early morning darkness. On my way home late on bingo nights there are three homes near the highway that are all decorated with Christmas lights and I look forward to seeing them.

Yes those fires are so horrific. How will they ever recover and the poor animals it is so sad. I play an online game with several people from western Australia and they are not affected by fires yet.

I hope you have a wonderful week:)

Tabor said...

I wonder if I should be more proactive with my body. Your back rubs, acupuncture, etc. sounds very luxurious. And it obviously is getting you through some tough times!! I have acquaintances and bloggers in Australia and I am so sick about it all!!

Marie Smith said...

I didn’t stick to my blogging schedule over the holidays and I felt as if something was wrong. I am a creature of habit.

It is great that you know how to rehab any injuries you suffer. I do the same with my knees after injury. Knowing what works keeps me away from meds which I prefer not to take.

gigi-hawaii said...

I used to read books, usually memoirs, not novels. But, I don't have the patience to plow through a book anymore. I feel the same way about movies. I prefer to blog and read other bloggers' work. I like to google for information and read the newspaper. I like to play my violin. I like to plan a party every now and then, figuring out the menu and the entertainment.

Linda Reeder said...

I'm glad that you are getting relief from your physical discomfort. And I agree with you about the value of blogging comments. Without them there is no relationship.
I am struggling this morning with emotional pain. I just got a text from my sister letting her siblings now that our brother-in-law is failing. Cancer treatment is not working. This morning Arnold is in ICU where they are working to stabilize him so that he can come home under Hospice care. My dear sister will be a widow. Their children and their families will lose a man who is greatly loved and an integral art of their daily lives.
I am sad.

Rian said...

DJan, I can see how those holiday lights would be welcome on your walk to the bus. We took down our tree and lights today. We always push it to the weekend after New Years to get the most out of 'that holiday feeling'. The den always looks a little lonely with the tree gone. I'm so glad your back is better. Mine is too... although it still bothers me at night. I would love to get a real back massage (hubby does feet for me every Sunday evening - love it).
And yes, comments are a great read too when it comes to blogs. I always go back to check them on my own as well as fellow blogs. Right now hoping someone might come up with an answer to Julie's mysterious ailment.

Arkansas Patti said...

You seem to have found the correct combination to put your back right again. So happy for you that you are doing so well. Know what you mean about no comments. I got frustrating when I got as many spams as I got last week but I could never go for none. I so enjoy the give and take of comments. I have a long time blog buddy that has gone that way. At least she does show her email account so I can comment that via email. Takes away from the spontaneity though.

Elephant's Child said...

How I love that photo of the lights. Thank you.
And thank you for your good wishes.
The friends I have found here in the blogosphere (you included of course) have become very, very dear to me. I laugh with them. I weep for and with them. They enrich my world.
I am very glad your pain has eased. Long may it continue. And hugs.

Bonnie said...

How wonderful that your back is doing better. Follow your heart and your instincts with your other blog. When we force ourselves it becomes a chore. I agree with you about the community aspect of blogging. I've always wanted to start a blog and yet have been somehow afraid to take the step. This year on January first I took the plunge but I will try to not be rigid with how often I post. I simply want to enjoy sharing with my lovely blog friends! You have a special talent and honesty in your sharing and I love that.

Mary in Colorado said...

I really enjoy reading your posts on both your blogs but especially Eye On the Edge !, I'd miss you very much if you disappeared. You have a very interesting life,a real wisdom about the world around us and you talk about many things that confront most of us. I hope you don't stop... but adjust your frequency perhaps!! Among other things I'd miss your book reviews!! Mary in Colorado

Frank said...

You are a good example, an inspiration for me to follow. I like the way you make adjustments in your life. Your ability to see beauty in simple things like lights in the morning They do look different don't they. It made me want to start getting up before first light to experience the fresh new day. But, I'm not a morning person.

Gigi said...

So very glad to hear that the back is doing better! What a wonderful way to start the week.

I agree with you regarding comments - it is frustrating but I imagine the blogger's that do it have their reasons...even if it is maddening to the readers who want to comment and can't.

That book sounds horrifying and also compelling. I will add it to my list and think about it for a bit.

Have a wonderful week my friend.

Red said...

Good to hear that the back is almost better. On e has to keep to some kind of schedule fro blogging or things will gradually cease. I wonder how many blogs make it past 100 posts. How many blogs are active for ten years. What makes a good blog? Yes I really like blog comments. I've learned much from the comments whee people see something else in the topic.

Mary said...

I follow many blogs and all allow comments, which I think is vitally important to a blog. To me that’s what forms a community and if there is a problem with certain comments or commenters , you simply block them by reviewing the comment first.

Some I follow won’t let me sign into my google account and therefore I can’t comment and this is very frustrating to me. Yours has it correct, so thanks.

Glad your back is better. Sounds like you have a great team to help

Trish MacGregor said...

I find that I'm only interested these days in uplifting books and movies!

Rita said...

Lights sparkling in the darkness are always special.

Getting the comments are the biggest connection for me as a blogger. Maybe they have been hit by spam bots? The newest ones go through and make a single comment on hundreds of your posts.

Glad your back is better! :)

Galen Pearl said...

Happy New Year, DJan!

Wow, you were posting three times a week on your other blog?! Plus this one?! Yeah, good to give yourself a break if you need it.

I know what you mean about comments. A good friend stopped allowing comments on his blog and, like you said, I miss being able to communicate that way. I always appreciate the comments on my blog posts, although I do block comments on the poetry posts--those just seems to stand alone. But I find that commenters add to the discussion and help me see things in an expanded or a different way. Or perhaps they just stop by to say hi and that's fine too.

Sorry that your year is starting in some discomfort with your back, and I hope that gets resolved quickly.

William Kendall said...

I only know of one other blogger who doesn't allow comments on their page.

I'm running behind in reading blogs at the moment, being away from home, but also being under the weather. I've been dealing with a sinus infection since before New Year's.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, as I age, I realize more and more the validity and truth of that statement you quoted. Aging is a long school of learning how and when and why to let go. And there is such a variety of people/places/events/thoughts/hopes/heartwishes that we need to let go of. But also we must hold on to certain things and that is another school of learning into which I've now registered! Peace and happy new year.

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Blessings and Happy New Year.
I enjoy blogging and seeing peoples perspective on what i write in the form of their comments. I like the interaction and often answer their comments. I share some of those frustrations when i see something interesting and i am not able to comment. That's the beauty of choice.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan and Happy New Year to you. I enjoyed this edition of Eye on the Edge for several reasons, but mostly the topic of “comments”. John’s Island is starting its tenth year and you have been one of my most loyal and appreciated followers. I have always looked forward to your comments and, actually, feel a bit guilty this morning for taking so long to return the courtesy for comments you’ve left for me recently. Last August I started a “blog break” which ended up lasting for 5 months … longer than I expected when I first started it. When I restarted, in the last couple of weeks, I did not take comments on a few posts so I think I may be the blogger you are mentioning in this edition of Eye. :-) I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but your weekly publication of Eye has had a significant effect on how I blog. I recall, years ago, reading for the first time, your Profile and that first sentence, “Not going for brevity, or to satisfy anyone but myself, I want to find out who I am by examining how I got here, who I used to be, and who I want to become before I die.” I have always thought that to be perfection when setting a goal for blogging. The part of this I especially lean into is not trying to satisfy anyone but myself. I’m not selling anything nor trying to accumulate “likes” or followers. The issue I have with comments is that some folks will leave me a comment with the sole purpose of getting me to look at their blog. I occasionally find myself looking at a blog that is, honestly, a waste of time. So, to make a long story longer, and I apologize, :-) when I turned off comments I noticed that the number of pageviews stayed about the same, which told me folks were not going away just because they could not comment. And, since, over the years, most of the comments I get are from bloggers I do want to hear from, like yourself, I thought restoring the conversation was the right thing to do. I guess the bottom line (and sorry for taking so long to get here) is that your comments on comments are right on the money! Thanks, as always, for sharing Eye on the Edge, and for keeping an eye on John’s Island. And, next time you do leave me a comment I hope you will let me know if this explanation helped.