I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Love, loss, and laughter

Lake Padden in late January
Yesterday we ladies met at Lake Padden to take our two laps around together in the rain. I think the last several weeks we've dealt with either snow and cold weather, or rain and warmth. We haven't seen much of the sun lately, but I much prefer the warm weather to the ice and harsh winds. You can see we had low clouds and a little rain, but mostly it was pretty darn perfect.

I noticed that my friend Linda did not have her dog with her, and I learned that she had to put Riley to sleep this past week, as his liver cancer had progressed far enough to cause him to be in a lot of pain and with no further treatment possible. I loved that dog, too, and grieve for his loss. It seems like many of us are going through similar difficulties. A blogging friend just lost her brother-in-law to a quick cancer death, too, and she is grieving along with her sister. I have several other blogging friends who are dealing with loss, both of their own health, or with loved ones leaving us behind.

It's part of life. If you love (and we all do), you must sometimes be the one holding the memories of happier times, and sometimes it's us ourselves dealing with our own losses of health and mobility. The older I get, I keep thinking it will get easier, but it doesn't. We wish we could stay young, vibrant and healthy forever. It doesn't work that way. We wish our loved ones would never suffer, and that in a perfect world, none of us would ever die. But then there would be no room for the new ones, and all of life would be stagnant and much less precious. We all must join the progression from birth to death, living our own unique dashes (the time between these events) in the most authentic ways we can.

No one who has lived long enough to have gray hair and wrinkles has escaped the struggle of trying to find a way to both let go of our loved ones and holding on to our precious memories. The hole in our lives will eventually ease up, but we can never journey back to the same place we were before. The interesting thing about it all is that we still find ways to love as fully as ever, maybe even more so, because we have been reminded that these moments we have are priceless and only exist for a short while. I intend to make the most of every minute of every day, and that means taking stock every once in awhile and looking for the little nuggets of life that sustain me.
I have always felt that laughter in the face of reality is probably the finest sound there is and will last until the day when the game is called on account of darkness. In this world, a good time to laugh is any time you can. —Linda Ellerbee
Yes, that's one of my favorite ways to cope with life's ups and downs: laughter. When I'm feeling really down, I know that if I can find the humor in the situation or in anything at all, I'll feel better. A good book that takes me outside of myself, or a funny movie that gives me a belly laugh or two, is a balm to my spirit. And it's not even cheating, since laughing and crying are definitely preferable to shutting down and feeling nothing.

One thing I have learned is that whatever I might be experiencing right now won't last all that long. Whether it's being hungry, or being too full, that will change before too long. Whether it's being sad and angry, or being filled with mirth, these are all transient emotions that will change over short periods of time. That makes me feel a bit better when that old familiar squeeze of sadness touches my heart. I know that I will also be feeling its expansion in love and happiness before too long. It's sort of like the weather: wait awhile and it will change.

I am no stranger to either loss or abundance. Like most of us, the times I crave the most are those when I have my loved ones surrounding me, and we are all laughing together. Those periods in life that I can recall with immense fondness, even when those loved ones who have moved on, these memories are priceless treasures that I will enjoy for as long as I live. If this were my last day, I realize that I have been given so much that I could hardly ask for more in this life.

And with that, dear friends, I realize that I've written another early Sunday morning meditation that I hope will leave you with some joy. Remember that whatever you are going through right now, it's part of being a whole person, and that tomorrow will be different. And don't forget to give thanks for the ones you love, for they are always with you in your hearts. My dear partner sleeps quietly next to me, my tea is gone, and the coffee shop beckons. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things. Be well.

21 comments:

Rian said...

You are right about the laughing part, DJan. It lingers in our memories. My brother who passed away at 59 used to make me laugh so hard the tears would run down my face. I miss that... and him.

John's Island said...

"The older I get, I keep thinking it will get easier, but it doesn't." That's something I've been thinking for the last few years stated perfectly in one short sentence. Another excellent example of why your writing is great and why I enjoy Eye on the Edge so much.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Please give my best to Linda, losing a much loved pet is very difficult....sometimes I think it is worse than losing a person.
Laughter is the best medicine! Keep your face to the sun and a smile on your face. I know that is really hard some days for many people.
Have a wonderful week!

Marie Smith said...

I’ve come to rely on your musings over tea on a Sunday morning, Jan. They help me put things in perspective.

It’s been a hard week. My best friend here has received a diagnosis of cancer and must wait for the healthcare system to accommodate her. I will support her through this but we don’t know what to expect yet of course. Scary times for all of us who love and support her. I can only imagine how she feels.

gigi-hawaii said...

Oh, cancer is terrible. I have seen how it tortures people. But, what you say about laughter is so true.

Elephant's Child said...

An emphatic yes from here.
Laughter (sometimes inappropriate?) has been my lifeline often. I hope it always will be.
I believe that we never grief changes us. The question is not how to get over it but how to live with it. And we can, though some days it seems to bite just as hard as when it was new and fresh.
I hope your week to come is filled with love and laughter. And exercise.

Glenda Beall said...

Laughter is a wonderful tonic. I have had my share with a witty husband, sisters and brothers who could always make me laugh. Today, living alone with my little Lexie, I rely on her to bring on the laughter. She never fails me. I am so sorry for your friend who has last her beloved pet. We grieve for our pets just as we grieve for other family members and close friends. It takes time. You loved this pet also and I offer my sympathy to you. I know how I have grieved when the dear dogs that belonged to my sister have died. I grieved for her and for myself.
Today is a dark and dreary day here but I have tried to make good use of my time with small tasks that need to be done. I look forward to a week with more fun and laughter and I wish that for you, too.

Linda Reeder said...


Thank you, DJan.
I find myself forgetting to think about my sister's loss and then I feel guilty, because my sister is living with such deep sadness and loss. But then I realize that it is our purpose to move on, and in talking to my sister I realize that even as she grieves, she is moving on too, making plans for her future.

William Kendall said...

Wisely said, DJan.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so sorry your friend lost her dog. Was that little white dog in your last post him? I too believe laughter is the healing balm that gets us through life. Sure wouldn't mind going out with a smile on my face.

Red said...

You have much experience dealing with loss. we can listen to you. sometimes it's very hard to remain up beat.

The Furry Gnome said...

No it certainly doesn't get easier as you get older!

Trish MacGregor said...

Beautiful post, DJan! If you get a chance,read the novel Scythe - young adult but it relates to what you're talking about here. In the world of Scythe, natural death has been conquered. Only the Scythes can deliver death.

Tabor said...

I am not as good at laughing as I should be but I realize its healing properties. Hubby was helping me with medicine for my ear infection and he is a bit of a forgetful one these days. We spent 10 minutes looking for the cap to the ointment after he was done. I remember thinking I should see the humor in this as he had neaver left the front of the couch where I lay to allow the ointment to flow down into my ear. When I finally got up I saw the cap on teh back cushion of the couch...not the place I would have left it, but you have to laugh.

Galen Pearl said...

A lovely meditation on impermanence. Last year I engaged in what I called an apprenticeship with sorrow. I let grief be my teacher. I learned to accept what comes, to allow the sadness over loss. What I experienced was an integration of grief into the fabric of life, and in that way it was easier when the struggle and resistance were released.

Rita said...

So sorry about Linda's dog.
I totally agree! I don't think I would have survived if it wasn't for laughter and being able to see the humorous side. I have had to remind myself at times, but finding that delight in life keeps me going. :)

Gigi said...

This whole post - but particularly, that last paragraph - resonated with me today. Thank you.

Have a wonderful week, DJan!

Anvilcloud said...

Good post. Losses happen, but we soldier on as best we can. Coffee with friends helps.

Deb said...


Beautiful post DJan. We have no choice but to live with whatever circumstances life hands us, even when they are terribly painful. Using precious time and energy fighting what *is* only compounds and magnifies our sorrows and deepens our grief. The only true constant in life is change, and if we are to be happy we must adapt and be grateful for the joys of the day. Thank you for this post.

Deb

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I know from past blogs you have had some very sad losses. But as you say loss is part of life. Then focusing on joy and laughter may help to move on. This was a very touching post. Hugs

Steven Linda said...

’ve noticed I’ve finally been able to work through some OLD trauma of poverty that I’ve had to endure over the years. My hubby and I would vent because there was no money to pay bills and take care of the kids. But I used a lottery spell and gave the lottery numbers to LORD SAN, I ordered a spell a lottery spell from this MONEY TEMPLE and LORD SAN gave me the real winning numbers just few hours after i gave him the numbers. Then i played and won 58 millions dollars. I have bought a house and so many other things and also dedicate some of the money to the motherless babies. I have Played 3 lotteries and won the 3. LORD SAN has brought joy to my life and my family. we now live in peace. moneytemple@outlook.com, WHATSAPP MESSAGE/CALL: +447482854279 for more information Website; https://thetempleofmoney.com/














’ve noticed I’ve finally been able to work through some OLD trauma of poverty that I’ve had to endure over the years. My hubby and I would vent because there was no money to pay bills and take care of the kids. But I used a lottery spell and gave the lottery numbers to LORD SAN, I ordered a spell a lottery spell from this MONEY TEMPLE and LORD SAN gave me the real winning numbers just few hours after i gave him the numbers. Then i played and won 58 millions dollars. I have bought a house and so many other things and also dedicate some of the money to the motherless babies. I have Played 3 lotteries and won the 3. LORD SAN has brought joy to my life and my family. we now live in peace. moneytemple@outlook.com, WHATSAPP MESSAGE/CALL: +447482854279 for more information Website; https://thetempleofmoney.com/