I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Continuing to examine my life

My guy and me on my 75th birthday
How is it possible that two years have passed since this picture was taken? I think we still look pretty much the same, but it really does astound me how quickly the years fly by as I get older. In two years, my friend Leo from the coffee shop has changed from a pre-teen to a young man. I can see the change so easily when I look at him. He doesn't much care to engage with us old folks any more, but it was only a decade ago that I dandled him on my knee.

It's nice to look at pictures to see times past, long ago and not so long ago. As you know, I take pictures with my cellphone almost daily to chronicle my current life. And as anybody knows who has been around for long, things change and nothing is permanent. That's both a good thing and a bit scary, when you consider that our short time being alive is rushing right on by, inexorably carrying us from the present to our unknown future.

One of my blogging friends put a picture of a yellowed newspaper cutting in a post that has got me thinking. Since Trish MacGregor of Synchrosecrets and her husband write books (as well as their blog) about synchronicity and other supernatural phenomena, I have followed them for a long time. This particular item is worthy of examination. In the Tacoma News Tribune on April 11, 1953, this short little article appeared:
There'll Be No Escape in Future from Telephones: (Pasadena, AP) Mark Sullivan, President and Director of Pacific Telephone and Telegraph said in an address Thursday night: "Just what form the future telephone will take is, of course, pure speculation. Here is my prophecy: in its final development, the telephone will be carried about by the individual, perhaps as we carry a watch today. It will probably require no dial or equivalent, and I think the users will be able to see each other if they want, as they talk. Who knows but what it may actually translate from one language to another?"
When he made this uncanny prophecy about our phones, it would have seemed impossible to fathom how this might come about. In 1953, we didn't even have computers, much less those little magical devices we take for granted, carried around like yesterday's watch. When I started working at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in 1979, I remember we typed manuscripts onto Selectric typewriters, without so much as a a floppy disk in sight. Then we went to our first "computers," Micom, which allowed us to transfer our typing onto an 8-inch floppy disk and insert it into a huge machine that typed out the manuscript, one character at a time. That was the beginning, and we quickly moved to personal computers. Well, "quickly" took several years.

And now I sit here with this lovely little laptop, which is rapidly becoming obsolete. I will probably replace it with a later version sometime this year, but I still am often astounded at how much has changed during my own lifetime. Who knows what the future holds? I remember that sometime in the 1980s, I went into the bowels of NCAR's basement to examine its Cray Computer, which took up a space about the size of half of a football field. It needed to be supercooled because otherwise it would burn up. I still remember walking around the dark towers of computing technology in awe.

These days, I have a smartphone that I carry with me everywhere, and it not only allows me to call someone whenever I have internet connection, but it also allows me to ask questions or get information instantly. The telephone aspect is rather incidental to my use of it. I also have a tablet, an iPad, that allows me to stream movies and news whenever I have internet. These items have become essential to my daily life, and they are not likely to be left behind as I continue to take a look at what's become extraneous to my enjoyment of life.

Yesterday I watched several episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on my tablet, which is currently set in 1960. The difference in life today and back then kept reminding me of how much has changed since those days. If you haven't been watching the series, you probably don't know much about her, a young woman who decides to become a standup comic. That was simply not done by many women back then. The character of Lenny Bruce, a comic I remember from those days, has been re-introduced to the series, and he becomes a mentor and friend to Midge Maisel. I woke in the middle of the night (it happens often to me) and suddenly remembered that the real Lenny Bruce died at a young age in 1966. I wonder if the series will be around in that time period and how they will deal with it. (That link in the beginning of this paragraph is to a Washington Post article that examines the question.)

The series has reminded me about how much more people drank back then, and how cigarettes were ubiquitous. I myself smoked for over a decade during the 1960s and 70s, and realized I would have to give it up if I wanted to stay healthy. It was a really hard journey to become free of nicotine, but I managed it over a period of years of backsliding. Research shows that after a few decades free of cigarettes, my lungs are probably no longer at risk of cancer. Of course, something is going to fail, as that is the inevitable direction of life. I do the best I can to keep myself healthy, but as the years pass, it gets harder to keep up.
You have power over your mind—not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.—Marcus Aurelius
I will continue to struggle to rid myself of old habits that hold me back from enjoying the life I share with my dear partner. It's coming along, but it's also interesting to notice what matters the most to me, what I definitely don't want to let go of. Part of what gives me pleasure is sitting every Sunday morning in my darkened bedroom writing this post. Time is passing, and the coffee shop beckons, as it always does early in the morning. My friends await.

And of course, with that, I must also remind all of us that the power of connection, family and friends, is the lifeblood of our happiness. My tea is long gone, he's over there snoring lightly, and it's time to start the rest of my day. Until we meet again next week, dear friends, be well and don't forget to count your blessings.

18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The change in technology is hard to keep up with but it keeps life interesting. My 87 year old MIL is using a lap top and an IPad too as well as a cell phone. She inspires me to keep up with it as best I can.

Linda Reeder said...

I started to say our smart phones are a miracle, but no. They are the product of genius, of curiosity and imagination, skill and research, perseverance and hard work. And they are amazing.
Change has come quickly in the last few decades. Makes you wonder what's next. Whatever it is, some of us will adapt, and some of us will settle into the now for our remaining years. I'm 75. We just bought new computers, and I have managed to learn most of what we needed to do to get them up and running the way we need them too.
But I'm not so sure about self-driving cars. :-)

Tabor said...

Perspective is what age give us. Wish we could share some of that insight with the young.

Rian said...

I too think cell phones are a miracle (a miracle of technology at any rate). And I agree that I use mine for almost everything but talking - never spent much time talking on the phone, but my kids call fairly regular so yes, I guess we do talk on them too. We no longer have a landline.
As for driver-less cars, I'm not too sure about that... nor drones delivering packages. I can imagine problems with all of these things. But perhaps time will work them all out. The world is definitely changing and changing fast. We do our best to keep up. But it will probably be our kids and grandkids that will face the good and the bad of it.

Elephant's Child said...

What an incredible prophecy. Nostradamus eat your heart out.
Enjoy your day/week/life. As you do. As you will.

gigi-hawaii said...

I always count my blessings. Yes, time does fly, especially when you are having fun.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That was some prediction in 1953! I am reminded of the Jetsons where they flew around from place to place and talked on TV type things to each other amid some static sometimes.

Times change and we must change along with them or get left in the dust!
I have seen that Miss Maisy on TV...but would rather watch Holiday Cooking Shows this time of year! Love the British ones!!
I hope you have a good week doing exactly what you want to do!

We have our usual three medical appts but Far Guy is not feeling at all well so we will see it will probably be more. I want to finish up stocking stuffers tomorrow and do a bit of business in town. And there is more snow to shovel and a shiny brite tree to decorate. I will be staying out of trouble for sure:)

Gigi said...

I love that photo of the two love birds!

Technology has come so far, so fast - at least lately. I remember using carbon paper back in the dark ages! So very glad there is no need for that anymore! It will be interesting to see how it evolves in the future.

Have a great week, DJan!

Linda Myers said...

We live in interesting times, don't we?

The Furry Gnome said...

That's your guy!? Handsome character!

Red said...

The rate at which technology develops increases all the time. I guess that's why our days and years happen to go by so rapidly.

dkzody said...

I love my smart phone, cannot imagine life now without it. I can leave my computer at home when we travel, but not my smart phone. Technology has certainly changed our life. I too want to live for a long time to see what else is coming.

Arkansas Patti said...

You two are such a great looking couple. Leo is a teen?? Wow time does fly and as they say, when you are over the hill you pick up speed.
I am still smart phone less. Mainly since there is no cell signal here and my laptop still runs Windows 7 but I love the easy access to information almost instantly and ease of communication. We have come so far, it is hard to imagine what is coming.

Trish MacGregor said...

I suspect we can't even imagine what's coming! But it sure is going to be interesting. Thanks for the mention, DJan.

Rita said...

Quite the prediction!
You guys look great. I know what you mean. Seems like Liam was just born and he's over two years old already. Goodness! Life seems so quick. ;)

Galen Pearl said...

Just read your current and your last post focusing on technology. So fascinating, isn't it? I remember when my main source of information was my multi-volume encyclopedia! And now I find that I peaked in my tech abilities a while back, and now as things get more complicated, I just let them go rather than try to keep up. Hence, I no longer have a TV. My laptop is ancient. I'm not on much of social media. My smart phone is much smarter than I am. I am in some ways returning to an earlier time, but keeping the new amenities that I like and know how to use.

Glenda Beall said...

At times I feel like Galen Pearl - all the rapid changes in technology is beginning to make me feel like giving up. I bought a new laptop and there is so much new on it, things I don't need, that it drives me nuts trying to use it. My husband was a communication addict and he loved anything new that dealt with communication technology. He had one of the first home computers and the first Blackberry. He worked with a cell phone company after he retired and loved seeing all the progress being made.
But, I don't take to change that well and especially not to technology and the language I just don't understand. There are parts I really like, but I feel we are being bombarded with too much information all day long. It stresses us out and has changed our culture in ways that are not good. But, as you say, change is inevitable and we must accept it.

William Kendall said...

Things change over time. I was reading a graphic novel yesterday, and a couple of the characters- heroes, mind you- were smoking. That would probably only be seen now in a handful of characters.