I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Winter musings

Advent calendar on my laptop
Looking for some inspiration for the first full day of winter (in my hemisphere, anyway), I visited the Jacquie Lawson Cotswold Advent calendar that was gifted to me by my blogging friend Dee Ready. It showed up in my e-mailbox right before my birthday, and I've been visiting it every morning since. Every day there is another delight to see, a game or a scene that shows the animated village of Cotswold, with puzzles and clues that enchant me for hours. First thing every day I go looking for the sheep hidden in the scene. This morning I see him there in the lower left. I click on him and he disappears, until I get to find him again tomorrow in another part of the scene.

This is the second year in a row that she has gifted me with this calendar. Many of the games are the same as last year's, but my memory had forgotten so much, until they popped back up into consciousness when I see them again. Memories are such strange phenomena, aren't they? Somewhere vast storerooms of my past lie dormant in my brain, and something jogs a memory loose and an explosion of thoughts fill my mind. There is so much available if I only knew how to access it all.

But why would I even want to do that? It's hard enough to remember where I put my shoes yesterday, and I guess my mental processes are conveniently taking old memories and storing them without my knowledge, so that I can concentrate on the present. Like so many other seniors, I fret sometimes that I'm losing my grip because I cannot remember names or where I just put my glasses. (They are often on top of my head and therefore invisible to me.) There is no doubt that some slippage has occurred, but right now it doesn't seem terribly worrisome. Many people my age experience mental cognitive decline.

A dear hiking friend has slipped into that state, and it's hard to watch him struggle to figure out how to put on his backpack, or remember how to use the car seat belt as we head up into the mountains. He no longer drives; his wife drops him off and then picks him up afterwards. We keep a close eye on him, and everyone is glad he can still get out and enjoy the outdoors, where he is himself again. It's odd what he remembers: names and faces are easy for him, but spatial orientation is slipping away fast.

Years ago I took one of those cognitive tests to determine the state of my own cognitive abilities, and the test was pretty easy for me, except for that pesky problem of counting backwards from 100 by seven. I just couldn't do it, until I figured out that I could count backwards by ten and then add three. Not exactly elegant, but I could manage. It just occurred to me that these days, there are probably plenty of online tests one can take to see how I'm doing. I might do that one day, if I can remember to (smile).

* * *
What is on my mind these days is how to keep myself from gaining any more weight during this holiday season. Mostly I allow myself anything I want, but that daily weigh-in has become annoying. It shows that I have definitely been eating more calories than I am burning. It's a problem that many of us experience at this time of the year. I read an article recently that studied whether getting on the scales often makes any difference. It said that yes, those in the study who weigh themselves daily gain less and have an easier time losing the excess weight. (I tried to find the article again and had no luck, but I'm glad to know it works.)

It does make a difference what I allow myself to eat on a day when the scale says I'm maintaining, and when I realize I've indulged too often. I weigh myself at the same time every day, after I have my tea and read the news on my laptop (or, in the case of Sunday mornings, after I write this post). If I've been particularly indulgent, I will hold onto the nearby table and ease myself on the scales. Not that it makes much difference, but I've been able to fool the scales once in awhile. I know when I see a number that doesn't make sense that I've got to get on again. I keep gaining and losing the same five pounds and I know by the way my clothes fit whether it's time to get serious.

However, the older I get, the less I seem to care about those extra pounds. Well, that's not exactly true: it still matters to me that I am able to keep my knees happy, and any extra weight makes it harder to walk up and down hills. I learned that every extra pound is a four-pound stress on my knees, which makes me hesitate when I get ready to bite into that wonderful Christmas cookie. Maybe it's true that a daily weigh-in helps to keep one honest. But I no longer feel like I need to get on the straight-and-narrow path of eating. Some people eat to live, and others live to eat. Mostly I see myself in the first group, but the enjoyment of good food helps me understand the second. Plus, food tastes better when you're hungry.

I found this lovely quote from Peace Pilgrim, which deals with the first and second parts of this post: "I don't eat junk foods and I don't think junk thoughts." If I could remember to follow her precept, I'd be a much happier person. She was quite an inspiration to me for years. If you don't know who she was, you can find out about Peace Pilgrim here. She was only 72 when she died, but she created a legacy of peace and wonder in the world that continues today.

And with her admonition, I finish today's post and look forward to what the rest of the day will be. Every single day is one to be treasured, and the company of good friends and family always lightens my heart during these dark days of winter. I hope you will have a wonderful holiday season, and that you will come back to visit me here next Sunday. Until then, be well, dear friends, and don't forget to count your blessings.

16 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

We all have senior moments, don't we? I am glad you still like to blog, because that's one way to keep dementia at bay.

Marie Smith said...

Writing is great brain exercise I believe and I always enjoy your musings Jan.

Arkansas Patti said...

I too enjoy the advent calendar that I bought for myself and the sheep is my goal also. I couldn't find him for several days and you inspired me to go look again. What I hadn't been doing is going slowly from upper to lower scene and today the rascal was in between.
Smiled at your subtract 10, add 3. I use that sometimes at night to sleep. I'm ready if ever asked.

Linda Reeder said...

I'm not sure I want to comment on weight gain or cognitive decline. :-)
Both trouble me, and I do weigh myself daily, as well as work puzzles in the newspaper and write blogs and comments and read articles and ....Still, I can forget momentarily the name of the friend sitting next to me. At least I still know where I am, if not,perhaps, where I was going and why I was going there. :-)
Marry Christmas. I'll be back before the new year.

Galen Pearl said...

Counting backwards by 10 and then adding 3--I am so doing that at my next physical! It's not cheating -- it is showing superior intelligence and problem solving skills! Loved all your reflections, as always. Merry Christmas and a most Happy New Year to you.

Elephant's Child said...

Loved that quote. Sadly I do have a little too much junk in my head (and on my hips).
Wonderful musings (as always) and I wish you the very best of the season - and all the seasons to come.
And yes, forgetting things DOES worry me. Until I forget.

William Kendall said...

Wisely said.

Gigi said...

I remember some *wise* person saying it would be better to ditch the scale and go by how your clothes fit. I gained a lot of weight when I did that...because it's just too easy to buy new clothes. Once I bought a scale and began weighing myself daily things returned to normal. I think daily weigh ins work for some but maybe not all. Clearly at this time of year, I like to think calories don't count - but, of course, they do. So I pick and choose where I indulge - because it is an indulgent season and we shouldn't martyr ourselves all the time. ;-)

Red said...

The only time I'm weighed is when I get my yearly medical check up. From yer to year I hope that I follow a routine without obsessing about. it. So far it's worked.

Trish MacGregor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trish MacGregor said...

Love these posts, DJan!

Cheryl said...

Haha. I had to write down the -10+3 formula to make sure it works.
Cheryl

Tabor said...

Yesterday I attended the birthday of an 80-year-old who has Parkinson's'. He is managing but moving very slowly and also having trouble with getting his fingers and hands to do what he wants. He is peaceful about it all and that I felt good about.

Rian said...

DJan, I too love Dee's advent calendar. I will admit though that I haven't checked it in a while (back pain kept me from doing much) but I intend to catch up today. As for the memory thing - well, I know that specific words (or names) slip away when I need them only to return much later (no longer needed). And as for memory tests - most of the time I'm afraid to take them. DH sometimes tells me that I've already seen that movie (but I'm not sure if that's true or he just doesn't want to watch it). As for the weight issue, I would never weigh myself every day... maybe every few weeks. I more or less depend on how my jeans fit... as I hardly ever buy new clothes. I do feel that life is too short (especially at our age) to deprive ourselves of little pleasures on occasion. Enjoyed this post dear friend... and wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a safe happy healthy New Year!

Rita said...

It is so nice of all of you to watch over your hiking friend. His wife obviously trusts you all. That says a lot...about all of you, him, and her. :) :)

Merry Christmas! May you have a year filled with adventures and good friends. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Dementia sucks. My Dad has some really bad days. It frustrates him. So glad your friend can still go on hikes and that you all watch over him.
Yes many blessings are counted here. Happy Christmas week to you!