I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 23, 2023

April 2023 comes to a close

Endless rows of tulips

This has been a very unusual spring in many parts of the country, perhaps even in the world. I suspect that we will not end up having experienced the coldest April ever, since the last week of the month will bring us normal, or close to normal, temperatures. This picture was taken last Thursday and the tulips are just now mostly up and showing their colors, late in the month for sure. It was perhaps one of the coldest visits I've ever made to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. It was mostly the wind, and the fact that we never saw the sun while we endured a twenty-mile-an-hour north wind. But it was worth it; we really enjoyed seeing all the tulips, especially the gorgeous purple ones like these.

I really don't mind cool weather and prefer it to hot days. But there is definitely a limit; we have not seen many days so far this year when we even reached 50°F (10°C). We have been hoping for more sunny days and warmer weather, and I hope I will not be looking back at these days and missing them. We never have many days around here when it gets really hot, even in August. But the way the weather has been behaving, who knows what the summer will bring us? I am just glad that we are not experiencing terrible windstorms or a massive deluge of rain. Just our usual stuff.

I have had a hard time trying to decide what I want to focus on in this post. Although it's difficult, I am determined to stay away from politics and the awful epidemic of gun shootings around the country. But it seems to be everywhere this past week: so many people accidentally shot (or killed) for making an innocent mistake, such as knocking on the wrong door, or someone shooting into a car without knowing who or what might be in it. This happens every day, but lately it's accelerated, or at least it seems that way to me.

What that does is make me fearful every time I leave my house to walk to the bus, head into the coffee shop, or the Senior Center. Looking around to see if there is anyone walking around looking like they're spoiling for a fight and might have a gun  or a knife. This is new for me. In my neighborhood and downtown on the main street, there are plenty of possible assassins on every corner. It doesn't help that there are so many homeless people trying to find shelter on a street corner with a blanket and little else. It makes me jumpy and I feel scared. 

The world is so different today that it was before the pandemic. Only a few short years ago I didn't see so much suffering. Is this because so many people have lost their homes and now have lost all hope? I don't know what else might have caused so much change in such a short period of time. Or is it just that I notice now what has been there all along, gaining momentum but nothing is actually new or different?

Perception is everything. It makes me realize that there is plenty around me every day that I miss because I'm not paying attention. And I'm not alone: on the bus there might be two dozen riders but everybody is looking down at the phones. I'll bet many of the people I see every day don't actually see other people as fellow humans, or even have awareness of anything other than their own internal dialogs. I wonder sometimes what they are looking at or reading, or listening to. Whatever it is, they are not present. Sometimes I am the ONLY person not looking at my phone.

Well, that's enough time thinking about what's wrong, but what about what's right with it all? If perception is everything, then I choose to perceive the beauty and delightful parts of life. Why not? I've changed my perception easily in the past, so I can do it here, now, today as well. Instead of looking for the worst, I can look for the happiness that also exists around me. Children on the school playground across the street, shouting and screaming with exuberance, running for no reason other than they can. Dogs out walking their humans in the early morning, both groups caring nothing about the light rain falling around them. Flowers everywhere, birds singing in the trees, all this puts a lilt into my own step as I walk through my neighborhood. Imagining happy families behind the doors of their homes, everyone with a full tummy and warm clothes. 
Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance. —Epicurus

 And while all this joy is happening around me, I am also thrilled to have finally become the proud owner of hearing aids. I look forward to putting them on again each morning, which I do while waiting for the water to boil for tea, knowing that I will hear the kettle as it begins its journey towards a whistle. I love my bionic ears! And the cacophony of birdsong I hear every morning is simply enough to bring me great joy. I know the song of perhaps a dozen different birds, but every once in awhile I hear a new one and wonder what it might be. What magnificent beings that can sing like that!

Ah, yes. What a difference perception can make. I now no longer feel that sense of fear, but instead look forward to my friend John coming to transport me to breakfast in a short while. He was down with a cold for four or five days, but he's back now. I missed him but managed quite well without his presence. I did feel a little lonely in the coffee shop, but he's back now and everything feels right again. I do hope you, my dear virtual family, will have a wonderful week ahead, and that you will also find out how to look on the bright side of life. We do have a choice here. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things, and that you will have abundant joy every moment of every day. Be well.

11 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes snowy April is almost done! Hopefully it will warm up enough to melt the dog gone snow! I see people walking and on their phones barely aware of traffic or others around them when in town. Time for me to give the Grands another small lecture about that! Put the phone away or turn it off:)
That is a beautiful photo of the tulips and thanks again for going! I hope you have a wonderful week! In a bit we are headed North to see Sadie and Little Elvis, I am having a tooth pulled Monday morning...and will be happy to have that over with:)

Marie Smith said...

It can be hard to focus on what’s good. Less time watching the news helps me. My husband has the attitude that if he wakes up in the morning, the rest is a bonus. He is rarely down as a result.

Nature helps too as you’ve said. We will walk with our grandchildren along the boardwalk today and marvel at the birds and rodents who will take peanuts from their hands. Life is good in our world if we don’t look too hard. Hey, we woke up this morning!

Have a great week, Jan.

Rian said...

I tend to agree with you, DJan, that perception is everything (or it can be). We create our worlds to some extent... choosing how we see things. I have found that not watching the news helps. I don't need to constantly be told the state of politics or the number of shootings, etc. Not that I want to be unaware, just not constantly badgered. After all, it is Spring - a beautiful time of year. We need to focus on seeing that beauty and enjoying it while we can.
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

Elephant's Child said...

I am a beauty addict and use it to focus my perception away from the myriad of things that bother me. Even on the darkest days there is a lot of beauty about - which comforts me. And, like other readers, I choose not to dwell on the news.

Linda Reeder said...

It's 11:00 on Sunday morning. the rain has stopped until this evening and the sun is shining. Tom will be able to get the lawn mowed before we leave tomorrow for a few days at the Whidbey Island cabin. I am looking forward to a change of scenery and hope not to be too dismayed by the weedy cabin garden that I can't do anything about. Tom will spend some time trying to get it under control, but there will be tulips blooming even in the weeds.
I keep up with the news and most of the shootings, but if you blink, you might miss one. However I do not let it get to me and I will not be afraid; aware, but not afraid. My mobility is still not good but I will not give up trying. I walked close to a mile again yesterday. The beach road will be a good place to continue my walking.
I find that making myself smile lightens my mood. Smile, be happy, keep walking and listening to bird songs.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, Lately I’ve been reflecting on my experience in the blogosphere over the last dozen years or so. Most of that time I’ve been following Eye on the Edge. It has truly been interesting to get your weekly take on life. This week’s nugget is, “Perception is everything. It makes me realize that there is plenty around me every day that I miss because I'm not paying attention.” I agree, and it’s true for me too. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.😊 John

William Kendall said...

Beautiful flowers. I look forward to them here.

Anvilcloud said...

After that hot week, our April has returned to normal. It isn’t good or bad, just April, and that is better than March although it likely not as good as June. 😀

Red said...

Yes, I like to look on the sunny side. The Micro Manager always accuses me of having rise colored glasses. There are many around us in difficult circumstances . It's hard for them to look on something with a poor future.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I am with the group that thinks the news is responsible for much of the fear and even some of the violence in our communities. It seems like they just try to find the stories and are the most terrorizing and controversial riling people up when it.

gigi-hawaii said...

Evil is always present no matter what period in time it is. Remember Hitler and the Holocaust?